An Airbnb cleaning business is a company that provides professional cleaning services to hosts who rent out their homes on Airbnb or other vacation rental platforms. The services typically include cleaning and preparing the rental property before the guests arrive, as well as cleaning and restocking the property after the guests check out.
Airbnb cleaning businesses may offer a range of services depending on the host’s needs, such as laundry services, restocking supplies, and performing minor repairs or maintenance tasks. Some Airbnb cleaning businesses may also provide additional services such as key exchange, guest communication, and property management.
By hiring an Airbnb cleaning business, hosts can ensure that their rental property is properly cleaned and maintained, which can help them receive positive reviews from guests and increase their bookings. Additionally, Airbnb cleaning businesses can provide hosts with peace of mind knowing that their property is being cared for by professionals.
The Airbnb cleaning business belongs to the cleaning services industry and available data shows that the global cleaning services market size was valued at $55,715.0 million in 2020, and is projected to reach $111,498.8 million by 2030, registering a CAGR of 6.5 percent from 2021 to 2030.
Steps on How to Start an Airbnb Cleaning Business
Table of Content
Conduct Market Research
Conducting market research is essential for any business, including an Airbnb cleaning business. First, you have to determine who your target customers are by analyzing the demographics, psychographics, and behavior patterns of potential customers.
In this case, your target market will be Airbnb hosts who need cleaning services for their rental properties. You are also expected to research other Airbnb cleaning businesses in your area and evaluate their strengths and weaknesses, pricing strategies, customer reviews, and marketing tactics.
Design a survey to gather information about the needs and preferences of Airbnb hosts in your area. You can use online survey tools like SurveyMonkey or Google Forms to create a survey and share it with potential customers. Check online reviews on Airbnb and other vacation rental platforms to understand the pain points of Airbnb hosts and identify areas where your cleaning business can offer better services.
Attend networking events for vacation rental hosts and property managers in your area to understand the challenges they face and how your cleaning business can help solve them. Based on the information you have gathered, determine a pricing strategy that is competitive and profitable.
Lastly, you will be required to create a marketing plan that targets Airbnb hosts in your area, leveraging social media, email marketing, and other digital marketing channels to reach potential customers.
a. Who is the Target Market for Airbnb Cleaning Business?
- Airbnb property companies
- VRBO Hotels.
b. Is Airbnb Cleaning Business a Profitable Business?
Yes, the Airbnb cleaning business is a profitable business. The global cleaning services market was valued at $55,715.0 million in 2020 and is projected to reach $111,498.8 million by 2030, registering a CAGR of 6.5 percent from 2021 to 2030.
c. Are There Existing Niches in the Industry?
No, there are no existing niches when it comes to the Airbnb cleaning business line of business and this is so because the Airbnb cleaning business is a niche idea in the janitorial cum commercial cleaning services industry.
d. Who are the Major Competitors?
- Superhost Cleaners
- City CoPilot
- Klean Cleaning Services
- Cleaning by Consuelo
- Bright Touch Cleaning
- RDC Cleaning LLC
- Green Apple Cleaning Services.
e. Are There County or State Regulations or Zoning Laws for Airbnb Cleaning Business?
No, there are no county or state regulations and zoning laws for Airbnb’s cleaning business, and players in this industry are expected to work with the existing regulations governing such business in the county or state where their business is domiciled.
In addition to that, it is important to state that in the United States, government agencies and departments routinely grant variances to rules and regulations.
Often, you only have to fill out a short form. In other cases, your request may have to be publicly heard before your city council, zoning board, or other body. Please check with your zoning or planning department to find out what options are available to you.
f. Is There a Franchise for Airbnb Cleaning Business?
Yes, there are franchise opportunities for the Airbnb cleaning business, and here are some of them;
- Jan-Pro Franchising International
- Anago Cleaning Systems
- Vanguard Cleaning Systems
- Office Pride Commercial Cleaning Services
- The Cleaning Authority
- Molly Maid
- Two Maids & A Mop
- Coverall North America, Inc.
- Image One Facility Solutions.
g. What Do You Need to Start Airbnb Cleaning Business?
- A Feasibility Report
- Business and Marketing Plans
- Business Licenses and Permits
- A Good Office facility
- EIN (Employer Identification Number)/Federal Tax ID Number.
- A Corporate Bank Account
- Cleaning Supplies and Equipment
- Startup Capital
Choose a Memorable Business Name
When looking to start a business, before you can begin to file the necessary documents with the constituted authorities or start your website, it is necessary that you come up with a name that you will be recognized with. It is essential that the name you come up with can easily be pronounced, is unique and easily memorable.
Some of the catchy business name ideas suitable for an Airbnb cleaning business are;
Creative Airbnb Cleaning Business Name ideas
- Zach Johnson® Airbnb Cleaning Services, LLC
- Jim Furyk® Airbnb Cleaning Services, LLC
- Gary Woodland© Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Cleanest Wool® Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Phil Mikel® Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Bryson DeChambeau™ Airbnb Cleaning Services, LLC
- Dustin Johnson© Airbnb Cleaning Services, LLC
- Brooks Koepka® Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Justin Thomas® Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Jordan Spieth™ Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Rickie Fowler™ Airbnb Cleaning Services, LLC
- Collin Morikawa© Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Xander Schaufeli® Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Patrick Reed™ Airbnb Cleaning Services, LLC
- Patrick Cantlay© Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Tony Finau™ Airbnb Cleaning Services, LLC
- Matt Kuchar® Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Webb Simpson™ Airbnb Cleaning Services, LLC
- Daniel Berger® Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
- Cameron Champ© Airbnb Cleaning Services, Inc.
Register Your Business
a. What Type of Business Structure is Best for Airbnb Cleaning Business?
The ideal business structure for an Airbnb cleaning company is determined by a variety of factors, including the size of the company, the number of owners, the level of personal liability the owners are ready to accept, and the tax consequences of the various business structures.
However, we normally recommend a limited liability company structure. This is so because an LLC is a hybrid corporate form that provides the flexibility of a partnership while also providing its owners with limited liability protection.
An LLC can have one or more owners, and the owners are not personally accountable for the debts or liabilities of the business. This business form is frequently used for small to medium-sized organizations.
b. Steps to Form an LLC
- Choose a Name for Your LLC.
- File Articles of Organization.
- Choose a registered agent.
- Decide on member vs. manager management.
- Create an LLC operating agreement.
- Comply with other tax and regulatory requirements.
- File annual reports.
c. What Type of License is Needed to Start Airbnb Cleaning Business?
- General Business License
- Zonal Permits
- Signage Permit
- Sales tax permit
- Chemical handling permit
- Environmental permits.
d. What Type of Certification is Needed to Start Airbnb Cleaning Business?
In reality, you don’t need any special certifications to start an Airbnb cleaning business but you can work towards owning one or more of the following certifications;
- Institute of inspection cleaning and restoration certification – IICRC
- International janitorial cleaning services certification – IJVSC
- House cleaning technician certification – HCT
- Cleaning business owner certificate – CBO
e. What Documents are Needed to Start Airbnb Cleaning Business?
These are some of the basic legal documents that you are expected to have in place if you want to legally run an Airbnb cleaning business in the United States of America;
- Business and liability insurance
- Federal Tax Payer’s ID
- State Permit and Building Approval
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Business License
- Business Plan
- Employment Agreement (offer letters)
- Operating Agreement for LLCs
- Insurance Policy
- Sales tax permit
- Chemical handling permit
- Environmental permits
- Contract Document
- Company Bylaws
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
f. Do You Need a Trademark, Copyright, or Patent?
Actually, it’s not necessary to obtain a trademark, copyright, or patent for an Airbnb cleaning business, although it may be helpful in protecting your intellectual property and brand. For example, registering a trademark for your Airbnb cleaning business can help prevent others from using similar branding that may cause confusion among customers.
Cost Analysis and Budgeting
a. How Much Does It Cost to Start Airbnb Cleaning Business?
To be truthful, the cost required to start an Airbnb cleaning business may vary significantly. But on average, you can budget as low as $5,000 to as much as over $100,000 to start your Airbnb cleaning business.
b. What are the Costs Involved in Starting an Airbnb Cleaning Business
- Business Registration Fees – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits – $1,300.
- Marketing, Branding, and Promotions – $2,000.
- Business Consultant Fee – $2,500.
- Insurance – $1,400.
- Rent or lease – $50,000
- Other start-up expenses include commercial satellite TV subscriptions, stationery ($500), and phone and utility deposits ($2,800).
- Operational Cost (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $30,000
- start-up inventory – $5,000
- Store Equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $1,750
- Website: $850
- Opening party: $3,000
- Miscellaneous: $3,000
c. What Factors Determine the Cost of Starting Airbnb Cleaning Business?
- The size of the Airbnb cleaning business
- The choice of locations
- The required licenses and permits
- The type of additional services offerings
- The cost of hiring and paying a business consultant and attorney
- The cost of branding, promotion, and marketing of the Airbnb cleaning business
- The cost of furnishing and equipping the Airbnb cleaning business office facility
- The cost of the insurance policy covers
- The cost of registering the business
- Cost of recruiting and training your staff
- The cost for the purchase and customizing of uniforms
- The cost of the grand opening of the Airbnb cleaning business
d. Do You Need to Build a Facility? If YES, How Much Will It Cost?
No, it is not compulsory to build new facilities for your Airbnb cleaning business, you just need a budget-friendly office to start the business.
e. What are the Ongoing Expenses of the Airbnb Cleaning Business?
- Cleaning supplies and equipment such as cleaning solutions, detergents, disinfectants, paper towels, trash bags, and other supplies.
- Labor costs (wages, taxes, and benefits).
- Transportation expenses
- Marketing and advertising such as online ads, flyers, and business cards.
- Insurance such as liability insurance, property insurance, and workers’ compensation insurance.
- Business licenses and permits
- Website and software expenses
- Income taxes and other taxes, such as sales tax.
f. What is the Average Salary of your Staff?
- Chief Executive Officer (Owner) – $55,000 per year
- Manager – $38,000 per year
- Accountant/Cashier – $35,0000
- Marketing and Sales Officer – $35,000 per year
- Cleaners – $26,000 per year
- Security Officers – $24,150 per year
g. How Do You Get Funding to Start Airbnb Cleaning Business
- Raising money from personal savings and sale of personal stocks and properties
- Raising money from investors and business partners
- Sell shares to interested investors
- Applying for a loan from your bank/banks
- Source for soft loans from your family members and friends.
Write a Business Plan
a. Executive Summary
Webb Simpson™ Airbnb Cleaning Services, LLC is a New York City-based professional cleaning company specializing in providing cleaning services for short-term rental properties, including Airbnb, HomeAway, and VRBO. Our team of experienced and professional cleaners is trained to provide high-quality cleaning services that exceed our client’s expectations.
We use eco-friendly cleaning products that are safe for both our clients and the environment. Our business model is built on providing reliable and affordable cleaning services to property owners and managers in the short-term rental market.
We work closely with our clients to develop custom cleaning plans that fit their specific needs and budget. Our flexible scheduling and efficient cleaning process ensure that our client’s properties are always clean and ready for the next guest.
b. Products and Service
We offer a wide range of cleaning services tailored to meet the unique needs of our clients, including deep cleaning, turnover cleaning, and laundry services.
c. Mission Statement
Our mission at Webb Simpson™ Airbnb Cleaning Services, LLC is to provide top-quality cleaning services for short-term rental properties, such as Airbnb, HomeAway, and VRBO. We strive to exceed our client’s expectations by providing exceptional cleaning services that leave their properties spotless, ensuring their guests have a memorable and enjoyable stay.
We are committed to using eco-friendly cleaning products that are safe for both our clients and the environment and building long-term relationships with our clients based on trust, reliability, and exceptional customer service.
Our vision at Webb Simpson™ Airbnb Cleaning Services, LLC is to become the leading cleaning company in the short-term rental market by providing reliable, affordable, and exceptional cleaning services that meet the unique needs of our clients.
d. Goals and Objectives
The goals and objectives of Airbnb’s cleaning business are to provide professional cleaning services for short-stay accommodations such as Airbnb, HomeAway, and VRBO et al.
e. Organizational Structure
- Chief Executive Officer (Owner)
- Marketing and Sales Officer
- Security Officers
a. SWOT Analysis
- Experienced and professional team of cleaners
- Use of eco-friendly cleaning products
- Tailored cleaning plans for clients
- Flexible scheduling and efficient cleaning process
- Strong reputation for quality and attention to detail
- Established relationships with clients in the short-term rental market.
- Dependence on the short-term rental market
- Seasonal fluctuations in demand
- Limited geographic coverage
- Reliance on technology for scheduling and communication.
- A rise in the number of Airbnb properties
- Expansion into new geographic markets
- Diversification of services to include long-term rentals and commercial properties
- Partnership opportunities with property management companies and vacation rental platforms
- Leveraging technology to streamline operations and improve customer experience.
- Competition from other cleaning companies in the short-term rental market
- Economic downturns impacting travel and tourism
- Potential regulatory changes in the short-term rental market
- Public health concerns affecting demand for short-term rentals.
b. How Do Airbnb Cleaning Companies Make Money?
Airbnb cleaning companies make money by offering professional cleaning services for Airbnb properties, HomeAway, and VRBO et al.
c. Payment Options
- Credit and debit cards
- Apple Pay and Google Wallet
- Gift cards and store credit
- Installment payments
- Cash on delivery of services.
d. Sales & Advertising Strategies
- Introduce your Airbnb cleaning business by sending introductory letters alongside your brochure to Airbnb facility operators and other key stakeholders throughout the city where your Airbnb cleaning business is located.
- Advertise on the internet on blogs and forums, and also on social media like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to get your message across,
- Create a basic website for your business, so as to give your business an online presence
- Directly market your products.
- Advertise our business in travel and tours magazines, community-based newspapers, local TV and radio stations
- List your business on yellow pages ads (local directories)
- Encourage the use of word-of-mouth marketing (referrals)
a. How Much Should You Charge for Your Product/Service?
The cost of Airbnb cleaning services in the US can vary depending on various factors such as the location, size of the property, and the level of cleaning required. Typically, Airbnb cleaning companies charge per cleaning, and the cost can range from around $50 to $200 per cleaning.
b. How Much Profit Do Airbnb Cleaning Business Owners Make a Year?
According to industry reports, the average profit margin for a cleaning business is around 15 to 20 percent of the gross revenue.
For a small Airbnb cleaning business with one or two employees, the owner may make a profit of around $50,000 to $100,000 per year after paying for expenses such as labor, equipment, cleaning supplies, insurance, and marketing costs.
c. What Factors Determine the Amount of Profit to Be Made?
- The capacity of the Airbnb cleaning business
- The types of additional services offered
- The locations of the Airbnb cleaning business
- The management style of the Airbnb cleaning business
- The business approach of the Airbnb cleaning business
- The advertising and marketing strategies adopted by the Airbnb cleaning business.
- The number of years the Airbnb cleaning business has been in business
d. What is the Profit Margin of an Airbnb Cleaning Business?
Typically, the profit margin for a cleaning business ranges from 10 to 30 percent of the gross revenue. However, for an Airbnb cleaning business, the profit margin may be slightly lower due to the competitive pricing and higher overhead costs associated with servicing short-term rentals.
e. What is the Sales Forecast?
Below is the sales forecast for an Airbnb cleaning business. It is based on the location of the business and other factors as it relates to such startups in the United States;
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $260,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $340,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $420,000
Set Up your Shop/Office
a. How Do You Choose a Perfect Location for Airbnb Cleaning Business?
- The demography of the location
- Accessibility of the location
- The number of Airbnb cleaning companies and Airbnb facilities in the location
- The local laws and regulations in the community/state
- Traffic, parking, and security et al
b. What State and City is Best to Start an Airbnb Cleaning Business?
- Los Angeles, California
- New York City, New York
- San Francisco, California
- Miami, Florida
- San Diego, California.
- Chicago, Illinois
- Austin, Texas
- Nashville, Tennessee
- Seattle, Washington
- Denver, Colorado.
c. What Equipment is Needed to Operate an Airbnb Cleaning Business?
You would need working tools and equipment such as jet snakes, brushes, industrial vacuums, dry clothes for cleaning, brooms, dust masks, safety shoes, and overalls vacuum cleaner with attachments, bowl cleaner, brooms, dust pan & brush, dry mop, wet mop & bucket, latex gloves, wet floor signs, extension cord, disinfectant cleaner, soft scrub, high duster, caddy with a handle to keep your supplies in, and truck.
Whether or not to hire employees for an Airbnb cleaning business depends on the size and scale of the operation. If the business is small and operates on a small scale, it may be possible for the owner to handle all aspects of the business on their own except for some key employees who can be contract staff.
However, as the business grows and the sales increase, it may become necessary to hire employees to handle various aspects of the operation.
Launch the Business Proper
In recent times, no Airbnb cleaning business has opened its door for business without first organizing an opening party to officially launch the business. You can choose to do a soft opening party if you are operating on a low budget or you can choose to go for a grand opening party for all and sundry in the location where your Airbnb cleaning business will be located.
The bottom line is that with the proper launching of the Airbnb cleaning business, you will be able to officially inform people in your city that your Airbnb cleaning business is open for business.
a. What Makes Airbnb Cleaning Business Successful?
- Choose good locations to launch the business
- Make sure your partner with key stakeholders and offer a wide range of cleaning services and support (give your customers options)
- Throw an open house grand party before officially starting the Airbnb cleaning business
- Be deliberate with your marketing sales approach
- Encourage the use of word of mouth to promote your Airbnb cleaning business
- Leverage all available online and offline platforms to promote your Airbnb cleaning business
b. What Happens During a Typical Day at an Airbnb Cleaning Business?
- The business is open for the day
- Staff resume and are deployed to locations (Airbnb facilities)
- Administrative work is done concurrently
- The cleaners and other staff members execute their job descriptions in location (Airbnb facilities)
- Stocking of cleaning and other supplies are done
- The office is administratively closed for the day.
c. What Skills and Experience Do You Need to Build Airbnb Cleaning Business?
- Excellent janitorial and cleaning skills
- Excellent customer services skills
- Interpersonal skill
- Accounting and bookkeeping skills
- Business management skills
- Bargaining skill
- Work experience in the janitorial and commercial cleaning services industry
- Experience in managing people
- Experience in business administration
- Experience in handling different types of cleaning chemicals and tools.