Do you want to start a bakery at home and need to write a business plan? If YES, here is a detailed sample bakery business plan template & feasibility report.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a bakery. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample bakery marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for bakery businesses.
We all love to have a bite of some baked meals; be it pastries, cakes, cupcakes and what have you. Would it be okay then to say that baked stuff is in high demand? Without a shadow of doubt, indeed, baked foods are always in high demand. This is no wonder that those who have stayed long in the trade can authoritatively boast of making millions in a month or less.
Bakery business is one business that one that doesn’t have an inkling about how to bake, can go get trained, practice, start a business and within a short space of time get good returns on investment. Here is a sample bakery business plan that can readily come in handy as you plan to write yours.
A Sample Home Bakery Business Plan Template
Table of Content
- 1 Industry Overview
- 2 Bakery Business Plan Executive Summary
- 3 Our Product and Services
- 4 Bakery Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 5 Bakery Business SWOT Analysis
- 6 Bakery Business MARKET ANALYSIS
- 7 Bakery Business SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- 8 Bakery Business Publicity and Advertising Strategy
- 9 Our Startup Budget & Expenditure
- 10 Bakery Business Financial Projection
- 11 Bakery Business Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The bakery industry has come a long way, and will continue to evolve with countless of bakers bringing creativity into the industry. The Baked foods production has been in existence for tens of centuries. In the true sense of the word, it has been around for over two thousand years.
If per chance there is a doubt about this; then perhaps there would be a need to take a look at the bible era. One of the predominant meals that was widely talked about in the bible was the bread. So, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that those of old have been able to successfully pass the art from one generation to another generation.
The Romans who generally like baked foods are actually the people who improvised and developed the baking of foods commercially – bakeries. In nearly all their occasions; ranging from mere feasts to weddings, they are known to always celebrate with baked foods.
As such, they may be accorded the praise of being the ones who introduced bakery as an occupation and they achieved this around 300 BC. After this significant milestone was achieved, the drastic appeal for baked goods increased throughout Europe and expanded into the eastern parts of Asia.
At that point, bakers started baking breads and goods from their kitchens and thereafter took to the streets to have them sold out. Selling of baked foods became the trend and before too long, baked products were getting hawked in streets of Rome, Germany, London and Paris et al.
Over time, bakeries no longer had to rely solely on retailing their baked breads and snacks in the streets, in the open market or via home deliveries, but could now move ahead to open their bakery stores for customers to come in and order for their freshly baked bread and other foods. History has it that Paris in France happens to be the first city in the world to have started open air bakery.
Bread and all flour based foods are generally consumed by almost everybody in our planet; as such, anyone who chooses to establish a bakery in any part of the world is sure going to get good returns on his or her investment, as long as they are doing the right things when it comes to running a business.
Aside from bread which seems to be the face of the bakery industry, cake is also one of the products of the bakery commerce that is doing pretty well in the market all over the world. Yes, people eat bread and other flour made snacks on a daily basis, but you would quite agree that cake making is also one of the major money spinners for bakers.
Although not all bakers are specialized in cake making, but those who are into the art, alongside bread and other snacks, are the ones who seem to be maximizing the bakery industry. The fact that people order for cakes during their special events like birthday parties, wedding ceremonies, wedding anniversaries, and other memorable occasions, makes the bakery business a high – in – demand business.
Bakery Business Plan Executive Summary
Top Taste Confectionaries® is a leading bakery business based in Orlando Florida, USA. It covers a wide range of clients both domestic and corporate clients. We are a unique bakery brand because we do not just sell breads, cakes, and snacks, amongst others, but we also run a standard and accredited bakery school in Florida. Furthermore, we offer consultancy services in line with our area of business.
Top Taste Confectionaries was established by the awarding winning baker – Dr. Victoria Kingsley who has B.Sc. Food Science Technology and a Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA). She has a robust experience in the food and confectionaries business having worked both in the public sector and the private sector before starting her own business – Top Taste Confectionaries® in Orlando Florida.
Because of our goal of becoming one of the top 5 bakery companies in the United States of America, we are willing to go the extra mile to invest in some of the finest bakers we can find, as well as set plans in place to acquire the best of equipment when it comes to setting up a standard bakery. Our Ovens are customized to fit into the kind of ideas we have of how a first class bakery business should look like.
When it comes to hygiene, we have put plans, processes and structures in place that will ensure that we are always at the top of our game when it comes to that. Essentially, we have been able to secure permits from all relevant departments in Florida.
Top Taste Confectioneries is set to redefine how bakery business should be run, not just in Orlando, Florida, but also in the whole of the United States of America. That is why we have put plans in place for continuous training of all our employees at regular interval and also liaising with stake holders in the industry to contribute our quotas in the way bakery ovens and equipment should be designed and fabricated to meet the ever changing demand of the industry.
No doubt the demand for breads, cakes and snacks is not going to plummet any time soon, which is why we have put plans in place to continue to explore all available market around the cities where our bakeries are located and ensure that we create a wide range of distribution channels. With that all in check, we know that we will be able to get good returns on our investment.
Our strongest selling point at Top Taste Confectioneries is the unique taste of all our products. There is hardly any customer that comes across any of our products by way of taste, who wouldn’t want to come back to make more purchases. Without mincing words, we take delight in welcoming repeat customers over and over again.
At Top Taste Confectioneries, we pay attention to our small clients as well as the big clients. This is because we are into retailing and wholesale distribution. Our bakeries are opened to customers to purchase hot baked breads and also our distribution vans are all over the cities where our bakery outlets are located.
Our Product and Services
At Top Taste Confectioneries®, we deal in all forms of baked foods; assorted breads to cakes and snacks et al. We do not intend to restrict our services to only the supply of our products to stores who will eventually retail them, but we intend to open the doors of our bakery in different parts of the country to customers who would prefer fresh hot baked bread direct from the oven.
As part our strategy to create multiple sources of income in line with our core business concept, we will run a consultancy service and a standard government approved bakery school where we intend producing top class bakers who will become our ambassador in the United States of America and in Canada. Here are some of our products and services-:
- Flour Bread
- Wheat Bread
- Fruit Bread
- Scotch egg
- Meat Pie
- Consultancy Services
Our Mission and Vision Statement
- To be amongst the top 5 leading bakery companies in the United States of America before our 5th anniversary.
- To build a bakery business that will meet the needs of all our customers and potential customers in the regions / cities where we have our outlets.
Our Business Structure
As part of plans to build a top flight bakery company in Florida, we have perfected plans to get it right from the outset, which is why we are going the extra mile to ensure that we have competent employees to occupy all the available positions in our company.
The picture of the kind of bakery business we intend building and the goals we want to achieve is what has informed the amount we are ready to pay for the best hands available in the bakery industry. This is as long as they are willing and ready to work with us to achieve our business goals and objectives.
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Baker
- Assistant Bakers
- Admin and Personnel Manager
- Sales and Marketing Officer
- Accountants / Cashiers
- Drivers / Distributors
- Security Officers
Bakery Job Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – CEO:
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Creating, communicating, and implementing the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Responsible for the day to day running of the business
- Responsible for handling high profile clients and deals
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for recruitment
- Responsible for payment of salaries
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
- Reports to the board
- Responsible for managing the daily activities in the restaurant
- Ensures that the bakery facility is in tip top shape and conducive enough to welcome customers
- Interfaces with third – party providers (vendors)
- Reports to the Chief Executive Officer
- Attends to Customers complains and enquiries
- Prepares budget and reports for the organization
- Any other duty as assigned by the CEO
- Responsible for preparing different flavor and style for all our bakery products
- Make lists and budget for bakery supplies
- Oversees the entire bakery process
- Responsible for training new bakers
- Makes sure that quality in maintained at all times
Sales and Marketing Officer:
- Responsible for marketing the company’s products and services
- Responsible for promoting the company
- Responsible for creating marketing and sales strategies, etc.
- Represents the organization in some strategic business meetings
- Ensures that our wholesale Customers get supplies of our products as at when due
- Any other duty as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer / Bakery manager
Accountant / Cashier:
- Receives payments on behalf of the restaurant
- Issues receipt to customers
- Prepares financial report at the end of every working week
- Handles all financial transaction on behalf of the restaurant
- Interfaces with our bankers
- Responsible for payment of tax, levies and utility bills
- Any other duty as assigned by the CEO / restaurant manager
Distribution Van Drivers:
- Delivers customer’s orders promptly
- Runs errand for the organization
- Any other duty as assigned by the sales and marketing executive / bakery manage
- Ensures that the facility is secure at all time
- Controls traffic and organize parking
- Gives security tips to staff members from time to time
- Patrols around the building on a 24 hours basis
- Submits security reports weekly
- Any other duty as assigned by the restaurant manager
- Responsible for cleaning the restaurant facility at all times
- Ensures that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Cleans both the interior and exterior of the building
- Any other duty as assigned by the restaurant manager
Bakery Business SWOT Analysis
In view of that, we were able to take stock of our strengths, our weakness, our opportunities and also the threats that we are likely going to be exposed to in Florida and even in the United States of America as a whole. Here is a preview of what we got from the critically conducted SWOT Analysis for Top Taste Confectionaries™;
Our strength lies in the fact that we have a wide range of products that can meet the needs of a wide range of customers. We have state of the art facility and equipment that has positioned us to meet the demand of products even if the demand tripled over night or if we had a massive order to meet and emergency delivery deadline.
Another factor that counts to our advantage is the background of our Chief Executive Offices; she has a robust experience in the industry and also a pretty good academic qualification to match the experience acquired which has placed her amongst the top flight bakers in the United States of America. We are not ignoring the fact that offering consultancy services and running a standard and accredited bakery institute is definitely going to count as a positive for us.
The fact that we are setting up a bakery business in a city with other bakeries might likely pose a challenge for us in breaking into the already saturated bakery business in Orlando, Florida. In essence our chosen location might be our weakness. Nevertheless, we have plans to launch out with a big bang. We know with that, we will be able to create a positive impression and we have a proper handle when it comes to building on already gather momentum.
The opportunities available to us are unlimited. Loads of people consume breads, cakes and snacks on a daily basis, and all what we are going to do to push our products to them is already perfected. There are also loads of people who might want to learn how to bake; as a result, they can readily find our government approved bakery institute highly ideal for them to fulfill that goal.
The threat that is likely going to confront us is the fact that we are competing with already established bakeries in Orlando, Florida, and also there are other entrepreneurs who are likely going to launch similar businesses within the same location we plan to launch out from. Of course, we for see that they will compete with us in winning over the available market. Another threat that we may likely be faced with is the area of government policies.
Bakery Business MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
When it comes to breads, cakes, and snacks etc., everyone may want to quite agree that the market trend changes with rapid astonishment. This is why we invested time to create a sample bakery marketing plan template. Bakers are seriously researching and creating flavors and varieties that will keep them afloat in the bakery business.
Any baker who wants to remain relevant in the scheme of things in the industry must be willing to explore the ‘bakery world’; he or she must be able to come up with a product that tastes unique from what is readily available in the present market.
In view of the above stated fact, we have hired the best of hands available in Florida to work with us in becoming a pacesetter when it comes to exploring and producing products with tastes that can meet the demand of the markets that is available to us in the cities where our bakeries are located. Part of the marketing and sales strategies that we will adopt include but not limited to the following;
- Open our bakery with a bang – big party
- Neighborhood, door to door and mouth to ear mode of advertisement to introduce our business
- Engage in road shows ( make some open air noise) to introduce our business
- Create same products in different sizes, with different prices and perhaps a little lower that the prices of similar products in the market
- Start a TV show in line with our business goal and objectives
- Sponsor relevant events, such as bakery competitions and wedding shows on TV et al.
Our Target Market
We are quite aware that the target market for bakery products cut across people of all walks of life. Since everybody needs food to survive; we are prepared to meet the needs of as much people as we can, within the various locations our bakeries will be located.
It is indeed difficult to create a list of the people we intend selling our bakery products to. because everybody needs what we have to offer except for our trainings and consultancy services. Here are just a few of the people / places that we intend selling our products and services to:
- Families (Homes)
- Schools (boarding house and campus et al)
- Groceries Stores
- Shopping Malls
- Wedding Ceremonies
- Event Planners
- Sport Centers
- Corporate Organizations
- Aspiring Entrepreneurs (Those who want to learn baking)
Our Competitive Advantage
There is hardly any city in the United States and perhaps in other parts of the world where there isn’t at least one bakery. People eat bread, cakes and snacks in all parts of the world and as such loads of people are already running their bakery businesses. We are not ignorant of the fact that there are standard bakeries in Orlando, Florida, but that will not deter us from forging ahead to set – up our own bakery company.
Top Taste Confectionaries has couple of factors that is counting as a positive for us; our competitive advantage in the market place. One of our competitive advantage is that we are one of the few bakery companies that is not only involved in the sale of breads, cakes and snacks but also operate a government accredited bakery school where professional bakers are hatched and sent forth to start their own bakery business or manage their homes properly.
The fact that we offer consultancy services in line with what we do, gives us an edge over other bakery companies in the United States of America. We are of the view that if we are able to get it right from the outset, it will likely take us less time than projected for us to be amongst the top 5 bakery company in the whole of the United States of America.
Bakery Business SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
We are quite aware that the market for breads, cakes and snacks is on the increase and won’t plummet anytime soon, and we are also aware that loads of entrepreneurs in Florida are into the sale of almost all the products that we have on our stable, save for the consultancy services that we render and the bakery institute that we operates.
In view of that, we have been able to work out plans that will help us win a large percentage of the available market in the cities where our bakeries located. For the reason of the business goals that we have set for ourselves at Top Taste Confectionaries, we will continue to explore and improvise, so that we will remain relevant in the market place.In nut a shell, we will explore the following marketing and sales strategies to promote our bakery business;
- Direct Marketing
- Via Our Sponsored TV Programs and Community Based Events
- Erect Our Billboards in Strategic locations around the city
- Sales Reps
- Online Marketing (via our official website, social media platforms and blog et al)
- Referral Marketing
- Promotion of our products during our training sessions in our Bakery Institute
Our Pricing Strategy
Part of our strategy for entering the market is to leverage on pricing in gaining a good percentage of the available market. The fact that we are going to be selling our products a little bit below the market price does not in any way mean that we will compromise our quality and quantity.
As a matter of fact, we have perfected strategies to ensure that we are shoulders higher than our competitors in terms of quality and quantity. The prices of our products will be the cheapest anybody can get in the whole of Orlando, Florida and the cities where we intend establishing our bakeries.
- Payment Options
Our payment policy is all inclusive, because we are quite aware that different people prefer different payment options as it suits them. Here are the payment options that will be available in every of our outlets;
- Payment by cash
- Payment via Point of Sale (POS) Machine
- Payment via online bank transfer (preferably for those that will order our products and would want us to deliver it to them, those who want to attend our bakery institute training, as well as for payment for our consultancy services)
- Payment via check (preferably for those who will order our products and would want us to deliver it to them, those that want to attend our bakery institute training, as well as for payment for our consultancy services)
- Payment via Mobile money
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will help us achieve our plans without any hitches.
Bakery Business Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Bakery business especially products like breads and confectionaries might not necessarily need huge budget for publicity and advertisement. As a matter of fact if you the packaging of your bakery products are cool and the quality and quantity is in order, you wouldn’t struggle to sell your products.
Aside from our consultancy services and bakery institute, we don’t intend to spend huge amount for publicity and advertisement. We have perfected plans to maximize the recourse we have, to get the result (sales) that we require to make profits and expand the business. Here are the platforms we intend making use of to promote and advertise our business;
- Place adverts on both print and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook , Badoo, et al
- Install our Bill Boards on strategic locations
- Engage in road shows from time to time
- Distribute our fliers and handbills to targeted areas from time to time
Our Startup Budget & Expenditure
- The Total Fee for Registering the Business in Florida: $750.
- The budget for insurance, permits and license: $5,000
- The Amount needed to acquire a suitable Facility for 6 months in Orlando, Florida (face lifting of the facility inclusive): $75,000.
- The Cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (fridges, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al): $20,000.
- The Cost for Bakery Equipment (Standard commercial oven, Proof boxes, Baking Sheets and Racks, Mixers, Work Tables, Sinks, Slicers, Scales, Cake decorating Tools, Ingredient Bins and baking utensils et al): $15,000
- The Cost for supply of flours, sugar, margarine, packaging materials and wheat et al for a month: $5,000.
- The Cost of Launching a Website: $600
- The cost for our opening party: $5,000
- Additional Expenditure (Business cards, Signage, Adverts and Promotions et al): $5,000
Going by the report from our research and feasibility studies, we will need an average $250,000 to set up a standard bakery in Orlando, Florida. From our projections, we are likely going to start making profits after the first 3 years of setting up the business and we have put plans in place to take care of the overhead and operational cost.
Bakery Business Financial Projection
- Sources of Income
Cash flow is the lifeline of any business, which is why we have put plans in place to ensure that we have assorted bakery products that will guarantee that we generate enough income for the business. No doubt without sales – income, a business will definitely fold up and close shop.
We don’t intend to build a business that will struggle to pay the salaries of its workforce (overhead) and also struggle to maintain operational cost. Top Taste Confectionaries is set to take the market by storm with the variety of products we have on our stable. Here are the sources we have put in place to generate resources for Top Taste Confectionaries;
- Selling breads, cakes and snacks (wholesale and retailing)
- Offering home delivery services to our customers
- Recruiting, training and allocation of bakers to our clients (part of our consultancy services)
- Running a top notch government approved bakery institute in Orlando, Florida
- Offering consultancy services in line with our business goal
- Sales of drinks in all of our bakeries
It is important to state that our sales forecast is based on the data gathered during our feasibility studies and also some of the assumptions readily available on the field. This is for sales projections based on the operation of just one bakery outlet in Orlando, Florida.
Bread (Wheat, Flour Bread, Fruit Bread and all flavors and types of Bread on our stable:
- 5,000 Loaves of Bread Per Day
Snacks (Sandwich, Meat Pie, Scotch egg, Pizza, Burger, and Fish Pie et al):
- 10,000 pieces of snacks per day
Sales of Soft Drinks:
- On the average over 90% of people who purchase snacks are likely going to purchase soft drinks as well
- This equates to 9,000 bottles / cans / pet plastics of soft drinks
Sale / Supply of Cakes:
- 500 cakes per day
N.B: This projection is inclusive of the products we are likely going to sell in our outlets and the products we are to supply to other outlets / wholesale customers who in turn will retail our products. So, it might be a bit challenging to place a specific amount that we are likely going to make from the sales.
Please note that this projection is based on the first 6 months of opening shop to the general public meaning that the quantity of sales we make may likely double or triple after this 6 months.
Generating Funding / Startup Capital for Top Taste Confectionaries
We don’t have the intention of bringing business partners outside the family to invest in the business, which is why we have restricted raising our startup capital to;
- Generate part of the start – up capital from personal
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from the bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $150,000 and we are at the final stage of obtaining a loan of $100,000 from our bank. All the papers and document have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited.
Bakery Business Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
We don’t have the plans to invest hugely in our bakery business and watch the business fold up or struggle to make progress. We have perfected our strategies on sustainability and expansion. Part of what we will do to stay relevant in the bakery business is to strive to maintain or increase of quality and quantity, to run bakery trainings and also offer consultancy services. We have perfected plans to triple our sales every year and we also have plans to open different outlets of our bakery in different locations in Florida and other key cities in the United States of America.
Check List / Milestone
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Renting of Facility and Construction of the Bakery: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members and friends: Completed
- Applications for Loan: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging Marketing / Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of c employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the Needed furniture, electronic appliances and bakery equipment: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and in the neighborhood: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement: In Progress
- Opening party / launching party: In Progress
- Compilation of our list of products and detailed recipe: Completed
- Arrangement for trainers and training facility: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – suppliers of all our needed raw materials: In Progress
- Purchase of delivery vans: Completed
- How to Get HVAC Technician & Contractors License in Arkansas - March 22, 2020
- How to Get HVAC Technician & Contractors License in Alabama - March 22, 2020
- 50 Best Recession Proof Business ideas & Industries for 2020 - March 22, 2020