Are you about writing a business plan to start a food company? If YES, here are 100+ sample food business plans & templates for FREE download.
If you take your time to observe businesses around you, you will find out that any business that relates to food thrives – especially if the business is strategically positioned.
Food business is perhaps one of the businesses that an entrepreneur can start and grow to profitability within a short period of time. Over and above, the food industry is a very large industry and despite the competition in the industry, people are still making profits out of the industry.
We understand the fact that writing a business plan from scratch can be a herculean task and hiring a food consultant to prepare a business plan is a NO-NO as most startups are usually operating on a shoestring budget. This is the sole reason we created these FREE sample food business plan templates.
100+ Sample Food Business Plans & Templates
A. Food Processing Business Plans – Humans have evolved to such a time when they are no longer able to consume all they have cultivated. This is due in part to the effective use of technology in farming. The food surplus that resulted from these robust farm practices need to be preserved, and this was what gave rise to food processing.
B. Restaurant Business Plans – Starting a food business may sound easy, as there are lots of business ideas and opportunities in the food industry. But the truth is that if you are looking to start a restaurant, such that you do not want to die a quick death, then you have got to do the needful to make sure that it does stand the test of time.
C. Bar Business Plans – One of the ways to relax after a hard day’s work includes going to cool off at a bar. In the United States of America for instance; there is always the need to go cool off because of the need to work round the clock if need be and then make ends meet.
This is one of the reasons why quite a number of people do not joke with the aphorism that says ‘all work and no play, makes jack or Debbie (as the case may be) a dull boy’. As such, bars will continue to spring up here and there.
D. Food Truck & Cart Business Plans – Food truck business can simply be classified as a restaurant on the go (mobile restaurant). Food truck is essentially a large truck that is equipped with the necessary gadgets to cook and conveniently sell food. It is a business venture that has come to stay; a business that is gaining momentum as the years roll by.
E. Coffee & Tea Shop Business Plans – Coffee business is one of the businesses that an entrepreneur can successfully start in the corner of a busy street or on a mobile shop without breaking the bank for cash. At the same time, big – time investors can also leverage on the high demand for coffee to set up their own coffee shops / cafés in strategic locations all around key cities in the United States of America and in other parts of the world.
More Sample Food Business Plans & Templates
1. Gourmet Popcorn Business Plan – Popcorn is a favorite snack for most people in the United States of America and is sold almost everywhere in the country. It is sold in parks, malls, restaurants, amongst many other places. If this business is properly planned, managed and marketed, it can go on to be a long lasting business with plenty of profits.
2. Catering Service Business Plan – There is hardly any country in the world where one may not find caterers who are into full – time catering businesses.
Professional caterers do not only cater for big organizations, government agencies, institutions and parties, but they can also be contacted to handle home catering services for people who can the luxury. This means that people who host a huge number of visitors per time in their houses can relax and allow the burden of cooking to be taken off them.
3. Bakery Business Plan – Without a shadow of doubt, indeed, baked foods are always in high demand. This is no wonder that those who have stayed long in the trade can authoritatively boast of making millions in a month or less. Bakery business is one business that one that doesn’t have an inkling about how to bake, can go get trained, practice, start a business and within a short space of time get good returns on investment.
4. Custom Cake Making Business Plan – Cake making is part of the bakery industry and it is estimated that the industry involves more than 2,800 commercial bakeries and they together drag in a combined annual revenue of about $30 billion, along with about 6,700 retail bakeries with annual revenue of about $3 billion.
The cake industry has been profitable and would continue to be, you only have to find a niche that suites you best and then engage in extensive marketing after you must have set up the business.
5. Pizza Shop Business Plan – This lucrative industry is made up to of businesses that make and serve pizza and other related items. The industry includes both full-service shops and quick-service businesses. We agree there are well-established and well-known pizza brands in the industry, yet there are also a large number of small, independent and locally focused pizza shops across the United States. Reports have it that about 55.3% of US pizza stores are small independently owned shops.
6. Liquor Store Business Plan – The Liquor, Beer and Wine industry is indeed a very large industry and pretty much thriving in all the parts of the world. Statistics has it that in the United States of America alone, there are about 41,285 licensed liquor stores responsible for employing about 170,399 employees and the industry rakes in a whooping sum of $48bn annually.
7. Cupcake Shop Business Plan – Cupcake is a niche market in the baking and culinary industry and statistics has it that there are 400 registered cupcake outlets in the United States of America and 770,000,000 cupcakes are consumed in the U.S. in 2012 alone. Crumbs Bake Shop® is the highest selling cupcake shop in the United States with estimated net sales of $8.9m and a gross profit of $5.1m in 2011.
8. Sandwich Shop Business Plan – The Sandwich and Sub Store Franchises / Restaurant industry is a thriving sector of the economy of the United States which generates a whooping sum of well over $22 billion annually from more than 26,740 registered sandwich and sub stores scattered all around the United States of America.
9. Smoke Shop Business Plan – The Cigar Lounges (Smoke Shop) industry comprises businesses known as smoke shop, cigar bars or lounges, where patrons can purchase and smoke cigars freely with fear or breaking the law of a country or city. Businesses in this industry usually provide limited food and alcohol services as a means of increasing their revenue generation.
10. Personal Chef Business Plan– When we talk about the personal chef line of business, we are talking about a business that involves a chef who provides professional services. Basically, a personal chef is a male or a female who is hired by different households for the purpose of preparing meals in the clients’ home kitchens, based on their nutrition and feeding needs and preferences.
11. Ice Candy Store Business Plan – A candy store is a retail outlet where different candies, chocolates, chewing gums, sweeties, and toffees et al are sold. Basically, candy stores ensure that they target locations where they can easily attract children because children are the major consumers of products from candy stores.
12. Shawarma Stand Business Plan – Shawarma is eating as a fast food that is made up into a sandwich wrap with bread or pita alongside vegetable. Vegetable such as cucumber, onion, tomato, lettuce, eggplant, cabbage, pickles or rhubarb et al are include in the preparation of shawarma.
13. Catering Equipment Hire Business Plan – The equipment catering rental industry is getting sophisticated as values of partnerships continue to grow and more optimism being seen in the market as regards opportunities and growth for businesses in the industry.
The innovation sweeping into this industry is huge, as manufacturers are seeking to produce equipment that will ensure that food or menu development is highly maximized without compromising on the quality of the equipment. Also, most of the equipment being manufactured are tending towards efficiency as well as labor saving solutions.
14. Lemonade Stand Business Plan – Lemonade stands is a very lucrative business that can be started by even kids and college students to make some money for themselves during the holidays and summers. This business is also a good business idea for stay-at-home parents or unemployed people. With less than $100, you can start your lemonade business for yourself.
15. Self Serve Frozen Yogurt – It is on record that many players in the Frozen Yogurt Stores industry were able to successfully beat the economic downturn and grow strongly over the last five years, as tart frozen yogurt became one of America’s favorite frozen desserts. The tart variety of yogurt, which to some extent has sour taste similar to that of traditional Greek-style yogurts, has been popular since Pinkberry introduced the flavor into the market in 2005.
16. Food and Beverages Distribution Business Plan – Reality is that, starting a beverage distribution business is a profitable business, and it is a very easy business to start, plus it is not so capital intensive- especially if you get the goods on trust from the production companies. Getting the right products that people want to buy and good networking and stock keeping records are the secrets of running a beverage distribution business.
17. Homemade Chocolate Shop Business Plan – Starting a homemade chocolate retail business is a very easy business to start and it is a business that be started with very minimal start – up capital. Getting the right formula and good stock keeping records are the secrets of running a homemade chocolate retail business.
Chocolate consumption seems to be a mainstay among US consumers. In recent time, the revenue for the Chocolate Stores industry that homemade chocolate retail business is a part of has expanded and will continue to increase over the next half a decade.
18. Shave Ice Business Plan – Shave ice or Hawaiian shave ice as it is popularly called is an ice-based dessert made by shaving a block of ice. Even though the product looks like a snow cone, but snow cones are made with crushed ice as against shaved ice. Despite the fact that it is made with shaved ice, it is called “shave ice”, not “shaved ice”.
19. Food Concession Stand Business Plan – The food service industry is one that relies on customer’s spending confidence and increase in disposable income to generate income. The economic downturn of the past five years even though it affected traditional food restaurants did not affect concession stand owners and other food street vendors, and this was due to the fact that the food sold by these street vendors and concession stands were considerably more cheaper.
More Sample Food Business Plan Templates
20. Italian Ice Cream Business Plan – If you intend starting an Italian ice cream related business, you are expected to launch the business in a location with the right climatic condition – a place where there is some measure of fair weather in terms of heat and all that. If you make the mistake of launching an ice cream business in a city known to snow all through the calendar year, you are likely not going to make headway with such business.
21. French Fries Business Plan – French fries food business belongs to the Snacks Food Production industry and operators in this industry primarily produces snack foods such as potato and corn chips, pretzels, roasted and salted nuts, nut butters, popcorn and other related snacks. Most players in this industry do not produce cookies, crackers, bakery products, cereal or granola bars et al.
22. Water Refill Station Business Plan – The Water Supply and Irrigation Systems industry that water refill station is a part of is a thriving sector of the economy of the United States of America and they generate a whooping sum of well over $73 billion annually from more than 48,738 registered and licensed water supply and irrigation systems companies scattered all around the United States of America.
23. Wine Distribution Business Plan – The wine distribution business is one that is an all seasonal business and is also one that is recession proof. This business is one that is very lucrative because it doesn’t require employing too many hands. Another plus to starting this kind of business is that you get to know all the vintners in the area where you will be operating from.
24. Frozen Food Business Plan – Sincerely, if you are interested in the food industry, the frozen food sector is a good one to give consideration especially if you live in a city. Indeed there are many things you can market in this industry such as fruits, vegetables, meat, chicken, turkey, fish, candy etc. If you plan to start this business, you need to conduct a market research to understand what the people in your locality need.
25. Bottled Water Distribution Business Plan – A bottled water distribution business is one business that can cause an innovative entrepreneur to become very wealthy as it is one sure business that is very lucrative. The demand for bottled water by consumers in the United States of America rose from the distrust of tap water due to the belief that chemical pollution even though in minute quantities from industrial and agricultural sources, has found its way to the water table.
26. Food Kiosk Business Plan – Opening a food kiosk business may sound easy but the truth is that if you are looking to start this type of business and you do not want to get frustrated, then you have do everything within your might to make it stand the test of time. Quite a lot needs to be done to see that your food kiosk business does take flight within the period that you projected. The question therefore is; what is the top priority on the list that must be tackled urgently?
27. Dessert Catering Business Plan – Dessert catering business is part of the caterers industry and this industry comprises of companies that provide event-based food services. Caterers generally have equipment and vehicles to transport meals and snacks to events or prepare food off-site.
28. Food Hub Business Plan – It can be truly challenging starting any business, but one business that you could start with little challenges and wide market coverage is a food hub business. A food hub business is a business that involves dealing with agricultural produce.
Food hubs are a part of the agricultural industry value chain model and often share common values relating to conservation, sustainability, healthy food access, and supporting local farmers in getting good returns for their produce.
29. Frozen Custard Business Plan – Frozen custard is a cold dessert just like your usual ice cream, but it is made with eggs in addition to cream and sugar. It is usually kept in a warmer temperature compared to ice cream, and typically has a denser consistency. Both ice cream and frozen custard are made with milk, cream and sugar. There is no major difference in ingredients and the machines used to make them.
30. Soda Shop Business Plan – The Soda drink industry is indeed a large industry and pretty much active in most countries of the world. Statistics has it that in the United States of America alone, there are about 273 registered and licensed soda shops scattered all across the United States responsible for employing about 51,692 people and the industry rakes in a whooping sum of $45 billion annually.
31. Soda Pub Business Plan – Soda pubs retail products from the soda production industry and companies in the industry manufacture soft drinks by blending various ingredients with artificially carbonated water. This industry also includes energy beverages. Producers of bottled water, ready-to-drink teas and coffees, as well as juice manufacturers are not part of the soda production industry.
32. Funnel Cake Business Plan – Funnel cakes are becoming very popular these days and people find them quite delicious. Starting this business is not as easy as it sounds, as it will take a lot of careful research and deliberation to succeed in the business. You can choose to start up a retail location or focus solely on custom orders.
You can also choose to start a mobile funnel cake business and choose whether to sell in schools or the business districts of your city. You can start small and once you must have established a name in the industry, you can share your secrets with other aspiring bakers, opening additional locations in your area, or on a national scale.
33. Marijuana Cafe Business Plan – Marijuana café is an establishment where patrons visit to purchase and consume cannabis in different forms especially for leisure. Businesses in this industry usually sell marijuana edibles and also provide limited food and alcohol services as a means of increasing their revenue generation.
34. Marijuana Edibles Business Plan – Marijuana edible which is also referred to as cannabis-infused food, is a food product that contains cannabinoids, especially tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Even though edible may refer to either a food or a drink, a cannabis-infused drink may be referred more to a liquid edible or drinkable. In U.S. states that have legalized cannabis for recreational use, drinks were about 4 percent of the cannabis market in 2014 but had fallen to around 1.5 percent of the market in 2016.
35. Food Testing Lab Business – Food testing labs engage in food testing, and food testing is a process used to check whether a food is safe and that it does not contain harmful contaminants, or that it contains only permitted additives at acceptable levels, or that it contains the right levels of key ingredients and its label declarations are correct, or to know the levels of nutrients present.