Do you want to start a business in Texas with low risk, high profit? If YES, here are 50 best small business ideas & investment opportunities in Texas for 2020.
If you are looking for a great place to start your business, or you already live in Texas and wondering if the business climate therein would favour you, then I have good news for you; Texas is a great state to start and run a business.
50 Best Business Investment Opportunities in Texas for 2020
1. Coffee Shop: A lot of people love coffee, and would always stop over for freshly brewed coffee every once in a while. Setting up a coffee shop in a busy area will attract many customers during office break times and in the mornings. You can add donuts, pretzels or bagels as coffee accompaniment.
2. Gift shop: granted, there are many gift shops already in Houston, but there is still room for new players in the trade. Though the business might be somewhat seasonal, with profits spiking during the Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Valentine, and other festive periods, an encouraging volume of sales can be made all year round.
3. Hardware Store: setting up a hardware store in Texas is a good business idea not only because you do not need any skills to start the business, but because the startup cost of the business is quite reasonable. You can setup your store in a commercial area and offer a wide variety of products at reasonable rates. To make it more appealing, you can set up an online store front for people to choose items from and offer free delivery.
4. Laundry service: everyone does laundry, and as such a laundry service is a good business to start anywhere including Texas. This business, even as it is lucrative requires very little startup capital and expertise. All you need to do is find a good location and gather the required equipment. Spread word of your business all over your Houston neighborhood and you will surely get clients provided you offer quality services.
5. Appliance repair Business: An appliance repair business repairs equipment and appliances that are used in the home and garden. The barrier to entry into this industry is very low and a majority of establishments in this industry are individuals who are running the business on their own. If you have the knowledge, you can start a business where you can repair appliances for people.
6. Home health care: Home care providers majorly provide non-medical services such as personal care, homemaker and companion services in the homes of their clients. You can start this service on a small scale, but it would definitely expand due to factors such as the aging population and prevalence of chronic diseases such as cancer.
7. Recycling Business: A recycling facility engages in the recycling of materials such as plastic, paper and glass from waste locations. Once these materials have been separated and sorted, operators go ahead to refine them into useable products and then sell them to wholesalers as well as manufacturers. You can run a small recycling plant in Texas and where you can recycle either paper, plastic, metals or the likes.
8. Math center: a lot of students have challenges learning mathematics, and would need a lot of aid. Setting up a mathematics center in Texas would surely fill such need as parents would not hesitate to enroll their kids who have challenges with the subject.
9. Library: a library is an essential facility to have in any state. People go to libraries to read, make research and borrow books, periodicals and magazines. There can never be too many libraries, so one more in Texas would not hurt.
10. Medical billing service: Medical billing is a payment practice within the United States health system. The process involves a healthcare provider submitting, and following up on claims with health insurance companies in order to receive payment for services rendered; such as treatments and investigations. You can start this business in Texas and make a lot of profits, you only need to have good marketing and networking abilities to enable you get contracts.
11. Retail travel agency: A travel agency is a private retailer or public service that provides travel and tourism related services to the public on behalf of suppliers such as airlines, car rentals, cruise lines, hotels, railways, travel insurance, and package tours. You can make money from starting this business in Texas to help people make travel plans.
12. Senior care home: senior home care is a type of residential care that provides a round-the-clock nursing care for elderly people. Texas has a good population of seniors, so starting a business that aims to provide quality care for seniors would prove profitable. But you need to ensure that you have the required personality to handle the elderly.
13. Adult Daycare: An adult daycare center is typically a non-residential facility that supports the health, nutritional, social, and daily living needs of adults in a professionally staffed, group setting. A lot of people on Texas prefer to keep their aged parents and relatives at home instead of sending them to nursing homes, but they would need help to care for them when they need to go out for extended periods. With the right facilities and staff, you can easily carve a niche for yourself.
14. Savings consultant service: a savings consultant helps clients accomplish financial objectives by assessing financial situations; developing and presenting financial strategies and plans; monitoring changes in financial status and life circumstances. Texas being an economically viable state, savings consultancy services are quite essential.
15. Sanitation services: this business amongst other things provides odor control services to commercial, industrial, institutional and private markets. You can set up sanitation business to provide such services for businesses.
16. Fitness club: people always like to keep healthy and fit, and they do so by eating right, getting enough sleep and going to fitness centers. So starting up a small fitness center would sure be a profitable business in Texas.
17. Pilate’s center: Pilates is a physical fitness system that builds strength, flexibility and lean muscle tone with an emphasis on lengthening the body and aligning the spine, rather than on bulking and shortening the muscles. Some people, especially females prefer this fitness format because of its emphasis on toning the muscles instead of enlarging them. This business can be started small and enlarged gradually when you achieve good customer base.
18. Healthy vending machine: these days, people are very careful about what they eat as they seek to minimize calorie laden diets. Healthy vending machines mostly vend fruits, fresh juice etc as against candies and soda. This business would be quite profitable in Texas especially if located in areas where people take their health seriously.
19. Locksmith: Locksmiths are people that fix broken locks, make keys, and install security systems like alarms. Security is a big part of every state, and since people would always want effective locks and security systems, then your services as a locksmith would be in high demand.
20. Fundraising service: a fundraising service is a business that helps individuals and businesses to raise funds for their cause. A professional fundraiser works with charities, nonprofit organizations, schools, groups and political groups to help each organization raise the money it needs. Being that there are a lot of such businesses that need help raising funds in Texas, so a fundraising service would do well in the state. You will get your income from commissions from the funds you raise.
21. Sales and sales management training: this is a sales management training program that provides sales people and sales managers with proven skills, knowledge and tools they need to drive bottom line performance. Texas is a state that is high in productivity, and as such sales is big business there. Setting up a center that trains people to be proficient in sales would be a money spinner because you would always have individuals who want to acquire this skill, and organizations that are sending their people over to be trained.
22. Boutique: part of the basic needs of man is clothing, and everyone has to be clothed no matter the season. You can choose to set up a boutique in the Lone Star State and make a lot of profits. You can choose to go strictly high end in order to carve a niche for yourself because a lot of people can afford such clothes owing to the economic viability of the state.
23. Home inspection service: as a home inspection consultant, your job will be to identify construction and remodeling problems based on local zoning laws and building codes, and you will also be asked to recommend remodeling projects to help add value to a home. This is a small scale business that one can start to take care of properties for people.
24. Dry cleaning service: Texas is a productive state, and many of its citizens are likely to be too busy to take care of their laundry by themselves. A dry cleaning service is a small business that would prove profitable for you if you are able to market it properly.
25. Window cleaning service: window cleaning is a small scale business that can only prove profitable in Texas if you have a right links. It is a fact that Texas has a lot of offices with many of them being high rise and all requiring professional cleaning. You can start this business if you have the right training.
26. Ice cream palour: everybody love treats, and with Texas being a hot state because of its location close to the desert, their weather is almost always suited for ice cream. Just ensure you can produce great tasting ice cream, and you would never lack customers.
27. Interior painting company: it is a fact that people only paint their houses when they have disposable income. With Texas being an economically viable state, it would be easy for people to repaint their houses from time to time.
28. Hood exhaust cleaning business: hood exhaust cleaning (often referred to as kitchen exhaust cleaning) is the process of removing grease that has accumulated inside the ducts, hoods, fans and vents of exhaust systems of commercial kitchens. Texas has a lot of commercial kitchens, and you are sure to make good profit when you start this business.
29. Gardening service: Gardening is a fast-growing business idea that can save customers’ money and beautify the landscape while also helping the environment. With Texans being too busy to take care of their gardens, you can offer this service for a fee.
30. Landscaping business: A landscaping business provides clients with lawn services to keep their yards groomed and can also plant flowers, trees and shrubs. If you have some training in landscaping, you could provide this service too.
31. Kitchen remodelling business: kitchen remodelling is good business as people frequently want to remodel their kitchens. This is also a good small business to start in Texas.
32. Spa service: a spa is a business that provides a variety of services for the purpose of improving health, beauty and relaxation through personal care treatments. Spas offer a variety of services such as manicures, pedicures, hair care, seaweed wraps, aromatherapy, facials, waxing, acupuncture, facial and full body massages. These services are almost essential because people need to relax and pamper themselves after working so hard during the week.
33. Eyebrow threading business: Threading is a method of hair removal that uses strings in fast motions to remove single strands of unwanted hair in order to create a defined eyebrow shape. A lot of people want defined brows all days of the week, and you can make a good deal of profits if you start this business but you have to ensure that you are very professional about it. You can also make it a mobile business to gain more customers.
34. Construction site cleanup: Texas is a state that is always improving on its structures because of its comfortable economic state, and wherever construction is going on, there is bound to be a mess. Construction site cleanup services perform a final cleaning and removal of left over construction materials from commercial and residential properties.
If you can handle this level of cleaning, then you can start this business. But you should note that starting a cleanup business requires a variety of licenses and permits, as well as a budget for buying or leasing the equipment you will need.
35. Recruitment service: Texas is an upwardly mobile town and as such there would always be job opportunities to fill, you can as well decide set up a small business where you recruit staff for companies. You can also provide training for the new staff to increase your earnings.
36. Document scanning service: document scanning is all about transforming your paper piles into text- searchable digital images. Document scanning eliminates the need to store your paper documents in prime office space and allows you to focus on your core business. You can set up this service in a business area and offer your services to businesses.
37. Pool cleaning service: people are always too busy or too lazy to clean their pools by themselves, so you can provide this service in a small scale and rake in profits especially during the summer.
38. Mobile Salon: Nowadays instead of people travelling to salons to utilize their services, the services are travelling towards the people. Setup a vehicle with the required equipment, products and an assistant, then you are good to go. Definitely you will need some skills or you can always learn them. This is a onetime investment which will earn great profits.
39. Travel Agent: travel agents are people who plan trips for clients according to their budgets. You just need to have a good professional circle in the required field and set up your business online. Offer deals to the common holiday destinations and people will keep coming. You can also provide services to the corporate sector.
40. Mobile food truck: A food truck is a large vehicle equipped to cook and sell food. Some, including ice cream trucks, sell frozen or prepackaged food; others have on-board kitchens and prepare food from scratch. The mobile food truck is quite profitable especially when set up near construction sites, or where blue collar workers abound in Texas. You can sell sandwiches, hamburgers, French fries, and other regional fast food fare.
41. Social media consultant: a social media consultant is someone that handles social media publicity for a company. The social media consultant raises company brand awareness through social media. With there being a proliferation of companies in Texas, you can offer this service to companies who would not mind outsourcing it. This business can be started even from home and it requires only minimal startup capital.
42. Chauffeur Agency: the Lone Star State hosts many conferences, symposiums and business meetings frequently. In this regard, many executives, CEOs, business officials and high profile people travel through the city and they need protocol as well. You can invest in some luxurious cars and appoint some people to be chauffeurs for those cars. You can even rent the cars and gradually buy them after saving the amount from business. The better your services, the greater clientele.
43. Meat shop: Texas has many restaurants, diners and eatery businesses which need regular supply of the meat. Moreover many people also like to cook for themselves. You can set up a meat shop of such kind and in a short time you will have regular customers. Yes you need to have a sound knowledge of this business or you can always appoint one for the job.
44. Car wash service: Car wash business is very lucrative for a state like Texas; it requires little investment and skills and you are ready to start the business. Majority of people are lazy to clean their cars themselves, target them by providing the best services and making them your regular customers. You can add sidelines of tyre changing, pressure check and etc.
45. Second-hand Goods Shop: Majority of people prefer to buy second-hand goods than investing heavily in new ones. The better the stuff you have on sale, the greater the customers entering your store. This business requires tact, and you can sell the goods at modest rates keeping a profit for yourself as well.
46. Advertising agency: An advertising agency, often referred to as a creative agency, is a business dedicated to creating, planning, and handling advertising and sometimes other forms of promotion and marketing for businesses. Since Texas is not lacking in innovative organizations, you can approach them to handle their advertising and publicity. This business can be started on a small scale but it has the potential of growing big in future.
47. Mortuary and cremation service: death is a certainty of life, and with the growth of senior citizens in Texas, it only goes to say that a mortuary and cremation business is essential in the state. Have it in mind that you need to have the right attitude before you can succeed in this business.
58. Sports Goods Supplier: Texas is home to major sports leagues and this is the reason for the heavy sports culture here. One of conventional ideas for business in Texas is opening a sports goods store. For this business to kick off on a sound footing, it needs some investment in good quality products. You can always work as an affiliate for some manufacturers in order to get the right products; all you need is to have the skill to sell them.
49. Massage service: A massage therapist is someone who treats clients by using touch to manipulate the soft-tissue muscles of the body in order to relieve pain, rehabilitate injuries, reduce stress, increase relaxation, and aid in the general wellness of people. Most people tend to overwork themselves especially in Texas where people tend to handle multiple jobs. You can set up this business to help them relieve their stress. You only need aggressive marketing to set the business on track.
50. Pet sitting service: with the increase in disposable income, a lot of people in Texas can afford to have pets. You can decide to take care of pets for people when they have reasons to leave their homes for some length of time. You get to walk, feed and bath the pets. Taking care of pets is quite easy as pets generally do their thing most of the day. You can even decide to open a day care where people can bring their pets and collect them at the end of the day.
Why Start a Business Texas, USA?
Texas is sitting on a comfortable economy as it has a very stable telecommunication, technology, healthcare and medical research, banking and transportation sectors. The state is also a great place to do business as it offers reduced taxes, low cost housing and high quality education. In fact, Texas has one of the lowest tax burdens in the united states, ranking as a Top 10 Best State in the Tax Foundation’s 2015 State Business Tax Index.
Texas, also known as the Lone Star State has a natural geographic advantage over other states, with a first rate transportation network and an economy that is constantly developing. Cities such as Houston, Dallas and Austin remain choice destinations for entrepreneurs.
The Lone Star State is home to over 50 Fortune 500 corporate headquarters including Exxon Mobil, Phillips 66 and AT&T. Texas is also home to American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, two of the largest airlines in the world.
In addition to all these, Texas was named the “Best State for Business” by CNBC and has been ranked the “Top State for Business” by CEO Magazine for the past six years, going to show that this state is viable for business and any entrepreneur that wants to move to Texas would be doing himself a great favour.
This state does not only favour big conglomerates as small businesses are also known to thrive there. So if are looking for a small scale business to start up as an individual in order to take advantage of the bubbling economy of Texas, then here are 50 small businesses for you to think on.