Yes, you can sell medical equipment on eBay, but it is not a good idea to list or sell medicine or medical equipment on eBay, as they can be a liability for eBay and the seller. eBay has strict rules surrounding the sale of medicine. The sale of prescription drugs or drugs containing prescription-strength amounts of medication is completely prohibited.
Over-the-counter medication containing non-prescription strength drugs can be sold on eBay, but you are expected to clearly state the concentration of the drug in the description and it cannot be expired before the buyer gets it. The company once stated that it is not in its role to oversee the buying and selling of medical devices on its service. “We don’t take responsibility for items sold on the site, we’re merely a marketplace.”
With 182 million active buyers, eBay is one of the largest online marketplaces in the world, and one of the most visited shopping platforms in the United States. That makes it a great place to earn extra cash as selling on eBay can bring in money with little to no upfront investment.
eBay requires sellers of medical devices that are state or federally regulated to include a disclaimer saying that buyers should not bid on the medical device unless they are an authorized purchaser. The company has always maintained that it is the seller’s duty to confirm that the buyer is authorized to make the purchase. What, then, constitutes an authorized purchaser? That question should go to the Food and Drug Administration.
EBay’s Policy on the Sale of Medical Equipment/Devices
Indeed eBay has policies that help to protect the safety of its members while ensuring that important government regulations are followed. These policies include;
Equipment Not Allowed
On eBay, a medical device that requires a prescription can’t be sold on eBay, including:
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure machines (CPAP)
- Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS) units, and any accessories that require a prescription
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulators (TENS), and any accessories that require a prescription
- Oxygen concentrators, compressors, or conservers, and any accessories that require a prescription
- Nebulizers and their accessories
- Pulse oximeters that require a prescription
- Implantable devices, such as pacemakers, heart valves, vascular grafts, ventricular bypass devices, and implantable infusion pumps
- Needles, with or without a disposable syringe, and items that have passed their expiration date are also prohibited.
- Listings are expected to state in the item description if the device has been opened or used: Used items have to also be properly cleaned and they must not be altered in any way that changes the performance or safety specifications of the device
- The item description should clearly state the product expiration date and the items must reach the buyer before the expiration date
- Some medical devices can only be sold with government authorization. Listings for these items must follow the rules like being Items listed in the Business & Industrial > Healthcare, Lab & Dental category.
- Also, note that the following information are expected to be included in the item description:
- The seller’s name, city, state, and telephone number
- The seller’s business name, if applicable
- A statement that the item has been cleaned and handled in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions
- A copy of the following statement: “The sale of this item may be subject to regulation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and state and local regulatory agencies. If so, do not bid on this item unless you are an authorized purchaser. If the item is subject to FDA regulation, I will verify your status as an authorized purchaser of this item before shipping of the item.”
- Listings for hearing aids are expected to include the following FDA disclaimer: “According to the FDA, it is in your best health interest to obtain a professional medical evaluation before purchasing a hearing aid and you are encouraged to do so before bidding on this item. If you choose to not obtain a medical evaluation before purchasing this item, I am required by law to provide to you and obtain from you a signed written waiver of the medical evaluation, and I am required to provide to you a copy of the User Instruction Brochure for a hearing aid, review the contents of that brochure with you, and afford you time to read the brochure. You must provide to me either a signed statement from a physician or a signed waiver before I will deliver this item to you. Upon your request, I will also provide to you a copy of the User Instructional Brochure for the hearing aid or the name and address of the manufacturer or distributor from whom a User Instructional Brochure for the hearing aid can be obtained.”
Indeed the best options available for selling used medical equipment include eBay and craigslist or other local buy and sell sites. However, the difficulty with offering medical equipment is that you have to find a customer who is searching for exactly what you sell at a fair price. Often times, manufacturers/suppliers will buy back some products depending on their condition.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Sell Medical Equipment On eBay?
Well, it depends on the type of medical equipment, but please note that any medical device that requires a prescription can’t be sold on eBay, including needles, with or without a disposable syringe, and the likes.
Can You Sell Expired Medical Supplies On eBay?
Absolutely no, you cannot sell expired medical supplies on eBay.
Can You Sell CPAP Supplies On eBay?
You cannot sell a CPAP machine on eBay unless you have FDA approval to do so. eBay forbids the sale of any medical device (or accessories) that require a prescription. So, if you can buy it over-the-counter at your local store, you can’t sell it on eBay.
What Are Things To Know To Attract And Convert More Customers On eBay?
- Think Like a Buyer.
- Search Top-Selling Items.
- Know Your Listing Fees.
- Price Your Items For Profit.
- Create Images that Sell.
- Write Stand-Out Product Description.
- Give and Receive Feedback.
- Promote Your eBay Store
How Do You Sell Your Medical Instruments?
Here are a few tips that will help you sell your medical instruments;
- Build a Strong Network.
- Never Miss on Follow-Ups.
- Make the Most of Email Marketing.
- Adopt the Storytelling Method.
- Don’t Be Shy to Ask for Referrals.
- Be Ready for Complex Conversations.
- Empower Your Medical Sales Representatives with Resources.
- Consider a Reliable HIPAA Compliant CRM
What Is It Called When You Sell Medical Equipment?
You are called medical device sales representatives and as the title suggests, medical device sales representatives are selling experts who influence clients’ buying decisions by detailing unique product features and benefits. Sales representatives market their company’s devices to hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, surgical centers, physicians, and more.
How Do Medical Device Companies Make Money?
Large medical device companies are consistently profitable and typically have profit margins of 20 percent to 30 percent. Medicare pays for medical devices indirectly by reimbursing providers when they use devices in the course of delivering care to beneficiaries.
How Long Can You Leave An Item On eBay?
It depends, because when you list an item on eBay, you can choose a listing duration, which is the length of time it will show on the site. The length of time you can list for depends on the listing format you choose: 1, 3, 5, 7, and 10 days.
Can You Sell Rx On eBay?
You can’t sell RX meds or illegal drugs on eBay.
Does eBay Have Selling Restrictions?
Yes, eBay has selling restrictions and it is an account-based limit. New sellers have a 10 item selling limit with a total value of $500 per month. This means that, during the month, you can sell no more than 10 items for a total of $500. This is the standard limit for all new eBay sellers.
How Much Can You Sell On eBay Before You Get A 1099?
eBay will provide you with Form 1099-K by January 31st each year if you have received payments above the minimum IRS reporting thresholds in the previous calendar year.
Why Does eBay Shut Down Accounts For Selling Medical Supplies Like CPAP Masks?
Because you cannot sell a CPAP mask on eBay unless you have FDA approval to do so. eBay forbids the sale of any medical device (or accessories) that requires a prescription. So, if you can buy it over-the-counter at your local store, you can’t sell it on eBay.
How Much Can You Sell On eBay Without Paying Tax in UK?
If you make up to £1,000 a year from your eBay sales – assuming that they don’t account for your full-time income – this is completely tax-free with the Trading Allowance.
Where Can You Sell Unused Medical Supplies?
The easiest way to sell unused medical supplies is online through various eCommerce platforms that allow the sale of unused medical supplies. You can still visit some pharmacy stores and medical facilities to sell directly to them.
What Items Cannot Be Sold On eBay?
The following items may not be listed on eBay:
- Drugs and drug paraphernalia.
- Embargoed goods
- Firearms, weapons, and knives.
- Government, transit, postal items, and official items
- Hazardous, restricted, or regulated materials.
- Items encouraging illegal activity.
- Lock-picking devices
Does eBay Charge Sales Tax Now?
From January 1, 2020, eBay started collecting sales tax on eligible transactions for buyers in the following states; Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, North Dakota, South Carolina, Texas, and Utah.
Does eBay Have Restricted Brands?
Yes, and this is so because eBay operates under a federal court order restricting sales of branded, trademarked items of certain trademark owners called the VEro program.
How Do I Know If My eBay Account Is Restricted?
If your account is on hold, restricted, or suspended, eBay will send an email to your registered email address and to your eBay messages explaining why. eBay will also let you know what you need to do before it can be reinstated.
Is Selling Medical Supplies Illegal?
No, but please note that if the Food and Drug Administration requires you to have a prescription to obtain a medication or other medical device, it’s illegal to resell that item online. That’s considered drug dealing, a crime that could result in lengthy jail time, depending on the jurisdiction and classification of the drug in question.
How Do I Get Unbanned From eBay?
Typically, eBay suspends accounts for two reasons: payment issues and a rules & terms violation. For payment problems, you simply need to pay the outstanding balance and your account will be reinstated. For other issues, you need to contact eBay, explain the situation, and see if they will reverse the suspension.
Can you sell medical equipment online?
Yes, you can sell medical equipment online and as a matter of fact, there are many online sites that sell used medical equipment at competitive prices, from general online selling sites like ebay.com or craigslist.com to more specific sites that sell used medical equipment, such as medibid.com, usedhm.com, disabledgear.com or dremed.com.
Who Can You Donate A Used Hospital Bed To?
You can donate a used hospital bed to Med-Eq, the American Medical Resources Foundation, or Project C.U.R.E in the US. In the UK, Hospices of Hope and Jacob’s Well Appeal are two reputable organizations. All of the companies supply medical equipment to underserved communities around the world.
Is It Illegal To Sell Expired Vitamins?
Surprisingly, it is not illegal to sell nutraceuticals and supplements past their expiration date as long as the customer is aware that they are purchasing expired items. The expiration date on these products is designed by the manufacturer to inform consumers and retailers of the best time to sell and use the product.
- A Guide to Great Business ideas for the Future 2025 – 2030 - September 3, 2021
- How Long Do Cordless Drill Batteries Last in 2021? - August 2, 2021
- How Does the Use of Cargo Containers Benefit the Economy? - August 2, 2021