INTRODUCTION – Is lack of capital hindering your plans to start a new business or buy an existing one? If YES, here is a complete guide on how to get finance for your business.
Do you know that the best creative or innovative idea in the world is yet to be unleashed or invented? Do you know that the world is filled with brilliant ideas that have potential to generate money / profits, create jobs and re-distribute wealth?
Well, if you are one of those that are constantly basking in the euphoria of developing a winning business idea; then you may need to have a rethink because having a good business idea is one thing, but the process of executing and turning your idea into a business opportunity is a different ball game entirely. And this process can never occur without MONEY.
Why I Wrote this Fund Raising Guide
Over the years of running a business and interacting with other business owners / aspiring entrepreneurs, I have come to understand the fact that raising capital will remain the most challenging task for an entrepreneur. And this is the sole reason why I wrote this startup funding guide.
You may have the most brilliant idea in the world, or you have mapped out a formidable expansion plan for your existing business; however, if you cannot raise the needed funds to pursue these ideas or plans, nothing will ever get done.
“There are three components to starting a business. One is the right plan; two is the right team and three is the money. Rarely do these three components come together when starting a business. It’s the duty of an entrepreneur to grab one piece and start the business, the remaining two pieces will be found along the way. Finding the remaining two components may take a year or more than 10 years; the point is, start with what you have.” – Robert Kiyosaki
This Small Business Financing Guide is Like your Ultimate Weapon
Getting funds to start a new business (or expand an existing one) is one of the most difficult challenges you can ever face as an entrepreneur. This is because most of the widely known sources of funding (such as bank loans and venture capital) are highly competitive; running after them is like racing with many other cars on an extremely crowded highway. That is, many businesses, both small and big are fighting hard to get funds from these same sources.
Now, I am not saying you cannot get bank loans or venture capital. But the bitter truth is, you will most likely have to fight through all the clutter for several weeks to months just to get your voice heard. Moreover, your business may not be ripe for these funds, as they are usually reserved for companies that have already reached certain milestones. Yet, only with the needed funds can your business reach those milestones.
So, what should you do rather than waste months to years trying to get funds from these tight sources? The answer is to avoid the highly competitive options. Instead of racing with other cars on the jammed highway, you can choose to take the side streets (provided you can easily navigate your way through them).
In essence, by reading this guide, you will discover…..
- Little known sources for raising capital for your business
- How to easily and strategically raise capital through these little-known sources
- How to get bank loans and venture capital (even amidst fierce competition)
How to Get Finance to Start a New Business or Buy a Business
“In the game of entrepreneurship, the process is more important than the goal. When you start building a business, you begin a journey, a process. This process has a beginning and an ending and between the beginning and end are a lot of challenges. You will win only if you remain faithful to the process.” – Rich Dad
TABLE OF CONTENTS
SECTION A – Preparing Yourself
- Most people have too many business ideas in their heads. This chapter will teach you exactly how to identify and focus on one promising business idea.
- This chapter addresses the various skills and characteristics you must possess to be successful in your fund raising quest.
Chapter 3: Crafting a great business plan: why and how
- This chapter discusses the importance of a business plan to your fund raising quest and how it can help you get the needed funds to start your business. It also covers details and strategies on how to write a winning business plan that gets the attention of investors.
- This chapter contains about everything you need to know about debt financing and equity financing. You will also learn the sources of both debt and equity financing which one is best for your business.
Chapter 5: Taking the first shot – why and how
- This chapter discusses the basics of bootstrapping and the importance of getting some funds from your end; as investors would be skeptical to contribute to your business idea if you have not shown that you are putting something into it yourself. You will also learn a few self financing strategies, its pros and cons, common mistakes associated with it, etc.
SECTION B: Raising Capital Through Equity Financing
Chapter 6: Raising seed capital from family and friends
- In this chapter, you will discover the common challenges of raising capital from family and friends. You will also learn a few strategies and techniques you can adopt to successfully get the money from family and friends.
Chapter 7: Raising Capital from Angel Investors
- In this chapter, you will learn who angels are, how and where to find them, how to connect and pitch them with your ideas, etc. You will also learn the fundamental principles of raising funds from Angel investors.
Chapter 8: Raising funds from Venture capitalists
- In this chapter, you will learn who Venture capitalists are, and their role in startup financing. You will also learn how to pitch VCs, common questions they are likely to ask you; plus the advantages and disadvantages of taking venture capital.
Chapter 9: Taking your company public through IPO
- This chapter is strictly for those that think big and love taking on challenges. In this section, we explain the basic concept of taking a company public, the advantages and disadvantages of going public; and the necessary steps you need to take to get your company quoted on the floor of the stock exchange.
SECTION C: Raising Funds Through Debt Financing
Chapter 10: Obtaining Small Business Loans
- This chapter briefly highlight the various sources of small business loans (Bank loans, SBA business loans, Government business loans), the advantages and disadvantages of taking business loans and the challenges you are likely to encounter when taking a business loan.
- Bank Business Loans – Covers the legal and financial requirements for getting a bank loan, plus the possible questions your banker might ask you before giving you a loan; and how to answer them.
- Government Business Loans – Covers techniques for applying for a government business loan, plus the legal and financial requirements for getting a government loan.
SECTION D: OTHER SOURCES OF FUND
- This chapter discusses the basic concept of raising money through crowdfunding, the advantages and disadvantages of crowdfunding; and the challenges you are likely to encounter when raising capital through crowdfunding.
Chapter 12: How to Get a Small Business Grant
- This chapter discusses briefly, the basic concept of business grants and highlights the various sources of small business grants (Grants from NGOs, Government business grants).
- This chapter discusses briefly, the basic concept of mergers and acquisitions, the advantages and disadvantages of M&As and challenges you are likely to encounter during mergers and acquisitions. Plus strategies and techniques you can employ to overcome such challenges.
- In this chapter, you will learn how to successfully apply for an equipment lease, the challenges you are likely to encounter when taking an equipment lease and strategies you can employ to overcome such challenges.
SECTION E: Conclusion – How to Write a Fundraising Proposal
- In this section, you will learn how to write mind-blowing loan proposals, partnership proposals, grant proposals, etc. with samples to help).
Latest posts by Ajaero Tony Martins (see all)
- Designing an RV Park – 6 Critical Factors You Must Consider - January 16, 2020
- 8 Strong Reasons You Should Become an Entrepreneur - January 9, 2020
- How to Find a Business Partner or Investor With Money - January 9, 2020