Are you a high school student or unemployed trying to choose a career? If YES, here are 10 personality tests and survey questions to help you find the right career.
Finding the right career path to follow should be the concern of every young man or women who intend making all round success from their career – life. The right career path is not solely about the money one tends to get from the profession but also the fulfillment and certification that can be derived as a result of working in a career path.
It is important to state that no career path is superior to another it is just a matter of what people want to achieve in life and the goal that they have set for themselves. So, in essence, no body should feel inferior as a result of the career that they have chosen for themselves. The truth is that anybody can make success at of any career path that they have chosen if they are dedicated to it.
There are several careers that a young woman and man can choose from; it could be medicine, pharmacy, engineering, music, law, nursing, banking, sports, human resources, pilot, chef, academician, film production, information technology and military et al.
The bottom line is that people should not be forced to choose a specific career because of only the monetary reward they stand to get from the career but simply because it is a thing they want to do. Now let us quickly consider some questions that if answered honestly will guide you in finding the right career;
Will Taking a Personality Test Help You Find the Right Career?
One of the methods of discovering the right career path to follow is to go through a well designed personality test. What are personality tests, you may ask? Personality tests are designed in such a way that if you answer the questions asked honestly, you will be amazed to discover that the result you get at the end of the test will go a long way to reveal the area of your interest; your career.
There are several personality tests online that are designed to help people discover their most suitable career path. As a matter of fact, some organizations subject applicants to personality tests during recruitment processes in order for them to know if you are suitable for the role you are being interviewed for. It is the usual practice especially if the screening is for graduates trainee or management trainees. Let us quickly consider the reasons why taking a personality test can help you find the right career path to follow;
- The Questions are Well Crafted-: With the aim of helping you discover yourself by just giving sincere and honest answers. For example; questions are asked without you having any inkling about where the questions will lead to or what the questions are all about.
- The End Results will be determined by the Answers You Give-: For example, if after going through a personality test, and the result shows that you are supposed to be a civil engineer, even if in your heart you don’t intend becoming a civil engineer, you will realize that the career in your mind may be close to it. It could be Building Engineering or any engineering field and not banking or nursing et al.
- The Tests are designed by Professionals (Psychologists and Career Coaches)-: The fact that personality tests are designed by professional psychologists and career coaches makes it a highly suitable tool to use when you want to discover the right career path to follow. These professionals would have invested enough time in researching and also subjecting the personality test to different processes that will make it universally acceptable and also to give the result that is expected.
- It is meant to Drill You to Bring out Your Best Quality-: In some instances, the personality test will help you discover hidden qualities in you that you never knew you possessed. A comprehensive personality test naturally will drill any individual and at the end of the day it points the individual to the right career path that is most suitable for their personality- especially if the personality test is designed with the aim of helping people discover their careers.
10 Survey Questions to Help You Find the Right Career for You
1. What is Your Life Goal?
One of the questions that you should ask yourself if you want to know the best career path to follow is to ask yourself ‘what is my life goal?’ If you can give sincere answer to the question, then you will have an idea of the career path that will be suitable for you. For example, if your life goal is to fly around the world, it could mean that being a pilot might be the right career path for you or even being a preacher et al might not just be it for you.
2. What Natural Skills Do You Have?
Another question that you should ask yourself that will give you a pointer to the right career path for you is ‘what natural skills do I have?’ The truth is that everybody is born with some natural talents; it could be singing, it could be mediating, it could be sports, it could be fixing home appliances and it could be virtually anything that you can do very well and effortlessly that doesn’t come naturally to everybody. If you are able to discover your naturally skills, you can match it with the available career path that you know, and that will help you choose the right career path to follow.
3. What Do You Enjoy Doing?
In order to achieve an all – round success in your career, you must be engaged in something that you truly enjoying doing, even if you are not going to be paid for it; something that you are willing to do for free. So, an indication that will point to the fact that your choice of career is the right one for you is when the career involves activities that you derive excitements from; an activity that truly energizes you.
For example; if you enjoy taking care of people, you can start a career as a nurse and if you enjoying playing soccer and indeed you can play for free, it means starting a career as a professional soccer player might just the right career choice for you.
4. What are The Views of People that are Close to You as Regards Your Choice of Career?
We are not all – knowing on our own- that is why we have people around us that we can ask questions and also get guidance from. Part of what you need to do that will help you choose the right career path is to seek the views of people that are close to you, know the career path that they feel is the best for you based on their interactions with you and what they know that you can do pretty well. People close to you could be your parents, you siblings, your friends and even your teachers / lecturers.
5. Who is Your Role Model and What Does He or She Do?
Another guide that will help you choose the right career path is to discover someone that you would love to pattern your life after, someone that you are proud to be his protégée. The career of your role model might just be the right career path for you.
6. If You Already Have the Money That You Need, What Career Path Will You Choose?
If you already have the money that you would ever need, what career path will you choose? That is a clear cut question that will help you make the right career choice. If money is not your motivation and you still want to be engaged in a career, it means that the career is your right career choice.
7. What Specific Problem Would You Rather Solve?
Another question that you should ask yourself that will help you choose the right career path is ‘what specific problem do I really want to solve?’ If you can pick a problem that you truly want to solve, it will give you a pointer to the right career path for you. For example, if you enjoy solving dispute amongst friends, it means that the legal profession might just be the right career path for you to follow.
8. What is Your Picture of an Ideal Career Life?
Another survey question that you should ask yourself if truly want to discover the right career is ‘what is your mental picture of an ideal career life?’ Your mental picture of an ideal career life is a pointer to the career that will give you joy. For example, if you mental picture of an ideal career life is one where the man will wear suit and knot tie to work everyday, carrying a business portfolio and working on a computer regularly, it might indicate that working in a bank, consulting firm, research firm and in a corporate setting might just be the ideal career for you.
9. What was Your Childhood Fantasies? As unserious as it sounds, one’s childhood fantasies might just be a pointer to the right career path for him / her. When you probe into your childhood fantasies and you are likely going to discover the right career path to follow.
10. What Skills Do People Really Appreciate in Your Life
Another thing that will help you discover the right career path to follow is to ask people around you to know the skills they appreciate in your life. The truth is that people that are close to you can help you choose the right career path for you to follow based on the skills that they appreciate in your life.
There you have it; 10 survey questions that you should ask yourself that will help you choose the right career.