Are you about starting a maple syrup production business? If YES, here is a complete sample maple syrup production business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE. Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a maple syrup production business. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample maple syrup marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for maple syrup production companies. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- 2. Executive Summary
- 5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 6. SWOT Analysis
- 7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- 13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
Why Start a Maple Syrup Production Business?
Maple syrup is one product that has continued to be in high demand in the united states of America, and you too can decide to own a maple syrup production company. You however cannot do this without a comprehensive business plan template that can guide you.
The fact that you want your products to compete with similar products in the market place means that you would have to follow due process before pushing your product to the market. If you are convinced that you have a winning formula when it comes to producing maple syrup, then you should deliberate on launching your own maple syrup production company.
Over and above, if you have decided to start a maple syrup production company, then you should make sure that you carry out thorough feasibility studies and also market survey. This will enable you properly locate the business in a community or city with the right demography; a location that can readily accept your products. Business plan is yet another very important business document that you should not take for granted when launching your own business.
Below is a sample maple syrup production company business plan that will help you successfully launch your own business.
A Sample Maple Syrup Production Business Plan Template
1. Industry Overview
Maple syrup is a syrup that is prepared from the sugary sap of the maple tree. Maple syrup is classified as maple syrup only when it reaches a sugar level of concentration of 66 percent sugar.
Maple syrup manufacturing is classified under the syrup and flavoring production industry and operators in this industry manufacture flavoring syrup, drink concentrates and related products for soda fountains or beverage manufacturers. Please note that manufacturers, bottlers, distributors and retailers of finished beverage products, such as soda or juice are not part of this industry.
The Syrup and Flavoring Production industry manufacture beverage bases (e.g. concentrates and fountain syrups) and other flavoring syrups. A large percentage of the products produced by the industry are used in downstream manufacturing of finished beverages.
Soda producers are major buyers of industry products. While the majority of revenue is generated from finished beverage manufacturers, the trend towards vertical integration is shifting industry-relevant revenue into the Soda Production industry.
In addition, increasing health-consciousness will be a negative factor for the industry as consumers move away from consuming products high in sugar and calories. If you are a close observer of happenings in this industry, you will notice that the demand for soda has dampened in recent time due to increasing health awareness among consumers.
Statistics has it that in the United States of America alone, the Syrup & Flavoring Production industry generates over $11 billion annually from more than 364 registered and licensed big scale syrup & flavoring production (maple syrup manufacturers inclusive) businesses scattered all around the United States of America.
The industry is responsible for the employment of over 7,144 people. Experts project the syrup & flavoring production industry to grow at a 2.9 percent annual rate. Please note that Dr. Pepper Snapple Group Inc., PepsiCo and The Coca-Cola Company are the companies with the lion share of the industry.
A recent report published by IBISWorld shows that the barriers to entry in this industry are high, as the industry is dominated by the world’s most valuable and high-profile beverage brands: the Coca-Cola Company (TCCC), PepsiCo and Dr. Pepper Snapple (DPS).
Potential industry operators will have trouble entering the soda concentrate segment of this industry due to the high degree of brand loyalty consumers feel toward these products as well as the well-established and legally binding distribution networks that these major players experience.
TCCC and PepsiCo are also often owners or major stakeholders in bottling operations, representing another possible barrier to entry for outside operators, as the established companies manage or can influence the operations of bottlers.
All over the world, the syrup & flavor production industry is highly regulated because the devastating effect of fake syrups and flavors can’t be quantified. As a matter of fact, there are several universal laws and regulations that govern the patenting, testing, safety, efficacy and marketing of syrups and flavors.
For example, in the United States, new syrups and flavor products must be approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as being both safe and effective before they can be allowed to go into the market. If you are contemplating starting your own maple syrup manufacturing business in the United States, you should ensure that you carry out a thorough market survey and feasibility studies.
If you get some key factors wrong before starting your own maple syrup manufacturing business, then you are likely going to struggle to stay afloat. But over and above, maple syrup manufacturing business is a profitable business especially if you are creative and ready to take on the available market within the location where your business is.
2. Executive Summary
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is a licensed syrup and flavoring production company that will be located in Fort Smith – Arkansas. We have been able to secure a long term lease for a facility in a strategic location with an option of a long term renewal on terms and conditions that are favorable to us.
The facility has government approval for the kind of production business we want to run and the facility is easily accessible. We are deliberate about that because we want to facilitate easy movement of raw materials and finished products.
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is in the syrup and flavoring production industry to produce widely accepted beverage bases (e.g. concentrates and fountain syrups) and other flavoring syrups products. We are also in business to make profits and to give our customers value for their money.
We are aware that there are several maple syrup production companies scattered all around the United States, which is why we spent time and resources to conduct our feasibility studies and market survey so as to enable us locate the business in an area that can easily accept our products and brand.
We ensured that our facility is easy to locate and we have mapped out plans to develop a far reaching distribution network for wholesalers of beverage base drink products all around Forth Smith – Arkansas and throughout the United States of America.
Beyond producing quality maple syrup, our customer care is going to be second to none. We know that our customers are the reason why we are in business which is why we will go the extra mile to get them satisfied when they purchase our maple syrup and other flavoring products.
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company will ensure that all our distributors are given first class treatment whenever they visit our factory. We have a CRM software that will enable us manage a one on one relationship with our customers (wholesale distributors) no matter how large they are.
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is family business that will be owned by Dr. Bruno Mason and his immediate family members. Dr. Bruno Mason who is the Chief Executive Officer of the Company is a Graduate of Biochemistry and he holds a Master’s Degree in Business Management. He has over 25 years’ experience working in related industry as a director prior to starting Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company.
3. Our Products and Services
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is going to run a standard maple syrup production company whose products will not only be sold in Fort Smith – Arkansas but also throughout the United States of America and Canada.
We are in the syrup and flavoring industry to make profits and also to give our customers value for their money. These are some of the products that we will be offering;
- Liquid beverage bases for soft drinks
- Flavoring syrup for fountain drinks and desert toppings
- Fruit flavoring (crushed or whole) for toppings
- Juice concentrate for fountain beverages
- Other flavoring agents
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our vision is to establish standard maple syrup production Company whose products will be not only be sold in Fort Smith – Arkansas, but also throughout the United States of America, Canada and Mexico.
- Our mission is to establish a standard maple production Company that will favorably compete with leaders in the industry. We want to build a business that will be listed amongst the top 30 syrup and flavoring product brands in the United States of America, Canada and Mexico.
Our Business Structure
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is established with the aim of competing with other leading syrup and flavoring product brands in the industry. This is why we will ensure that we put the right structures in place that will support the kind of growth that we have in mind while setting up the business.
We will make sure that we only hire people that are qualified, health – conscious, honest, hardworking, customer centric and are ready to work to help us build a prosperous business. In view of that, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Executive Officer (Owner)
- Plant Manager
- Human Resources and Admin Manager
- Merchandize Manager
- Sales and Marketing Manager
- Machine Operators
- Distribution Truck Drivers
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – CEO (Owner):
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives.
- Fixes prices and signs business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Accountable for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization.
- Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of the maple syrup production plant
- Part of the team that determines the quantity and quality of maple syrups and other flavoring products that are to be produced
- Map out strategies that will lead to efficiency amongst workers in the plant
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of plant workers
- Ensures that the steady flow of both raw sugar and other raw materials to the plant and easy flow of finished products through wholesale distributors to the market
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Ensures that the plant meets the expected safety and health standard at all times.
Human Resources and Admin Manager
- Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- Defines job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carries out induction for new team members
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- Oversees the smooth running of the daily office and factory activities.
- Manages vendor relations, market visits, and the ongoing education and development of the organizations’ buying teams
- Responsible for the purchase of raw maple syrup
Sales and Marketing Manager
- Manage external research and coordinate all the internal sources of information to retain the organizations’ best customers and attract new ones
- Identify, prioritize, and reach out to new partners, and business opportunities et al
- Develops, executes and evaluates new plans for expanding sales
- Documents all customer contact and information
- Represents the company in strategic meetings
- Helps to increase sales and growth for the company
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analysis, development budgets, and accounting reports
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensures compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the organization
- Serves as internal auditor for the organization
Client Service Executive
- Welcomes guests and clients by greeting them in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Ensures that all contacts with clients (e-mail, walk-In center, SMS or phone) provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with clients on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the company’s products and services
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on the company’s products, promotional campaigns etc. to ensure accurate and helpful information is supplied to clients
- Receives parcels / documents for the company
- Distributes mails in the organization
- Handles any other duties as assigned by the line manager
Production Workers/Machine Operators:
- Operates machines that are used in the production of maple syrup and other flavoring products
- Assists in packaging and loading maple syrup and other flavoring products into distribution trucks.
Distribution Truck Drivers
- Assists in loading and unloading maple syrup and other flavoring products
- Maintains a logbook of their driving activities to ensure compliance with federal regulations governing the rest and work periods for operators.
- Keeps a record of vehicle inspections and make sure the truck is equipped with safety equipment
- Assists the transport and logistics manager in planning their route according to a delivery schedule.
- Transports finished goods and raw materials over land to and from manufacturing plants or retail and distribution centers
- Inspect vehicles for mechanical items and safety issues and perform preventative maintenance
- Complies with truck driving rules and regulations (size, weight, route designations, parking, break periods etc.) as well as with company policies and procedures
- Collects and verifies delivery instructions
- Reports defects, accidents or violations
6. SWOT Analysis
We are quite aware that there are several maple syrup product manufacturing companies in the United States of America which is why we are following the due process of establishing a business so as to compete favorable with them.
We know that if a proper SWOT analysis is conducted for our business, we will be able to position our business to maximize our strength, leverage on the opportunities that will be available to us, mitigate our risks and be equipped to confront our threats.
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company employed the services of an expert HR and Business Analyst with bias in startup business to help us conduct a thorough SWOT analysis and to help us create a Business model that will help us achieve our business goals and objectives.
This is the summary of the SWOT analysis that was conducted for Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company;
Part of what is going to count as positives for Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is the vast experience of our management team, and the fact that we have people on board who understand how to run a business. So also our closeness to several maple tree plantations, large national distribution network and of course our excellent customer service culture will definitely count as a strong strength for the business.
A major weakness that may count against us is the fact that we are a new maple syrup production company and we don’t have the financial capacity to engage in the kind of publicity that we intend giving the business.
The opportunities available to maple syrup manufacturing companies with a wide range of products are enormous because almost all Americans flavored beverages on a daily basis. As a result of that, we were able to conduct a thorough market survey and feasibility studies so as to position our business to take advantage of the existing market for maple syrup.
We are quite aware that just like any other business, one of the major threats that we are likely going to face is economic downturn and unfavorable government policies. It is a fact that economic downturn affects purchasing power. Another threat that may likely confront us is the arrival of a new maple syrup production company or other syrup and flavoring related product manufacturing company in same location where ours is located.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
If you are conversant with the existing trend in the syrup and flavoring production industry, you will quite agree that despite the fact that there are competitions in different stages of the industry, that most maple syrup production company are leveraging creativity in terms of packaging and marketing to continue to stay afloat in the industry.
In addition, increasing health-consciousness will be a negative factor for the industry as consumers move away from consuming products high in sugar and calories. If you are a close observer of happenings in this industry, you will notice that the demand for soda has dampened in recent time and this is due to increased health awareness among consumers.
Lastly, the maple syrup production industry adopts an eco – friendly approach when producing and packaging its products. The industry’s adoption of eco-friendly practices will likely persuade environmentally conscious consumers to buy its products, while increasing operators’ efficiency.
8. Our Target Market
When it comes to selling maple syrup, there is indeed a wide range of available customers. In view of that, we have conducted our market research and we have ideas of what our target market would be expecting from us. We are in business to engage in wholesale distribution of our maple syrups to the following groups of people;
- Soda Drinks Production Companies
- Smoothie and Juice Drinks Production Companies
- Finished Beverage Manufacturers
- Carbonated Drinks Production Companies
From time immemorial, the syrup and flavoring industry is known to be highly competitive especially when big names like Dr. Pepper Snapple Group Inc., PepsiCo and Coca-Cola Company are participating in the industry. As a matter of fact, you have to be highly creative, customer centric and proactive if you must survive in this industry. We are aware of the stiff competition and we are prepared to compete favorably with other companies in Fort Smith – Arkansas and throughout the United States.
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is launching a standard maple syrup brand that will indeed become the preferred choice of businesses in Fort Smith – Arkansas and every city where our maple syrup and flavoring products will be retailed.
Part of what is going to count as competitive advantage for Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is the vast experience of our management team, we have people on board who understand how to run an effective business. So also closeness to some of the largest maple tree plantations, our large and far reaching national distribution network and of course our excellent customer service culture will definitely count as a strong strength for the business.
Lastly, our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the syrup and flavoring product production industry, meaning that they will be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our aims and objectives. We will also give good working conditions and commissions to freelance sales agents that we will recruit from time to time.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is established with the aim of maximizing profits in the syrup and flavoring industry in both the United States of America. We will generate income by supplying the following products;
- Liquid beverage bases for soft drinks
- Flavoring syrup for fountain drinks and desert toppings
- Fruit flavoring (crushed or whole) for toppings
- Juice concentrate for fountain beverages
- Other flavoring agents
10. Sales Forecast
When it comes to the maple syrup production company, if your products are well – packaged and branded and if your production plant is centrally positioned and easily accessible, you will always attract sales and that will sure translate to increase in revenue generation for the business.
We are well positioned to take on the available market in every city where our products will be sold and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough income from the first six months of operations and grow the business and our clientele base.
We have been able to examine the syrup and flavoring products production industry, we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast.
- First Fiscal Year: $450,000
- Second Fiscal Year: $750,000
- Third Fiscal Year: $1.2 Million
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor offering same products as we do within same location. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Before choosing a location to start Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company, we conducted a thorough market survey and feasibility studies in order for us to be able to be able to penetrate the available market in our target market locations.
We have detailed information and data that we were able to utilize to structure our business to attract the number of customers we want to attract per time and also for our products to favorable compete with other leading maple syrup brands in the United States of America and Canada.
We hired experts who have good understanding of the syrup and flavoring industry to help us develop marketing strategies that will help us achieve our business goal of winning a larger percentage of the available market in Fort Smith – Arkansas and other cities in the United States of America.
In summary, Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company will adopt the following sales and marketing approach to sell our maple syrup and flavoring products;
- Introduce our maple syrup brand by sending introductory letters to soda drinks production companies, smoothie and juice drinks production companies, finished beverage manufacturers, carbonated drinks production companies, retailers and other stakeholders in Fort Smith – Arkansas and in the United States of America
- Advertise our products in community based newspapers, local TV and radio stations
- List our business and products on yellow pages ads (local directories)
- Leverage on the internet to promote our maple syrup brands
- Engage in direct marketing and sales
- Encourage the use of Word of mouth marketing (referrals)
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company has a long term plan of distributing our products in various locations in the United States of America, Canada and Mexico which is why we will deliberately build our brand to be well accepted first in Fort Smith – Arkansas before venturing out.
Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company;
- Place adverts on both print (community based newspapers and magazines) and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook, twitter, et al to promote our maple syrup brand
- Install our billboards on strategic locations all around major cities in the United States of America, Canada and Mexico
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
- Position our Flexi Banners at strategic positions in the location where we intend getting customers to start patronizing our products.
- Ensure that our products are well branded and that all our staff members wear our customized clothes, and all our official cars and distribution vans are customized and well branded.
12. Our Pricing Strategy
We are aware of the pricing trend in the syrup and flavoring industry which is why we have decided to produce various sizes of maple syrup and flavoring products.
In view of that, our prices will conform to what is obtainable in the industry but will ensure that within the first 6 to 12 months our products are sold a little bit below the average price of various brands in the United States of America. We have put in place business strategies that will help us run on low profits for a period of 6 months; it is a way of encouraging people to buy into our brands.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company will make available to her clients;
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment via credit cards / Point of Sale Machines (POS Machines)
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
- Payment via bank draft
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our clients make payment for products purchased without any stress on their part.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
Starting a standard maple syrup production company is indeed a capital intensive business because the amount required in setting up a maple syrup production plant is not little. The bulk of the startup capital will be spent on leasing or acquiring a facility and also in purchasing evaporating machine/steamer, sugar extractor, stirring tank, bottling / canning machines, a mini lab and good drainage system.
You would also purchase distribution trucks, purchasing raw materials, paying of your employees and utility bills. These are the key areas where we will spend our startup capital;
- The Total Fee for registering the business in the United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $1,300.
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company in the amount of $3,500 and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of – $3,580.
- The cost for hiring Business Consultant – $2,500.
- The cost for insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400.
- The cost for payment of rent for 12 months at $1.76 per square feet in the total amount of $210,300.
- The cost for construction of a standard maple syrup production plant – $100,000.
- Other start-up expenses including stationery ($500) and phone and utility deposits ($2,500).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $100,000
- The cost for Start-up inventory (evaporating machine / steamer, sugar extractor, stirring tank, bottling / canning machines, a mini lab and good drainage system, supply of raw sugarcane, and packaging materials et al) – $80,000
- Cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $13,750
- Cost of purchase of distribution vans – $60,000
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, Fax Machines, tables and chairs et al) – $4,000.
- The cost of launching a website – $600
- Miscellaneous – $10,000
We would need an estimate of $500,000 to successfully set up our maple syrup production plant in Fort Smith – Arkansas.
Generating Startup Capital for Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is a family business that is owned and financed by Dr. Bruno Mason and his immediate family members. They do not intend to welcome any external business partner which is why he has decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital to 3 major sources.
These are the areas we intend generating our startup capital;
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings and sell of stocks
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from the bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $200,000 (Personal savings $150,000 and soft loan from family members $50,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $300,000 from the bank. All the papers and documents have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited with the amount.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of any business lies in the number of loyal customers that they have, the capacity and competence of their employees, their investment strategy and business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business, then it won’t be too long before the business closes shop.
One of our major goals of starting Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without the need for injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running.
We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to retail our maple syrup and flavoring products a little bit cheaper than what is obtainable in the market and we are prepared to survive on lower profit margin for a while.
Dr. Bruno® Maple Syrup Manufacturing Company will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and retraining of our workforce is at the top burner.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of three years or more. We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Leasing of facility and construction of standard maple syrup production plant: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members and friends: Completed
- Application for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of the Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of production machines and office equipment: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – wholesalers, suppliers and merchants: In Progress