Are you searching for small business opportunities in Birmingham? Are you considering starting a business in Birmingham but you simply lack ideas on what business to start? If YES, then I advice you read on as this article will help solve this problem.
Let’s discuss some statistics which make Birmingham a good place to do business-:
- Birmingham has a population of over 1 million people, making it the most populous British city only next to London.
- Birmingham was ranked by the Globalization and World City Research Network as a major international commercial center ranking third after London and Manchester.
- Birmingham has the highest number of entrepreneurial activity aside London with about 17,000 new business start-ups registered in 2013 alone.
- Birmingham also has a very impressive employment ratio and an attractive GVA.
All of these point to the fact that Birmingham has a very solid economy which is one of the important factors to consider when you want to start a business in any place at all and not just in Birmingham alone. So, what business opportunities are available in Birmingham? Come with me; let me show you 10 solid business ideas that could be explored in Birmingham.
Top 10 Small Business Investment Opportunities in Birmingham
1. Home Energy Consultant-: I have never met anyone who smiled when the electricity bills came in. In fact, if it were up to us, we would love to do without paying electricity bills but unfortunately, that’s impossible, except you want to live in darkness of course, which I personally do not find attractive.
The truth is that there are many people like you and I in Birmingham, people who are extremely tired of skyrocketing electricity bills and are looking for ways to cut costs. This is where a home energy consultant comes in.
As a home energy consultant, your job would revolve around carrying out energy audits and suggesting ways through which companies and home owners can reduce their energy consumption and energy bills. This may be through introduction of alternative sources of energy like wind energy, solar energy, hybrid systems and lots more.
2. Candy Bouquet-: Candy Bouquets is a new but brilliant concept. People love candies just as they cherish flowers and candy bouquets make for very good gifts for any occasion at all. As soon as you get your permit, you can start making and selling candy bouquets which could be picked up by people to be used as gifts. You could also add a home delivery service option to make it more attractive and convenient for your potential customers.
3. Doggie Daycare-: The world is a busy place alright but a lot of people cannot do without pets in spite of their busy schedules and except its ‘bring your pet to work’ day, it would look very unprofessional to take your pet along with you to work.
Apart from that, there are times when people need to travel on long trips and may not be able to take their pets along with them; definitely, such people would need somewhere to keep their pets. If you don’t mind working with dozens of pets, you can start a pet daycare. It doesn’t necessarily have to be for dogs alone; however, doggie daycares are more popular and patronized.
4. Car Hauling-: Motor vehicles are very unpredictable and sometimes, in an annoying way. You get up in the morning, check your engines, your tires, top up your gas and everything seems alright until you are on the highway and your car decides to bail on you.
It happens to the best of us all. At that point, there’s only one thing you would need most in the world; a towing van. Car hauling services is a very good business that you can do in Birmingham because you would always find people who need to be rescued when their vehicles break down.
5. Micro Credit-: Lots of people have smart business idea but always face one challenge. Capital. Although some people get business loans easily, there are people who do not have this privilege. Microcredit business involves lending assistance to people who need money for small business start-ups.
You would earn from the interests which you would charge on the loans which you give out. However, you need to have the skills or get trained so you don’t lose your hard earned money.
6. Money Manager-: While some people are smart enough to handle their investments and funds themselves, some other people are not just skilled in this aspect. They end up mismanaging their funds and running into investment losses
To avoid this problem, a lot of people prefer to hire fund managers who would handle their investments and money on their behalf. If you are very smart and skilled at managing money, this is a very good business idea for you.
7. Home Remodeling Consultant-: You could also make money from helping people to remodel and redecorate their homes. You could also help with space management, office interior decoration and personal organization to mention few. This would be a very good business for you if you are someone who is passionate about beatification and organization.
8. Freight Forwarder-: The world has gone global and it has become easier for people in different geographical locations to transact business with one another. However, shipping still remains a clog in the wheel because shipping costs are almost always on the high side. Freight forwarders help their clients to handle and ship their goods safely and inexpensively.
9. Virtual Call Center-: If you are looking for a business that you can start from the comfort of your home and with little capital too; you have just found the one. Virtual call center agents answer queries, requests, solve problems and respond to enquiries on behalf of their clients.
Companies use virtual call center agents because it’s cheaper for them and they don’t have to worry about pensions and all other employee benefits that they would have to give to permanent staff. As a virtual call center agent, you can work and earn money from your own house. You would find companies willing to hire you on freelancing platforms like Freelancer, Elance and Odesk.
10. Real Estate-: Lastly, you can consider becoming a real estate agent or even investing in the real estate industry by acquiring some properties for rent or resale.