Are you about starting a landscaping company? If YES, here’s a complete sample landscaping business plan template & feasibility report to help you get started.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a landscaping business. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample landscaping marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for landscaping businesses. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- Executive Summary
- Market Analysis
- SWOT Analysis
- Financial Projection
- Marketing Plan
- Marketing ideas & Strategies
Why Start a Landscaping Business?
It is true that business ideas abound, however, it is even truer that one ventures into the type of business they are conversant with and one that can assure good returns on investment. One of such businesses that you may consider going into is the landscaping business.
If you have an architectural background, then that would be an added advantage. On the other hand, if you do not, then chances are that you can take some skill acquisition training classes and you are good to go.
Writing a Business Plan
Starting a landscaping business might not come too easy, as you will be required to put quite a lot in place. Chief amongst what you will need to put in place is drawing up a business plan. Business plans are some of the reasons some business consultants smile to the bank every now and then. This is because of the technicality involved in writing one, and as such they charge, their clients heavy.
Did you know that you can save up those extra bucks that you ordinarily would have spent on hiring a business plan writer? Well, truth is that you can use an existing template to do justice to yours. For instance; if you are looking to write a landscaping business plan, then you have got to consider using an existing business model to tweak yours. Here below is a sample landscaping business plan template which you can readily use to achieve yours.
A FREE Sample Landscaping Business Plan Template
- Landscaping Business Overview
It is not enough to own a property that is well designed and built; the hallmark of any property is the beauty of the lawns and gardens. Landscapers are in the business of giving total esthetic effect in and around our neighborhoods.
It is not enough to plant flowers or have a lawn in your compound and just watch them grow; you need to hire a professional landscaping company to help you bring out the beauty in your environment. Landscape architecture is all about the art, planning, designing, management, preservation and rehabilitation of the land and the design of a large man – made concepts; it beautifies our environment.
Landscaping business just like Lawn care business is not one of those businesses that you can start and make big money from without truly working pretty hard and smart. Any entrepreneur who intends to start his or her own landscaping business with the aim of making huge profits from it must be very creative and ready to go the extra mile to convince clients that he or she can deliver an excellent job. Furthermore, you have got to prove beyond every reasonable doubt that you are competent.
In a publication released by a Professional Land-care Network (PLANET), an international association serving landscaping professionals, lawn care professionals, exterior maintenance contractors, installation/design/building professionals, and interior scapers, there are approximately 12,000 landscapers in the United States of America.
This statistics covers independent operators, franchises and large corporate chains. They also stated that the number of professional landscapers could actually be considerably higher because there are so many people doing landscape maintenance on part – time and on a pay as you go basis.
Lastly, according to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, published in 2006-2007 (U.S. Department of Labor), is that almost 1 out of every 4 landscaping, grounds – keeping, nursery, greenhouse and lawn service workers is self-employed and provides maintenance services directly to customers on a contract basis. Of these, about 1 out of every 6 works part time.
Although, landscaping business might not be amongst the money spinning businesses in the US, but they have a very large market that is readily available for them if they can convince property owners to patronize their services.
As a matter of fact, statistics has it that the United States green industry (landscape and lawn maintenance, landscape contractors, landscape architects, irrigation contractors, and lawn and landscape product suppliers) generates roughly $67 billion to $69 billion annually. PLANET estimates that the landscaping services sector alone generates about 704,000 jobs and $35.6 million in value-added services annually in the US; it is indeed a growing industry.
Landscaping business also falls in the category of seasonal businesses. The industry experiences downtime during the winter period and in most states in the US. In general, the demand for landscaping services is usually at its peak in the spring and generally between April and October. Which is why landscaping companies are always everywhere sourcing for business deals within this period of the year.
If you are familiar with the landscaping industry, you will notice that most landscaping companies do not restrict their services to only landscape architecture et al; they ensure that they add additional services such as lawn care services, snow plowing services (during winter season), fumigation services and any other similar services just to ensure that they maintain steady in – flow of income during peak and off peak periods.
As such; any entrepreneur who wants to start a landscaping business in the US should be aware that the landscaping and lawn care industry is a closely regulated industry that requires practitioners to earn certifications that permit them to handle hazardous compounds; most especially when they also offer fumigation services.
Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company is in business for the purpose of making profits and building long lasting relationship with its clients and we know that in order for us to achieve these, we must be able to leverage on our strengths and take hold of all the opportunities that we come across. We are aware that if effective strategies are not put in place, the weakness of a company and the threats that the business will be exposed to can strangulate the business which is why we have decided to take out time to conduct a SWOT analysis for Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company.
As a company, we look forward to maximizing our strength and opportunities and also to develop strategies that will help us effectively handle our weaknesses and threats. Here is a summary from the result of the SWOT analysis that was conducted on behalf of Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company;
Sample Landscaping Business Plan Template – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
It is a common trend in landscaping and lawn care industry to see loads of landscapers struggle to meet ends meet. This is so because a larger percentage of people who are supposed to patronize their services are reluctant when it comes to paying the true worth of the services rendered.
It is also a common trend to see landscape companies engage in other complimentary services to makes meet. The fact that there are off peak periods in the business makes it of necessity for landscape companies to look for other sources of income in order to maintain steady flow of income throughout the year.
If you are conversant with the landscape industry, you will realize that one of their major challenges is the challenge of accurately pricing services It takes a landscape company that has been in the business for a while to effectively charge clients in such a way that they will have enough resources to carry out the project, pay for labor and still make enough profits. It is important for any landscape company to first inspect the area they are to carry out their job so that they will be able to properly submit a quotation that will be favorable to both parties.
Usually, most landscaping companies ensure that they send their quotations to prospective clients only when they have been able to do their calculations based on per square foot of the property. Over and above, the creativity of the landscape architect will go a long way to determine the amount that can be charged and the inflow of business.
- Our Target Market
Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company was deliberately located in Miami Beach simply because we have a wide range of people and businesses that can hire our services; the geographical nature of Miami Beach is highly suitable for the kind of services we render. Our target market as a landscape company is not just restricted to only homeowners and property managers but also government establishment.
We are quite aware that the state government is one of the biggest clients in the industry, which is why we have structured our business to meet the expectations and requirements of the government when it comes to bidding for government contracts. This is the group of people that we will market our landscape business to;
- Facility managers for botanical gardens, historic buildings, municipalities and other government entities, universities, cemeteries and other public places with green spaces
- Homeowners who plan to put their home on the market and want to improve its curb appeal with fresh or updated landscaping
- Builders of both residential and commercial properties who don’t already have their own landscaper or staff
- New homeowners who wish to update the existing landscape of their property
- Homeowners who are frequently out of town on business
- Retirees who don’t care to do their own maintenance any longer
- “Snowbirds” with winter homes in warmer climates
- Golf course managers who may need help with maintenance
- Rental property or condominium association managers who are personnel-impaired
- Homeowners who don’t have the vision, skill or tools to design their own landscaping
- Managers of public facilities
- Government establishment
Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company is fully aware that there is competition in the industry, which is why we decided to carry out thorough research and draft a killer landscaping marketing plan; so as to know how to take advantage of the available market in the cities where we want to operate. We have done our homework and we have been able to highlight some factors that will give us competitive advantage in the marketplace; some of the factors are competence, trust, honesty, good network and excellent relationship management.
One of the positive that we have as a company is the fact that we have some of the best hands in the industry under our payroll; our manager has a robust experience in the industry. Another competitive advantage that we are bringing to the industry is the fact that we have designed our business in such a way that we can comfortably work with both the highly placed clients and the lowly placed clients; our prices are designed to fit into the budget of the lower class, the middle class and the upper class.
We are quite aware of the importance of taking proper care of our workforce which is why we have created welfare packages that will make all our employers willing to stay longer with us and also to always put in their best when carrying out their jobs.
Landscaping Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company will do all it can to ensure that we become the preferred choice as far as landscaping services is concerned in Florida. We know the effectiveness of properly positioning a business which is why we have chosen a corner piece location in a busy road in Miami Beach to locate our business.
We will ensure that we leverage on all available networks to source for business deals. In view of that, we will continue to find local real estate clubs and connect with them and also we will locate gathering where we can find homeowners within the locations where we intend operating and then connect with them.
We will ensure that we bid at the appropriate time whenever there is the opportunity to handle government contracts both at the community and state level. We will also enter business partnership with local contractors and property managers since they also interface with property owners regularly; through them we can secure business deals. Over and above, we have perfected strategies to network with people who are likely to refer business our way. In summary, Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company will adopt the following strategies in sourcing for clients for our business;
- Introduce our business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to stake holders in the real estate industry, government institution and also property owners.
- Promptness in bidding for contracts
- Advertise our business in real estate / properties magazines and websites
- List our business on yellow pages ads
- Attend related real estate expos, seminars, and business fairs et al
- Create different packages for different category of clients in order to work with their budgets and still deliver quality job for them.
- Leverage on the internet to promote our business
- Direct marketing
- Word of mouth marketing (referrals)
Our Pricing Strategy
From our findings, the average cost of landscape services varies and it is dependent on loads of factors. For example, normal landscaping services include prices for services such as regular lawn maintenance which includes edging, mowing and blowing, fertilization, weeding beds, hedge trimming, shrub removal, replacement or moving, grass replacement, lawn care, irrigation among other landscape related services that may be required by a client. Usually, these services are priced separately in most cases and in some instances; they may be priced together into one monthly service price.
We have been able to conduct effective survey and we were able to adopt a price format that is ideal for the kind of services we are going to be rendering. Part of our business strategy is to ensure that we work within the budget of our clients to deliver excellent landscape services. At Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company, every client will find packages that will suite their budget.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different people prefer different payment options as it suits. Here are the payment options that are available to all clients of Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company;
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment with cash
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via bank draft
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our client make payment for services rendered to them without stress on their part.
Sample Landscaping Business Plan Template – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
We are quite aware that any business that wants to grow beyond the corner of the street they are operating from must be ready and willing to utilize every available means (conventional and non – conventional means) to advertise and promote the business. We intend growing our business which is why we have perfected plans to build our brand via every available means.
Below are the platforms Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company intend to leverage on to promote and advertise her business;
- Encourage our loyal customers to help us use Word of Mouth mode of advertisement (referrals)
- Advertise our landscaping business in relevant magazines (real estate magazines), local newspaper, local TV stations and local radio station
- Promote our landscaping business online via our official website
- List our landscaping business on local directories (yellow pages ads)
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Google+, LinkedIn, Badoo, Facebook , twitter, et al to promote our landscaping business
- Install our Bill Boards on strategic locations around Miami Beach and other key cities in Florida.
- Direct coupon mailing approach to introduce our landscaping business to residence and property managers
- Engage in road show from time to time to create awareness of our landscaping business.
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas in Miami Beach, and other key cities in Florida
- Maximize our company’s website to promote our business
- Attend landlord and residence association meetings with the aim of networking and introducing our landscaping business.
These are some of the equipment that we would need to fully launch our lawn care and landscaping business;
- String Trimmer
- Edging Shears
- Turfing Iron
- Half Moon Cutter
- Leveling Rake
- Spring – tined Rake
- Wheel Barrow
Generating Funding / Startup Capital for Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company ®
Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company is a privately owned business and it will be financed by the owner of the company; Mr. Glover Carrington. These are the areas where we intend sourcing for fund for Glover and Greenhouse Landscape Company;
- Generate part of the start – up capital from personal savings and sale of his stocks
- Generate part of the start – up capital from family members and friends (soft loans and gifts et al)
- Generate a larger chunk of the startup capital from the banks (loan facility).
N.B: Mr. Glover Carrington has been able to generate $30,000 ($20,000 from his personal savings and $10,000 as soft loan from his family members and friends. 50% of the start – up capital ($30,000 will be generated from the bank as loan)
Landscaping Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Although Mr. Glover Carrington is the founder if the business, he is over 60 years old and since he intends building a business that will last, grow and expand, he decided to invest in training his son who is going to be the manager of the business. That is part of his sustainability and expansion strategy.
Glover and Greenhouse will ensure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that staff welfare is well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and re – training of our workforce is at the top burner.
Integrity, competence, trust and good relationship management are major factor that can guarantee steady growth for any business and we will ensure that we are known for such qualities.
Check List / Milestone
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Incorporation: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts various banks in the United States: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of All form of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Renting of Office Facility in Miami Beach, Florida: Completed
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Start – up Capital Generation: Completed
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging Marketing / Promotional Materials: Completed
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the Needed furniture, office equipment, electronic appliances and facility facelift: In progress
- Purchase of the needed working tools and equipment: Completed
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business (Business PR): In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety License Arrangement: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with key players in the industry (networking and membership of relevant real estate bodies, landlord association): Completed