Are you interested in starting a cake decorating business from home? Do you need a sample cake decorating business plan template? Do you want to learn what it takes to run a cake decorating business? Then i advice you read on.
Cake decoration is an art that is performed in places all over the world. This is the main reason why there are a lot of contests and baking competitions especially in the Western World. Cake decoration is one of the sugar arts that uses icings or frosting and other edible decorative elements to create patterns on plain cakes and make it more visually interesting. Alternatively, cakes can also be molded and sculpted to resemble three-dimensional persons, places and things.
But funny enough, most people still see cake decoration as a hobby or passion; they are yet to see the profit potential of running a cake decorating business. However, in this article, i will be highlighting the pros and cons of starting a cake decorating business from home.
5 Reasons Why You Should Start a Cake Decorating Business
1. Cake is something that most people attach much importance to. In fact, no birthday party, wedding ceremony, event or anniversary would be complete without a cake. So as a cake decorator, you will always be in business as long as people attach much significance to these events. Secondly, not only are people looking for attractively decorated cakes, they are also willing to pay anything just to have them.
2. As a cake decorator, you are your own boss. What this means in essence that you determine your paycheck and you only take orders from your customers.
3. Running a cake decorating business gives you a feeling and sense of self actualization. Seeing your creative works and designs been appreciated by clients gives you joy and a sense of pride.
4. A cake decorating business is a business that you can start with no money and you can also start it from home; either full time or part time.
5. It is not capital intensive, neither is it management intensive.
Starting a Cake Decorating Business – Sample Business Plan Template
1. Acquire the basic cake decorating skills
If you really want to take your cake decoration business seriously, and also as a source of your primary income, then you need to educate yourself and get trained. So it advisable you take a course or attend a seminar of cake decoration. Getting a cake decoration certification can also be a boost on your personal brand.
When you might have acquired the necessary skill required to start a cake decorating business, the next thing to do is to write a comprehensive business plan that will comprise the A-Z of starting a cake decorating business. This business plan of yours must cover every detail of the business such as financial projections, marketing plan and strategy, executive summary, goals and objectives, mission and vision statement, etc.
To develop a winning business plan, it is advisable you seek the services of a business consultant or better still, buy a sample cake decorating business plan template and use it.
Getting a good location for your business will go along way to determine how successful that business will be. So you must always get a very good place to site your cake decoration company. However, you can skip this hurdle and start your business from home especially if you are trying to commence operation with little capital.
4. Get licensed
You have to understand that it is illegal to operate a food service business from your home or anywhere else without a permit from the Health Department. So ensure you get the necessary permit and if possible, get your tax clearance.
5. Buy the needed equipment
There are different equipments required to start up a cake decorating and it is important that you have these equipments because it will make the work less tedious. Example of such equipment include:
- Cake Pans
- Cake Boards
- Food Color
- Tips and Couplers
- Pastry Bags
- Icing mixer
- Turntables for decorating
- Separators for multi layered cakes
- Icing tubes,
- Rolling pins
- Knives and Cake Levelers
- Dummy Cakes
- Books on cake decoration for new ideas and tips.
6. Hire employees
You might decide to start a cake decorating business without employing anybody but as your business grows and you take on more clients, there will be need for you to hire employees.
8 Marketing Strategies for a Cake Decorating Business
- Kick start your business by offering your services for free and taking photo shots of your designs.
- Offer your services for free to charitable organizations
- Design and print creative business cards and give it out at any given opportunity
- If you are financially capable, you can advertise your business on mass media
- Start a blog and use it to communicate or interact you your potential customers. Better still, strive to make your blog a brand and your business will feel the replica effect
- Offer discount to your customers
- Encourage your existing customers to tell others about you. This is called word of mouth marketing
- Put your business on the web and engage your potential customers on social media
3 Challenges of Starting a Cake Decorating Business
Competition is a challenge every entrepreneur must face in business. Most individuals see competition as a plague but competition is a benchmark for creativity in cake decorating business.
The next challenge you will face in the process of starting a cake decorating business from the scratch is finding good customers. In the process of building your business, you will come to find out that there are good customers as well as bad ones.
3. Dealing with multiple clients
As you grow in business, you will often need to offer your services to different clients, all within a tight time range. What do you do at such moment? Well, your only option is either to turn down your clients or scale up by employing more hands and it is a known fact that getting passionate people to work for you is quite difficult.
Latest posts by Ajaero Tony Martins (see all)
- How to Write a Music Venue Business Plan [Sample Template] - February 2, 2020
- A Sample Indoor Shrimp Farming Business Plan Template - February 2, 2020
- How Long You Have to Buy Insurance After Buying a Used Car - January 29, 2020