Do you want to open a chiropractic clinic by buying a franchise? If YES, here is how much it cost to open Healthsource Chiropractic & Progressive Rehab franchise successfully. Owing to the massive growth being experienced in the United States healthcare market, it’s not just doctors who are now acquiring medical franchises; even business professionals with no medical background are looking to invest in the profitable recession proof industry.
Healthsource Chiropractic is renowned as the nation’s largest chiropractic franchise, and has enjoyed an increase in franchises acquired by people with no health background. In the United States, Chiropractic is an exploding $12.7 billion dollar market with some 27 million Americans (almost 10% of the U.S. population) visiting a chiropractor each year. According to experts, this category is projected to grow even further with more people seeking medical alternatives to surgery and drugs.
Note that this offers a lucrative opportunity for business people without a medical background who can use their business management skills to effectively operate centres while hiring clinically superb chiropractors to offer high-quality, cost-effective patient care.
It is important you understand that franchising offers a proven model with systems and technology in place to limit unnecessary mistakes and guesswork that often plague first time business owners. According to exports, franchise businesses are four times more likely to succeed than the average start-up.
Healthsource Chiropractic, based in Cleveland, Ohio, is renowned as the world’s largest chiropractic franchise with 360 clinics nationwide. After enjoying unbelievable success with his own four chiropractic clinics, in 2006, Dr. Chris Tomshack founded the franchise.
He has gone on to establish on a national scale what would become the standard for chiropractic health care and wellness. Healthsource Chiropractic offers patients ‘progressive rehabilitation’ by providing physical therapy and chiropractic services together as a comprehensive solution for pain relief.
Healthsource Chiropractic® franchisees can own one or multiple units or territories encompassing entire towns, counties or large metropolitan areas. Note that the company’s technology-driven business systems, proven staffing structure, clinic design and leadership training allow franchisees to own productive businesses and live very happy lives.
Company leaders teach franchisees how to control the demands of their growing business so they can enjoy financial rewards as well as family and personal time.
Healthsource Chiropractic® stresses total body care and outcome-evidenced based wellness, providing patients “progressive rehabilitation” with both physical therapy and chiropractic services together as a comprehensive solution for pain relief.
It is believed that problems in the neck and spine are often aggravated by other health issues. So, Healthsource clinics often perform a baseline blood analysis at the start to measure inflammation and stress in the body. Also note that the clinics measure patients’ blood markers all through the treatment so the result is a patient who leads a healthy and functioning pain-free life.
Financial Requirements of Opening a Healthsource Chiropractic and Progressive Rehab Franchise
Below is a detailed estimate of Healthsource Chiropractic franchise based on item 7 of the company’s Franchise Disclosure Document.
Table of Content
- 1. Initial Franchise Fee: $39,000
- 2. Security Deposits: $2,500 to $5,500
- 3. 3-Months’ Lease Rent: $2,700 to $9,000
- 4. Leasehold Improvements/Decorating Costs: $40,000 to $60,000
- 5. Signage: $500 to $4,000
- 6. Physical Therapy Equipment: $0 to $6,000
- 7. Chiropractic Equipment: $3,600 to $5,000
- 8. Diagnostic Equipment: $25,000 to $30,000
- 9. Miscellaneous Supplies and Equipment: $4,000 to $12,400
- 10. Furnishings: $2,500 to $7,000
- 11. Computer, Supplies, and Installation: $500 to $2,000
- 12. 3 Months’ Billing Software Lease: $1,794 to $2,500
1. Initial Franchise Fee: $39,000
- In some situations, Healthsource may permit you to make alternate arrangements for the payment of the Initial Franchise Fee, either (i) in instalments over time paid to Healthsource either directly or through a third party payment facilitator, or (ii) by paying Healthsource a non-refundable deposit to reserve your Protected Territory for a stated period of time.
- Note that if you are approved to make instalment payments through a third party facilitator, you may pay the Initial Franchise Fee in instalments up to 75% of the Initial Franchisee Fee and Healthsource will not charge you any interest fees but the third party facilitator will.
- Also if you are approved to make instalment payments directly to Healthsource, you may pay the Initial Franchise Fee in instalments up to 75% of the Initial Franchisee Fee (Healthsource requires you to pay 25% of the Initial Franchise Fee upon signing of the instalment payment amendment) and Healthsource will not charge you interest unless you are in default, at which time it will charge you interest on any unpaid portion of the Initial Franchise Fee at the rate of 15% per annum, or, if less, the highest commercial contract interest rate permitted by law.
2. Security Deposits: $2,500 to $5,500
- This estimate includes security deposits required by the landlord and utility companies, but not your telecommunications service.
3. 3-Months’ Lease Rent: $2,700 to $9,000
- Note that this estimate includes 3 months’ rent at a rate of approximately $0.75 per square foot to $1.25 per square foot per month. Your actual rent payments may vary, depending upon your location and your market’s retail lease rates.
- The franchisor estimates, but does not mandate, that every Clinic will be 1,200 to 2,400 square feet in size. It anticipates that Healthsource Chiropractic Clinics typically will be located in high-traffic strip malls.
- If you acquire instead of lease the premises for your Clinic, then the purchase price, down payment, interest rates, and other financing terms will determine the amount of your monthly mortgage payments.
4. Leasehold Improvements/Decorating Costs: $40,000 to $60,000
- Remember this estimate does not include any construction allowances that may be offered by your landlord. Building and construction costs will vary depending upon the condition of the premises for the Clinic, the size of the premises, and local construction cost.
5. Signage: $500 to $4,000
These estimates entails you acquire your signage. The type and size of the signage you actually install will be based upon the zoning and property use requirements and restrictions. There could be situations where signage is not permitted because of zoning or use restrictions.
6. Physical Therapy Equipment: $0 to $6,000
- Note that this estimate includes your purchase of various bands, tubes, free weights, and balls.
7. Chiropractic Equipment: $3,600 to $5,000
- This estimate is for chiropractic tables and equipment.
8. Diagnostic Equipment: $25,000 to $30,000
This is for an X-ray machine for diagnostic purposes, and this estimate assumes you acquire a new machine. You may purchase or lease a new or used device.
9. Miscellaneous Supplies and Equipment: $4,000 to $12,400
This includes various exercise straps, pads, paper products, file folders, and miscellaneous supplies.
10. Furnishings: $2,500 to $7,000
This includes workstations and chairs, shelving, and other retail items.
11. Computer, Supplies, and Installation: $500 to $2,000
This includes the cost of obtaining Healthsource’s required computer and billing system.
12. 3 Months’ Billing Software Lease: $1,794 to $2,500
- This includes 3 months’ lease and maintenance fees for Healthsource’s required computer and billing system.
- Note that this low estimate is based on the usual monthly fee charged by Phunkey, Inc. in the amount of $598 per month. The higher estimate is based on whether you decide to use optional products or services from Phunkey, Inc.
- These amounts may include up to 5 seats and is subject to the number of claims processed and other services provided by Phunkey.
- Note that this estimate does not include fees Healthsource will charge you if your franchise is not “live” on the software system within two months post training. If you are not “live” on the software system within two months of training, a $500 per month fee will be assessed. After month six, the fee will increase to $1,000 per month starting month seven.
- Business Licenses and Permits: $100 to $500
- Professional Fees (including project management): $250 to $5,000
- Initial Inventory: $500 to $1,000
- This estimate encompasses supplements, pillows, supports, and braces.
- Insurance: $1,000 to $3,700
- You are expected to obtain and maintain, at your own expense, the insurance coverage that Healthsource periodically requires (including, but not limited to, comprehensive commercial general liability and motor vehicle insurance, worker’s compensation and employer’s liability insurance, professional liability (malpractice) insurance, and any other insurance required by applicable law, rule, regulation, ordinance, or licensing requirement), and satisfy other insurance-related obligations.
- Initial Training Expenses: $1,000 to $4,000
This includes the travel and living expenses, including airfare that you will incur when you and your employees attend the initial training program for Clinics. Note that it does not include any wages or salary for you or your employees during this training.
- Telecommunications Services: $200 to $2,500
This includes the security deposits and service fees for your telecommunications system, and telephone directory advertising fees.
- 60-Day Marketing Plan: $5,000
- Additional Funds – 3 Months: $15,000 to $45,000
Note that this estimate includes your initial start-up expenses (other than the items identified separately in the table) during the Clinic’s first 3 months of operation. These expenses include payroll costs during the Clinic’s operation, but not any draw or salary for you.
- Total Estimated Initial Investment: $145,144 to $249,100
How to Open a Healthsource Chiropractic and Progressive Rehab Franchise in the United States
It’s one thing to be a great chiropractor, and another thing to be a good business person. What Healthsource does is combine the two. So, if you are interested in this franchise, here are steps to take;
- Research the Industry. Review the company’s brochures and evaluate your interest in participating in the medical industry. Determine what will be your personal job description. Are you sure you’re suited to that type of work, 40, 50 or 60 hours per week?
- Submit an Application or Qualification Sheet. Just like every other franchise, Healthsource Chiropractic also wants to understand your interests better before they advance much further. While this doesn’t bind either party, it will prove your desire to be evaluated for franchise ownership.
- Review Disclosure Documents. The government asks each franchisor to prepare these documents (usually 100+ pages) so that you can get a complete understanding of the offering.
- Have Questions for the Franchisor. The marketing representative will be happy to share additional information with you to help you reach the right decision.
- Call or Visit Existing Franchisees. Note that these owners were on the same path you’re now walking a year or two ago. A lot of them will be very helpful in discussing the viability of the industry and the franchisor.
- Meet the Franchisor. So many people feel best with a face to face meeting with the decision makers of the franchisor. Evaluate their sincerity. You’re not going to marry them–but it is mighty close. Ask them pointed questions about franchisees that failed.
- Pick a Potential Site. Indeed you may want to explore sites that seem suitable for your venture, understanding that the franchisor will have the right to OK or disapprove your choice before a lease is signed. If your site is necessary to your success, be sure to obtain demographic studies and compare these with outstanding existing franchisees.
- Execute the Franchise Agreement. Two weeks must elapse between the date you receive your disclosure documents and the date you sign the Franchise License. Remember, do not let anyone rush you–but begin making critical decisions in a timely manner–a critical skill for an entrepreneur.
- Attend Training. The franchisor’s school will be your next step in joining the network. Go rested, with an open mind. Absorb and make the commitment to follow their plan–You paid for it, now, use it!
- Grand Opening. When you return home, you’ll be set to equip your operation, hire and train your staff and open for business. At this point your future is growing brighter because the person with the most to gain is in control.
More and more people are looking to go to fewer places to receive the health and wellness treatments they want, which is why Healthsource provides a lot more than just basic chiropractic treatments to all clients. It encourages clients to look at the bigger picture of their health.