Do you want to learn what it takes to become a Yoga instructor? If YES, here is a complete guide plus requirements needed to become a Yoga instructor online.
Every profession has its own special mode of operation, even though they are all geared towards making the practitioner earn a living and have impact in the society. There are some professions that only require that the practitioner only give instruction to people on a particular skill or knowledge. However, the profession of a yoga instructor is one of those few professions.
The profession of a yoga instructor might tend to be odd or unfamiliar to people in some countries of the world but it is a very popular and interesting career for people to specify in, especially in countries like United State of America, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia.
The profession of a yoga instructor is an interesting career but you really need to know what the profession really entails so as to be called an expert in this field. This is why all the steps that is to be learned how to be taken with all seriousness.
What is a Yoga Instructor?
A yoga instructor is a professional practitioner that specializes in teaching people yoga and in turn makes good money from it. He is none other person than an instructor; a fitness professional that specializes in teaching yoga (the low-impact exercise that uses controlled postures and breathing techniques to improve flexibility and strength).
To become a professional yoga instructor that can specialize in any style, comprehensive and specialized training is required and you must be certified and licensed to practice in any country or state you want to practice. All yoga instructors must complete a training program in yoga and, within the field, so as to have the opportunity of specializing option in any particular field.
The job of a professional yoga instructor does not necessarily require a particular office or place of work for its propagation, a yoga instructor work is mobile because it could be practiced in any area and it can as well be carried out in the gym, fitness shop, the instructors place or the learners place.
The profession of yoga instructor doesn’t necessarily require the practitioner of the profession to look for job, as a yoga instructor can establish and work on his own after getting the license but yoga instructors can as well be employed in fitness places, gym centers and even health centers. He can also work on various categories of people; be it children, youths or adults.
Duties of a Yoga Instructor and their Job Description
To attend to clients and to perform the profession in an efficient manner, the yoga instructor has to be trained to perform some very necessary roles. Some of the major duties of a yoga instructor includes but not limited to the following:
- Monitoring fitness level and requirements of all participants and design classes to suit individual need.
- Developing and maintaining professional relationship with participants and ensure optimal level of customer services.
- Preparing and promoting schedule for group fitness and assisting participant to attend fitness classes.
- Performing and demonstrating all yoga exercises to participants and ensuring of compliance to safety and health standards.
- Assisting participants to perform all exercises effectively.
- Evaluating exercises perform by participants and recommending correction whenever required.
- Maintaining neat and clean exercise room at all times.
- Coordinating with participants and counseling them on lifestyle and diet issues to ensure healthy body and mind.
- Analyzing each participant requirement and developing exercises to suit every individual.
- Designing safe and comprehensive yoga programs for various participants from diverse group.
- Preparing groups for classes and demonstrating exercise for them.
- Informing participants in various forms of yoga and its effect on body and mind.
- Monitoring participant’s performance and recommending different form of yoga if required.
- Ensuring appropriate ambience for participants to perform yoga exercises.
- Ensuring customer satisfaction and assisting in answering all participant queries.
Tools of the Trade for a Yoga Instructor
Every profession has tools for carrying out in the profession in an efficient way. Therefore the profession of a yoga instructor has some basic tools that the practitioner must possess, so as to offer his clients the best service they need. Although a yoga instructor gives more of instructions to his client but he still uses some of the following handy tools:
- Yoga mat
- Yoga blocks
- Yoga belts
- Yoga ropes
How to Become a Yoga Instructor Online – A Complete Guide
- Facts, Figures and Labor market Situation for Yoga Instructors
The profession of a yoga instructor is an interesting career with an excellent labor market that is favorable to the practitioners and fascinating to other people outside the profession. This is because the profession is one of the few professions that one can practice and still have the opportunity of venturing into any other independent profession.
Here are some very few interesting facts and figures;
- According to the National Bureau of Labor Statistic, the overall employment of yoga instructors is expected to grow by 12 percent from 2012 to 2022. The projection is as fast as the average for all occupations.
- The experts have even said that the profession will spur faster in a faster mode through the next decade, majorly because there is increment in the number of people that are striving hard to learn yoga and remain fit at all time, coupled with health challenges that is facing the whole country of the world.
- The profession is really an interesting career to specify at, provided you are ready to see beyond the challenges it involves and you will rejoice at the end as the profession is one with a glorious future.
Impact of the Internet on the Profession of a Yoga Instructor
The impact of internet of technology as related to the profession of a yoga instructor could be categorized into two major parts, which are known as positive and negative. To start with the positive impact of internet and technology, here are some facts;
- The yoga instructors can now equipped themselves with the new yoga practices by accessing the internet and by the help of the new technological equipment that are evolving in the world this days, yoga is now made easier and simpler for both the instructor and the students that are learning yoga.
- On the other hand, the internet and technology is serving as a set back to the profession of a yoga instructor in the sense that yoga students and other people that want to learn yoga can easily go online to learn it without the help of any instructor. For instance, there are now several yoga tutorials and videos on various websites like YouTube that people that want to learn yoga can easily access to gain the knowledge of any form of yoga techniques that they want.
Professional Bodies and Associations for Yoga Instructor
- International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT)
- National Association of Certified Yoga Teachers (NACYT)
- The American Yoga Association (AYA)
- International Yoga Teachers Association
- Australian Association of Yoga Therapist
- Yoga Association of Australia
- Canadian Yoga Alliance (CYA)
- Yoga Association of Canada
- The British Wheel of Yoga (BWY)
- International Yoga Federation (IYF)
Career ideas / Sub-sectors That Exists Within the Profession of a Yoga Instructor
- children yoga instructor
- yoga teachers
- yoga boxers
- yoga mediator
- private yoga instructors
- yoga researchers
Benefits of Becoming a Yoga Instructor
- Health benefit: A natural consequence of becoming a yoga teacher is that it will help you take yoga practice to a whole new level with advanced techniques and poses that will increase your own health and fitness.
- Increment in energy level: it is well known that the best way to learn is to teach others and by using newly acquired skills, you can help novice obtain perfection in their personal yoga practices and as well increase your own energy levels by teaching yoga.
- Job satisfaction: by teaching yoga, you will be satisfied with yourself; as you will be mentally and physically fit. You would as well have the opportunity of working within a favorable time-frame and still earn a reasonable amount that would give you job satisfaction.
- Various employment opportunities: as a yoga instructor, you will not be confined to practicing in a particular place as yoga is a universal job that can be performed world-wide and you can take your career with you wherever you go.
- Your Own Boss: Being a yoga instructor means that you have the right to be your own boss. You can decide to draw up your own time table for your business.
Factors Discouraging People from Becoming a Yoga Instructors
Yoga instructors are trainers’ professionals, who train the populace how to develop their physical and mental mind-set. But despite their distinctive roles in the society, there are many challenges/factors discouraging people from venturing into the profession. These factors vary and are wide in scope; they include but are not limited to the following:
- Job Popularity: Yoga instructors are not really popular professionals in most part of the world. In many countries of the world, they are not known or rarely heard about. Therefore, due to this lack of popularity in the profession, many persons are discouraged from venturing into the practice of the profession.
- Nature of the profession: The nature of the yoga instructor’s profession is that it is a profession that involves physical and strenuous activities. These activities which are part of what these professionals do, can easily discourage people from going into the practice of the profession.
- Lack of professional respect: In some countries of the world, like the United Kingdom, anybody can venture into the practice of the yoga profession even without any certification or education. This creates an avenue for people to disregard the profession and those who practice it, thereby discouraging people from wanting to venture into the profession, as many persons prefer professions where their dignity and respect will never be tampered with.
How Much Do Yoga Instructors Earn Monthly/Annually
Yoga instructors are one of the booming professionals in the world. Their importance to the development of the mental and physical fitness of persons cannot be over-emphasized. Just recently the CNNmoney listed the Yoga Instructors as the 10th most financially rewarding job in the world. Therefore, their salary which varies from countries competes reasonably with that of their contemporaries in other professions. The salaries of Yoga Instructors in some countries are as follows:
In The United States of America
- A yoga instructor salary will differ according to each state, the industry for which he or she is working and the popularity that he or she could gain across the years. While the national salaries for yoga instructors were divided between the range of $17,080per year and up to $63,450 per year, and in between.
- For those working in the recreation and amusement industries, it is mandatory to make an average income of $37,264 per year. Those who work in the social organizations are paid about $30,867 per year, while those who work in schools gain an average salary of $33,132 per year. Those who work in the hospital environment earn an average salary that will reach at $35,710 per year, while those who work with the local government earn an average salary that reaches $34,350 per year.
- According to states, the highest paying state for a yoga instructor can be found in New York with an annual average salary of $52,020 per year, followed by District of Columbia- where a young instructor will reach out and gain a salary of $48,815 per year.
- Yoga instructors in Canada are also treated well just like their contemporaries in other countries. In Canada, a yoga instructor will earn a salary that ranges between C$20,871 and C$128,597 per year while the average salary in Canada is of C$58,756 per year.
- The states with highest payment in Canada for the yoga instructor are Ontario with an hourly pay comprised between C$12.10 and C$81.72 and Alberta with an hourly payment rate estimated between C$39.32 and C$55.97 per hour.
In the United Kingdom
- In the United Kingdom, another country where the yoga instructors are well admired, they have a price that will vary between £11 and £16 per session. A full employed yoga instructor will earn in UK an annual salary that reaches between £15,010 and £60,000 per year.
- A yoga instructor salary will vary according to the size of their classes and the number of their students which are regularly taking part at the sessions.
- Yoga instructors are also not treated badly in Australia too. For instance, a yoga instructor salary is estimated from AU$61,443 and up to AU$140,208 while the median average will earn a salary of AU$124,510 per year. More than half of the yoga instructors take home an annual income of AU$140,010 per year.
How Long Does It Take to Become a Yoga Instructor?
Becoming a yoga instructor is not as time consuming like other professionals. Typically, it requires one to have training in Yoga practice, which could range between six months to one year, and also undergo a teacher training course in either Anatomy, or physiology which could range between 2-4 years. Conclusively, becoming a yoga instructor professionally will break between 3-5 years, depending on countries, states etc.
Educational Requirements to Become a Yoga Instructor
Yoga techniques which date back to thousands of years have now become more rampant than ever before. This ancient practice which basically reduces stress and increase strength and flexibility is now a profession to venture into. It is now taught today, as classes in studios, gyms and colleges around the world.
Thus, just like other professions. Yoga instructors have some educational requirements which must be met before someone can become a professional yoga instructor; the educational requirements are as follows:
- Learn Yoga: Aspiring instructors should take courses in varying types of yoga to understand which style works best for them. Different types include Ashtanga, Anusara, Hatha, Vinyasa, and Bikram yoga. In addition, the style of instruction may vary by facility and teacher. Aspiring yoga teachers should pay attention to these differences in order to find the type of training that fits them best.
- Complete a Teacher Training Course: Yoga teacher training includes coursework in anatomy and physiology, instructional techniques and yoga philosophy. Students gain hands-on experience by observing teachers and teaching classes themselves. Many schools adhere to the guidelines set by Yoga Alliance for 200-hour and 500-hour teacher training programs.
- Get Registered: Students who complete programs that meet the guidelines set by Yoga Alliance can apply for the organization’s Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) credential. Though registration is voluntary
- Earn Continuing Education Credits: Most professionals in this field attend workshops and seminars to keep their knowledge up to date. Teachers registered with the Yoga Alliance are required to complete 75 hours of continuing education every three years. This includes teaching yoga for 45 hours and attending additional classes for 30 hours. RYTs who meet certain experience and education requirements can pursue advanced credentials.
Are Certifications Required to Become a Yoga Instructor?
Like other professionals, becoming a Yoga instructor requires some certifications which are essential and must be met before a person can be allowed to go into practice. This varies, based on countries and states. But in the United States, the certification required to become a Yoga instructor will be examined:
- Teacher-training programs that meet certain standards are registered by the Yoga Alliance, a nationally recognized organization for certifying yoga instructors. There are two levels of Yoga Alliance certificates- 200 Hour and 500 Hour, referring to the length of the program.
- Trainees first complete a 200-Hour program, which most yoga studios require as the minimum training for their teachers. Some teachers then choose to continue their studies by undertaking a500-Hour training. It is only upon the completion of a Yoga Alliance registered teacher-training program, teachers may use the acronym (Registered Yoga Teacher) i.e. RYT after their name.
Can You Become a Yoga Instructor by Taking Online Courses?
Yes, it is possible to become a Yoga Instructor by taking online courses. Two major examples of online certifications are the Aura and Corepower programs.
While the Aura wellness centre offers “The Original Yoga Teacher Training Camp-in-a-box”. The course which is a 240-hour course includes books, DVDs and CDs that will help one learn how to perform yoga techniques, teaching yoga and also starting their own businesses.
The students are evaluated online after completing their course. The Corepower Yoga certification program also offers video, audio and written training materials. Though it is not as extensive as the Aura Program, but it can train one to become a nationally recognized Yoga instructor.
Industries a Yoga Instructor Can Work in?
- Fitness centers
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Relaxation and amusement parks
- Colleges and Universities
- Government agencies
- Private practices
Career Opportunities Open for a Yoga Instructor
Yoga Instructors are one of the emerging professions in the world. But once they have been trained, the graduate has a few career options. While many yoga instructors identify a specific population group they would like to work with, like children, seniors or pregnant women. Others teach yoga as a therapeutic treatment to help with health conditions including anxiety or stress, asthma and depression.
They may look for employment in general fitness centers, yoga studios, or seek their own clients through self-employment. As of 2012, the job outlook for fitness trainers, including yoga instructors, was good; the Bureau for Labor Statistics predicted that yoga use in America will continue to increase, especially for seniors requiring low-impact exercise.
Skills and Traits Needed to Become a Successful Yoga Instructor?
Yoga instruction is a rapidly-growing profession, and specialties abound in the field. To be successful in the field, one must have certain qualities, just like other professionals. Becoming a successful yoga instructor requires some skills and personal traits that can easily propel one into performing exceedingly well, some of those skills and traits are as follows:
- Good connection with everyone in The Class: A great teacher can lead a class of 50 just as effectively as a class of 5 because they have the ability to make everyone feel connected to them in some way.
- Excellent Communication skills: A yoga teacher’s voice is perhaps their most powerful tool. Being able to confidently direct a group of people in and out of postures using only words can be challenging enough.
- Good relationship with all: Yoga instructors must understand that the purpose of the class is not about their own practice. It’s to lead and support their students through an experience of yoga and with this in mind they teach and demonstrate postures that are suitable for the level of the class.
- Love (And Respect) Yoga: Yoga works on the mind, the body and the spirit. This holistic approach is what makes yoga more than just a stretch class and a great teacher can easily find the balance between the physical and the esoteric. This deep love could serve as inspiration for their students
- Personality matters: No matter what we are doing, we do it better when we operate from an authentic space and a yoga teacher is no different. If a teacher’s authentic personality is more about warmth and compassion and they teach from their heart, they too have the ability to create a really beautiful and uplifting class.
- Preparedness is the key: A yoga instructor must give time and thought to how they are going to lead a class and it usually results in a better experience for their students. Preparation also takes into account arriving early, setting the scene and creating an environment
- Sharing of Knowledge: A good yoga instructor must be ready to share their knowledge, and by demonstrating this, they gain credibility, leading nicely on to the next point.
- Trustworthiness: When a Yoga instructor is trusted. Students will be willing to go out of their comfort zones and test their boundaries both mentally and physically. They can help them take their practice to a whole new level
Tips and Advice That Will Help Advance your Career as a Yoga Instructor
- Find a Mentor: A mentor can help aspiring teachers learn about various teaching techniques and styles of yoga. In addition, mentors can help aspiring yoga teachers decide which training program is most suitable.
- Network with Teachers and Peers: Yoga teacher training does not guarantee a job. Students are advised to network with classmates and faculty while in school.
- Know your market: Competition among yoga teachers is strong in some areas. Aspiring instructors may consider a unique approach to distinguish themselves from other teachers.
- Become certified in CPR: Most health and fitness centers require that instructors have the skills to deal with a health emergency by being certified in CPR. Students can take a CPR course while enrolled in a teacher training program.