Are you about writing a business plan to start a healthcare business? If YES, here are 100+ sample healthcare business plans & templates for FREE download.
The healthcare industry covers medicine (medical practices), pharmacy (drug manufacturing et al), medical equipment manufacturing and research institutes, amongst others. In essence, any entrepreneur who is interested in this industry can comfortably settle for any of the options listed earlier. One of the good things about this industry is the point that one smiles to the bank whilst saving lives as it were.
For instance; the pharmaceutical industry is known for developing, producing, and marketing medicine (drugs) or pharmaceuticals that are used as medications. Retail pharmacy business are known to be involved in the sale (retailing) of generic or brand medications, some big pharmaceutical stores engage in the sale of medical devices as well.
Sample Healthcare & Medical Business Plan Templates
a. Fitness and Gym Business Plans – If you very much agree with the saying that goes ‘ health is wealth’, then you may also very well agree that one of the ways of staying healthy is by keeping fit and having a good BMI. It is very important to not be complacent when the issue of staying fit comes to fore. This is one of the reasons why there has been the craze for fitness lately all over the globe. Those who are particular about staying fit know that it is a part of life.
b. Home Care Business Plans – Many elderly folks in the United States would prefer to spend the rest of their days in the comfort of their own homes, as opposed to retiring to a nursing home, where they may not enjoy the independence they probably have come to cherish while in their younger years.
Because aging impacts the body’s strength and vitality, elderly people sometimes need help to properly handle their daily affairs. The above expressed condition has become one of the major reasons why non-medical home healthcare businesses are on the rise in the United States.
c. Hospital and Clinic Business Plans – Starting a hospital is one of those businesses that require you to first look at the existing laws in the country or the State you reside, before going all out to start the business. This is so because there is hardly any country that does not pay serious attention on their health sector. The health industry is usually highly regulated so as to guide against the infiltration of quacks or substandard hospital or health facilities.
d. Pharmacy Business Plans – The global pharmaceutical industry is responsible for the development, production and marketing of medications. Reports have stated that the total pharmaceutical revenue worldwide surpassed one trillion U.S. dollars in 2016, with North America responsible for the largest portion of these revenues, because of the leading role of the U.S. pharmaceutical industry.
100+ Sample Healthcare Business Plans & Templates
1. Stem Cell Banking Business Plan – Stem cell business is grouped under the blood and organ banking industry and human stem cell banks collect, test, preserve and deliver stem cells from donors either for preparation of cell lines for use in research, or for future use through banking umbilical cord blood.
Stem cells are cells (the functional basic unit of life) that have the potential to differentiate into a variety of tissue. This industry excludes public stem cell banks and companies that primarily research, develop and manufacture therapeutic products using stem cells.
2. Medical Marijuana Dispensary Business Plan – Medical marijuana business is gradually gaining ground in the United States of America and loads of entrepreneurs are taking advantage of the new development to make money from it, simply because the demand is high, and it attracts lower sale taxes especially in Colorado.
So, if you live in a country or state that legalized the use of marijuana as an alternative medicine, then you should consider starting your own medical marijuana business.
3. Physical Massage Therapy Business Plan – When we talk about physical or massage therapy business, we are talking of a profitable business that involves offering healthcare related services that helps people get fully healed from an ailment or to help people soothe their muscle soreness, improve their sleep, boost their immune system function, increasing their mental alertness, ease the effects of cancer treatment, aid headache sufferers, alleviate depression, and ultimately reduce stress
4. Non-emergency Medical Transportation Business Plan – The Non – Emergency Medical Transportation Services industry comprises of both private and municipal operators that basically provide transportation alongside medical care for patients either by ground or air.
These services most often than not are provided during a medical emergency, but they are not restricted to such instances; they are also used for non – emergency medical transportation services. The ambulances or vehicles as the case maybe are usually well – equipped with lifesaving equipment operated by medically trained employee i.e. nurses and doctors et al.
5. Health Coaching Business Plan – The Health Coaching Services industry includes health practitioners who have a bachelor’s degree in health science or any health related field, licensure, certification or registration and primarily advise on matters of health care. These practitioners operate private or group practices in their own offices or in the facilities of others, including hospitals or other medical centers.
6. Dietitian Private Practice Business Plan – The Dietitians & Nutritionists industry is a thriving sector of the economy of the United States of America and they generate over $10 billion annually from more than 147,506 registered and licensed dietitian and dietitian private practice firms scattered all around the United States of America.
7. Medical Lab & Diagnostics Business Plan – A diagnostic center is considered a major support for hospitals all over the world, which is why it is highly necessary that everything regarding the business be done right, as a single false result could eventually ruin the reputation of the diagnostics center.
8. Health & Medical Spa Business Plan – The Health and Wellness Spa industry has experienced stable development over the five years to 2016. Industry proceeds have progressively recovered with improving per capita disposable income and consumer confidence.
To make profit, spas have stretched their array of service offerings, predominantly their range of anti-aging and medical treatments. The baby-boomer generation is likely to take advantage of growing anti-aging services over the next five years, making the demographic an exclusively important source of industry growth.
9. Medical Tourism Agency Business Plan – A medical tourism agency is a good business to start in the United States. This is so because the United States can boast of some of the best healthcare facilities and medical practitioners. As a matter of fact, the United States is the number one destination for foreigners looking for countries to birth their children.
The medical tourism agency business is not all about hospitals and health facilities looking for patients from all around the world, but also for foreigners looking for good health care facilities anywhere outside their country, or healthcare workers looking for standard hospitals abroad to understudy. The medical tourism agency business is indeed a far-reaching business.
10. Medical Billing & Coding Business Plan – Starting a medical billing and coding business is not too expensive except for the money required to rent, furnish an office space and purchase the applicable software apps.
Running this type of business requires that you should be trained and it is indeed a very lucrative business in the United States, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom because of the desire for continuous engagement between clients and key stakeholders in the healthcare industry.
11. Medical Device Development Business Plan – The Medical device development business basically develops and manufactures various devices that are used in the healthcare industry. Just like most businesses, the medical device development business is open to as many people that are interested in the industry as long as they have the required experience and qualifications.
12. Medical Equipment Retail Shop Business Plan – To succeed in running a medical equipment retail shop, your business must be in a good location,you must have easy access to wholesale supply of quality medical equipment, good customer service and accounting skills.
The truth is that if your shop is located in an area with tons of hospitals, medical facilities, vehicular traffic and you have quality medical equipment and instruments from different brands, you may not have to struggle to get people to visit your shop and make purchases.
13. Blood Bank Business Plan – Blood is life and there is a thriving business that revolves around making blood available to those who need blood transfusion to stay alive. If you are an entrepreneur in the United States or in any country where private individuals are allowed to own blood banks, then you might want to consider starting your own blood bank business.
14. Sperm & Egg Bank Business Plan – Sperm bank business falls under the Fertility Clinics industry and this industry comprises of medical facilities that offer treatments to aid individuals in conceiving children. Aside from sperm bank, these facilities offer diagnosis, medications, intrauterine insemination, in vitro fertilization and other assisted reproductive technology methods.
15. Dental Hand Piece Repair Business Plan – Dental handpiece is an instrument for holding dental burs to remove tooth structure or to smooth and polish restorative materials. Handpiece rotations are measured in rotations per second. Handpieces may be powered by electric motor or air turbines and are characterized as high speed or low speed depending on their rotational speed.
A close study of the Dental Equipment Dealers industry that dental handpiece repair line of business is a part of, shows that the industry has experienced remarkable stability over the past five years as a result of rapid improvements in dental technology.
16. Concierge Medicine Business Plan – Concierge medical practice is a medical practice that gives room for a unique relationship between a patient and a doctor (primary care physician) in which the patient pays an annual fee or what is known as retainership, hence concierge medical practice or concierge medicine can also be called retainer medicine.
This retainer fees may or may not be in addition to other charges depending on the doctor. In the United States, patients pay an annual or monthly fee which often totals to about $1,200 to $5,000 per year.
17. Teeth Whitening Business Plan – Dentists or dental related businesses never go out of trade. If you are interested in starting a business in the healthcare industry, one of the most preferred options – particularly if you are operating on a shoestring budget, is to open a teeth whitening business. With minimal startup capital, you can successfully launch your own teeth whitening clinic.
18. Nutrition Consulting Business Plan – Nutrition consulting is under the Nutritionists & Dietitians industry and players in this industry also includes health practitioners who have a bachelor’s degree, licensure, certification or registration and primarily advise on matters of diet and nutrition and their effects on health. These practitioners operate private or group practices in their own offices or in the facilities of others, including hospitals or other medical centers.
19. Mental Health Counseling Business Plan – Mental health counselling business is part of the Mental Health and Substance Abuse Centers industry and the industry is made up of organizations that provide long-term residential care and treatment for patients with mental health and substance abuse illnesses.
These establishments offer long-term housing, supervision and counseling services. Please note that this industry does not include hospitals with inpatient and outpatient care or facilities that primarily provide services for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
20. Private Ambulance Business Plan – The Ambulance Service industry comprises of both private and municipal operators that basically provide transportation alongside medical care for patients either by ground or air.
These services most often than not are provided during a medical emergency, but they are not restricted to such instances as they are also used for non-emergency medical transportation services. The ambulances or vehicles as the case maybe are usually equipped with lifesaving equipment that are operated by medically trained employees.
21. Maple Syrup Production Business Plan – Maple syrup is a syrup that is prepared from the sugary sap of the maple tree. Maple syrup is classified as maple syrup only when it reaches a sugar level of concentration of 66 percent sugar.
Maple syrup manufacturing is classified under the syrup and flavoring production industry and operators in this industry manufacture flavoring syrup, drink concentrates and related products for soda fountains or beverage manufacturers. Please note that manufacturers, bottlers, distributors and retailers of finished beverage products, such as soda or juice are not part of this industry.
22. Eye Surgery Equipment Maker Business Plan – Eye surgery equipment maker business is under the ophthalmic instrument manufacturing industry and players in this industry manufacture ophthalmic diagnostic instruments and surgical equipment used in eye-related medical procedures.
Examples of diagnostic equipment include optical coherence tomography scanners, ophthalmic ultrasound systems, cameras, scopes, tonometer and lighting equipment. Examples of surgical equipment include ophthalmic lasers, as well as cataract, glaucoma, refractive and other surgery devices.
23. Speech Pathology Private Practice Business Plan – Professionals who are into speech pathology practice are grouped under the Speech-Language Pathologists industry and this industry is made up of health practitioners that primarily evaluate, diagnose and treat speech, language, cognitive-communication and swallowing disorders.
A close study of the industry shows that the industry has experienced steady conditions and stable growth over the past five years. In recent years, rising student enrollment rates have stimulated demand for the industry’s services. Most importantly, increased access to health insurance has better enabled individuals to afford industry services, as many speech-language pathology services are covered by health insurance.
24. Dental Laboratory Business Plan – Players in the dental laboratories industry are known to manufacture dentures, crowns, bridges and orthodontic products customized for individual application as prescribed by licensed dentists.
Technological changes in the Dental Laboratories industry, specifically computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) systems, improved the overall quality of products and services offered by industry operators over the five years to 2018. New and innovative technologies improved efficiency and provided flexibility to industry operators, however, a transforming competitive landscape presented new challenges.
25. Herbal Medicine Products Business Plan – Companies in the herbal medicine industry are known to blend and package plant infusions made from leaf, root, fruit or flower that comes from a plant other than the tea plant. They also produce herbal and nutritional supplements. Please note that this industry does not include iced and ready-to-drink herbal teas.
If you are a close observer of happenings in the Herbal Medicine and Tea Production industry, you will agree that the industry has contracted over the past five years. Despite positive consumer trends, including a rise in health consciousness, the industry faltered at the start of the period due to decline in general tea consumption.
26. Stem Cell Therapy Business Plan – Cell therapy falls under the branch of regenerative medicine, which according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), is defined as the process of creating living, functional tissues to repair or replace tissue or organ function loss due to age, disease, damage or congenital defects. The Cell Therapy industry consists of businesses that are into skin and chronic wound cell therapy products, musculoskeletal cell therapy products and cancer cell therapy products.
27. Medical Equipment Rental Business Plan – The Medical Equipment Rental industry is made up of businesses that engage in general medical equipment rental, some other players in the industry may also engage in support services and surgical equipment rentals.
Take for instance, some hospitals or medical facilities rent ultrasound, remote patient monitoring and X-ray equipment, as well as other types of medical equipment that tend to become obsolete quickly.
28. DNA Testing Center Business Plan – One of the businesses that you won’t find loads of people involved in is one that requires detailed technical scientific skills and one of such businesses is a DNA testing business or a genetic laboratory business. The fact that loads of people are not involved in this type of business does not mean that it is not profitable.
The truth is that if your lab is located in an area with loads of hospitals and medical facilities and vehicular traffic and you have competent and highly qualified DNA testing specialists and scientists under your payroll, you may not have to struggle to get people to patronize your services.
29. Medical Supply Business Plan – Businesses in the medical supplies industry manufacture and supply instruments and supplies, store these items at distribution centres, and deliver the products and some other services to professionals in the medical field.
30. Medical Courier Business Plan – Medical courier business involves the transportation of delicate organs, lab specimens, medical equipment and machines make up the variety of items a medical courier can transport. The industry is a very large one, with hundreds of billions of dollars being generated both as revenue and as profit every year.