Are you tired of your job and want a secured job with good pay and free time? If YES, here are 50 best high paying career change ideas at age 40 to 50 in 2019.
At a certain point in life, a lot of people often question themselves and the life choices they have made. They may ask- “is this all there is to life?” “Is this where I would stay for the rest of my life?” “Is this career really giving me the fulfillment I need? And oftentimes these questions can lead an individual to question the career path he or she has chosen and it could also lead the individual to seek a change in their current career.
Why Change your Career at Late Life (Age 40 to 50)?
According to a survey that was carried out in 2014 to determine the rate of job satisfaction in the United States of America, it was found that over half of the working population are dissatisfied with their current jobs.
While younger workers are more likely to take the leap of faith and leave their jobs for another one, a lot of people over 40 have a feeling that they cannot leave their jobs and therefore have to stick with it till retirement. The common misconception that exists among a lot of people is that at a particular age, it is too late to leave a career. This is however very far from the truth.
The truth still remains that it is not easy to let go of a career or a position in a company or something that you are doing at the moment even if it is not fulfilling because not only are you used to it, it also provides comfort for you. But deep down, if you are not fulfilled and you are not growing in your field the way you would want, then the thought of a career change will always be in your mind.
When you ask a lot of senior citizens, their greatest regrets are not usually what they did, but what they did not do, risks they did not take and opportunities that they let pass by. Furthermore, studies have found that about 80 percent of people who are over the age of 40 consider changing their careers but only about 6 percent actually go ahead and make the change.
Before you finally commit to making a late life career change, you will first have to discover what is important to you. That is, if you had the chance to choose the career that you would spend your time, energy and resources on, what would it be? When you find that out, go for it.
Granted, money is very important because it will help you to afford the basic necessities of life and other accompanying luxuries that make life enjoyable, yet, it isn’t everything. Personal joy and satisfaction trumps having a well-paying job that you hate every minute of.
People who are over 40 years of age have the ability to use their wealth of experience to better any career path that they may choose to follow. Also a new career can offer a new challenge that can free them from the rut associated with their former jobs. In addition, they can also learn a lot of new things from their new career.
A career change can involve choosing a new career that is somewhat similar to their former career or something that is totally different. Here are 50 late life career change ideas that can greatly benefit people who are over the age of 40 or 50.
50 Best High Paying Career Change ideas at Age 40 – 50 in 2019
1. Content marketing writer: a lot of companies are in need of qualified and effective individuals who can promote their business and product on social media. Content marketing writers help to design, edit and manage digital communication materials.
They work hand in hand with marketing staff to ensure that the entire marketing process is very successful. Content marketing writing can be done from any location and as such it offers flexibility for anyone who delves into it. With a background in marketing or writing, you can easily make a switch to content marketing writing.
2. Tutor: private tutors offer tutoring to individuals outside the classrooms. This service is highly in demand because a lot of parent would want to augment what their wards are being taught in the school. You can schedule the tutoring sections in such a way as to suit you. Tutoring does not require the rigorous training that teachers have to go through in order to become certified. You can easily switch from a classroom teacher to a tutor. On average, tutors earn about $52,400 per annum.
3. Technical writer: technical writing simply involves making the complicated easy to comprehend. Technical writers are skilled writers who are able to make technical and difficult to understand instructions easy. The services of technical writers are required when writing manuals. Technical writers are also needed in fields such as engineering, technology and science.
As a freelance technical writer, you can set your work hours and also set the amount of workload you are willing to undertake at any given time. To make the switch to technical writing, you will need to have solid writing skills. Also an experience or background in a technical field will also be needed so as to become an effective technical writer. Technical writers earn an average of $68,100 on a yearly basis.
4. Sales demonstrators: sales demonstrators are people who help to get people interested in a product by showing how the product works and convincing people of the importance of a product to their lives. Their work may also include passing coupons or sample of the product. This service is usually needed in grocery stores, general merchandise and clothing stores. On an average, sales demonstrators earn about $12.19 per hour.
5. Messengers: messengers help to deliver documents and other such packages within offices or to other close by locations. The services of messengers are normally needed in office buildings, medical laboratories and in other courier services. On the average, messengers earn about $12.72 for every hour of work they put in.
6. Tailoring and garment making: all over the world, the demand for self-made cloths is constantly on the increase. A lot of people want designs that are tailor made for them according to their own specifications. Tailors also help to alter and repair clothing so that they can be a better fit for the wearer. Starting up as a tailor is also not too capital intensive. You will need a shop, a sewing and stitching machine and electricity to run the business effectively.
7. Security guard supervisor: most institutions, businesses and buildings employ security guards who are tasked with securing the facility, preventing theft, ensuring proper behavior, preventing destruction of their property and at times monitoring metal detectors.
A lot of institutions also employ security guard supervisors who in turn are tasked with hiring, managing and scheduling the guards for maximum productivity. Normally the supervisors are paid more than the security guards. The services of security guard supervisors are needed by security companies, hospitals, schools, business etc.
8. Public transport attendant: these set of people may work in bus, train, ships or airport terminals. They are normally tasked with the duties of greeting and welcoming passengers, answering their questions and assisting them so as to make their travel hitch free. Public transport terminal attendants earn an average of $11.24 per hour.
9. Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: people who are over 40 years of age can easily switch to transporting passengers in taxis, vans, limousines or even with their own personal car through the use of some ride sharing apps like Uber and Taxify. This service is needed by taxi and limousine services and car dealerships.
10. Translation and interpreter services: if you know more than one language, you can make some money by translating documents from English to other languages or vice versa or by interpreting spoken language for people who would need such a service. Even though there is a lot of translation software out there most of them pale in comparison to an actual human being that is skilled at this.
11. Patient advocate: in recent years, patient advocate has been fingered as a fast growing profitable career field. This is because the population of seniors is on the increase and they make use of medical services more often. The work of a patient advocate includes ensuring that a particular patient sees the appropriate doctor for his or her ailment.
You are to ensure that patients adhere to treating plans that the doctor has prescribed, and also making sure that the patient is making use of all available treatment options to better his or her aliment and educating the patient, family and caregiver on a patient’s condition. Patient advocates are usually affiliated to hospitals, rehab centers et al. but some are still self-employed.
12. Dietician: hospitals, clinics, companies and even retirement homes require the services of a dietician. They can help to do nutritional screenings and help in meal planning in these aforementioned organizations. Obesity is a big problem today and dieticians through their advice can help to curtail this scourge. Also, they help to educate people on what food that can harm them and what food fosters good health.
13. Fitness trainer: if you enjoy working out and sharing knowledge that has worked for you in body building and fitness, you can offer your service as a fitness trainer. As someone who over 40, you will be in a better position to come up with or design a workout plan for seniors that are between the ages of 65 to 90. The seniors will also be able to trust you easily as compared to someone who is much younger.
14. Independent contractor: also known as consultants, they are needed in a lot of fields and occupations. Normally, independent contractors are hired for a fixed amount of time to do a specific task for an organization. They are not employees of any organization and as such are free to jump from one project to the next. As an individual who is over 40, you can offer a lot of services as an independent contract and make your money. You will also get to be your own boss.
15. Massage therapist: the services of massage therapists are growing in demand. They are needed in spas, clinics and even hotels. Alternatively, you can turn a room in your house into a massage palour. In some states in America, you will need a license from the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Body Work. In addition to working from home, you can also go for house calls to improve your profit margin. Statistics has shown that massage therapists earn about $34,900 on an annual basis.
16. Guides: guides help to escort people through interesting places like museums, historical sites, natural attractions, art galleries et al. They also help to provide detailed insight into all these places as they are taking their clients around. Someone who is over 40 can easily key into this career as long as he has or can learn the prerequisite knowledge about those locations. The services of guides are needed by museums, historical sites, galleries et al.
17. Crossing guards: the services of crossing guards are usually needed near schools and construction sites, where they help to control pedestrian and vehicular movement. This service is mostly sought after by Local Governments and Schools. Crossing guards usually receive $23.14 per hour as wage.
18. Bridge tenders: these people are charged with operating bridges, canals and lighthouses so as to permit boats to pass through safely. The services of a bridge tender is mostly sought after by federal, state and the local government. Usually, they get paid an average of about $23.14 for every hour of work the put in.
19. Landscaping: Another thriving and profitable easy to start business that people who are over 40 can delve into is landscaping. Landscape architecture is all about the art, planning, designing, management, preservation and rehabilitation of the land and the design of a large man- made construction that beautifies the environment.
Any entrepreneur who intends starting his or her own landscaping business and making huge profits from it must be very creative and must be ready to go the extra mile to convince clients that he or she can deliver an excellent job and he or she must prove beyond every reasonable doubt that they are competent.
20. Accountant and financial manager: if you are good at accounting and bookkeeping, you can offer this service to businesses on a freelance basis. You can help to balance account, prepare payroll, taxes and other financial reports.
21. Personal financial adviser: another career change idea that is suitable for people who are in their 40’s or 50’s is to become a personal financial adviser. They are tasked with providing advice to people on matters such as insurance, mortgages, savings, estate planning, taxes and of course retirement. They help individuals to plan and manage their finances very effectively. Personal financial advisers help their clients to assess their financial situation and thus make wise investments.
22. Grant coordinator: this job entails finding and applying for grants for a company’s need. You can help to write and coordinate funding requests for a nonprofit organization, school or governmental agency. A lot of organizations are in dire need of grants to keep their organizations up and running. Thus as a consultant grant writer, you can help them with this service. On average grant coordinators earn about $47,800 on a yearly basis.
23. Energy field auditor: the work of an energy field auditor entails helping homeowners and businesses to cut their energy bills. These auditors are hired to help check a house or building for leaks and as such recommend improvements. They also help to recommend energy efficient technologies that can be used and educate customers on energy efficiency and to also answer questions on topics such as the cost of running various household appliances.
This job is quite flexible and as such an energy field auditor can fix his or her preferred working hours. Engineering knowledge is needed to make the switch to an energy field auditor but it is not too necessary. You can take a 6 week course to become a certified energy field auditor. On average, energy field auditors earn about $41,200 per annum.
24. SEO specialist: the internet is filled with millions of websites and one easy way that people get to find and visit these websites is through various search engines such as Google, Yahoo!, Bing et al. Due to the fact that there are a lot of websites in the internet, for a website to appear in the first page of a search engine, it has to optimized. This is the job of a search engine optimization (SEO) specialist.
A lot of websites now realize the importance of having a website that is SEO compliant, thus, this service is in high demand. The work of an SEO specialist is largely online based and as such it can be carried out from anywhere as long as there is a steady internet connection. Also their work hours are very flexible. You can learn to become an SEO specialist in a local community college around or online. On the average, an SEO specialist earns an average yearly salary of about $51,100.
25. Pilates or Yoga instructor: Pilates and yoga instructors help individuals to keep their mind, body and spirit healthy. They help to teach their students the various practices and positions that may be challenging yet safe and comfortable.
If you love practicing Pilates or yoga, you can share this love and knowledge with others. You can easily tailor your classes so as to suit your schedules. To become a Pilates or yoga instructor, it is advisable to get the necessary training and certificate so as to be well versed in the field and also to prevent injuries.
26. Marketing representative: a marketing representative is a person who is tasked with selling products or services on behalf of a business or a company. The marketing representative is able to accomplish his job by either going into the field to find new customers or by servicing the already existing customers so that they will continue being loyal to the product or brand.
The marketing representative serves as the face of the company or product and people will always associate them with the product or service they represent. To be a good marketing representative, you need to have an exhaustive knowledge of the product or service that you intend to market. You should also have the drive and enthusiasm that would enable you do your work effectively. On the average, marketing representatives earn about $52,500 per annum.
27. Medical assistant: medical assistant is fast becoming one of the hottest areas of health care that offers a lot of employment potential and an attractive remuneration. To become a medical assistant, you do not really need formal training, but there are certifications that are available for prospective medical assistants.
Medical assistants earn about $14 per hour and this could be even more depending on the location and the experience of the medical assistant. To become a medical assistant, you can get an unofficial on-the-job training, a campus training or an online training.
28. Personal care aide: a personal care aide, also known as a home health aide is tasked with helping patients with their daily needs. This may include feeding them, doing certain house chores, helping them walk, organizing schedules and going shopping for them. The duties that a personal care aide carries out differ from patient to patient. To become a personal care aide, you do not need any form of special training, you can always learn on the job.
29. Bookkeeper or secretary: the services of a book keeper or a secretary are always needed in almost all institutions. Someone who is above the age of 40 can easily cue into this career.
30. Tax preparer: if you are good at accounting and tax preparations, then this career change idea is for you. Alternatively, you can always get the necessary knowledge through a continuing education course. This is also a great career idea for people who only wish to work at a particular time of the year (January to April).
31. Event planning: if you have strong planning and organizational skills, then you can offer you services as an event planner. Event planning does not require any special degree or certification. The United States government has projected that there will be a 40 percent growth by the year 2020 in event planning.
32. Auto Repair Garage: Auto repair business is amongst the highly thriving, profitable and easy to setup auto services related business ideas that someone who is over 40 can key into. All over the world, car repair is one business that never goes into extinction.
This is because daily, fleets of cars are being added to the garages of people and so whether it is a brand new car or a fairly used one, you can be sure that sometime in the future car repair would be inevitable. As long as people use their cars and trucks regularly, there will always be reasons for them to visit an auto workshop if indeed they want these vehicles to continue to ply the roads.
This is because you can never rule out wear and tear when a machine is in use. People visit auto garages for different reasons; it could be for routine servicing, major repair works, or for refurbishing their cars. For whatever reasons; auto repair garage will always translate to money for the owner of the repair garage. To make the switch to operating an auto repair garage, you will need to have experience in mechanical engineering or auto mobile repairs.
33. Car Wash Business: Another easy to establish but highly thriving and profitable career change idea for someone over 40 or 50 years is to open a car wash. The market for car wash is driven by the purchase of cars and the increase in consumers spending.
In essence, as the general economy of a country grows, more people will buy cars and more people will patronize the services of car wash on a regular basis especially if their driving habits encourages them to do so. A car wash business is a lot easier to start when compared to an auto repair garage and it does not require a lot of experience or technicality.
34. Real estate: Real estate opportunities in most countries are so diverse and pose an opportunity for everyone especially for people in their 40’s and 50’s.
You can profit in real estate by getting involved in land flipping (that is buying land, waiting for it to appreciate over a period of time and then selling it off for a profit), open space leasing (this involves buying a strategically located space and then leasing it out to others for temporary use), through rendering real estate agency services, development of properties and of course, buying a land, building on it and then renting it out. Real estate provides a very flexible work schedule and as such one can easily choose his or her work hours.
35. Freelancing: freelancing is one of the fastest and cheapest businesses that anyone can start. There are a lot of websites out there that bring together people who have tasks that they need help completing and people who are willing to do it for a fee, together.
Freelancing websites such as Fiverr, Upwork, Seoclerk among others have enabled a lot of people to work right from the comfort of their homes. These websites have a wide array of niches that one can choose from and specialize in such as graphic design, digital marketing, video services, articles and e-book writing, advertisement, music, programming among other.
You will get paid when you deliver on the service that the buyer has purchased from you. With freelancing, someone can easily choose when, where and how many hours of work time that he or she wants to put in. You can make a career switch to freelancing from almost any career that you are currently in at the moment.
36. Niche coaching: in the early 2000’s there was a big boom in coaching, but it wasn’t very specialized. Nowadays, there is still a very high demand for coaching because a lot people are interested in not only success but also creating the life they want and bettering themselves.
However, coaching is now more specialized than before. It could be parental coaching, relationship coaching, coaching authors who are writing books, people who want to learn to forgive etc. People now want more specialized coaching rather than a general life and business coach that was popular back in the days. People who are in their 40’s or 50’s can share their wealth of experience with others by way of coaching them and still get paid while doing so.
37. Fine art: if you are skilled in arts, then you can make a career change to drawing, painting, photography, sculpting et al. By doing this you can earn good money while doing your favorite hobbies or pastime.
38. Carpentry business: starting a carpentry business is also a very viable career option for people who are over the age of 40. To become a skilled and proficient carpenter you will need to have the skill. You can learn about carpentry from a technical college or via apprenticeship in the hands of an already established carpenter. As a carpenter, you can either specialize in the roofing and construction aspects of carpentry or the finishing aspect.
39. Beauty salon: starting a beauty salon business can be a challenging but yet rewarding business. Whether you are a trained beauty therapist or you are just an enthusiast that wants to start up a salon, a beauty salon is a very profitable business that people who are over 40 can key into. In a beauty salon, you can offer services such as hair care, skincare, body care, manicure and pedicure, waxing, eye care et al. With the proper amount of publicity, marketing and packaging, your beauty salon can become very popular and thus quite profitable.
40. Dog breeding service: if you are someone who loves pets then this business is for you. This business can be time intensive as well as money intensive. Amongst domestic animals, dogs are considered to be one of the closest companions to human. Dogs breeding business is a lucrative business in the United States because of lot of residents here love dogs. If you are looking towards setting up your kennel, ensure that you source for dog breeds that are highly marketable in your area. It is important to state that it is easier to sell puppies than to sell adult dogs.
41. Blogging: a blog is an individual website that is updated on a regular basis. Blogging about lifestyle, fashion, gossip, business et al can be very satisfying and rewarding for people in their 40’s and 50’s. There are many different ways a blog can be monetized so you should not stick to just one.
You can make money through blogging by putting up adverts on your blog, selling your own courses and books, affiliate marketing and of course Google AdSense. You can make a career change to blogging from almost any other career because becoming a blogger is fairly easy.
42. Open a Microbrewery: Another thriving and profitable career change idea for people in their 40’s and 50’s who are looking towards starting a business is to open a microbrewery. A microbrewery or craft brewery as it is called in some quarters is a brewery that produces a small amount of beer per time; it is indeed a small scale brewery that can’t be compared to the conventional brewery plant and it is usually owned independently.
In order words, any entrepreneur that has some cash and brewing technique can comfortably start his or her own microbrewery business. You can sell the beer you produce to locals bar or sell them online. Generally, the selling point for microbreweries is their emphasis on their unique flavor, the quality of their beer and their brewing technique.
43. Music: if you are knowledgeable and passionate about music, you can make a career change to music. If you can sing or play a musical instrument, then you can market this skill by teaching others what you know and thus make money from it.
44. Private detective: private detective or Private investigators (PI) are independent investigators that typically work for the public and private sector clients to help conduct investigation and solve cases. A private investigator can help to conduct surveillance and background checks on individuals, pre-employment verification, guard high profile people, interview people related to cases, find missing people and valuables among other functions.
To become a private detective, you do not really need formal education, yet a degree in criminal justice can increase your credibility to a large extent. Someone who is a police officer, army veteran, navy officer et al. can easily switch to being a private detective.
45. Moving service/company: businesses and individuals who wish to move from one location to the other will need the services of a moving service or company. A moving company can be a very lucrative and fulfilling career change idea.
46. Day care: yet another lucrative career that someone over 40 can easily start is a day care. If you love kids and enjoy spending time with them then this business is for you. Endeavor to make sure that your day care is licensed and follows all the rules and regulations for basic child care and safety.
47. Poultry farm: poultry and its products constitute a staple food for Americans. Poultry farming in the United States is usually done on a large scale where big corporations are contacted for the sale of the birds and their products even before maturity.
Return on investment (ROI) of commercial poultry is high and in a short time, the initial investment can be recouped and further profit generated. If you are passionate about agriculture and you have the funds (or you can source for the funds) that is required to start up this business, then it is very rewarding to delve into it.
48. Advertising agency: advertising agencies help their clients to create slogans and advertising copies to be used in print, billboard, internet, television and on radio. A lot of businesses are in need promotion so as to increase their visibility to the teaming populace. With an advertising agency you can help them to create captivating adverts and thus help to promote their business. You can easily switch to an advertising agency from a sales career.
49. Travel agency: there has never been a better time to put your money where your map is. Travel agents provide their clients with services such as purchasing airline tickets, making hotel reservations for them, providing information about specific locations that their clients may want to travel to. As a travel agent, you can also help your customers to select and organize their holiday or travel within their budget. You can open a home based travel agency by tying up with a host agency.
50. Recruitment agency: When you open a requirement agency, you will help people to source for jobs that are best suited for them for a fee. You will also help businesses in their recruitment process. There will always be people in need of a new job or who want to change their current job that will patronize your business. If you are over 40 and you are in need of a career change then this could just be for you.
In conclusion, there are many career opportunities that are available for people who are around the ages of 40 or 50. You can make a life change or career change at any point in your life when you want it the most. Do not let fear, doubt or worry stop you from doing what your heart tells you to do.