In Australia, you can easily find young men and women leveraging on vans or mobile carts to sell snacks, ice creams and coffee. The business requires a very minimal startup capital except you want to own a company that recruits people to sell your products via coffee vans.
No doubt, your financial capacity and your business exposure will go a long way to determine how you start your coffee van business. One thing is certain, there is a huge market for coffee in Australia. All you need to do is to know how to position your business and you will surely attract customers without having to overstretch yourself to reach out to them.
Below is a standard sample coffee van company business plan template that will help you successfully write yours without much stress.
A Sample Coffee Van Business Plan Template
1. Industry Overview
The Food Trucks Industry that coffee van business a part of is composed of businesses that engage in preparing and serving meals, coffee, snacks and drinks from a mobile truck or van. Food and drink are normally prepared, stored and cooked on the truck or van. The truck or van may or may not use the same location each day and does not sell alcoholic beverages.
There are different types of coffee drinks that you can find on a coffee van, some of them are cappuccino, espresso, iced coffee, decaffeinated coffee, alcoholic coffee (Irish Coffee and Brandy Coffee et al), filtered coffee, cold brew coffee, Turkish coffee, coffee with milk, coffee or espresso with whipped cream, and flavored coffee.
A recent report published by IBISWorld show that Australia’s vibrant coffee culture has supported industry growth over much of the past five years. Although purchases at cafes and coffee shops are considered discretionary, many consumers treat coffee as an affordable luxury, allowing the industry to remain resilient despite movements in household income.
This trend has provided a steady base revenue for the industry. Furthermore, an increased focus on fair trade and organic coffee and premium food have boosted demand over much of the period. However, industry revenue is expected to decline at an annualised 1.1 percent over the five years through 2020-21, to $9.6 billion. This decline is primarily due to the social distancing restrictions in place following the outbreak of COVID-19.
One good thing about this type of business is that a coffee van business can be found in any part of town as long as there are people living or working there. Generally, coffee vans ply around parks, stadiums and sport centers, airports, sea ports, shopping malls, railway stations, bus station, campuses, and in any public facilities.
The turnover for an average coffee van business can be as high as 50 percent and above, that is why entrepreneurs who intend making good money from a business with less struggle launch a coffee van business; they either start their own coffee van business or buy a successful coffee van franchise.
2. Executive Summary
Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd is a registered coffee van business that will be located in one of the busiest roads in the heart of Brisbane – Queensland. We have been able to secure the necessary street vending/mobile truck permit that will enable us operate all around the state of Queensland. We have plans to sell our franchise and operate all across Australia and New Zealand.
Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd will be involved in the preparation and sale of a wide varieties of coffee beverages (cappuccino, espresso, iced coffee, decaffeinated coffee, alcoholic coffee (Irish Coffee and Brandy Coffee et al), filtered coffee, cold brew coffee, Turkish coffee, coffee with milk, coffee or espresso with whipped cream, and flavored coffee et al.) and also snacks.
We are aware that there are several large and small scale coffee shops and coffee van business all around Brisbane – Queensland, which is why we spent time and resources to conduct a thorough feasibility studies and market survey so as to offer much more than our competitors will be offering. We have home delivery and self – service options for our customers.
Much more than retailing well – prepared coffee via our coffee vans, our customer care is going to be second to none in the whole of Brisbane – Queensland. We know that our customers are the reason why we are in business which is why we will go the extra mile to get them satisfied when they purchase coffee and snacks from us.
At Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd our client’s best interest come first, and everything we do will be guided by our values and professional ethics. We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards and meet our client’s needs precisely and completely.
Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd is owned and managed by Alfred Perth and his immediate family members. The business will be managed by his son Johnson Perth a graduate of Business Administration from the University of Queensland and has extensive experience working with one of the leading food truck companies in Australia. He will bring his experience and expertise to help build and grow Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd to compete favorably with other leading coffee van businesses in Australia.
3. Our Product Offering
We are an establishment that primarily prepare, serve/sell coffee via our customized mobile truck. Our intention of starting Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd is to make profits from the industry and we will do all that is permitted by the law of the Federal Government of Australia to achieve our aim and ambition. Our product and service offerings are listed below;
- Prepare and serve coffee beverages (cappuccino, espresso, iced coffee, decaffeinated coffee, alcoholic coffee (Irish Coffee and Brandy Coffee et al), filtered coffee, cold brew coffee, Turkish coffee, coffee with milk, coffee or espresso with whipped cream, and flavored coffee et al.) via our standard coffee vans
- Retail other non – alcoholic beverages
- Retail snacks
4. Our Mission & Vision Statement
- Our vision is to become the leading coffee van business – brand in the whole of Brisbane – Queensland and to sell our franchise in other cities in Australia and New Zealand.
- Our mission is to establish a standard coffee van business that will make available a wide variety of coffee and snacks at affordable prices to the residents of Brisbane – Queensland and other cities in Australia where we intend positioning our coffee van business.
Our Business Structure
Our intention of starting a coffee van business is to build a standard coffee van business in Brisbane – Queensland with active presence in other key cities throughout Australia and New Zealand. Although our coffee retailing business might not be as big as Starbucks and Dunkin’ Brands, but will ensure that we put the right structures in place that will support the kind of growth that we have in mind.
We will ensure that we hire people that are qualified, honest, customer centric and are ready to work to help us build a prosperous business that will benefit all the stake holders (the owners, workforce, and customers). As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our senior management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of ten years or more.
In view of that, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Executive Officer
- Kitchen Manager
- Admin and HR Manager
- Coffee Van Operators
5. Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Office:
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results
- Creating, communicating, and implementing the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
Admin and HR Manager
- Regularly hold meetings with key stakeholders to review the effectiveness of HR Policies, Procedures and Processes
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Defining job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carrying out induction for new team members
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- Responsible for arranging travel, meetings and appointments
- Oversee the smooth running of the daily office activities.
- Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of the coffee kitchen
- Part of the team that determines the quantity of flavors of coffees that are to be produced
- Maps out strategies that will lead to efficiency amongst workers in the kitchen
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of kitchen workers
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Ensures that the plant meets the expected safety and health standard at all times.
Coffee Van Operators
- Responsible for preparing and serving coffee beverages
- Retail other non – alcoholic beverages
- Retail snacks
- Document all customer contact and information
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting for one or more properties.
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensuring compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the company
- Serves as internal auditor for the company
5. SWOT Analysis
Our intention of starting our coffee van business in Brisbane – Queensland is to test run the business for a period of 2 to 5 years to know if we will invest more money and expand the business all over key Cities in Australia via franchising.
We are fully aware that there are several coffee shops and coffee van business all around Brisbane – Queensland, which is why we are following the due process of establishing a business. We know that if a proper SWOT analysis is conducted for our business, we will be able to position our business to maximize our strength, leverage on the opportunities that will be available to us, mitigate our risks and be equipped to confront our threats.
Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd employed the services of an expert HR and Business Analyst to help us conduct thorough SWOT analysis and to help us create a business model that will help us achieve our business goals and objectives.
Here is a preview of what we got from the critically conducted SWOT Analysis for Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd;
Our location, the business model we will be operating, varieties of payment options, a wide range of coffee and snacks and our excellent customer service culture will definitely count as a strong strength for Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd. So also, our management team members are people who have what it takes to grow a business from startup to profitability within record time.
A major weakness that may count against us is the fact that we are a new coffee van – business and we don’t have the financial capacity to compete with multi – million dollar chains that are already determining the trend in Australia.
The fact that we are going to be operating our coffee van business in one of the busiest streets in the heart of Brisbane – Queensland, provides us with unlimited opportunities to sell our coffee and snacks to a large number of people. We have been able to conduct thorough feasibility studies and market survey and we know what our potential clients will be looking for when they patronize of coffee.
Just like any other business, one of the major threats that we are likely going to face is economic downturn. It is a fact that economic downturn affects purchasing/spending power. Besides, the COVID-19 outbreak is expected to significantly impact the Cafe Industry. Industry revenue has been adjusted from a 0.3% increase to a 14.8% decline – that is a major threat to our business.
Another threat that may likely confront us is the arrival of a new coffee van business, coffee shop or coffee kiosk in same location where we intend marketing our coffee. We are not ruling out the fact that unfavorable government policy can also pose a threat to our business.
6. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
When it comes to retailing coffee, the market trend changes from time to time. Coffee van businesses and coffee shops are seriously researching and creating flavors and varieties that will keep them afloat in business. Any coffee van business that wants to remain relevant in the scheme of things in the industry must be willing to explore the coffee and beverage world; he or she must be able to come up with a product that taste unique from what is available in the market.
Another trend is that the coffee van business in Australia has been sustained by increased consumer spending, driven by higher disposable incomes and greater confidence in the overall economic outlook. As a matter of fact, the demand for coffee and snack has increased at a faster rate than most segments in the foodservice industry, as consumers increasingly seek convenience at an affordable price.
In addition, the industry has adjusted to the ever-changing consumer preferences, especially those relating to health and diet. Going forward, these trends are expected to continue shore up demand. As a result, major coffee van business chains will invest in expansion and international growth, strengthening the revenue generated in the industry.
Technology is a major tool in marketing coffee van business in Australia. There are mobile apps that customers can use to track their favorite coffee van businesses. Other strategies that players in this industry adopts is to ensure that their coffee vans are well branded.
The truth is that people naturally get attracted to colorful designs. Players in this industry also network with event managers, they are in a better position to help them increase sales especially when they are involved in outdoor events.
7. Our Target Market
If you are conversant with coffee vans in Australia, you will quite agree that coffee consumption has shown steady growth over the years and from all indications, the growth is not going to plummet. Coffee addicts would always go out of their way if possible, to drink a cup of coffee.
Usually, coffee sales triple during winter season and small coffee bars struggle to meet demand during this period. Over and above, those who run coffee van businesses don’t struggle to attract clients especially if they are well positioned. We are in business to prepare and serve a wide variety of coffee and snacks via our coffee vans to the following groups of people;
- Event Planners
- Corporate Organizations
- Corporate Executives
- Business People
- Sports Men and Women
Our Competitive Advantage
A close study of the coffee van line of business reveals that the market has become much more intensely competitive over the last ten years. As a matter of fact, you have to be highly creative, customer centric and proactive if you must survive in this industry. We are aware of the stiff competition and we are well prepared to compete favorably with other coffee van business in Brisbane – Queensland.
Our location, the business model we will be operating on (chains of well – branded coffee vans in strategic locations and franchising), varieties of payment options, a wide range of coffee and snacks and our excellent customer service culture will definitely count as a strong competitive advantage for Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd. So also, our management team has what it takes to grow the business from startup to profitability with record time.
Lastly, our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category (startups coffee van business) in the coffee van line of business, meaning that they will be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our aims and objectives.
8. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd is in business to retail a wide variety of coffee and snacks to residents of Brisbane – Queensland via coffee vans. We are in the coffee van line of business to maximize profits and we are going to ensure that we achieve our business goals and objectives.
In essence, our source of income will be the retailing of the following products at affordable prices;
- Prepare and serve coffee beverages (cappuccino, espresso, iced coffee, decaffeinated coffee, alcoholic coffee (Irish Coffee and Brandy Coffee et al), filtered coffee, cold brew coffee, Turkish coffee, coffee with milk, coffee or espresso with whipped cream, and flavored coffee et al.) via our standard and well-equipped coffee vans
- Other non – alcoholic beverages
9. Sales Forecast
The truth is that when it comes to coffee van business, if your coffee van is always strategically positioned, you will always attract customers cum sales. We are well positioned to take on the available market in Brisbane – Queensland and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough income / profits from the first six months of operation and grow the business and our clientele base.
We have been able to examine the coffee van line of business in the whole of Australia and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast. The sales projections are based on information gathered on the field and some assumptions that are peculiar to startups in Brisbane – Queensland and Australia in general.
Below are the sales projections for Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd, it is based on the location of our business and other factors as it relates to similar startups in Australia;
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $135,000 (AUS$)
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $250,000 (AUS$)
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $550,000 (AUS$)
N.B: This projection is done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor offering same products and customer care services as we do within same location.
Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher because Industry profit margins are anticipated to be constrained over the two years through 2020-21. Customer capacity restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic are expected to limit sale volumes.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Before choosing a location to launch Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd, we conducted a thorough market survey and feasibility studies in order for us to penetrate the available market and become the preferred choice for residents of Brisbane – Queensland. We have detailed information and data that we were able to utilize to structure our business to attract the number of customers we want to attract per time.
We hired experts who have good understanding of the coffee van business in Australia to help us develop marketing strategies that will help us achieve our business goal of winning a larger percentage of the available market in Brisbane – Queensland.
In summary, Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd will adopt the following sales and marketing approach to win customers over;
- Open our coffee van business in a grand style with a party for all.
- Introduce our coffee van business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to corporate organizations, schools, event planners, park operators, households and key stake holders in Brisbane – Queensland
- Ensure that we have a wide variety of coffee and snacks all times
- Make use of attractive hand bills to create awareness
- Create a loyalty plan that will enable us reward our regular customers
- Engage on roadshows within our neighborhood to create awareness for our coffee van business.
10. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
In as much as our coffee vans will be well branded and well located, we will still intensify publicity for the business. We are going to explore all available means to promote our business.
Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd has a long term plan of selling franchise and positioning our coffee vans in various locations all around Queensland and key cities in Australia which is why we will deliberately build our brand to be well accepted in Brisbane before venturing out.
As a matter of fact, our publicity and advertising strategy is not solely for winning customers over but to effectively communicate our brand. Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd;
- Place adverts on community-based newspapers, radio and TV stations.
- Encourage the use of word-of-mouth publicity from our loyal customers
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Pinterest, Google+ and other platforms to promote our business.
- Ensure that our we position our banners and billboards in strategic positions all around Brisbane – Queensland
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas in and around our neighborhood
- Contact corporate organizations, households, religious centers, schools, parks, sport centers and event planners et al by calling them up and informing them of Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd and the products we sell
- Advertise our business in our official website and employ strategies that will help us pull traffic to the site
- Brand all our coffee vans, official cars and delivery vans and ensure that all our staff members wear our branded shirt or cap at regular intervals.
Our Pricing Strategy
When it comes to fixing prices for our coffees and snacks, we are going to ensure that we set our prices in line with what is available in the industry in Australia. The bottom line is that our customers will derive real satisfaction when the consume our coffee and snacks
We also have plans in place to discount our coffees once in a while and also to reward our loyal customers with free cups of coffees from time to time.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Alfred Perth® Coffee Van is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the Federal Government of Australia.
Here are the payment options that Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd will make available to her clients;
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards
- Payment via POS machines
- Payment via online bank transfer
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our clients make payment for our coffee and snacks without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials.
11. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
In setting up any business, the amount or cost will depend on the approach and scale you want to undertake. If you intend to go big by renting a place, then you would need a good amount of capital as you would need to ensure that your employees are well taken care of, and that your facility is conducive enough for workers to be creative and productive.
This means that the start-up can either be low or high depending on your goals, vision and aspirations for your business. The tools and equipment that will be used are nearly the same cost everywhere, and any difference in prices would be minimal and can be overlooked.
As for the detailed cost analysis for starting a coffee van business; it might differ in other countries due to the value of their money. These are the key areas where we will spend our startup capital;
- The total fee for registering the business in Australia – $417 – $506 (AUS$).
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $1,300 (AUS$).
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd in the amount of $3,500 and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of – $3,580 (AUS$).
- The cost for hiring Business Consultant – $2,500 (AUS$).
- The cost for the payment of insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400 (AUS$).
- The cost for payment of rent for 12 month at $1.76 per square feet in the total amount of $55,600 (AUS$).
- The cost for the purchase of standard and well-equipped coffee vans (10 units) – $50,000 (AUS$).
- Other start-up expenses including stationery ($500) (AUS$) and phone and utility deposits ($2,500) (AUS$).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills and fueling and maintenance of the vans et al) – $100,000 (AUS$)
- The cost for Start-up inventory (Coffee beans (12 regular brands and five decaffeinated brands) – $6,000 (AUS$) Coffee filters, baked goods, salads, sandwiches, tea, beverages, etc. – $7,900 (AUS$), retail supplies (napkins, coffee bags, cleaning, etc.) – $1,840 (AUS$), the cost for office supplies (one month) – $287 (AUS$), the cost for Espresso machine – $6,000) – $16,027 (AUS$)
- The cost for the purchase of coffee maker – $900 (AUS$), the cost for Coffee grinder – $200 (AUS$)
- Food service equipment (microwave, toasters, dishwasher, refrigerator, blender, etc.) – $18,000 (AUS$)
- Storage hardware (bins, utensil rack, shelves, food case) – $3,720 (AUS$)
- The cost for counter area equipment (counter top, sink, ice machine, etc.) – $9,500 (AUS$)
- Cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $13,750 (AUS$)
- Cost of purchase of coffee vans – $150,000 (AUS$)
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and equipment (computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al) – $4,000 (AUS$)
- The cost of Launching a Website – $600 (AUS$)
- Miscellaneous – $5,000 (AUS$)
We would need an estimate of three hundred and fifty thousand Australian Dollars ($350,000 (AUS$)) to successfully set up our coffee van business in Brisbane – Queensland, Australia.
Generating Funds/Startup Capital for Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd
Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd is a family business that is solely owned and financed by Alfred Perth and his immediate family members. They do not intend to welcome any external business partners which is why he has decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital to 3 major sources.
These are the areas we intend generating our startup capital;
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from my Bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $100,000 (AUS$) (Personal savings $90,000 (AUS$) and soft loan from family members $10,000 (AUS$)) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $250,000 (AUS$) from our bank. All the papers and documents have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited with the amount.
12. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the number of loyal customers that they have, the capacity and competence of their employees, their investment strategy and the business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business, then it won’t be too long before the business closes shop.
One of our major goals of starting Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without the need for injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running. We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to retail our coffees and snacks a little bit cheaper than what is obtainable in the market and we are well prepared to survive on lower profit margin for a while.
Alfred Perth® Coffee Van Company, Ltd will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and re-training of our workforce is at the top burner.
We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Leasing of facility and remodeling the facility (building well-structured kitchen): In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging and Marketing/Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed furniture, racks, shelves, computers, electronic appliances, office appliances and CCTV: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party / launching party planning: In Progress
- Compilation of our list of varieties of coffee flavors that will be available in our coffee van business: Completed
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – suppliers of coffee beans, flours and soft drinks et al: In Progress
- Purchase of coffee vans (branding the vans inclusive): in progress
- Can Sole Traders Get Business Grants in Australia? - March 15, 2021
- 12 Best Burger Franchise Opportunities in Australia and Their Cost - February 15, 2021
- How to Start a Property Development Business in Australia - February 15, 2021