Skip to Content

7 Best Grants for a Halfway House [How to Apply]

If you operate a halfway house, especially if the halfway house is structured as a nonprofit organization, one of the ways you can generate money to run the halfway house is from grants. Interestingly, there are a lot of organizations that give out grants to halfway houses and you might want to explore them.

The fact that you operate a halfway house means that you will be qualified for some grants as long as you meet the requirements, and of course, you know the modalities for applying for such grants. In this article, we will look at some of the best grants you can apply for if you own a halfway house.

Best Grants for a Halfway House

  1. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Grants

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)  offers various grants supporting mental health and substance abuse treatment programs, including those focused on transitional housing.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is the agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that leads public health efforts to advance the behavioral health of the nation and to improve the lives of individuals living with mental and substance use disorders, and their families.

SAMHSA’s mission is to lead public health and service delivery efforts that promote mental health, prevent substance misuse, and provide treatments and support to foster recovery while ensuring equitable access and better outcomes.

How to Apply for a SAMHSA Grant

Search for a NOFO on the SAMHSA Grants Dashboard. You can also search by the Notice of Funding Opportunity Number or the Assistance Listing number/Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) number.

Both numbers are on the cover page of the NOFO. Each NOFO includes specific instructions for completing an application.


Only domestic public and private non-profit entities and halfway houses can apply for SAMHSA grants. Every SAMHSA NOFO posted on the Grants Dashboard and will include additional eligibility requirements.

Registration Process

All applicants must register with, the System for Award Management (SAM), and NIH’s eRA Commons to apply. The registration process takes up to six weeks.

Applications will not be accepted if your organization is not registered, and you do not have an active eRA Commons PI account by the deadline. No exceptions will be made.

Please note that applications for this grant must be submitted electronically through Successfully submitted applications through will proceed to the NIH eRA Commons system to be validated.

Successfully validated applications through the NIH eRA Commons system will then be forwarded to SAMHSA for further review.

  1. Department of Justice (DOJ) Second Chance Act Grants

The Second Chance Act provides grants to support the reentry of individuals into society, including programs related to halfway houses and rehabilitation.

The Second Chance Act is a federal legislation aimed at improving reentry outcomes for individuals released from prisons and jails.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) administers grants under the Second Chance Act to support programs and services that facilitate successful reintegration into society. These grants are relevant to halfway houses, as they often play a crucial role in the reentry process.

Eligibility Criteria

Eligibility for Second Chance Act grants depends on various factors, including the specific focus of the program, the target population, and the alignment with the goals of the legislation. Halfway houses and organizations providing reentry services often qualify for these grants.

Please note that the application process for Second Chance Act grants is competitive. Organizations seeking funding must submit detailed proposals outlining their programs, services, and how they align with the goals of the Second Chance Act.

  1. Homeless Assistance Grants from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

The Homeless Assistance Grants provided by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) aim to address homelessness and support initiatives that provide housing and services for individuals experiencing homelessness.

These grants are relevant to various programs and organizations, including those involved in operating and supporting halfway houses.

HUD’s Homeless Assistance Grants aim to end homelessness by providing funding for a wide range of services, including emergency shelter programs, transitional housing, and permanent supportive housing.

Eligibility Criteria:

Eligibility for Homeless Assistance Grants depends on factors such as the organization’s capacity to provide services, the impact of their programs on reducing homelessness, and compliance with program requirements.

Please note that HUD allocates funds through a competitive grant process. Organizations, including halfway houses, interested in receiving funding must submit competitive applications demonstrating how their programs align with the goals of the CoC Program.

  1. Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program

The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program provides annual grants on a formula basis to states, cities, and counties to develop viable urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment, and by expanding economic opportunities, principally for low- and moderate-income persons.

Note that local governments interested in leveraging CDBG funds for homeless shelter projects typically develop proposals that align with the program’s guidelines.

Eligibility Criteria

The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds are allocated to eligible grantees based on a formula that considers factors such as population size, poverty levels, and housing overcrowding. Grantees then use these funds to support various community development projects.

Eligible activities include outreach and education efforts associated with mitigation activities. Funds are used in areas impacted by recent disasters to carry out strategic and high-impact activities to mitigate disaster risks and reduce future losses.

  1. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Grants

Tens of millions of Americans receive quality, affordable health care, and other services through HRSA’s 90-plus programs.

HRSA programs provide equitable health care to people who are geographically isolated and economically or medically vulnerable including those in halfway houses.

HRSA programs also support health infrastructure, including training of health professionals and distributing them to areas where they are needed most, providing financial support to health care providers, and advancing telehealth.

Eligibility Criteria

Nonprofits with and without 501(c)(3) status from the IRS, other than institutions of higher education are eligible for this grant.

Note that they don’t discriminate against non-governmental organizations with a religious character. Faith-based organizations can compete for grant funds just as all other non-governmental organizations. The grant award decisions rely solely on an organization’s competence, capacity, and actions.

  1. Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) Program

The Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) Program is a federal initiative administered by the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA), a component of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ).

The JAG Program provides funding to state and local governments to support a wide range of criminal justice initiatives, including those related to reentry programs and halfway houses.

Eligibility Criteria

Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) funds are allocated to states and local units of government based on a formula that considers factors such as population and crime rates. States, in turn, sub-allocate funds to local jurisdictions, including cities and counties.

Note that the Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) funds can be used to support a range of reentry programs, including those associated with halfway houses.

These funds may be directed towards improving services for individuals transitioning from incarceration to the community.

  1. Foundation Grants

Apart from all the grant programs listed above which are usually issued by government agencies, it is important to note that many private foundations, such as the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, also offer grants to organizations addressing mental health, substance abuse, and reentry issues.

Interestingly, halfway houses fall under this category, and if you own a nonprofit halfway house, you can apply for such grants. All you need to do is to be on the lookout for when such grant opportunities will be announced.