Skip to Content

Do You Need a License to Own a Senior Placement Agency?

Yes. You will need a license to start a senior placement agency; however, note that this will vary depending on your geographical location.

In some places in the United States, you will be expected to first register your business, obtain all stipulated documents, and Medicare certification to start your business legally. Depending on the services you intend to offer, you might also be expected to attend some certification courses.

But regardless of your location, it is important you at least register your business to ensure you can do business without trouble. Obtaining all requisite licenses and permits is very vital when starting a senior placement agency.

Have it in mind that these licenses and permits are legal requirements that guarantee or prove to your clients that you are in conformance with regulations and as well show your agency’s commitment to professionalism and quality of service.

However, note that each business municipality or state will have its own specific regulations governing the operation of senior placement agencies.

You also need to understand that senior placement agencies tend to work in tandem with many other senior living communities, healthcare facilities, as well as government agencies. Have it in mind that no one would want to work with you if you don’t have the necessary authorizations.

As such, by procuring all stipulated licenses, your senior placement agency can grow its network and can connect with a vast array of resources to ensure you provide top-of-the-class services to clients.

Basic Licenses Needed to Start a Senior Placement Agency

  1. Business License

This is a must for anybody looking to do business anywhere in the United States. In some states, you will be expected to procure a business license from the state but, in others, you might be expected to get your business license in your city or county. Nevertheless, note that you won’t have to wait long for your business license to be granted.

  1. State-specific Licensing

It is important to state that there are no federal licenses for senior placement agencies in the United States. Although these enterprises are still expected to comply with some laws and obtain certain licenses, have it in mind that they are mostly at the state and local level and will depend on the location of the business.

Owing to that, it is recommended that anyone looking to start a senior placement agency take out time to research their locality and reach out to the relevant state and local government regulatory agency.

The licenses you need will depend on your location. For instance, senior placement agencies in California that offer placement services for assisted living facilities are expected to obtain a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly (RCFE) license.

  1. Home Care Agency License

A good number of senior placement agencies in the United States also offer home care services. Home care services have to do with providing professionals who help clients with daily tasks like meal preparation, medication reminders, laundry, light housekeeping, errands, shopping, transportation, and companionship.

In most places, senior placement agencies that offer such services are expected to obtain a home care agency license. Have it in mind that these licenses are more or less regulated at the state level and will necessitate adequate compliance with specific regulations.

  1. Professional Certifications

Although this isn’t really a license or permit, have it in mind that obtaining a professional certification will go a long way to prove the credibility and expertise of your agency. For instance, the National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM) provides industry-accepted certifications for persons within the senior relocation industry.


Indeed, you will have to obtain a license to start and operate a senior placement agency; however, note that this will vary depending on your geographical location.

Nevertheless, it is imperative you reach out to the necessary local authorities in your business location, as well as experienced business advisors, along with legal professionals to have a good grasp of the particular licenses and permits you need to start or operate your senior placement agency.

Also, note that these experts can also furnish you with the necessary information you need particularly about your state and local municipality. This is very important especially if you intend to attain success as a senior placement agency.