Are you about starting a beach resort? If YES, here is a complete sample beach resort business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a beach resort business. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample beach resort marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for beach resort businesses. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Why Start a Beach Resort Business?
A beach resort is not a new business in the hospitality industry; it has long been in existence but only just recently like several decades back revolved into a better package than before. It is usually a place of fun and relaxation for locals and tourists who want to be close to the beach, while still enjoying the amenities of a resort. A beach resort is like other resorts but is usually situated close to the beach, and is a place for fun lovers and those seeking a retreat of sorts.
This is a business that would require you needing a knowledgeable business consultant to help carry out the necessary research that will allow you determine if the business is worth putting in finances and time into. The business consultant also has the task of pointing you to opportunities that you might need to explore if you wish to have an edge over your competitors.
The next thing you will need to consider in running this kind of business is getting a business plan written. Writing a business plan is not an easy task and you can consult the services of a professional business plan writer to help you in writing a professional plan, as whoever you approach for a loan will need to see your business plan and decide if the business would be worthy enough for investment.
It is for this reason that there is a sample beach resort business plan prepared below to act as a guide in the business you intend to start off.
A Sample Beach Resort Business Plan Template
- Business Overview
The social media has been a big driver of the beach resort trend because platforms such as Instagram has taken presentation to a whole new level as potential customers want to see something exciting and unique before they can be tempted to part with their money.
The hospitality industry which consists of hotels and resorts has experienced a strong growth from 2010 to 2015. The growth has been due to increased travel globally due to a boom in international tourism. The next five years (2011 to 2016) will see this industry continue to boom, as the economy grows and allows more consumers to have more funds in which they will use for vacationing and beach resort trips.
The industry is seen as an $864 billion with a projected annual growth of 4.3% that has employed over 700,000 businesses that have employed over 4 million people.
Globally however, Europe and the Asia Pacific has continued to lead in the beach resorts business due to a large number of beaches in these continents, while the Middle East and Africa has led in the area of having expensive rates.
The consumer group for beach resorts is rising and will continue to do so in 2017 as more people will use their mobile devices as well as apps to check out beach resorts and make their reservations or cancel them.
Resorts are now competing with hotels in terms of allowing customers have seminars, conferences, conventions and symposiums. This has opened up more of the target market for the resort business allowing them tap into areas that were majorly for hotels.
Also, beach resorts have received a boost from couples who prefer the privacy and simplicity to that of hotels. This is also another target market that has been opened up for the resort business.
Beach Resort Business Plan – Executive Summary
Scapy Beach Resort is a standard resort in Nevada – Las Vegas that was established to cater to the locals as well as visitors and tourists and also to make profit as well. We will offer our customers the ultimate place for them to have fun and relax. We also have rooms for rent for those that intend to stay over for a little while.
Our location across three acres of waterfront property has afforded us a vantage point over our competitors as we are located close to one of the world’s famous beaches that attract locals and visitors alike. We intend to fully utilize our location to full advantage.
Our vision is to ensure that we are the preferred beach resort in the United States of America as well as the whole world and that we attain this goal by the year 2020. To achieve this we will go through the extra mile of picking those that would best serve the purposes of our resort.
Our management staff has been well picked due to their vast experience and knowledge of the industry and these kinds of businesses and we are confident that they would help bring our business to where we intend it to be. Asides from having the experience, our management staff also believes in our core values.
We have picked competent employees that we know are capable of making sure our beach resort become top class. Our employees know that they must constantly communicate the brand to the clients through their actions. We intend to pay our employees well and also ensure that the atmosphere they work in is conducive and motivating enough.
Our marketing executives have been empowered to draft and implement strategies that will not only make us penetrate the target market but also make us stand out from others. We intend to engage in intense publicity to ensure that we create awareness about our beach resort to our community, state and the whole United States of America.
We will not relent in ensuring that we offer our customers excellent service when it comes to customer care. Therefore, our customer care executives as well as those working on the front desk have been adequately trained to attend to the inquiries and complaints of customers promptly.
Finally, our two owners are the best that can be gotten in the industry. Mr. Shawn Michaels and Mr. James Pardon have the required expertise and experience needed to bring Scapy Beach Resort to its intended standard. Mr. Shawn Michaels is a business man with a Business degree and masters from Harvard University and also has several qualifications in Project Management. Mr. James Pardon has a degree in Hospitality and has been in the industry for a long while working in several resorts and hotels and has the experience that would come in handy at Scapy Beach Resorts.
- Our Products and Services
Scapy Beach Resort is a major tourist destination that intends to offer its customers several services all aimed at generating fun and relaxation. We are strategically located in an area which we intend to maximize to our benefit.
Even though our core service is to ensure that all our various customers can relax and have fun as well, we intend to ensure that we create other multiple sources of income that will also generate revenue for our business and boost our bottom line as is legally permissible in Las Vegas as well as in the whole United States of America.
Some of the services and products that we intend to offer at Scapy Beach Resort are;
- Room rentals for private and corporate individuals
- Sales of drinks and food
- Facility rental for private and corporate events
- Consultancy and advisory services
Our Vision Statement
To become a major tourist destination for those looking for fun as well as relaxation in one place. To become the major preferred vacation destination for locals and visitors alike.
- Our Mission Statement
To ensure we achieve this vision, we intend to be located in a strategically attractive place which will be close to the town’s major attractions. Our mission is to be the most preferred beach tourist destination in Las Vegas and the whole United States of America by 2020.
- Our Business Structure
Scapy Beach Resort is a standard beach resort located in Nevada – Las Vegas, with a strategic foundation and corporate business values. At Scapy Beach Resort, we intend to start and run our business by ensuring that we do not slack off on the human resources we intend to use in ensuring that our business attains its envisioned heights.
Our hired staff will not only be competent and experienced, they will also be used in the right positions that we intend for them. We will ensure that our management staff for instance, not only understand our core values and the direction we intend to take bus also be able to communicate this to the staff who work under them. This way we would be able to carry everyone along in ensuring that we attain our set goals and objectives.
Due to the fact that we intend for the resort to run smoothly with as few hitches as possible, we will continually train our workers so that they are able to have enhanced skills that are not only necessary to help the business grow but also set them apart from their peers in the hospitality industry here in Nevada – Las Vegas as well as in the whole of the United States of America.
Therefore, below is the business structure we intend to build at Scapy Beach Resort;
- Chief Executive Officer
- General Manager
- Facility Manager
- Human Resources
- Admin Manager
- Customer Service Executives/Reception
- Purchasing Manager
- Inventory Manager
- Marketing Executives
- Security Guards
Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer
- Makes the relevant decisions that will affect the overall directions of the company
- Meets with high level customers and corporations to carry on behalf of the company
- Liaises with the General Manager for effective running of the beach resort.
- In charge of ensuring that all the departments are effectively coordinated
- Makes strategic decisions in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer on behalf of the resort
- In charge of ensuring that the beach resort is up to standard
- Oversees the daily affairs on the beach resort
- Resolves light issues on behalf of the general manager
- Responsible for sourcing and recruiting the right employees for Scapy Beach Resort
- Carries out periodical performance appraisals and ensure that hard-working employees are appropriately rewarded with promotions or other incentives
- Creates an efficient welfare package for the employees
- Responsible for smooth administrative functions in the organization
- In charge of all the records from all the various departments of Scapy Beach Resort
- Liaises with the accountant to ensure that budget implementation is utilized
Customer Service Executives/Reception
- In charge of answering inquiries and questions from customers either physically or via phone calls
- Possesses updated information about Scapy Beach Resort so as to be able to pass reliable information to customers
- Keeps and update customer database on behalf of Scapy Beach Resort
- Prepares all the financial information on behalf of Scapy Beach Resort
- Drafts and ensure that the budget for Scapy Beach Resort is effectively implemented
- Helps Scapy Beach Resort prepare and file tax reports for the relevant tax authorities
- In charge of procuring supplies on behalf of Scapy Beach Resort
- Works with the accounting and inventory manager to know what items need to be procured
- Responsible for sourcing for reliable vendors and distributors and keeping a mutually satisfying relationship with them
- In charge of all the stocks that are being used at Scapy Beach Resort such as food, drinks, stationeries and cleaning supplies
- Ensures that inventories are not depleted before being re-stocked
- Works with the purchasing manager to sort out the needs of Scapy Beach Resort
- Responsible for conducting a marketing research to continually identify target market and prospective customers
- Drafts and implements effective marketing strategies for Scapy Beach Resort
- Meets and negotiates with high end clients and corporations on behalf of Scapy Beach Resort
- Ensures that accurate supplies that tallies with the vouchers are being picked up and delivered at the resort whenever the need arises
- In charge of the vehicle and any light maintenance work that might need to be carried out
- Ensures that all they abide with all the rules and regulations on the road whilst driving
- Ensure that the beach resort is kept clean at all times
- Ensures that the rest rooms for guests and employees are cleaned as frequently as possible
- Ensure that cleaning supplies are adequately stocked and that depleted stocks are re-stocked
- Monitors the surveillance cameras and ensure that all is well
- Ensures that the premises is secured at all times especially when there are customers at the beach resort
- Gives out security tips to all employees and also have updated knowledge as regards security.
Beach Resort Business Plan – SWOT Analysis
Due to the fact that we intend to run a standard beach resort in Nevada – Las Vegas, we had to engage the services of reputable business consultants here in Las Vegas who helped us look through our business concept in order to determine how suited we were for the marketplace and to run the business generally.
These business consultants conducted a thorough analysis of our business using SWOT (Strength, Weakness, Opportunities, and Threats) to determine the likelihood of growth and survival for our beach resort business. The following results were what were gotten from the SWOT analysis conducted on behalf of Scapy Beach Resorts:
Our strength lies in that fact that we are located in one of the most popular beaches in the world, which means more customers are likely to visit our resorts than others. Also, we have competent employees who understand the hospitality business as well as our goals and are ready to ensure that we achieve our intended goals.
Finally our owners have vast experience in the hospitality and in running businesses too, and so they will bring forth their experience to bear on the business.
Like any other business, we have certain weaknesses in the fact that we are located in a city that has enough beach resorts, this can be taken to mean that the market here is saturated, and so we would need several strategies to be able to break off this weakness and excel amongst other beach resorts. We are positive that our strategies are effective enough to enable us break off any weakness.
The opportunities available in this field are limitless, as people always come to the beach to have fun or relax almost on a daily basis. Also, there are peak periods which mean that at certain times, more customers than the usual are likely to come to the resort.
Dealing with threats is not alien to any business and so we expect to deal with a few before we start up the business and also during the course of running the business. Threats such as government regulations, a downturn in the economy as well as arrival of competitors to our same location, are likely to occur; however, we have several strategies in place to combat these threats should they occur.
Beach Resort Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
The hospitality industry of which the beach resort is a part of has been in existence for a long time now, and has seen various market positive and negative trends, which have resulted from the state of the economy. Therefore any entrepreneur intending to start this business must be ready to carry out market research about the industry and also about the location, he or she intends to run the business from, this is so as to be able to come up with unique services that will keep the various existing customers loyal to the resort and also attract potential customers as well.
Also, while beach resorts have been seen as a place where people go to relax and have fun, it is also used for several other events and occasions such as weddings, business meetings, seminars and so on. This therefore means that it is very necessary for beach resorts to be able to generate revenues from other sources as well as their primary source.
Finally in this age, more businesses have been able to penetrate the market as well as come up with different ways to stay in touch with the customers through the internet as well as technology. The internet is a home to various websites, blogs and forums suitable for promoting the business via intense publicity and advertisement.
Also, most businesses in the hospitality industry have come up with having mobile apps that will help their customers quickly avail themselves of the various services offered by the resort and know when new services have been introduced.
- Our Target Market
The hospitality industry in which the beach resort is a part of is one where there are always available customers at several times in the year. This means that our target market is not limited to a certain group of people but to everyone who is looking for clean fun or somewhere to ease of stress and relax. This is the major reason why we are located in Nevada – Las Vegas, because the strategic location affords us the opportunity of being close to our target market.
However to understand our target market and know what they expected from us we conducted a market research. This market research would also help us better draft the various advertising and marketing strategies that would be needed to grow the business. We are therefore in this industry to offer our services to the following group of people such as;
- Corporate executives
- Celebrities and high classed personalities
- Business people
- Sporting personalities
- Event planners
Our Competitive Advantage
Scapy Beach Resort was established to not only become a major tourist destination for those looking for fun as well as relaxation in one place, but to be the preferred vacation and relation destination for locals, visitors and tourists alike by the year 2020.
Due to this declaration, we came up with certain competitive strategies that will allow us compete against already established beach resort centers as well as those who were still young but already thriving here in Nevada – Las Vegas.
One competitive strategy we intend to have is to ensure that we offer unique services that will keep our customers hooked. We also intend to hire experienced and competent hands that will ensure that they grow the business to an enviable standard that will allow us achieve our goals and objectives.
We also intend to have an excellent customer care that will be referred to as the best in the industry. Our customer care executives will be highly trained to handle all the inquiries of our customers.
Lastly, we intend to ensure that our employees are well taken care of, such as having a good pay and welfare packages. This will keep them highly motivated and will ensure that their productivity rate is high.
Beach Resort Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
Sources of Income
Scapy Beach Resorts is a tourist and vacation place in the hospitality industry that has been established with the aim of providing fun and relaxation to our different customers in the United States of America as well as from other countries.
We are in business to ensure that our customers have the best time in our resort through the different services that we would be offering them. Scapy Beach Resorts will therefore generate income by offering the following services;
- Room rentals for private and corporate individuals
- Sales of drinks and food
- Facility rental for private and corporate events
- Consultancy and advisory services
People are always on the look-out for a place to relax and have fun, and a beach is one of such places, therefore starting a beach resort especially close to the most popular beaches in Nevada – Las Vegas will ensure that people will always patronize us.
Due to our strategic location, we are therefore favorably disposed to generate enough revenue that will ensure that we start to make profit during our one year of operations. The sales projection which we prepared with the help of a hired sales analyst carried out a thorough analysis on the market here in Las Vegas and also generally and with accurate data, collated the following sales forecast.
Therefore, the sales projection for Scapy Beach Resort which is based on our business concept and location are:
- First Fiscal Year-: $1,200,000
- Second Fiscal Year-: $2,400,000
- Third Fiscal Year-: $4,800,000
N.B: The above projection is based on the fact that all peak periods will remain the same and that the economy will remain stable. It is also based on the fact we would not have any beach resort of our size and offering similar services start up near us within the above three year period. However, should there be any change in any of the listed factors; it is likely to have a positive or negative impact on our sales projection.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Generating capital for a business is only a part of starting the business, what keeps the business in existence in revenue generation, which comes from marketing. Marketing can then be referred to as one important aspect of the business that ensures that a business continues to be in existence from the moment it was conceived as an idea and became a reality.
Before any marketing strategies can be developed, we intend to carry out a thorough market research. This market research will enable us understand the market we intend to cater to and how best we will penetrate and get a share out of the target market. It will also enable us to know what will be required from us by our target market to attract and retain their attention.
In carrying out this market research, we were privy to utilizing important data and information that would help ensure that we compete favorably against other beach resorts in Nevada – Las Vegas and also in the whole United States of America.
To help conduct this market research, we used the services of a reputable marketing analyst who with our marketing executives utilized the data properly and crafted marketing and sales strategy that would be used to set us apart from our competitors and also increase our awareness in the market place whilst also generating the revenue we would need to grow and expand.
One major tool that we would not ignore in ensuring that we penetrate the target market is the use of the internet. The internet is a vast place that when used for marketing purposes is known to penetrate the target market faster, and being able to draw more customers than the normal conventional method. For this purpose we intend to use our website, advertise on various blogs and forums and also use our social media platforms to engage and attract customers.
Therefore, we at Scapy Beach Resort intend to use the following sales and marketing measures in attracting customers;
- Ensure that we throw a grand launching party that will attract a large number of people in Nevada – Las Vegas to attend and also create awareness in the whole of the United States of America
- Place adverts in local newspapers and magazines, as well as on radio and television stations
- Ensure that Scapy Beach Resort is listed in offline and online directories
- Engage in direct marketing to individuals and corporate businesses
- Ensure that we advertise our beach resort business on our website, and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as well as in other popular blogs and forums
- Encourage our customers via discounts and incentives to refer us to others
Beach Resort Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Even though our beach resort will be standard where we intend to not only make profit but to also compete favorably with all our competitors – big and small, we fully intend to ensure that we carry out intense publicity so as to ensure that our brands get the necessary awareness and also so as to attract customers to patronize our services at Scapy Beach Resort.
We know the importance of engaging in vigorous publicity campaigns if the company aims to grow and make profit as we will do all we can to ensure that our publicity strategies are on top of the game. We intend to be in the hospitality business for a long time and so we will deliberately ensure that we build our brand in such a way that we are not only known in and around Las Vegas but also in the whole United States of America.
Therefore, our publicity strategies will not only advertise our brand but also communicate the said brand effectively to our customers. Some of the publicity and advertising strategies we intend to use for our Scapy beach resort business are;
- Ensure that we place adverts in magazines and local newspapers, and also on radio and television stations
- Engage in several relevant community programs
- Install Bill Boards in strategic locations all around Nevada – Las Vegas
- Distribute our handbills and fliers in strategic areas
- Leverage on social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to use in promoting our brands
- Give out discounts at certain times in order to create awareness and attract customers
Our Pricing Strategy
Determining the pricing for a service oriented business can be very tricky as several factors such as the location, the popularity of the resort, and the services offered need to be determined. Due to this, it would be reasonable to employ detailed strategies that would help determine the right pricing for several of the services that would be offered at the beach resorts.
However, since we are relatively new in the business, we would need to employ a different mode to our pricing in the first three months of business, by lowering the rates for our services during this period. The aim of lowering our rates for a particular period is so as to increase awareness for our beach resort and also attract the various customers to our beach resort. Lowering our prices do not mean that we would run at a loss, as this is not the intention of establishing the business at all.
- Payment Options
Due to the fact that we would be offering different services at our beach resort, we also intend to offer different payment policies to our various customers to suit whatever service they intend to use and whichever mode they would prefer to pay for such service.
Therefore the different payment options that we intend in our beach resort are;
- Payment by cash
- Payment via credit card
- Payment via check
- Payment via Point of Sale (POS) Machine
- Payment via online bank transfer
The above payment platforms were carefully chosen for us by our bank, which has assured us that these payment plans will run smoothly with no hitches.
- Start – Up Expenditure (Budget)
A beach resort business is one that requires lots of capital to start off, especially if you intend running something that is of the required standard. Therefore in our beach resort business, the capital we intend to generate will be used to get and construct several facilities and also pay the salaries of employees as well as some bills that would be incurred during the course of running the business.
The key areas where we therefore intend to spend our start-up on are;
- Business registration fees in the United State of America – $1,000
- Obtaining of licenses and permits as well as accounting software – $2,500
- Cost of leasing, constructing and renovating facility for at least a year plus labour charges – $500,000
- Cost of hiring business consultants – $10,000
- Insurance coverage (general liability, property insurance, workers’ compensation) – $5,000
- Operating expenses which includes employees salaries and bills payment for at least 6 months – $230,000
- Marketing and publicity expenses (general marketing expenses and targeted marketing expenses for grand opening) – $20,000
- Other start-up administrative expenses (furniture, computer, phones, printers, stationeries – $20,000
- Cost of equipping the resort with drinks and food for at least 6 months – $50,000
- Cost of setting up storage (bins, wine racks, drink and food shelves, wine barrels) – $10,000
- Cost of purchasing official delivery van and vehicles – $100,000
- Cost of launching a website – $1,500
- Cost of throwing a grand opening party – $10,000
- Miscellaneous – $40,000
From the above estimate, we would need the sum of $1,000,000 to be able to successfully set up and start our beach resort business in Nevada – Las Vegas. The above amount will cover certain fixed and operating expenses such as leasing and renovating the intended facility we intend to use for a year as well as paying the salaries of employees and certain bills for at least 6 months of operations.
Generating Funding / Startup Capital for Scapy Beach Resort Business
Scapy Beach Resort is owned and operated by two partners Mr. Shawn Michaels and Mr. James Pardon, two men who have different expertise in areas that would be beneficial to the beach resort. The partners have decided therefore to generate capital from the following sources.
The three areas where we intend to generate start-up capital from are;
- Personal savings and sale of certain stocks
- Loan from commercial bank
- Loan from commercial lender in the hospitality industry
N.B: We were able to generate the sum of $150,000 from our personal savings and sale of certain stocks. We approached a commercial lender in the hospitality industry and got a loan of $350,000. We also, approached our personal bank for a loan and the sum of $500,000 has been approved for our beach resort business, and will soon be credited to our accounts as soon as we sign off the last paper works.
Beach Resort Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Just like any other business, we are established to generate revenue and then make profit that would not only sustain our beach resort business but also expand it as well. However, to achieve this, there are certain factors that we would need to consider in order to achieve our sustainability and expansion objective.
One of the major factors that would be considered in Scapy Beach Resort is how to generate revenue for our core services and how to ensure that we have multiple sources of income springing up from the core services and generating money for the resort as well so that we do not to get cash from outside sources to inject life into the business.
One way to generate revenue for our business is to ensure that we take good care of our customers and offer them the best services, so that they can always patronize us and also tell others about us. Another factor to be considered is the competence of the employee that we intend to employ to help run our beach resort business.
We will hire experienced hands who understand our goals and objectives and knows how to bring the business from where it is to where it should be. We will ensure that we not only pay our employees very well but that we also ensure that they work in a conducive environment, have great welfare packages and are also offered incentives so that they would remain committed to achieving the goals and objectives of Scapy Beach Resort.
Finally, we intend to have the best customer service that will make customer feel at home no matter their inquiries and requests. We will also strive to resolve complaints on time so that our customers will have no reason to not want to patronize our services. We know that if this is diligently done, we would be able to sustain our business and eventually grow and expand in future.
Check List / Milestone
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging Marketing / Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party / launching party planning: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – wholesale suppliers / merchants: In Progress
- Purchase of trucks: Completed