Do you want to start a tutoring business but you want to go niche and be unique? If YES, here are 50 best tutoring related business ideas & opportunities for 2020.
Staring your own tutoring business gives you a way to use your education, skill, experience and knowledge to provide a one-on-one help to students in various disciplines. When it comes to tutoring, there are a lot of niches you can explore. From providing remedial tutoring, offering instruction that helps a child stay on top of current coursework, teaching a skill or craft to helping gifted students learn advanced subject material etc.
Forbes recently reported that industry analysts predict that the worldwide private tutoring market will exceed $102.8 billion by the end 2018. The united states, Europe, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and China comprise 90 percent of that market.
In 2011, the U.S. government spent $134 million on private tutoring programs to fill the gap left by school budget cuts. This just goes to show that there is a lot of money to be made in the tutoring business and other such businesses.
The tutoring business is ideal for current, former teachers or someone who is very knowledgeable of a skill, craft, trade or topic. In order to succeed in your tutoring business, you will have to be a people person. This is because most of the business involves a direct face to face interaction with your clients, their sponsors and potential clients.
Finally, it helps to be organized and self-motivated because conducting tutoring service as a full-scale business means managing many contacts, reaching out to local schools and individuals, and making sure you have enough time during each session for your various clients. If you intend to start a tutoring business, you should have the following skills:
- The ability to clearly communicate concepts to students on their level in a variety of ways
- the flexibility to figure out which learning method bests match each student’s learning style
- Assessment of student needs, curriculum planning and design, progress monitoring and learning assessments
- The ability to relate well with students of your target population;
- Scheduling, public relations and marketing, business operations, including HR, payroll, taxes and accounting.
In order to startup your tutoring business, you should have basic office supplies, bookkeeping materials, one or more qualified tutors, curriculum, learning materials (books, games, tools et al.), meeting space, students in need of knowledge, reliable transportation etc. Here are 50 best tutoring related business ideas.
50 Best Tutoring Related Business ideas for 2020
1. Become an online tutor: do you have a skill that others might want to learn? Then you should consider becoming an online tutor. The internet is home to a wide range of tutoring options, where you can teach someone who lives across the world, all from the comfort of your own home.
Once you’ve built a free online tutor profile, eager student can connect with you over the web. Lessons are often conducted through a program like Skype or FaceTime, and hourly rates generally hover between 12 dollars to 35 dollars and sometimes you can even charge higher.
If you have a busy schedule, you can set the days and times that you will not be available so that you will not leave your clients stranded. Online tutoring is a very good business that you can use to make some money on the side while still being able to build a relationship with others through a one on one session. Websites like Chegg Tutors, Tutor.com, VerbalPlanet et al are a good starting point for people who would want to start this type of business.
No matter your background, you will most probably possess a skill that someone, somewhere will be very willing and eager to learn.
2. Build an online course: if you are not a fan of face to face tutoring, then you should consider creating an online course to teach other people that special skill that you have.
You will just need to create the online course once, and after that, people can sign up and take it at any time without you being available to meet with them. This can create a passive income funnel for you in the sense that you can make your money without you presence being needed. The money flows in and minimal work is required to maintain it.
Websites like Udemy allows you to build a course in any area you want, whether it’s teaching concepts of a foreign language, how to paint a room, or prepare for a job interview. In order to be successful in this platform, you will have to take your time to create a quality course that will provide genuine benefit to enrollees. The more detail you provide on your subject matter, the better.
You can create an online course that last from 30 minutes to a couple of hours. The average income for those on Udemy ranges from $6,000 to $7,000 though it can be higher. To increase your earnings, promote your course on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
3. Touch-Typing and 10-Key tutoring: Learning touch-typing or 10-key can improve accuracy when drafting documents and speed up productivity; skills that many employers consider major assets. Typing is necessary for data entry jobs, administrative jobs and writing jobs. In addition to data entry jobs, cashier jobs and similar roles typically require 10-key skills. If you are skilled in touch typing then you can offer to teach other either physically, online or via courses to make some money.
4. Computer Programming: also known as coding is the process of creating software. These software are sets of instruction which are written down for the computer to perform. Computer programming also involves activities such as analysis, developing understanding, generating algorithms, and verification of requirements including correctness and resources consumption and implementation of algorithms in a target programming language.
In recent times, the relevance of computer programming has been on a steady increase. It is needed to get entry-level jobs in information technology, such as roles related to website or software development or database management and a lot of other jobs.
However, it goes without saying that learning computer programming isn’t a walk in the park. If you are a skilled programmer with knowledge of basic HTLM, CSS, PHP, JS, jQuery et al, you can offer to teach other people what you know and get paid along the way.
5. Public Speaking: for some people, speaking in public comes to them naturally. However for some others, the find themselves grasping for the rights words to get what they have in mind across to others when they are called to speak in public.
Taking a public speaking course and learning how to communicate effectively can enrich ones career, especially if you’re seeking leadership or motivational speaking roles. If you have the flair for public speaking, you can teach others how to do it for a fee.
6. Driving: you can offer to tutor people who do not know how to drive, can only drive automatic vehicles or people who want to learn how to drive large construction vehicles and charge them an hourly fee.
7. A Second Language: Learning a second language not only can help you establish relationships with clients who don’t speak English but also can make you a viable candidate for jobs that require international travel — from sales and business development to training and leading others on tours.
You can also use this skill for call center jobs, telephone or online sales jobs, and customer service jobs with employers who need bilingual employees. However, there is no denying that it is easier to learn language as a kid, but still a dedicated adult can learn a language which he or she put his mind to. If you know how to speak more than one language, you can offer to teach other people this very crucial skill.
8. Private Tutoring: people usually look to hire private tutors for their kids so as to help them improve their grades in school. The services of a private tutor may also be needed by people who want to seat for an exam such as GRE, IELTS, SAT et al. If you are a teacher or you are skilled in a particular subject area, you could look for people who are willing to hire private tutors and offer your services to such people.
Private tutors charge about 50 dollars and above depending on the type of clients they are working with, the subject area, and volume of syllabus to be covered, et al.
9. Business tutor: if you been successful in any business, you can offer to reveal to others your secret tips and tricks of success for a fee. This type of tutelage is popular in the Online business circle, where successful freelancers, marketers, affiliate marketers, et al offer to teach others how they become successful.
10. Firearm Handling: Learning how to use a firearm properly can help you get a job as an armed security guard, border patrol agent, corrections officer, bodyguard or law enforcement officer. You can teach people how to handle various firearms or improve their aim for a fee.
11. Yoga tutorial: If you’re a passionate yogi who wants to teach others how to do yoga safely and regularly, you could consider training as a yoga teacher. In today’s world, a lot of people are faced with the challenge of a very tight schedule, which leaves them with little or no time to relax and unwind.
You can start a yoga class to take care of this issue. Here, you will tutor and instruct people on deep breathing relaxation techniques and other various techniques that are aimed at exercising the body and reducing stress. You may have to accommodate people with different work schedules, so you will need to be flexible with the hours of your session.
12. Sport Coaching: Learning coaching techniques can help you snag a coaching job at private or public schools, camps, city or state recreation programs, or private sporting organizations where you can tutor people on the techniques that are to be used in any particular sport to get to best results.
13. Cooking tutorials: cooking is not just a skill that is limited to the kitchen in your house. It can also lead to a successful full time job or a side hustle. If you are a caterer, you can extend your services to include tutoring prospective cooks on how to prepare various dishes.
14. Photography: snapping pictures is easy right? I mean how difficult can it be; you just point you camera at a particular point and click away. Well, taking photographs that someone will be willing to pay for is not that easy. If you are skilled in the art of photography, you can take on students who you will tutor on how to choose a camera, the basics of photography, photo composition, exposure in the camera, how to create the appropriate lightening for you photos and eve editing photos in Photoshop.
15. Tailoring, Dressmaking and Clothing Design: all over the world, the demand for self-made clothes is constantly on the increase. A lot of people want designs that are tailor-made for them according to their own specifications. Tailors also help to alter and repair clothing so that they can be a better fit for the wearer. If you are into tailoring, dressmaking and clothing design, you can teach other people how you make cloths for a fee.
16. Video Editing and Production: Learning video editing and production can open the door to opportunities with marketing and promotional companies or help you land entry-level work in television and video editing. You can be tutored by a professional in order to get the skills you need.
17. Singing tutoring: Whether you’re an amateur or intermediate singer, singing lessons can improve your pitch, breathing and ultimately help you sing better, and maybe help you land part-time singing gigs or acting roles. If you are experienced in singing, you can offer this service to your clients.
18. Playing a music instruments: if you can play a piano, saxophone, violin or any other instrument, you can share this knowledge by being a music teacher which will help you to generate extra income.
19. Carpentry and Basic Construction Skills: If you have a construction background, you can tutor people on specific carpentry skills which can help them go into home remodeling or handyman work. You can also teach about bathroom and kitchen remodeling, flooring and other in-demand carpentry skills in order to command a higher fee.
20. Computer repairs: as far back as 2010, 81% of American households already had either a laptop, desktop or handheld computer. Today, the percentage has gone up a lot more. With continual use, it is unavoidable that these gadgets will eventually breakdown and will thus require repair. This is where the services of a computer repair technician comes in. As a computer technician you can tutor others to become like you.
21. Cosmetology and Hair styling: If you’re thinking about a career in cosmetology, a beauty program will prepare you to work in salons and barbershops. As a cosmetologist or if you are well versed in plaiting, cutting or general hair maintenance, you can offer to teach upcoming stylists.
22. Mechanic: All over the world, car repairs is one business that never goes into extinction. This is because daily, fleets of cars are being added to the garages of people and so whether it is a brand new car or a fairly used one, you can be sure that sometime in the future, a car repair would be inevitable.
However, there are always mechanics available to put them back in order. Mechanics make about $30,000 to $50,000 annually and as such a lot of people are willing to pursue this career path. As a mechanic, you can tutor people on how to repair cars.
23. Electrician Skills: Electricians are responsible for installing and maintaining electrical systems. If you are an electrician yourself, you can teach others this skill.
24. Self-defense: many women see the need of being proficient in self-defense so as to protect themselves from rapist, robbers and other types of assailants. Self-defense involves tutoring your students on the use of physical force to counter an immediate threat of violence. If you own a martial art school or a dojo, you can expand your service to include self-defense classes. Also, this type of business may be suitable for people who are skilled in karate, taekwondo et al.
25. Writing tutorials: preparing material for print such as text books and novels or maintaining an online presence through a blog takes impeccable writing skills. If you know the rudiments of writing and how to create engaging pieces that are interesting to read, you can teach others the skill.
26. Advanced excel skills: these days, Microsoft excel is used in a lot of offices across the world to manage and review data. If you have this skill, you can create an online course or it or offer to teach people online.
27. Pet care: there is a whole lot more involved in pet care than just feeding, walking and grooming them. For people interested in honing their skills or breaking into this career, you can offer to teach them all they need to know about pet care.
28. Web development: creation of websites and blogs is in very high demand. As a web developer, you can help people create, maintain and edit websites. You can also tutor people on how to develop websites.
29. Graphic design: graphic designers are always needed by business owners to help them to craft logos, banner, flyers, book cover and similar products for payment. If you are an accomplished graphics designer, you can teach others this skill either online or offline.
30. Search engine optimization: this involves improving the visibility of websites and making them rank higher when certain keywords are searched. A lot of websites and blogs are in need of this service and are willing to pay so that their websites can be optimized. If you have this skill, you can tutor others in SEO so that they can become as proficient as you.
31. Herb farming: gardening is not just relaxing; it can also be a potential money spinner if well harnessed. With the growing interesting herbal remedies and organic foods, a farmer can find plenty of customers who are willing to learn how to grow herbs by themselves especially in urban areas. Granted, farming needs space but because herbs are usually small plants, a little space will go a long way.
32. Personal trainer: if you enjoy working out and sharing knowledge that has worked for you in body building and fitness, you can offer your service as a personal trainer. You can arrange for your clients to meet with you in your personal gym at home, at their homes or at a local gym.
33. Bicycle repairer: if you love bicycles and also have a knack for fixing them when they are bad, you can offer bicycle repairs as well offer to teach people who may be interested in bicycle repairs.
34. Resume writing: considering that the rejection rate of resumes is very high, it only makes sense that the service of a resume writer is quite is often needed. When writing a resume it should be clear, engaging and professional and also stands out from the rest. While also being persuasive, creative and formatted correctly to be able to result in an interview invite and subsequently a job. A lot of job seekers will like to have this skill so you can always offer to teach them
35. Lawn management and care: There is a big difference between mowing a lawn and performing a full landscaping service. Landscape designers design elaborate and unique landscape changes for their clients’ property. If you are already into lawn management and care, you can extend your services to include training of anyone who may be interested in lawn care and management.
36. Event planning tutorials: if you have strong planning and organizational skills, then you can in addition to offering your services as an event planner, also become a tutor to people who want to start their very own event management business.
Event planning does not require any special degree or certification and as such you can easily teach others this skill without any form of restriction. The united states government has projected that there will be a 40 percent growth by the year 2020 in event planning.
37. Blogging/Vlogging: due to the tremendous amount of people who use and rely on the internet on a daily basis, blogging has become a very profitable business. It only costs a couple of dollars to get started. However, some people do not know where to start. If you are experienced in blogging or vlogging, you can teach other people how to set up their blog, create quality content and rank it with basic knowledge of SEO.
38. Art: if you are an accomplished artist and you feel very comfortable with your medium, you will find out that people will want you to teach them. Teaching art is a very nice way to keep yourself in art supplies and also get creative idea for your students.
39. Microbrewery: A microbrewery or craft brewery as it is called in some quarters is a brewery (plant) that produces a small amount of beer per time; it is indeed a small scale brewery that can’t be compared to the conventional brewery plants and it is usually owned independently.
In order words, any entrepreneur that has some cash and brewing technique can comfortably start his or her own microbrewery business. Generally, the selling point of a microbrewery is their emphasis on their unique flavor, the quality of their beer and their brewing technique. If you own a microbrewery, you can teach others how they can set up a brewery and brew their own beer.
40. Poultry: poultry and its products constitute a staple food for Americans. poultry farming in the United States is usually done on a large scale where big corporations are contacted for sale of the birds and their products even before maturity.
Return on investment (ROI) of commercial poultry is high and in a short time, the initial investment can be recouped and further profit generated. However, is can still be practiced on a small or medium scale. If you have a poultry farm, you can teach other prospective poultry farmers how to properly care for their birds to get the maximum yield and profit.
41. Interior decoration: as an interior decorator, it is expected that you should have a flair for decorations and matching colors. You can go ahead to teach people all about interior decoration and charge them for it.
42. Software training: if you are skilled and proficient on the use of certain specialized software packages such as Adobe Photoshop, Auto CAD, coral draw among others, then you can monetize this skill by teaching what you know to others in need of the skill.
Granted, in recent time, this type of knowledge can be gotten for free on the internet, but the truth still remains that it is easier to fully grasp the concepts in a one on one training with a specialist. With the increasing demand for IT knowledge, and people in need of such knowledge, this will be a quite profitable tutoring business to delve into.
43. Fishing: Fishes are also rich in protein and some sea foods are a good source of oil. Water bodies in the United States are home to a lot of sea food like fish (saltwater game fish like flounder, tarpon, shrimp oysters; fresh water fish like trout, bass, catfish) and sea vegetables like sea weed etc. If you are into fishing, you can teach other how to catch a fish.
44. Affiliate marketing tutorials: This involves the marketing of other people’s or company’s products on your website, while you get a commission when someone makes a purchase through your advert link. A lot of people delve into affiliate marketing on a yearly basis but most end up wasting their time with nothing to show for it. If you are an accomplished affiliate marketer, you can tutor others who may be interested in this sort of business.
45. Pilates instructor: Pilates is a type of exercise routine that focuses on strengthening your core muscles which include the muscles of your abdomen, back and torso, also known as your powerhouse. Working with a trained instructor provides you with a chance to lengthen and tone your body, increase your balance and improve your flexibility.
Instructing Pilates does not technically require special certification, but your licensing can greatly influence your salary. However, most professional facilities such as gyms or Pilates studios would not allow you to instruct clients without at least a certification in basic group fitness.
Higher degrees of licensing offered by organizations like the American Council on Exercise or American Fitness Professionals and Associates increase the odds of becoming employed, in addition to increasing your salary potential. Advanced certifications such as in weight management or personal training also increase earning possibilities.
46. Body building coaching: there are a lot of people who desire to become buff and muscular. If you have the skills that are necessary to motivate and tutor them, you can become a body building coach.
47. Knitting/Crocheting Lessons: there are a lot of people who would like to learn how to knit and crochet—and you can show them how! You could start with a class at your house or perhaps at a local knitting store. Maybe offer an entry level course at the local adult education program to get going.
48. DJ: if you are skilled at developing a playlist, mixing tracks and ultimately providing music at events then you offer to them others this skill for a fee.
49. Handcraft lessons: if you are skilled in a particular handcraft like say pottery, basket making, weaving fabrics, tatting, macramé among others, you can make money not just by selling your handcraft but by also teaching it to others for a fee. You can take up individual classes or opt to take on all your students at once.
50. App development: every day thousands of applications are developed and as such, there is almost an app for everything. If you know how to develop applications for either mobile phones or computers, you can teach others this skill for a fee.
In conclusion, when you start your tutorial related business, you will have to actively seek out customers by way of advertisement. You can create fliers and place them in strategic location around your community and you can also make use of the internet to promote your business. As your business grows, word of mouth will also help you to get more customers.
- 5 Tools and Equipment You Need to Become a Locksmith - October 29, 2020
- How Much It Cost to Dispose Hazardous Waste Per Ton - October 29, 2020
- How to Be an Effective Manager – 37 Tips to Help You - October 29, 2020