Are you about starting a retail supermarket business? If YES, here is a complete sample mini supermarket business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a supermarket business. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample mini supermarket marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for supermarket businesses. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Why Start a Mini Supermarket Business?
If you have a knack for retailing various products, then you should consider starting your own supermarket business. It has been proven over and over again that supermarkets; groceries store or convenience store as it is popularly called in some countries is one of the businesses that can easily survive in any part of the world as long as it is situated in place where people live and work.
No doubt starting any business is not as easy as it sounds. Starting a business requires deliberate planning, capital and business skills. Depending on the vision you have for your supermarket business, you can start it on a small scale (mom and pop level) or on a larger scale. The good thing about establishing a standard supermarket is that, if you are successful in building your brand, you can easily sell your franchise to investors and that will translate to more money for you.
If you truly want to start a supermarket that would enjoy continuous high patronage, then you should carry out your feasibility studies to enable you know the ideal place to situate your supermarket, the goods that are in high demand in the community, and loads of other factors that will help you plan and achieve your business goals.
Now, if you are serious about starting a business that may afford you the opportunity to deal in various products (commodities), then you should consider writing a good and workable business plan. The supermarket business plan below will help you start your own supermarket business from the scratch and build it to profitability within record time.
A Sample Mini Supermarket Business Plan Template
- Business Overview
Supermarket and grocery stores account for the largest share of food store sales in the United States. In 2013, grocery stores accounted for 90% of the country’s food and beverage store sales, while supermarkets accounted for 95% of the total grocery store sales.
The food retail industry is a high-volume, low-margin business, with cutthroat competition from all quarters. It includes grocery stores and supermarkets, as well as convenience stores. The staples offered at these stores make the industry non-cyclical.
In addition, grocery stores and supermarkets offer an alternative to restaurants during tough economic times, as buying groceries for home cooking is one alternative. Buying prepared foods, which are new higher-margin offerings at grocery stores, is an additional alternative to restaurants.
However, offering new higher-margin items such as gourmet foods, prepared foods, and general merchandise is making this industry more cyclical than in the past, creating pressures on revenue during the recent economic downturn.
Small chains and independent grocers still dominate this industry, but national chains, such as Kroger, are increasingly growing in dominance. Mass merchants, such as Wal-Mart, are competing with grocery stores at their “supercenters” by offering lower prices through lower cost structures. Wal-Mart is now the world’s No. 1 seller of groceries. Warehouse clubs, such as Costco and SAM’S CLUB (owned by Wal-Mart), can also compete on price by selling in large bulk. Supermarkets have responded to these threats by building larger “superstores.”
Conventional supermarkets are grocery stores with over $2 million in revenue, with average square feet of 15,000. Grocery stores that have less than $2 million in annual revenue sell almost entirely packaged and perishable goods, and are mostly independently owned.
Superstores are supermarkets with about 30,000 square feet, averaging $12 million in revenue. They often have an extended selection of food and nonfood items, with specialty departments such as florists, delis, bakeries, banking, pharmacy, and video rentals. Combination stores are hybrids of superstores and drugstores under one roof, with an average of 55,000 square feet.
The supermarket and grocery stores industry is indeed a very thriving industry in most countries of the world. It is a major sector of the economy of the United States which generates a whooping sum of well over $602 billion annually from more than 42,539 outlets scattered all around the United States of America.
The industry is responsible for the employment of well over 2,624,650 people. Experts project the supermarket and grocery industry to grow at a 1.4 percent annual rate. The establishment in this industry that has a dominant market share in the United States are; Albertson, Kroger and Publix Super Markets Inc.
Over and above, the supermarket and grocery store industry is a profitable industry and it is open for any aspiring entrepreneur to come in and establish his or her business; you can chose to start on a small scale in a street corner like the average mom and pop business or you can chose to start on a large scale with chains of stores in key cities all around the United States of America.
Mini Supermarket Business Plan – Executive Summary
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. is a standard and licensed supermarket business that will be located in between one of the largest residential estates and business district in Baton Rouge – Louisiana. We have successfully secured a standard warehouse facility that is big enough to fit into the design of the kind of supermarket that we intend launching.
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. will retail a wide range of durable goods and non – durable goods at affordable prices from different brands and manufacturers both from the United States of America and other countries of the world.
We are aware that there are several large and small chains of supermarket / grocery store outlets all around Baton Rouge – Louisiana, which is why we spent time and resources to conduct a thorough feasibility studies and market survey so we can be well – prepared to offer much more than our competitors will be offering. We will make available self – service options for our customers, and also various payments of options.
Apart from retailing the goods and products of top brands in the manufacturing and food industry, our customer care is second to none in the whole of Baton Rouge – Louisiana. We know that our customers are the reason why we are in business which is why we will go the extra mile to get them satisfied when they visit our grocery store and also to become our loyal customers and ambassadors.
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. will ensure that all our customers are given first class treatment whenever they visit our grocery store. We have a CRM software that will enable us manage a one on one relationship with our customers no matter how large the numbers of our customers’ base may grow to. We will ensure that we get our customers involved in the selection of brands that will be on our racks and also when making some business decisions.
We are aware of the trend in the retail / supermarket and grocery store industry and we are not only going to operate a system where our customers would have to come to our store to make purchase or whatever they want but we will also operate an online store and our customers can order goods cum groceries online and they will get it delivered to their houses or any location they want us to deliver the goods to within Baton Rouge.
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. is a family business that is owned by Barry Whyte and his immediate family members. Barry Whyte has a B.Sc. in Business Administration, with well over 7 years of experience in the supermarket and grocery store industry, working for some of the leading brand in the United States.
Although the business is launching out with just one outlet in Baton Rouge – Louisiana, but there is a plan to open chains of supermarket stores all across the United States of America in the nearest future.
- Our Product Offering
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. is in the supermarket and grocery store industry and we will ensure we go all the way to make available a wide range of goods and products from top manufacturing brands in the United States and other countries of the world.
We will have available in our store a wide range of durable goods and non – durable goods at affordable prices. Our product offerings are listed below;
- Fruit and vegetables
- Beauty products and jewelry
- Children’s toys and baby stuffs
- Home furnishings and home appliances
- Fresh and frozen meat
- Dairy products
- Beverages (including alcohol)
- Drugs and health products
Our Vision Statement
Our vision is to become one of the leading brands in the supermarket and grocery store industry in Baton Rouge – Louisiana and to open chains of supermarket stores all across key cities in the United States of America.
- Our Mission Statement
Our mission is to establish a supermarket business that will make available a wide range of goods and products from top manufacturing / production brands at affordable prices to the residence of Baton Rouge – Louisiana and other cities in the United States where we intend opening of chains of our supermarket stores.
- Our Business Structure
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. do not intend to start a supermarket business like the usual mom and pop business around the street corner; our intention of starting a supermarket business is to build a standard and one stop supermarket outlet in Baton Rouge – Louisiana.
Although our supermarket business might not be as big as Albertson, Kroger or Publix Super Markets Inc., but will ensure that we put the right structure in place that will support the kind of growth that we have in mind while setting up the business.
We will ensure that we hire people that are qualified, honest, customer centric and are ready to work to help us build a prosperous business that will benefit all the stake holders (the owners, workforce, and customers). As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our senior management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of ten years or more.
In view of that, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Executive Officer (Owner)
- Supermarket Manager
- Human Resources and Admin Manager
- Merchandize Manager
- Sales and Marketing Manager
- Information Technologist
- Accountants / Cashiers
- Customer Services Executive
Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – CEO:
- The chief executive officer will increase management’s effectiveness by recruiting and disciplining managers.
- He will create the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction.
- He is responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- He is responsible for providing direction for the business
- He will lead the company to development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- He is responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- He evaluates the success of the organization
Admin and HR Manager
- He/she is responsible for overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- He will maintain office supplies by checking stocks and by placing new orders.
- He/she ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- He updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities.
- He/she enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests.
- He/she defines job positions and manages interview processes.
- He/she carries out staff induction for new team members
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- He/she is responsible for managing the daily activities in the supermarket
- He/she ensures that proper records of goods are kept and our racks and warehouse does not run out of products
- He /she ensure that the store facilities is in a great shape and goods are properly arranged and easy to locate
- He/she Interfaces with third – party suppliers (vendors)
- He/she control goods distribution and supply inventory
- He / she supervise the workforce in the supermarket sales floor.
- He/ she manages vendor relations, market visits, and the ongoing education and development of the organizations’ buying teams
- He / she helps to ensure consistent quality of goods and products on our rack
- He / she is responsible for the purchase of goods and products for the organizations
- He / she is responsible for planning sales and monitoring inventory.
- He/she ensures that the organization operates within stipulated budget.
Sales and Marketing Manager
- He/ she manages external research and coordinate all the internal sources of information to retain the organizations’ best customers and attract new ones
- He/she models demographic information and analyze the volumes of transactional data generated by customer purchases
- He/ she will Identify, prioritize, and reach out to new partners, and business opportunities et al
- He/ she Identifies development opportunities.
- He/ she will be responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- He/ she will develop, execute and evaluate new plans for expanding increase sales
- He/ she will Document all customer contact and information
- Represent the company in strategic meetings
- He / she will help increase sales and growth for the company
- Manages the organization website
- Handles ecommerce aspect of the business
- Responsible for installing and maintenance of computer software and hardware for the organization
- Manages logistics and supply chain software, Web servers, e-commerce software and POS (point of sale) systems
- Manage the organization’s CCTV
- Handles any other technological and IT related duties.
Accountant / Cashier:
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports; analyzes financial feasibility for the most complex proposed projects; conducts market research to forecast trends and business conditions.
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensuring compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the organization
- Serves as internal auditor for the organization
Client Service Executive
- Ensures that all contacts with clients (e-mail, walk-In center, SMS or phone) provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with customers on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the company’s products and services
- Manages administrative duties assigned by the human resources and admin manager in an effective and timely manner
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on the organizations’ products, promotional campaigns etc. to ensure accurate and helpful information is supplied to customers when they make enquiries
- Responsible for cleaning the supermarket facility at all times
- Ensure that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Cleans both the interior and exterior of the supermarket facility
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the supermarket manager.
Nanny Agency Business Plan – SWOT Analysis
We are well informed that there are several supermarkets and grocery stores all around Baton Rouge – Louisiana and even in the same location where we intend opening our supermarket, which is why we are following the due process of establishing a business.
We know that if a proper SWOT analysis is conducted for our business, we will be able to position our business to maximize our strength, leverage on the opportunities that will be available to us, mitigate our risks and be welled equipped to confront our threats.
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. employed the services of an expert HR and Business Analyst with bias in retailing to help us conduct a thorough SWOT analysis and to help us create a business model that will help us achieve our business goals and objectives. This is the summary of the SWOT analysis that was conducted for Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc.;
Besides our competent team/ workforce, our location, the business model we will be operating on (physical store and online store), varieties of payment options, wide range of products and our excellent customer service culture will definitely count as a strong strength for Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc.
One major weakness that may count against us is the fact that we are a supermarket outlet in Baton Rouge – Louisiana and we don’t have the financial capacity to compete with multi – billion dollars supermarket and grocery store outlets like Albertson, Kroger, Publix Super Markets Inc. and co when it comes to retailing at a rock bottom prices for all their goods.
The fact that we shall operate our supermarket in between one of the biggest residential estates and business districts in Baton Rouge – Louisiana provides us with unlimited opportunities to sell our goods to a large number of people.
We have been able to conduct thorough feasibility studies and market survey and we know what our potential clients will be looking for when they visit our supermarket; we are well positioned to take on the opportunities that will come our way.
One of the major threats that we are likely going to face when we launch our supermarket business is economic downturn. It is a fact that economic downturn affects purchasing / spending power. Another threat that may likely confront us is the arrival of a new supermarket, grocery store or retail outlet in same location where ours is located.
Nanny Agency Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
It is a known fact that supermarket and grocery store business has been in existence for as long as human started trading goods, but one thing is certain, the supermarket and grocery store industry is still evolving. The introduction of technology and subsequently online grocery cum retail store has indeed helped in reshaping the industry.
As a matter of fact, it is now a common trend for supermarkets and grocery outlets to leverage on technology to effectively predict consumer demand patterns and to strategically position their shop to meet their needs; in essence, the use of technology help retailers to maximize supply chain efficiencies. No doubt data collected from customers goes a long way to help supermarkets and grocery stores serve them better.
Another common trend in the supermarket and grocery store industry is the pricing system. Aside from having varieties of products in a store, one of the easiest ways for supermarket and grocery stores to sell the goods on their racks as fast as they can and keep re – stocking is to ensure that the prices of their goods are a bit lower than what is obtainable in elsewhere.
For example, it is common to see items with prices in this format; $3.99, $99.99 and $199.99 et al as against $4, $100 and $200. Supermarkets and grocery stores also engage in massive clearance sales and discount sales to attract customers. It is a strategy that helps them welcome new customers and also reinforce the loyalty of old customers.
- Our Target Market
It will be safe to categorically state that the supermarket and grocery store industry has the widest range of customers; everybody on planet earth has one or more things that they would need in a supermarket or grocery store. It is difficult to find people around who don’t patronize supermarket and grocery stores.
In view of that, we have positioned our supermarket store to service the residence of Baton Rouge – Louisiana and every other key cities through the United States of America where we intend opening our chains of supermarket stores. We have conducted our market research and we have ideas of what our target market would be expecting from us.
We are in business to retail a wide range of goods and groceries to the following groups of people;
- Corporate organizations
- Bachelors and Spinsters
- Corporate Executives
- Business People
- About to wed couples
- Expectant Mothers
- Sports Men and Women
Our Competitive Advantage
Research and studies carried out in the supermarket and grocery store industry reveals that the market has become much more intensely competitive over the last decade. As a matter of fact, you have to be highly creative, customer centric and proactive if you must survive in this industry. We are aware of the stiffer competition and we are well prepared to compete favorably with other leading supermarkets and grocery stores in Baton Rouge – Louisiana.
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. is launching a standard and highly secured supermarket business that will indeed become the preferred choice of residence of Baton Rouge. Our supermarket store is located in a corner piece property on a busy road directly opposite one of the largest residential estates in Baton Rouge – Louisiana. We have enough parking lots that can accommodate well over 50 cars per time.
We will ensure that we have a wide range of products from different manufacturers available in our store at all times. It will be difficult for customers to visit our store and not find the product that they are looking for. One of our business goals is to make Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. a one stop shop. Our excellent customer service culture, online store, various payment options and highly secured facility will serve as a competitive advantage for us.
Lastly, our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category (startups supermarkets and grocery stores) in the industry meaning that they will be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our aims and objectives. We will also give good working conditions and commissions to freelance sales agents that we will recruit from time to time.
Mini Supermarket Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. is in business to retail a wide range of goods to the residence of Baton Rouge – Louisiana. We are in the supermarket and grocery industry to maximize profits and we are going to go all the way out to ensure that we achieve or business goals and objectives.
In essence, our source of income will be the retailing of a wide range of durable goods and non – durable goods at affordable prices. We will retail the following goods;
- Fruit and vegetables
- Beauty products and jewelry
- Children’s toys and baby stuffs
- Home furnishings and home appliances
- Fresh and frozen meat
- Dairy products
- Beverages (including alcohol)
- Drugs and health products
If your store is well stocked and centrally positioned, you will always attract customers cum sales and that will sure translate to increase in revenue generation for the business.
We are well positioned to take on the available market in Baton Rouge – Louisiana and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough income / profits from the first six month of operations and grow the business and our clientele base.
We have been able to critically examine the supermarket and grocery industry and we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast. The sales projections are based on information gathered on the field and some assumptions that are peculiar to startups in Baton Rouge – Louisiana.
Below are the sales projections for Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc., it is based on the location of our business and other factors as it relates to supermarkets and grocery stores start – ups in the United States;
- First Fiscal Year-: $120,000
- Second Fiscal Year-: $350,000
- Third Fiscal Year-: $750,000
- N.B: This projection is done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor offering same products and customer care services as we do within same location. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Prior to choosing a location for Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc., we conduct a thorough market survey and feasibility studies in order for us to be able to be able to penetrate the available market and become the preferred choice for residence of Baton Rouge – Louisiana. We have detailed information and data that we were able to utilize to structure our business to attract the numbers of customers we want to attract per time.
We hired experts who have good understanding of the supermarket and grocery industry to help us develop marketing strategies that will help us achieve our business goal of winning a larger percentage of the available market in Baton Rouge – Louisiana.
In other to continue to be in business and grow, we must continue to sell the goods that are available in our store which is why we will go all out to empower or sales and marketing team to deliver. In summary, Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. will adopt the following sales and marketing approach to win customers over;
- Open our supermarket business in a grand style with a party for all.
- Introduce our supermarket by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to organizations, households and key stake holders in Baton Rouge – Louisiana
- Ensure that we have a wide range of goods from different brand at all times.
- Make use of attractive hand bills to create awareness and also to give direction to our supermarket store
- List our business on yellow pages ads (local directories)
- Position our signage / flexi banners at strategic places around Baton Rouge – Louisiana
- Position our greeters to welcome and direct potential customers
- Create a loyalty plan that will enable us reward our regular customers
- Engage on road shows within our neighborhood to create awareness for our bar
- Leverage on the internet to promote our business
- Engage direct marketing approach
- Encourage word of mouth marketing from loyal and satisfied clients
Mini Supermarket Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Irrespective of the fact that our supermarket store is well located, we will still go ahead to intensify publicity for the business. We are going to explore all available means to promote our supermarket store.
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. has a long term plan of opening chains of supermarket stores in various locations all around key cities in the United States which is why we will deliberately build our brand to be well accepted in Baton Rouge – Louisiana before venturing out. As a matter of fact, our publicity and advertising strategy is not solely for winning customers over but to effectively communicate our brand.
Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc.;
- Place adverts on community based newspapers, radio stations and TV stations.
- Encourage the use of word of mouth publicity from our loyal customers
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; YouTube, Instagram, Facebook ,Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Badoo, Google+ and other platforms to promote our business.
- Ensure that our we position our banners and billboards in strategic positions all around Baton Rouge – Louisiana
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas in and around our neighborhood
- Contact corporate organizations, households, landlord associations and schools by calling them up and informing them of Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. and the products we sell
- Advertise our supermarket store business in our official website and employ strategies that will help us pull traffic to the site
- Brand all our official cars and vans and ensure that all our staff members and management staff wears our branded shirt or cap at regular intervals.
Our Pricing Strategy
Pricing is one of the key factors that gives leverage to supermarkets and grocery stores, it is normal for consumers to go to places (retail outlets) where they can purchase goods at cheaper price which is why big player in the supermarket and grocery industry like Albertson, Kroger and Publix Super Markets Inc. will attract loads of consumers. Products in their store are tagged with the cheapest price you can get anywhere in the United States.
We know we don’t have the capacity to compete with Albertson, Kroger and Publix Super Markets Inc., but we will ensure that the prices of all the products that are available in our supermarket store are competitive with what is obtainable amongst supermarkets and grocery stores within our level.
The payment policy adopted by Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. will make available to her clients;
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment with cash
- Payment via POS
- Payment via mobile money platform
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via bank draft
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our client make payment for goods purchased without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials to clients who may want to deposit cash or make online transfer for goods purchased.
- Start – Up Expenditure (Budget)
In setting up any business, the amount or cost will depend on the approach and scale you want to undertake. If you intend to go big by renting a place, then you would need a good amount of capital as you would need to ensure that your employees are well taken care of, and that your facility is conducive enough for workers to be creative and productive.
This means that the start-up can either be low or high depending on your goals, vision and aspirations for your business.
The tools and equipment that will be used are nearly the same cost everywhere, and any difference in prices would be minimal and can be overlooked. As for the detailed cost analysis for starting a supermarket store business; it might differ in other countries due to the value of their money.
These are the key areas where we will spend our start – up capital;
- The Total Fee for Registering the Business in the United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $3,300.
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. in the amount of $3,500 and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of $3,580.
- Cost for hiring Consultant – $2,500.
- Insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400.
- Cost for payment of rent for 12 month at $1.76 per square feet in the total amount of $105,600.
- Cost for Shop remodeling (construction of racks and shelves) – $20,000.
- Other start-up expenses including stationery ($500) and phone and utility deposits ($2,500).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $60,000
- The cost for Start-up inventory (stocking with a wide range of goods from different manufactures) – $150,000
- Storage hardware (bins, rack, shelves, food case) – $3,720
- The cost for counter area equipment (counter top, sink, ice machine, etc.) – $9,500
- Cost for serving area equipment (plates, glasses, flatware) – $3,000
- Cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $13,750
- Cost of purchase and installation of CCTVs: $10,000
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al): $4,000.
- The cost of Launching a Website: $600
- The cost for our opening party: $7,000
- Miscellaneous: $10,000
We would need an estimate of $400,000 to successfully set up our supermarket store in Baton Rouge – Louisiana. Please note that this amount includes the salaries of all the staff for the first month of operation.
Generating Funding / Startup Capital for Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc.
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. is a private business that is solely owned and financed by Barry Whyte and his family members. They do not intend to welcome any external business partner which is why he has decided to restrict the sourcing of the start – up capital to 3 major sources.
These are the areas we intend generating our start – up capital;
- Generate part of the start – up capital from personal savings
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from my Bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $150,000 (Personal savings $100,000 and soft loan from family members $50,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $250,000 from our bank. All the papers and document have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited with the amount.
Mini Supermarket Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the numbers of loyal customers that they have the capacity and competence of the employees, their investment strategy and the business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business (company), then it won’t be too long before the business close shop.
One of our major goals of starting Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without the need for injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running. We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to retail our wide range of goods from different brands a little bit cheaper than what is obtainable in the market and also to ensures that our finished diamond can favorably compete with finished diamonds from any part of the world and we are well prepared to survive on lower profit margin for a while.
Barry Whyte Supermarket, Inc. will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare is well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and re – training of our workforce is at the top burner.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of three years or more. We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
Check List / Milestone
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Leasing of facility and remodeling the shop: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging Marketing / Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the Needed furniture, racks, shelves, computers, electronic appliances, office appliances and CCTV: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party / launching party planning: In Progress
- Compilation of our list of products that will be available in our supermarket store: Completed
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – suppliers of groceries: In Progress