Are you a stay-at-home mom or single mom looking to find a well paid job to earn extra income? If YES, here are 50 best career ideas for moms going back to work.
Becoming a mom is one of the greatest feelings in the world even though it comes with a new set of responsibilities. As a new mom, you would no longer have as much time to yourself as you did before you had your baby and the truth is that you may no longer be able to cope with a regular 9-5 job.
The good thing is that there are many careers with flexible working times, or that allow you to work shifts or work remotely. These are the best types of careers for new moms because you can still earn regular income without neglecting your maternal responsibilities. Some of the best career ideas for moms going back to work include:
50 Best Career ideas for Stay-at-Home Moms Going Back to Work
1. Teaching: Teaching is one of the best mom-friendly jobs. Most schools have a crèche section where you can keep your toddler until you are done with work and if your kids are of school age, it’s even better for you because you don’t have to worry about baby sitters to watch your kids when you are at work; you can simply enroll your kids in the same school where you work and take them home with you when you’re done for the day.
2. Web Designer: You can work from home as a web designer. You can source for web design jobs online and work from your home or a library or a co-working space where you can have full control over your working hours including closing and resumption times.
3. Real Estate Agent: Real Estate agency is a very flexible yet profitable job. You can start a private practice or work from home if you want. As long as you can keep getting leads and you’re able to follow up with potential clients to get results, you don’t necessarily have to work from a standard office space.
4. Teacher’s Aide: If you can’t get a job as a teacher, you can get one as a teacher’s aide. Just like teachers, teacher’s aides too have flexible work hours and can get back home on time to look after the kids.
5. Guidance Counselor: Guidance counselors help to provide guidance to students in middle school and high school. It is a flexible job that gives you enough time for your children, and one that pays well too.
6. Speech-Language Pathologist: Speech-language pathologists help children and adults with speech, social communication and cognitive communication problems. They also help people with swallowing disorders.
Some speech-language pathologists work in schools or have their own private practices.
Both options allow you to have flexible working hours where you can either decide your own closing and resumption times or close early after school hours so that you can have time to take care of your children.
7. Social Media Coordinator: Social media coordinators help businesses manage their social media accounts. Since all you need to manage your social media account is access to internet, you can easily work from home or from any other remote location where you can easily take care of your motherly responsibilities.
8. Public Relations Specialist: Another career idea suitable for working moms is to become a public relations specialist. This type of job involves a lot of field work and you can also start your own private practice that will allow you the opportunity to have flexible working hours.
9. Home Appraiser: Home appraisers help to determine the value of real estate properties mostly when the home is being put up for sale. You can earn competitive rates on this job, and you don’t have to work 9-5.
10. Physician’s Assistant: Physician’s assistants work with doctors or in hospitals. Just like Nurses, they have flexible working hours and can work on shifts.
11. Accountant: Accounting is another perfect career for a working mom. As an accountant, you can easily work for yourself, offer freelance services, or work part-time.
12. Dietitian: A lot of dietitians work online to design healthy meal plans for their clients. They talk to their clients and assess their needs remotely after which they come up with healthy meal plans and advice to help them get over their health challenges.
13. Makeup Artist: You don’t have to work full hours as a makeup artist and in fact, you don’t have to work every day. Makeup artists earn a lot of money working with celebrities, brides, and fashion forward individuals and they only have to work a few times in a week or month. This kind of job gives you enough time to attend to your maternal duties whilst still earning an impressive income.
14. Call Center Representative: Another career idea with flexible work hours that would give you a lot of time to attend to your family’s needs is to become a call center representative. You can work with the emergency call center in your locality, or work with a private company with a customer care call center. Both jobs allow you to work shifts.
15. Hair Dresser: The beauty industry is an evergreen one because women and men alike would not stop trying to look good. You can work as a mobile hairdresser who visits clients at home to make their hair, or you can work part-time for a salon so that you can easily schedule your time and take time off to spend time with your kids whenever necessary.
16. Data Entry Officer: If you have good typing and computer skills, you can work as a data entry officer. There are many data entry jobs online and opportunities to work remotely from home.
17. Event Planner: Event planners only have to work when they have events to plan so you can still work and earn money while spending enough time with your family.
18. Tax Advisor: You can help private clients and small business owners prepare and file their taxes. You can work remotely and earn a lot of money during tax season. After tax season, tax advisors usually have a lighter work load so you can have enough time during this period to focus on your family.
19. Virtual Assistant: As a virtual assistant, you will earn money while working from home. You can help busy people take care of some of their clerical duties remotely and earn up to $15/hour or more while working from the comfort of your home.
20. Computer Engineer: Another lucrative job idea is to become a computer engineer. You work with companies as a computer engineering consultant with your preferred working hours, or work remotely to help people fix their computer troubles.
21. Retail Associate: You can also work as a retail associate with companies that manufacture or sell products especially pharmaceutical companies. Usually, companies like this just give you a sales target to meet up with, and don’t really concern themselves with how you meet the target or whether you show up to work every day. As long as you’re efficient and hitting the mark, you can stay with your kids at home for as long as you like.
22. Private Trainer: As a private fitness trainer, you can easily help your clients to understand your maternal responsibilities so that you can schedule appointments to fit your personal schedule.
23. Online Tutor: Another lucrative idea is to become an online tutor. You can work from the comfort of your home and still earn good income while teaching students online.
24. Nanny: You can also work as a stay-at-home nanny. Instead of going to people’s homes to care for their children, you can have them bring their kids to your home where you can care for them along with your own children.
25. Freelance Writer: If you have a writing talent, you can harness it to become a freelance writer. Freelance writing is a very lucrative business today because a lot of contents need to be put out on the internet and people need good writers who can help them write great content for their websites.
26. Data Analyst: You can also consider working as a data analyst. Data analysts help businesses to gather relevant data that they need to improve their businesses and products/services. Most data analysts work freelance, and choose their own working hours.
27. Nurse: Nurses work on shifts so you can easily plan your time and care for your family when you are not working.
28. Occupational Therapy Assistant: Another good career idea to consider is becoming an occupational therapy assistant. This job also allows you to have flexible working hours.
29. Dental hygienist: Dental hygienists work on an appointment basis which means you can easily decide when you want your clients to come in, and you can have enough time to take care of your maternal responsibilities.
30. Acupuncturist: As an acupuncturist you can have your own private practice and determine your working hours.
31. Market Research Analyst: Market research analysts help potential and existing businesses understand what is happening in their industry or individual markets.
32. Yoga Instructor: Yoga instructors mostly work in the mornings and evenings. This means that you can have enough time to yourself during the day.
33. Personal Shopper: Becoming a personal shopper is also a very good career idea for mothers because you will work directly with clients and you don’t have to deal with rigid working hours.
34. Photographer: Photographers mostly work on an appointment basis so there’s no need for you to work 9-5 or even go to work daily.
35. Graphics Designer: Lastly, you can consider becoming a graphics designer. Just like freelance writers, graphics designers are on high demand nowadays and they earn a lot of money working from the comfort of their homes, coffee shops, cafes, co-working space, or wherever else they choose.