Are you about starting a frozen food business? If YES, here is a complete sample frozen food business plan template and feasibility report you can use for FREE.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a frozen food business. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample frozen food business marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for frozen food businesses. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- 1 Why Start a Frozen Food Business?
- 2 Frozen Food Business Plan – Executive Summary
- 3 Frozen Food Business Plan – SWOT Analysis
- 4 Frozen Food Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- 5 Frozen Food Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- 6 Frozen Food Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising strategies
- 7 Frozen Food Business Plan – Financial Projection and Costing
- 8 Frozen Food Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Why Start a Frozen Food Business?
Sincerely, if you are interested in the food industry, the frozen food sector is a good one to give consideration especially if you live in a city. Indeed there are many things you can market in this industry such as fruits, vegetables, meat, chicken, turkey, fish, candy etc. If you plan to start this business, you need to conduct a market research to understand what the people in your locality need.
The major reason for starting a frozen food business is to meet the frozen food needs of your target market by selling to them at a profit and also satisfying their needs. The success of a frozen food business solely depends on developing a product that holds up well when it is frozen and also developing a business infrastructure that can package, hold and deliver frozen food.
Also it is important to note that marketing frozen food involves standing out in a fiercely competitive environment because retail freezer space is limited and expensive to maintain.
A frozen food business plan should take into account these unique challenges while also charting a business model that can profitably produce and distribute the product in your business location. Here below is a business plan for you to follow for your business.
A Sample Frozen Food Business Plan Template
- Business Overview
It has been estimated that the global frozen food market size exceeded USD 250 billion in 2015. This is because busy lifestyle coupled with shifting preferences among consumers towards ready to cook meals owing to convenience and hygiene has remained a key driving factor for the overall industry.
Compared to the fresh ones, these products contain maximum vitamins and minerals. It is believed that this is because freezing preserves the products for extended periods without any preservatives and prevents microbial growth that causes food spoilage and massive disposal.
It has been discovered that online purchase of frozen food is gaining popularity across developed nations, and this will have a positive influence on the overall industry over the next eight years. These facts will also help in increasing the shelf life of fruits and vegetables.
Also, availability of commercial and industrial freezing is further expected to boost the industry’s growth. It is important to note that the large unorganized industry participants, particularly in China and South East Asian countries, face great challenges regarding their price offerings and product quality as compared to large multinational corporations. Also high maintenance and logistics costs are believed to pose a hindrance for the industry participants over the forecast period and years.
It is believed that the market for fruits and vegetables will continue to enjoy increased momentum as the leading manufacturers help in commercializing the benefits of fruits & vegetables as part of healthy diet. Due to their busy lifestyle, the consumers nowadays want to get rid of the fresh vegetable concept. As a result, the processors are indulging themselves in innovating garnished, spiced and seasoned fruits and vegetables, which can tantalize the taste buds of consumers.
Frozen Food Business Plan – Executive Summary
Cistus and Daniella Morgan have been very relevant in the food industry for decades. Both opened their first restaurant in New York City in 1996 and their second in Ontario Canada in 2005. They have been praised for the quality of many of the items on their menu and they have attained a special notoriety for their desserts. After years of request for their flavoured whipped cream toppings, they have decided to start marketing these products separately from the restaurants.
They have also developed several recipes for flavoured whipped cream topping. This unique couple has developed wonders like chocolate, raspberry, cinnamon almond, and strawberry. These flavoured dessert toppings have been used in the setting of their two restaurants over the past 10 to 15 years, and have been produced in large quantities for their unique customers. The estimated shelf life of the product is 21 days at refrigeration temperatures and up to six months when frozen.
We at ColdFoods Inc. plan to market the product in the frozen state in 8 and 12-ounce plastic tubs. We also plan to have the products available in six ounce pressurized cans. We believe that special attention has been given to developing an attractive label that will stress the freezing nature of our products. We believe that the distribution of our unique product will start in the local south-eastern Oklahoma area.
We at ColdFoods believe that our business has an established name and reputation in this area, and product introduction should encounter little resistance. Adequate research and projections show that the company will have both a positive cash flow and profit in the first year.
- Our Products and Services
Cistus and Danielle Morgan have developed several recipes for flavoured whipped cream topping which include chocolate, raspberry, cinnamon, almond, and strawberry. It is believed that these flavoured dessert toppings have been used in the setting of their two restaurants over the past 10 to 15 years, and have been produced in large quantities.
We at ColdFoods Inc. intend to serve our customers with cold dessert and seafood. We at ColdFoods Inc. currently provide numerous seafood products to restaurants in south eastern Oklahoma. We also plan to focus on popular seafood selections that will bring customers into the store. ColdFoods Inc. will have the following retail products:
- flavoured whipped cream topping
- Chopped Potatoes
- Jumbo Fresh Gulf Shrimp
- Alaskan King Crab
- Florida Lobster
- Sea Scallops
- Fresh Gulf Fish Fillets
- Yellowfin Tuna
Our Mission Statement
The mission at ColdFoods Inc. is to provide the residents and visitors of Oklahoma with an upscale store that offers seafood and flavoured whipped cream topping delicatessen specializing in a combination of quality, authentic, hard to find, grocery items from around the world.
- Our Vision Statement
Our vision at ColdFoods Inc. is to offer customers the best product prices on the highest quality frozen foods.
Our Business Structure
We at ColdFoods, understand and believe comfortably that the connection and workforce we employ should be structured with enough room for creativity, and pay should be commensurate with the amount and quality of work completed. ColdFoods Inc. will not be departmentalized and every decision made in the company will be done in accordance with the company mission.
Our workers will be given explicit tasks based upon their creativity, knowledge, and social ability. We hope to fulfill all our goals and visions, which is why we have chosen designated portfolios to employ right from the beginning. They are;
- General Manager
- Head of operations
- Admin and Personnel Manager
- Sales and Marketing Officer
- Security Officers
Roles and Responsibilities
- His in charge of overseeing all other executives and staff within the organization.
- He is tasked with board of directors and other executives to determine if company is in accordance with goals and policies.
- Charged with encouraging business investment.
- He also promotes economic development within communities.
- He is in charge of directing the organization’s financial goals, objectives and budgets.
- Implement the organization’s guidelines on a day-to-day basis.
- Preside over quality control.
- In charge of hiring, training and terminating employees.
- In charge of developing and implementing strategies and set the overall direction of a certain area of the company or organization.
- Provide visionary and strategic leadership for the organization.
- Collaborate with the board of directors to develop the policies and direction of the organization.
- He makes sure that the members of the Board of Directors have the information necessary to perform their fiduciary duties and other governance responsibilities.
- He also provides adequate and timely information to the Board to enable them to effectively execute its oversight role.
- Direct staff, including organizational structure, professional development, motivation, performance evaluation, discipline, compensation, personnel policies and procedures.
Head of operations
- In charge for managing the daily activities in the store
- Makes sure that the restaurant facility is in very good shape and conducive enough for customers
- Connects with third–party providers (vendors)
- In charge of supervising and training new staff members
- Reports to the General Manager
- Settles all customer complaints and inquiries
- Creates budget and reports for the fast food
- Any other duty as assigned by the General Manager
Admin and Personnel Manager
- In charge of overseeing the running of HR and administrative tasks for ColdFoods Inc.
- Monitor office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Stays updated on job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Builds the reputation of ColdFoods Inc. by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- State job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Organize staff induction for new team members
- In charge of training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- In charge of arranging travel, meetings and appointments
- Oversee the smooth running of the daily office activities.
- In charge of evaluating clients nutritional needs
- In charge of providing nutritional counseling and advice to clients
- Tasked with creating a clinical nutrition treatment plan for a client
- In charge of educating the public on nutrition issues
- Researching the effects of nutrition on health and fitness
- Consulting with a team of health care practitioners on nutritional management for a client
Sales and Marketing Officer
- Oversees external research and coordinates all the internal sources of information to retain the organizations’ best customers and attract new ones
- Creates demographic information and analyze the volumes of transactional data generated by customer purchases
- Understand, prioritizes, and reaches out to new partners, business opportunities et al
- Understand development opportunities; follows up on development leads and contacts; participates in the structuring and financing of projects; assures the completion of development projects.
- In charge for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicates with clients
- Create, executes and evaluates new plans for expanding sales
- Keep all customer contact and information
- Represents the company in strategic meetings
- Aid to increase sales and growth for the business
- In charge of preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for ColdFoods Inc.
- Provides financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports; analyses financial feasibility for the most complex proposed projects; conducts market research to forecast trends and business conditions.
- In charge of financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Understand cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting
- In charge of developing and managing financial systems and policies
- In charge of administering payrolls
- Ensuring compliance with taxation legislation
- Take care of all financial transactions for ColdFoods Inc.
- Serves as internal auditor for the organization
- Quickly attends to customers in a friendly and professional manner
- Make sure that unoccupied tables are always set and ready for customers
- Draws out chairs for customers as they arrive
- Takes care of any other duty as assigned by the general manager
- Delivers customer’s orders on time
- Delivers correspondence for the shop
- Runs errand for ColdFoods Inc.
- Any other duty as assigned by the floor/line manager
- In charge of cleaning the business facility at all times
- Makes sure the toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Makes sure that both the interior and exterior of the business facility are always clean
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the general manager
- In charge of protecting the agency and it’s environs
- Controls traffic and organize parking
- Give security tips when necessary
- Patrols around the building on a 24 hours basis
- Presents security reports weekly
Frozen Food Business Plan – SWOT Analysis
We at ColdFoods Inc. understand that managing a business is not an easy task which is why we had to contract a well know consultancy firm to aid us with our SWOT Analysis. This firm was employed to extensively go through our business concept and critically examine the prospect and the success of our company. They did a good job and we believe that the results they actualized was after thorough research. Below is the summary of the SWOT Analysis done for ColdFoods Inc.
It is believed that the strength of ColdFoods Inc. rests on the fact that we have a lot of products and services to offer to the citizens of Oklahoma. It is believed that our niche idea has been inculcated with so many mouthwatering delicacies, but just the idea of singling it out makes it our strength in the industry.
Also the experience and expertise of our founding teams makes our business the venture to beat in the industry. The connections we have set already make us invisible and strong.
After our extensive research in the industry, it was noted that our business location might serve as a weakness to us. It went further to acknowledge that the district we have chosen in Oklahoma is the centre hub of the city and will be filled with businesses trying to offer most of the services we offer.
The world has gotten to the point where every Dick and Harry wants healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, meat, chicken, turkey, fish, candy etc. -to remain healthy. They also want to save time and stress and get their frozen foods instead of cooking or butchering them. All this are opportunities which our SWOT Analysis noted are available to us.
Our SWOT Analysis also noted that the major threat we will be facing is the fact that we are going to be competing against already existing business in Oklahoma. It is believed that these businesses will come after us with all they have got. This will won’t be easy for a new entrant in the industry.
Frozen Food Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trend
We have been made to understand that changing lifestyle is expected to help the industry demand. Our products include fruit, vegetables, fish & seafood, potatoes, a variety of meat products, soups, ready meal products and others. Other products commonly include bakery related items. It is relevant to note that Frozen ready meal emerged as the leading product segment and accounted for over 30% of the total market in 2015.
Indeed frozen ready meals products are expected to witness significant growth owing to their increased popularity on account of hygiene and timely preparation. Also, the rising population of women workforce is expected to be a key element that would assist growth in future years and also provide a boom the industry.
We also believe that frozen potatoes are expected to exhibit the fastest growth at an estimated CAGR of 4.7% from 2016 to 2024. We all know that these have a high nutritional value and are also delicious in nature. Also, potatoes are mostly gluten free and are considered a carbohydrate source in a balanced diet.
We all know that the global frozen food market is highly fragmented that involves both multinational corporations and domestic companies, and in recent years manufacturers have chosen new freezing technologies to preserve the nutritional content and also reduce any material loss in the industry.
- Our Target Market
Without further waste of time and resources, our main target markets are:
- People who live and work in Oklahoma, who are looking for quality ingredients needed to prepare their favourite international cuisine.
- Surrounding businesses looking for a tasty meal for their customers and staff.
- International and domestic travellers visiting Oklahoma.
- Families looking for quality, affordable, home cooked meals to take home and prepare for their families with ease.
- People looking for a comfortable environment in which to enjoy a cup of coffee, read a book, or just shop.
- People looking for high quality, unique gifts and kitchen supplies.
- Each market segment consists of people who either live, work, or vacation in the Oklahoma. Each market will be seeking an establishment that will meet their desire for authentic, healthy food, quality service, and a pleasant atmosphere.
Our Competitive Advantage
Outlined and explained below are the various advantages we have over our competitors in the industry. We have plans to make use of it judiciously, and take over the industry completely.
We at ColdFoods Inc. believe that Location is critical to success. This is why our store needs to be on Main Street or just off Main Street so we can take advantage of walk-by and drive-by traffic. Our management also noted that we also need adequate parking to make shopping at our store convenient for drivers.
We have also noted that Oklahoma residents and visitors are willing to pay a little bit more for good food and the convenience of being able to get what they want without having to travel out of town or order over the internet. Our customers will purchase our food because it is authentic, frozen and fresh.
- High Quality
We at ColdFoods Inc. by focusing on high quality international food and frozen delicacies will draw customers from the competition, as well as create a local market that has not existed before in Oklahoma. If the prices are reasonable and the food is good, we will have growth through repeat business.
Frozen Food Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Marketing and Sales strategy
We at ColdFoods Inc. believe we have an established name and reputation in this area, and product introduction should encounter little resistance. Not less than 27 businesses in this area have indicated that they are willing to carry and sell our products. Their letters of intent and endorsement are included and can be presented on request.
We at ColdFoods, intend to participate in the “Made in Oklahoma” Demonstration Program administered by the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture and Demo Foods in Oklahoma City. We believe that this program will enable ColdFoods Inc. to introduce Whipped Dream into the Oklahoma City metropolitan area under more favourable market conditions by showing the people how unique our products are.
We at ColdFoods Inc. also intend to enter the grocery and specialty markets in the Tulsa area in 2018. We will also rely heavily on in-store displays and demonstrations in south eastern Oklahoma stores, as well as those in Tulsa and Oklahoma City.
Our management have noted that we will demonstrate our flavoured topping in conjunction with fresh fruit during warmer months, and as a topping on gourmet coffee and hot chocolate in the cooler months, which we believe will bring us closer to our prospective customers. We have also given special attention to developing an attractive label that will stress the gourmet/specialty nature of the products.
Frozen Food Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising strategies
We at ColdFoods, understand and believe that every individual living in the United States is a potential customer and all our potential markets will experience growth. We also believe that our publicity and advertising to a particular sector of the population will lead to an expansion in overall market growth.
We at ColdFoods, plan to implement a strong sales publicity and advertising strategy, which is why we have partnered with Fidelity Communications, an advertising firm that specializes in business advertisements and many other advertising strategies, to help us with boosting the image of ColdFoods Inc. It has been agreed that we will leverage or do the following to boost our cooperate identity in the market;
- It was agreed that ColdFoods, will pay Fidelity Communications $60,000 to determine the needs of the surrounding population and the best way we at ColdFoods Inc. can meet those needs with promotions, literature and other marketing programs.
- Our promotional campaigns will be partially outsourced to Fidelity Communications because of their expertise on the field
- Our advertising will be consistent with Fidelity Communications being a well known advertising brand
- Fidelity Communications and our sales team will work together to inform customers of new products, to encourage an image of community involvement for ColdFoods Inc., and to limit environmental impact.
Sources of Income
We at ColdFoods, intend to market our entire products in its frozen state in 8 and 12-ounce plastic tubs. We also intend to have the products available in six ounce pressurized cans. We at ColdFoodsInc. currently provide numerous seafood products to restaurants in Oklahoma. Our market’s new public retail outlet in ColdFoodsInc. will focus on popular seafood selections that will bring customers into the store. We plan to make profits by offering the following products;
- flavoured whipped cream topping
- Chopped Potatoes
- Jumbo Fresh Gulf Shrimp
- Alaskan King Crab
- Florida Lobster
- Sea Scallops
- Fresh Gulf Fish Fillets
- Yellowfin Tuna
The projection below is a very conservative ColdFoods Inc. sales forecast for the next three years. We anticipate actual sales will be much higher after the renovation, but we want to plan for other contingencies.
- First Year-: $420,000
- Second Year-: $1,200,000
- Third Year-: $3,000,000
Our Pricing Strategy
Indeed ColdFoods Inc. is a frozen food venture established to serve the needs of the people and to keep them healthy. We at ColdFoodsInc. plan to encourage impulse buying, which we believe is paramount if we are to maintain a flexible pricing strategy.
Our pricing strategy at ColdFoods Inc. will be based on competitive parity guidelines. We are not in business for a trial and error design but as a venture with hopes and promises, which is why we won’t be exceeding our competitors’ prices by more than 10%, and if a customer sees a price elsewhere for less, we will give it to them for that price.
Our Unique and experienced management understands that the prices we keep will tell a lot about our brand. Our plan is to bring to the people of Oklahoma products that are innovative and not available elsewhere in the region, which will be marked up to meet the demand curve. We are not afraid of premium pricing premium products. We believe that our unique products will be priced slightly above the industry average.
- Payment Options
Just like our SWOT Analysis noted, our business location is a very important competitive advantage that we possess. We believe that it will be difficult for our competitors to match our business location. Our experienced management have ensured that we bring payment options that are unique and will make the payment for the service we offer very easy for our customers.
We have also partnered and registered with the necessary financial institutions in the country and we hope to make use of that relationship. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials so that it will be easier for clients to make payments when necessary.
- Payment by via bank transfer
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment through point of service machines
- Payment via check
- Payment via bank draft
- Payment via mobile money
- Payment with cash
Frozen Food Business Plan – Financial Projection and Costing
It’s our hope at ColdFoods Inc. to build a business that will grow moderately, with a positive cash balance. We have plans to build a classic business that will invest residual profits into company expansion and personnel. Being prepared and serious, we have estimated that our advertising and consulting costs will go up in the next two years.
We believe that new entrants in the industry are always operating with negative profits through the first two years. We at ColdFoods, hope to avoid that kind of operating loss by knowing our competitors, our target markets, industry direction, and the products we sell. Outlined below are the ways we expect to spending our start-up cost;
- The Total Fee for Registering the Business in Oklahoma: $750.
- The budget for insurance, permits and license: $5,000
- The Amount needed to acquire a suitable Facility for 6 months in Oklahoma (face lifting of the facility inclusive): $75,000.
- The Cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (fridges, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al): $20,000.
- The Cost for Equipment (Standard commercial oven, shelves, Proof boxes, Baking Sheets and Racks, Work Tables, Sinks, Slicers, Scales et al): $15,000
- The Cost for inventory : $600,000
- The Cost of Launching a Website: $600
- Our marketing and publicity budget – $200,000
- The cost for our opening party: $5,000
- Additional Expenditure (Business cards, Signage, Adverts and Promotions et al): $5,000
From our detailed analysis above, we will be needing $926,350 to start ColdFoods Inc. We have also put plans in place to be able to raise the funds and capital.
Generating Funding/Start up for ColdFoods Inc.
Just like we stated in the executive summary, Cistus and Daniella Morgan are the founders and sole owners of ColdFoods both of this unique individuals have had extreme experience in the industry and understand how it functions. They will also be the sole financiers of the business which is why have restricted the sourcing of the start – up capital for the business to just three major sources.
- Generate part of the start – up capital from personal savings and sale of stocks
- Generate part of the start – up capital from friends and other extended family members
- Generate part of the capital from the bank (loan facility).
Note: Cistus and Daniella Morgan have been able to raise $600,000 ($500,000 from personal savings and $100,000 from friends and family as soft loan), and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $400,000. We have verified all the necessary procedures to actualize or get our startup cost.
Frozen Food Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
It is important to note that while careful planning was involved in setting the strategic goals for ColdFoods Inc., we have decided to set a zone of acceptability for meeting sales and financial objectives. We believe it is unique to state out rightly that a 10% negative deviation from expected sales and projected returns on assets will be accepted and rearranged. But if the sales objectives and returns on investment are less than 90% of projections, certain actions will be taken to remedy the situation. These actions include:
- In case of unacceptable sales levels during the first year
We at ColdFoods Inc. will combat this problem by doubling in-store promotions of our products in our different stores. We will also personally arrange and carry out these promotions on weekends at peak shopping times. And if the sales do not increase within one month of the in-store promotions, we will advertise in the weekly shopping circulars of the stores for one month. This we believe will remedy the situation effectively.
- In case of unacceptable sales levels in Oklahoma City and Tulsa
Our Publicity Consultancy firm believe that after 6 months of marketing products in these two metropolitan areas, sales will be evaluated and analyzed, and if doesn’t meet acceptable sales levels, we at ColdFoods, will consider contracting with more local marketing specialists in Oklahoma City and Tulsa to carry out the in-store promotions and push the products to the stores in other to boost our brand awareness.
We believe that this contractual relationship will be based upon sales commissions (to be determined by the Fidelity Communications and ColdFoods Inc.), thereby providing incentive for them to generate sales for our business.
- In case unacceptable business liquidity
We at ColdFoods are always trying to consider all possibilities. In a severe case that the business lacks liquidity, we at ColdFoods Inc. will examine our accounts receivable procedures to make sure that payment periods are just and that payments are being received in a timely manner, this is to ensure transparency and effectiveness.
Also, our cash flow projections at ColdFoodsInc. will be reviewed to ascertain if unforeseen cash layouts/expenses are undermining the financial health of our business venture.
- In case of unacceptable returns on equity
In a case where returns on assets and owners’ equity fall below acceptable levels, we at ColdFoods Inc. will first examine and compare the per-unit costs of production and marketing with sales prices, to ascertain certain distribution prices and level. If the margins are too thin, a price increase for products sold in specialty/gourmet shops will be considered.
But because established non-flavoured substitutes already exist at lower prices, the lost sales resulting from a price increase may make this option unsuitable for products sold in general food stores. We at ColdFoods Inc. will therefore assess opportunities for minimizing production costs and examine different marketing/distribution alternatives, to boost returns.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Incorporation: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts various banks in the United States: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of All form of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Leasing, renovating and equipping our facility: Completed
- Generating part of the start – up capital from the founder: Completed
- Applications for Loan from our Bankers: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging Marketing/Promotional Materials: Completed
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the Needed software applications, furniture, office equipment, electronic appliances and facility facelift: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business (Business PR): In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with banks, financial lending institutions, vendors and key players in the industry: In Progress
Latest posts by Ajaero Tony Martins (see all)
- How to Write a Music Venue Business Plan [Sample Template] - February 2, 2020
- A Sample Indoor Shrimp Farming Business Plan Template - February 2, 2020
- How Long You Have to Buy Insurance After Buying a Used Car - January 29, 2020