Are you about starting a UAV (drone) photography business? If YES, here’s a complete sample aerial drone photography business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE to raise money.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a drone photography business. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample aerial drone photography marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for aerial drone photography companies. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- Executive Summary
- Market Analysis
- SWOT Analysis
- Financial Projection
- Marketing Plan
- Marketing ideas & Strategies
Why Start a Aerial Drone Photography Business?
Drone technology is rapidly gaining prominence in the globe beyond the military circuit. Drones are unmanned but controlled aircraft (aerial vehicle or unpiloted vehicle) used in the military during war to attack the enemy’s camp and also are used by the military for surveillance and to gather intelligence.
Drones are also used by the military to deliver foods to front line troops during war. Drones come in handy when the risk and difficulty involved in any military operation is high and unsafe for soldiers.
In recent time, the civilian community has started developing and making use of drones to carry out task such as surveying of vast farm lands (plantation), for delivery of parcels, to monitor and count wildlife and livestock, for geographical mapping, for search and rescue operations, for monitoring pipelines, for road patrol and for general commercial photography and motion picture film making.
There are a lot you need to know and learn about drone technology before making up your mind to go into aerial drone photography. Therefore, if you have decided to start an aerial drone photography business, then you should gather all the available materials you can get on drones and ensure that you read them up.
Your research will provide you with information of where to attend aerial drone photography training, how to source for aerial drone photography contract, the required tools and license for aerial drone photography business, aerial drone photography billing administration et al.
Since your intention of acquiring aerial drone photography training is to start your own aerial drone photography business, then you should make plans to write a comprehensive business plan. There is no point bothering yourself writing your business plan if you are not trained to do so, you can contract it to professionals whose job is to write business plans for business owners. All you need to do is to furnish them with all the required information and then pay the fee you are charged.
A Sample Aerial Drone Photography Business Plan Template
- Business Overview
Aerial photography is the taking of photographs of the ground from an elevated/direct-down position. Generally the camera is not supported by a ground-based structure. Platforms that are used for aerial photography include fixed-wing aircraft, helicopters, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs or “drones” as they are commonly called), balloons, blimps and dirigibles, rockets, pigeons, kites, parachutes, stand-alone telescoping and vehicle-mounted poles et al.
In all countries of the world where private investors are involved in aerial drone photography business, there are laws governing the industry. For example, in the United States, FAA guidelines stipulate that drones and other model aircraft must stay less than 400 feet above the ground and not within 3 miles of an airport or air traffic.
Some states in the US are strict when it comes to trespassing laws as well. Steering a drone over someone’s apartment and property could be considered a trespassing violation. Because anything capable of being viewed from a public space is considered outside the realm of privacy in the United States, aerial photography may legally document features and occurrences on private property.
On September 26, 2014, the FAA began granting the right to individuals and organizations to use drones in aerial film making. Operators are required to be licensed pilots and must keep the drone in view at all times and it is important to note that drones cannot be used to take pictures or film in areas where people might be put at risk.
The photography industry of which aerial drone photography business belongs to is indeed a very large and growing industry and pretty much active in the United States of America, Russia, Germany, Japan, China, South Korea and in most developed countries of the world.
If you are looking towards starting you’re an aerial drone photography business, then you should consider purchasing a 3D Robotics’ Iris or more popular models like DJI’s Phantom series. Generally, the GoPro Hero3 Black Edition is the standard when it comes to aerial videography and photography; it weighs only 73 grams and can record video (2,704×1,524 pixels) at 45Mbps.
It also features built-in Wi-Fi for downloading your footage and maximum compatibility with OEM and third-party accessories. You may want to see where you’re flying while steering a drone from the ground, for instance. To achieve this, you can use a tool like a video transmitter, such as the Immersion RC 5.8 GHz 600mw, which greatly increases the range of a 5.8GHz link, and then you can pair it with a Duo5800 or Uno5800 receiver on the ground to get noise-free video.
Over and above, the photography industry and the aerial drone photography line of business is a profitable industry and it is open for any aspiring entrepreneur to come in and establish his or her business; you can chose to start on a small scale working for just a private company or you can chose to start on a large scale working for both government establishments and large corporations who are into research and related businesses.
Aerial Drone Photography Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
A close observation of the Photography industry shows that the industry has experienced several changes as digital cameras and post – production technologies have increasingly affected players in the industry. So also the use of aerial drone photography is on the rise and more businesses are keying into the trend.
While photographers are benefiting from the changes by increasing their efficiency and availability, consumers are now able to take professional-quality images without the need of a specialist. Nevertheless, revenue is expected to improve slightly in the next five years as photo booths and photography companies focus on niche markets, such as wedding photography, children photography, documentary photography, events, sports and church directory photography, to sustain demand.
Lastly, it will be observed that on recent time, the FAA began granting the right to individuals and organizations to use drones in aerial film making. Operators are required to be licensed pilots and must keep the drone in view at all times and it is important to note that drones cannot be used to take pictures or film in areas where people might be put at risk.
- Our Target Market
The target market for those who need the services and products of aerial drone photography companies are all encompassing. It is a fact that there are some forms of photography that can’t be carried out except with the use of aerial drones or similar equipment / tools.
In view of that, we have positioned our aerial drone photography company to service the businesses, government agencies and corporate organizations Bay – Orleans, Massachusetts and every other in the United States of America and Canada. We have conducted our market research and we have ideas of what our target market would be expecting from us.
We are in the aerial drone photographic business to services clients such as;
- Businesses in the Agriculture Industry
- Film Makers
- Government agencies
- Every other organizations / businesses and individual who would need the services of an aerial drone photography company
Our Competitive Advantage
The competitions that exist in the aerial drone photography line of business may not be stiff simply because the business requires some level of technical skills and certifications. Although, the aerial drone photography business requires some form of trainings, certifications and expertise, it does not stop any serious minded entrepreneur to start the business and still make good profit out of this business.
Wide – Spread Pictures® Aerial Drone Photography Company is launching a standard aerial drone photography business that will indeed become the preferred choice of businesses and government agencies in Bay – Orleans, Massachusetts and in every other location where our business will be opened.
The strategic locations we intend covering, the business model we will be operating on, ease of payment, wide range of products and our excellent customer service culture will definitely count as a competitive advantage for Wide – Spread Pictures® Aerial Drone Photography Company. So also we have a well – experienced and qualified team that can go all the way to give our clients value for their money; a team that are trained and equipped to pay attention to details.
Lastly, our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category (startups photography / aerial drone photography companies) in the industry meaning that they will be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our aims and objectives.
Aerial Drone Photography Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Before choosing locations for launching our aerial drone photography business, we conduct a thorough market survey and feasibility studies in order for us to be able to be able to penetrate the available market and become the preferred choice for corporate organizations, business and government agencies in Bay – Orleans, Massachusetts and other cities in the United States and Canada.
We have detailed information and data that we were able to utilize to structure our business to attract the numbers of customers we want to attract per time.
We hired experts who have good understanding of the aerial drone photography / photography industry to help us develop marketing strategies that will help us achieve our business goal of winning a larger percentage of the available market in Bay – Orleans, Massachusetts and every other city we intend marketing our services.
In other to continue to be in business and grow, we must continue to attract clients to patronize our products and services which is why we will go all out to empower or sales and marketing team to deliver. In summary, Wide – Spread Pictures® Aerial Drone Photography Company will adopt the following sales and marketing approach to win customers over;
- Introduce our business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to corporate organizations, businesses in the agriculture sector, film makers, research organizations and key stake holders in Bay – Orleans and throughout the United States and Canada.
- Print handbills about our aerial drone photography business and its locations and drop them in public facilities.
- Advertise on the internet on blogs and forums, and also on social media like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn to get our message across, so that those on the social media or those who read blogs can know where to go when they need the services of an aerial drone photographer
- Creating a basic website for our business, so as to give our business an online presence
- Directly market our aerial drone photography business.
- Join local photography / aerial drone photography associations for industry trends and tips
- Provide discount days for our customers
- Advertise our business in community based newspapers, local TV and radio stations
- List our business on yellow pages ads (local directories)
- Encourage the use of word of mouth marketing (referrals)
Aerial Drone Photography Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Despite the fact that our aerial drone photography company will be well located, we will still go ahead to intensify publicity for the business. We are going to explore all available means to promote our aerial drone photography business.
Wide – Spread Pictures® Aerial Drone Photography Company has a long term plan of covering various locations in major cities in the United States and Canada which is why we will deliberately build our brand to be well accepted in Bay – Orleans, Massachusetts before venturing out. As a matter of fact, our publicity and advertising strategy is not solely for winning customers over but to effectively communicate our brand.
Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Wide – Spread Pictures® Aerial Drone Photography Company;
- Place adverts on both print (community based newspapers and magazines) and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook , twitter, et al to promote our brand
- Install our Bill Boards on strategic locations all around Bay Orleans – Massachusetts
- Engage in road show from time to time
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
- Position our Flexi Banners at strategic positions in the location where our photo booths are located.
- Ensure that all our workers wear our branded shirts and all our aerial drones, vehicles are well branded with our company’s logo et al.
Our Pricing Strategy
Pricing is one of the key factors that gives leverage to aerial drone photography business, it is normal for consumers to go to places where they can get good deals or hire the services of a company that can give them good bargain for their money. We are aware of this trend which is why we have put structures in place that will enable us charge fees that are a little below the industry’s average.
We will ensure that we reduce our overhead, and we are ready to run on low profit margin for the first six months of launching the business just for the purpose of attracting loyal clients and build our clientele base.
- Payment Options
At Wide – Spread Pictures® Aerial Drone Photography Company, our payment policy will be all inclusive because we are quite aware that different people prefer different payment options as it suits them. Here are the payment options that we will make available to our clients;
- Payment by via bank transfer
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via bank draft
- Payment with cash
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will help us achieve our plans with little or no itches.
Generating Funding / Startup Capital for Wide – Spread Pictures® Aerial Drone Photography Company
Wide – Spread Pictures® Aerial Drone Photography Company is a private business that is solely owned and financed by Rev. George Canton – Freeman and his family. We do not intend to welcome any external business partners; which is why we have decided to restrict the sourcing of the start – up capital to 3 major sources.
Since they are the sole financier of the business, they have decided to adopt the following means to generate start – up capital for the business;
- Generate part of the start – up capital from personal savings
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from my Bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $50,000 (Personal savings $40,000 and soft loan from family members $10,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $300,000 from our bank. All the papers and document have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited with the amount.
Aerial Drone Photography Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the numbers of loyal customers that they have the capacity and competence of the employees, their investment strategy and the business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business (company), then it won’t be too long before the business close shop.
One of our major goals of starting Wide – Spread Pictures® Aerial Drone Photography Company is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without the need for injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running. We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to deliver excellent jobs at all times
Wide – Spread Pictures® Aerial Drone Photography Company will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and re – training of our workforce is at the top burner.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of three years or more. We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
Check List / Milestone
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing standard photo booths: In Progress
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Leasing of our corporate office and remodeling the facility : In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging Marketing / Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed aerial drone photography equipment, furniture, racks, shelves, computers, electronic appliances, office appliances and CCTV: In Progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party / launching party planning: In Progress
- Compilation of our list of products that will be available in our various photo booths location: Completed
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – suppliers of all our needed products and photo booths et al: In Progress