There are different roles in a medical billing and coding company and one of them is that of a Medical Billing Manager. These people are responsible for providing leadership to the medical billing/intake department to ensure optimal cash flow, as well as improved relations with physicians, patients, and other customers.
A Medical Billing Manager manages all the services that revolve around medical billing and coding such as administering medical insurance policies and claims and help doctors and other healthcare providers collect payments from insurance companies and Medicare.
Please note that in order to qualify as a company house manager; you should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field and an Advanced degree (eg. MBA, MPH, PMP, Six Sigma Black Belt).
You should also be experienced in supervisory or management position and possess deep knowledge and understanding of revenue cycle, collections and payment posting, medical billing, Medicare and Medicaid, and third – party payers with thorough knowledge and working experience of CPT and ICD9 codes, UB04 claim forms, HCFA 1500, HIPAA, medical terminology, appeal processes, billing, insurance regulations and insurance benefits.
You should also possess strong experience of medical insurance/healthcare billing and collections work in a health system or medical practice, profound knowledge of rules and regulations affecting medical billing and insurance verification, strong management skills, ability to appropriately assign or delegate work and authority to others in the accomplishment of goals.
You should also provide coaching, advice and assistance as required. Having said that, here are the top 38 duties and responsibilities of a Medical Billing Manager:
What is the Job Description of a Medical Billing Manager?
- Medical billing managers are responsible for the daily activities of the billing office of an organization.
- Oversee a team of employees that perform the medical billing for doctor’s offices and other medical – related institutions
- Perform as a practice expert at the department on all issues relating to billing and intake processes
- Responsible for supervising the billing / intake department operations; perform duties such as charge entry, payment posting, reimbursement management, referral intake and insurance verification, claim submissions, and accounts receivable follow – up
- Responsible for carrying out audits of current procedures and processes, discover billing / intake operations areas to improve on and effect the necessary actions
- Responsible for training, allocate work, and resolve problems among billing office personnel
- Responsible for carrying out performance evaluation of personnel and recommend necessary actions
- Ensure quality and appropriate trainings are provided to newly hired and existing billing / intake staff through effect supervision and coordination of the training process, and by adhering to established company operating policies, procedures and systems, protocols, techniques, and standards
- In charge of coordinating time away requests of team members to ensure the daily functions of the department is not negatively affected
- Responsible for carrying out analysis of trends affecting coding, charges, accounts receivable, and collection, and assign manageable tasks to billing staff
- Collaborate with other departments to get and analyze additional information about patients to be able to record and process billing effectively
- Ensure the billing / intake department carries out all its activities in accordance with its overall protocol, and also that they complied with payer, State, and Federal requirements, regulations, and guidelines
- Remain updated on HIPAA and all other health information management issues and regulations
- Ensure strong team building and protocol in the billing and intake department by holding bi-weekly staff meetings
- Give report of all concerns and issues at the department to the Director of Revenue for prompt necessary action.
- Creating, communicating, and implementing the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Delegates and assign duties to Supervisors / HOD’s and observers’ performance to ensure adherence to the company’s policies and established operating procedures.
- Responsible for conducting in – house training to employees and HOD’s in the company on a regular basis.
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives; developing a climate for offering information and opinions; providing educational opportunities.
- Receives and resolved or assists the management in resolving customer’s complaints and service recovery process.
- Responsible for selecting or assisting in the selection of company staff and in charge of processing all new hire paper works.
- Responsible for reviewing employee performance and conducts personnel actions such as disciplinary actions and terminations.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate records including cash flows sheet, and direct billing etc.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Responsible for enforcing full compliance to company operating controls, SOP’s, policies, procedures and service standards.
- Responsible for performing daily, weekly and monthly office facility inspections.
- Builds strong working relationships and communications with Company staff, HOD’s and other departments to ensure maximum operating effectiveness and fulfilment of special projects / contract need.
- Responsible for Monitoring maintenance progress and FF&E (Furniture, Furnishings, and Equipment) conditions and provide status report to GM.
- Audits on par stock on all areas to make sure that all required Company supplies are ordered and stocked in advance of need.
- Responsible for Providing effective leadership to Company team members.
- Ensures effective, timely and accurate communications flow with regards to Company policies and procedures.
- Work and Assist the GM in in all aspects of business planning.
- Responsible for Corporate client handling and take part in new client acquisition along with the sales team whenever required.
- Respond to audits to ensure continual improvement is achieved.
- Show capacity to perform other duties as assigned by the management.
- Part of the disciplinary committee that sits on any case that involves employees under his / her supervision.
- Play a part as needed in the interviewing and hiring of employees
- Identifies the developmental needs of company staff and provide coaching, mentoring to improve their knowledge or skills as required.