Do you want to start a sex toy store business franchise but lack ideas? If YES, here are 20 best sex toy shop franchise opportunities for sale and their cost.
The sale of sex toys (also known as marital aids and pleasure products) in time past was seen as something indecent that should only be sold in grimy industrial areas, shady adult shops or truck stops. However, in recent times, the industry has received more mainstream acceptance. Despite their intended purpose, sex toys aren’t really that provocative anymore and have evolved to become an almost mainstream appliance that can be purchased at your local drug store.
The success of sex toys can be seen clearly in its sales figures. In 2011, the sex toy industry raked in $15 billion worldwide and about $1.3 billion in the United States of America.
What is a Franchise?
A franchise basically involves a party (known as the franchisor) granting another individual (known as a franchisee) the permission to make use of its name and trade mark, according to an identified system, usually within a territory or at a location, for an agreed upon term. The franchisee is granted a franchise license to use the franchise company’s trademarks, systems, signage, software, and other proprietary tools and systems in accordance with the guidelines in the franchise contract.
Going for a franchise business model allows business owners to grow their businesses without having to spend substantial amounts of their own money to build new units. In this vein, the risk that is associated with establishing and running a new business will be transferred to the franchisee that is responsible for coming up with the initial capital.
For new entrepreneurs who have very little business experience, franchising gives them a successful business model to follow, which can relieve some of the uncertainty associated with starting a business venture from scratch. The franchisee will have to not only abide by the franchise contract and run their business according to the operations manuals, but, they will also have to pay an upfront franchise fee (license fee), and ongoing royalties.
The income a franchise owner can get after Franchise may vary on factors like location, size et al. On the other hand, as a business owner, your goals will be to maintain the quality of service while keeping sales high and expenses low. As any other franchise, it may include rent/mortgage, staffing/family, inventory supplies, utilities, administrative costs et al.
Most franchises startup costs are typically fixed and they will cover most of the initial operating costs like signage, furniture, decoration and renovations. Today, there are many established sex toy businesses who are willing to franchise their business to others. Here are 20 of them.
20 Best Sex Toy Franchise Business Opportunities for Sale and Their Cost
1. Babeland: Babeland store was started in 1993 by Claire Cavanah and Rachel Venning in order to provide a women friendly sex shop in the state of Seattle since at that time there was none in existence.
The store offers top-quality products, a pleasant place to shop, and most of all information and encouragement to women who wanted to explore their sexuality. The store’s popularity with both women and men has led many entrepreneurs to buy into their success by the way of franchise.
2. Entice: Entice opened shop in the year 2006 and has grown today to become the largest sex retail store in the state of Georgia. The business offers a wide variety of sex toys and the business is open for franchising.
3. Fairvilla: when this business started, it was known as the Fairvilla Twin Cinema, however, the business has long evolved to become an adult store and offers a wide variety of lingerie, sex toys and gifts for sale. But it wasn’t just the products that let Fairvilla thrive and eventually expand to other locations:
Owners Bill and Shari Murphy wanted a store designed to accommodate couples, so they made Fairvilla a welcoming place where women, couples, and basically everyone could feel safe while enjoying high-quality goods and impeccable service.
4. Good Vibrations: this store was opened in the year 1977 by Joani Blank in response to the lack of resources for women seeking accurate sex information and quality sex toys. This bold move was greatly appreciated by both men and women alike. The store flourished over the years, thanks to a faithful clientele.
Today, Good Vibrations is the premier retailer trusted for more than three decades to provide quality products, education, and information that promotes sexual health, pleasure and empowerment. The sex-positive retailer invented the concept of the clean, well-lighted place to shop for sex toys, books and movies and entrepreneurs are free to key in with their success by entering into a franchise with them.
5. GoodVibes: this brand is well known for its quality luxury fashion and sex toy brand. It is a small chain with three solid gold links—in New York’s SoHo district, Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles, and the MGM CityCenter in Las Vegas and is on the lookout for expansion through franchising.
6. The Pleasure Chest: The Pleasure Chest opened its doors in the year 1971 in New York during the time when people were beginning to express their sexuality more openly. The store caters for the sex toy needs of all genders and sexual orientations and is also well known for its well-trained sales staff and attractive, bright environs.
7. Pleasures: pleasures was funded in June of 1993 by Sherri Williams with a intention to offer couples in Alabama a comfortable and inviting place to purchase intimate accessories. In trying to achieve this goal, she made a name in the industry for waging war for more than a decade against the state of Alabama for the right to sell sex toys.
8. Smitten Kitten: Founded in 2003, the Smitten Kitten has become a multiple award-winning institution in the Twin Cities and a destination for folks from the entire upper Midwest and Central Canada.
When this sex stop started, its main selling point was that it was the first non-toxic sex toy shop. The business has since expanded to the state of Denver. The stores offer high-quality sex toys and equipment for people of all genders and sexual orientations, including handmade and one-of-a-kind items.
9. Adultmart: Adultmart is an adult store that has a large inventory of adult and non-adult merchandise, covering everything from adult DVDs and erotic sex toys to massage oils and party gifts for bachelor and bachelorette parties. The stores themselves offer a clean, comfortable shopping experience for men, women and couples, and knowledgeable and friendly staff to help shoppers find exactly what they are looking for.
10. Cirilla’s: this sex toy shop opened in 1992 and has since evolved to become a formidable force in the adult retail force in parts of the Midwest and the South, with almost 60 retail locations in the following states: Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio and Tennessee. You can always get a franchise license from them if you would want to own one of their stores.
11. Déjà vu Love Boutique: These boutique-style stores differentiate themselves in that they are tied in with the Déjà vu Showgirls clubs. Primarily stocking lingerie, club wear and dance wear, they also offer a wide variety of sex aids and toys. This shop is open in many states in America with most of their locations being franchises.
12. Fascinations: fascinations has 16 stores scattered across Arizona and Colorado where it provides couples and individuals with an enjoyable, upscale and courteous atmosphere in which to shop, learn and inquire.
13. Hustler Hollywood: hustler Hollywood started in 1998 in Los Angeles and since then, it has expanded to 10 other locations across the United States, and is still available to entrepreneurs who would like to start a franchise with them. In addition to sex toys, hustler Hollywood also offers a substantial array of non-adult products, such as apparel, jewelry, lingerie and candles for sale.
14. Lion’s Den: this adult shop started in the year 1971 in Columbus, Ohio and has since then expanded to over 40 other location across the United States of America of which a lot of them are franchises. In addition to sex toys, they also sell adult videos, periodicals, novelties, and intimate apparel.
15. Peekay: this adult store was founded by Phyllis Heppenstall and her daughter Kris Butt in the 1980’s with just $600. The business has since expanded to over 30 locations with some of them operating under monikers such as Lovers, ConRev and A Touch of Romance. The retail stores promote a fun, safe and comfortable shopping environment in well-merchandised, warm and inviting boutique storefronts.
16. Romantix: This huge retailer of adult merchandise stocks a blend of adult toys, DVDs, lotions and lubes, apparel and other pleasure products in more than 50 stores across the United States of which a lot of them are franchises.
17. Stag Shop: The Horea family started the Stag Shop in Waterloo, Ontario, in 1972, offering a range of gag gifts, novelties and sexual aids. The Horeas are still evolving, but much has changed: More than a dozen stores are spread across Canada and the product mix is more upscale.
18. Eve’s Garden: this store opened shop in the year 1974 by women’s rights activist Dell Williams, the store seeks to cater for female consumers seeking to “expand and celebrate her sexuality.” You can buy a franchise license from the parent company and start your very own store.
19. Early To Bed: Founded a decade ago on Chicago’s north side to fill a “dire need for a place where women (and people of all genders) could shop for quality sex toys,” Early to Bed sets shoppers at ease by allowing them to examine “testers,” including lubricants and body treats.
The store provides other ways to get familiar with the goods: four different types of pleasure events, ranging from small parties at clients’ homes to in-store benefits where participants can earn 10 percent of sales made for pet causes.
20. Adam and eve: Adam and Eve is a big name in the sex toy business in the United States with over 40 years experience. They further popularized their adult store in 2009 with the launch of the Adam and Eve store franchise. Overtime, the store has built an atmosphere that is female and couple friendly with a major focus on sexual health. The company focuses on specialty retail locations in strip malls and other shopping areas.
Despite having to fight city by city to get stores built, Adam and Eve has opened 53 units in 24 states, with up to 400 more coming in the next 10 years. It is estimated that in other to open an Adam and Eve store, you ought to have from $149,000-$345,000. There is an initial franchise fee of $30,000 which grants you the license to run a business under the Adam & Eve Store name.