Are you about starting a food catering company from home? If YES, here is a complete sample mobile catering service business plan template and feasibility report you can use for FREE.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a catering business. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample catering marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for catering businesses. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- Executive Summary
- Market Analysis
- SWOT Analysis
- Financial Projection
- Marketing Plan
- Marketing ideas & Strategies
You see, planning to cater for guests doesn’t come easy. It is one thing to plan for a party or want to host some guests in the comfort of your home; and it is yet another to have them well catered for.
This is where adequate organization and projections come to fore. This means that if you were planning for a party for instance, you have got to be sure about the number of guests you are expecting, the type of food that appeals to them, as well as how you intend going about the preparation. Indeed having to go through all these steps, might be a bit tasking, however, good news is that there are folks who can take away the burden.
Is Catering Skills Needed to Run a Catering Business?
These folks as you already know are known as caterers and they do this on a full time or part time business scale. The catering business is one business that one can possibly start after acquiring the skills. This is because no one would possibly want to patronize a caterer who lacks the skills to whip up great meals.
This means that those who want to join the trade, have to first of all be sure that they know how to whip up great meals that people would like. It is for the of being capable that there are catering schools scattered both online and in physical places.
Proper Planning is Key – Write a Business Plan
So, after the skills and other things that may follow come about, the next thing to do would be to begin to plot your graph. Do all the ground planning like; determining how you want the business to be, your vision and mission and other vital information that cannot be left aside. All these no doubt can be contained in a business plan.
The point remains, how easy is it to write a business plan? Business plans, more often than not might not come readily easily, but the truth remains that with an existing template you can effectively write your own business plan from start to finish.
You will need to do plenty of research work, so as to arrive at the best of templates that can help guide you through the type of business that you are into. A lot of that research has been done here in this article. As a result, here below is a sample catering business plan template which you can use to get started with your own business plan.
A FREE Sample Catering Service Business Plan Template
- Catering Business Overview
Have you ever wondered how difficult it really gets for people who host parties to cope when they have to cook all the meals that the guests get to eat? Without a doubt, it is quite a difficult task to accomplish this, especially if the number of guests attending the event is much.
As such, if the host attempts to personally cook the meals for her guests; particularly when the number is on the high side, chances are that they may likely breakdown due to fatigue. It is for this reason that caterers are in hot demand.
There is hardly any country in the world where one may not find caterers who are into full – time catering businesses. Professional caterers do not only cater for big organizations, government agencies, institutions and parties, but they can also be contacted to handle home catering services for people who can the luxury. This means that people who host a huge number of visitors per time in their houses can relax and allow the burden of cooking to be taken off them.
In the United States of America alone, there are well over 10,000 registered catering businesses that employ about 150,000 people (both contract and full time employees), and most of them are thriving pretty well in the business because there are loads of business opportunities available to caterers in the United States of America, as well as in other parts of the world.
The United States of America’s Catering Industry generates well over 7 Billion US Dollars annually through events such as; weddings, holiday parties, corporate functions (Annual General Meetings and Anniversary et al), funerals and birthday parties amongst others, and the figure is still on the increase.
Catering business is considered to be amongst the delicate industries, this is because they are involved in cooking food for consumption for a large number of guests per time. It is the reason why this business is subjected to regular inspection by relevant health officials from different local health departments.
As one who runs a catering business in the United States of America, you are expected by law to comply with the laid down rules and regulations for the industry.
There is ample room for any entrepreneur who is interested in running a catering business in the United States of America to start in any capacity and still maximize profit in the business. You can start by catering for 20 people or less, conversely, you can as well start your catering business by catering for a large crowd.
The bottom line is that catering business is known to be a very lucrative business in all parts of the world, and not just in the United States of America.
Mobile Catering Business Plan Template – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
There is hardly any organization or individual who intends organizing any party or event that will not engage the services of caterers. One of the high points of parties, weddings and events generally is the time for refreshments with foods. Most people who attend parties look forward to when food is served, that is to tell you that a party will not be complete if there is nothing to eat and drink.
It is the norm for most corporate organizations to also give out the management of their canteens to vendors (caterers) because they know that it will be a distraction if they decided to handle it themselves. This is one of the major areas catering companies leverage on in building their businesses to generate steady income.
Outdoor catering services is supposed to be the core offering of catering businesses, but outdoor events don’t happen every day these days. As a matter of fact, caterers compete for the available weddings and parties that are organized during the weekends because weekends and holidays appear to be the busiest periods for catering business.
In order to compete with the big wigs in the catering industry in Chicago, we have decided to create a niche, which is why we want to run an all – round catering business; a catering business that is not just restricted to cooking and serving of foods, but a catering business that will offer rental services, consultancy services, as well as run a standard, government approved / licensed catering school in Chicago IL. Appealing Delight® Catering Company will adopt the following marketing and sales strategies;
- Introduce our business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to all the corporate organizations in Illinois
- Neighborhood, door to door and mouth to ear mode of adverts to introduce our business in our community
- Engage in road shows ( make some open air noise) to introduce our business
- Create different packages for different category of clients in order to work with their budgets and still deliver quality foods and services
- Encourage and reward referral marketing.
- Leverage on the internet to promote our business
- Start a TV show in line with our business goal and objectives
- Sponsor relevant community events, such as cooking competitions and cooking reality shows on TV et al.
Our Target Market
No doubt, the target market for catering businesses cut across people of all walks of life and organizations. The need to celebrate and call for a party will always arise and it is not restricted to only a group of people or organization, it cuts across people of all walks of life.
Yes, our catering services is within the reach of everybody and we intend serving available clients, but in order to effectively make plans and take actions towards meeting our sales and marketing goals, we have been able to pencil down the category of people and organizations that will be our main target market. Below is a list of the people and organizations that we have specifically designed our products and services for;
- Families (Homes)
- Schools (boarding house and campus et al)
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Event Planners
- Sport Centers
- Corporate Organizations
- Aspiring Entrepreneurs (Those who want to learn how to cook and run their own catering businesses)
- Managers of public facilities
- Carnival Organizers
- Caterers ( for our consultancy services and perhaps renting of our catering wares)
Our Competitive Advantage
Appealing Delight® Catering Services is coming into the catering industry knowing completely well that there are other competent and well established catering companies in Chicago. However, we have decided to critically study the industry and have realized that in order to have a competitive advantage over our competitors; we must do what they are not doing.
In view of the above stated fact, we have decided to offer a wide range of catering services that will meet the needs of a wide range of clientele base. We want to be the one stop shop when it comes to catering services in the whole of Illinois.
Our clients should be able to sign just one contract with us and we will deliver nearly all they would need to make their events a memorable one. This is the competitive advantage that we are bringing to the market in Chicago, IL.
Mobile Catering Service Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Appealing Delight Catering Services Company intends to become the number one catering services company in the whole of Chicago and the only way for us to achieve this is to engage in guerilla marketing. Our plan is to ensure that we get our own fair of the existing market in Illinois.
Our sales and marketing team will be recruited based on their vast experience in the industry and they will be trained on a regular basis, so as to be well equipped to meet their targets and the overall goal of the organization.
Our goal is to become a one-size-fits- all kind of service people when it comes to catering services in Chicago, Illinois and its environs. This is why we must explore all the marketing tactics available to us if indeed we want to fulfill our mandate. In nut a shell, we will explore the following marketing and sales strategies to promote our catering business;
- Direct Marketing
- Marketing via Our Sponsored TV Programs and Community Based Events
- Erect Our Billboards in Strategic locations around the city
- Sales Reps
- Online Marketing (via our official website, social media platforms and blog et al)
- Referral Marketing
- Promotion of our products during our training sessions in our catering school
Our Pricing Strategy
Launching a new business is not an easy task especially if you are launching a business / idea that is not entirely new from what is obtainable in the location you intend launching it. So, part of our strategy for entering the market is to leverage on pricing to gain a good percentage of the available market.
Of course we will attract clients by offering quality catering services for rock – bottom price. A price that probably will be the lowest in the industry.
Although prices for our catering services and other related services will be lower than what is obtainable in the industry, but it wouldn’t remain so for a long time. As a matter of fact, we intend jacking up the prices gradually until it falls at par with what is obtainable in the industry. We aim to achieve this within a year of launching the business.
- Payment Options
Our payment policy is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different people prefer different payment options as it suits them. Here are the payment options that we will make available to our clients;
- Payment by cash
- Payment via Point of Sale (POS) Machine
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via
- Payment via Mobile money
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will help us achieve our plans without any itches.
Catering Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
We have been able to work with our consultants to help us map out publicity and advertising strategies that will help us walk our way into the heart of our target market. First and foremost, we want our brand to visible and well communicated which is why we have created a logo with attractive colors.
All our publicity materials and jingles are done by some of the best hands in the industry. We have created a budget to take care of our publicity and advertising need and here are the platforms we intend making use of to promote and advertise our business;
- Place adverts on both print and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Sponsor relevant TV shows
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook ,Twitter, LinkedIn, Badoo, Google+ et al
- Install our Bill Boards on strategic locations
- Engage in road shows from time to time
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in targeted areas from time to time
Generating Funding / Startup Capital for Delicious Delight® Catering Services Company
- The CEO Mrs. Sharon Miller will generate 40 percent of the start – up capital from her personal savings
- She will source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Her bankers are willing to give her loan facility to the tune of 80,000 US Dollars
CATERING BUSINESS GROWTH – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Our CEO Sharon Miller has plans to implement succession plans hence the introduction of her daughter Ms. Stacy Miller to join her in building the business from the scratch. She has made plans to train her on the job and also attend training courses. Ms. Stacy Miller will be understudying her mother with the sole aim of taking over the business once she retires.
As part of the plans to sustain the business and also to expand the business, we will continue to invest in the training of our employees and also continue to explore new opportunities to generate income for the business. We are certain that if we get things right and we work hard; we are likely going to triple our income in the second year of our operations.
Check List / Milestone
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Renting of Facility and Construction of our Commercial Kitchen: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members and friends: Completed
- Application for Loan: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging Marketing / Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the Needed furniture, electronic appliances and catering equipment: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Preparation of our catalogue and price list: Completed
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and in the neighborhood: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement: In Progress
- Kitchen Approval by Inspectors from Local Health Office: Done
- Opening party / launching party: In Progress
- Compilation of our list of products and detailed recipe : Completed
- Arrangement for trainers and training facility: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – suppliers of all our needed food ingredients: Completed
- Purchase of delivery vans: Completed