Do you want to start an IT consulting company from scratch? Or you need a sample IT consulting business plan template? If YES, then i advice you read on.
An I.T consulting firm helps or focuses on advising business owners and companies on how to take advantage of Information Technology to help them achieve their business and company goals.
Since there are many information technological systems out there, the duty of the Information Technology (IT) consulting firm is to advice, manage and set up the best I. T services that will help business owners meet their business goals. There is high demand for the services of I.T consulting companies since business owners are looking for better and easier ways to achieve their company goals.
The purpose of this article is to provide adequate information on how to start an I.T consulting firm to help business owners with Information and Technology services; so that at the end of this article, you should be able to know all the steps involved in starting out your own Information and Technology consulting business.
Starting an IT Consulting Firm – Sample Business Plan Template
1. Choose an Area of Specialization-: You have to choose an aspect of I. T consulting that you wish to specialize in. There are four aspects of I.T consulting that you can choose from, they include:
- Information Technology Security Consulting Aspect-: This area of I.T consulting has to do with security including securing and safe guarding data, building security framework to prevent hacking and other security related aspect of Information and Technology. If you are focusing on this aspect, you have to know a lot about ethical hacking and how to prevent system hack.
- Information and Technology Temp Staff-: There are occasions when one or two important I.T staff in a company will be away; the company may need replacement to temp for them until the company’s own staff comes back. You can have a company that hires out I. T staff to temp in companies.
- Independent I. T Consultant-: An independent consultant works as a self employed freelancer from home; or he works on contract for other I. T firms.
- Professional I.T Consulting Firm-: This aspect of I. T consulting is for firms with big workforce. Their main function is installation of I.T gadgets, management and provision of estimates, serving a advisor to firms on I. T related issues.
2. Drafting Service Proposals to Business–: How this works is that you make a list of top 20 businesses in your location that you think will need the services of an I.T consulting firm; write a proposal of the services you offer and why the company should hire your firm to offer those services.
Also, remember to bill them moderately for starters because the chances that they are already using the services of another I.T consulting firm is high. So the cheaper bills may serve as a motivating factor for them to switch to your firm.
3. Website-: You can create a professional website for your firm with detailed information on the services you offer; so that anybody that goes online to search for an I.T consulting firm in your location will be referred to your website by search engine.
4. Develop a Business Plan-: After you choose the aspect of I.T consulting you want to focus on, it is time to develop a business plan for your IT consulting company. The business plan should answer questions like; how much capital do you need to get started, what are the company’s goal for the next 5 years, will the business be run as a Sole proprietorship or will you have to get in business partners as time goes on to help develop the business. Answers to these questions will help you work out a good business plan for your company.
5. Get Legally Certified-: There are some legal requirements you may have to fulfill to start your I.T consulting business. First you have to register the business to function as a company, then you have to check out other requirement needed to be certified and get done. You may require the services of a lawyer or an attorney at one time to help with some legal process.
6. Get an Office Space for Your Firm-: At this stage, you should be done with the legal registration of the business as a company, it is time to get an office space for your business. You may not need an office space if you want to work as an independent I.T consultant in which case you can work from home. Your office space will be determined by the size of workforce your firm will have.
7. Employ Your Staff-: The next is to employ competent I.T staff that will work for the company. You can hire them as permanent staff or contract staff that will be around only when there is work to do. As an I.T firm, your staff should be knowledge on latest updates in the information and technology industry; you can still sponsor trainings for your permanent staff to help them stay updated.
8. Advertise Your Services-: You need strategic adverts of your services for people to know the services you offer; you can advertise your I.T consulting business through any of the following ways.
9. Advert on I.T Related Publications-: There are Information and Technology magazines and publications with advert sections; you can pay them to place adverts of your company on the next publication. This will help get targeted adverts for your company.
At this junction, I have taken you through an introduction to Information and Technology consulting firm, the four aspects of Information and Technology consulting business and finally, I laid out a step to step guide that will help you start your own consulting firm. There is a big opportunity for you in the Information and Technology consulting market.
And if you don’t have the capital to set up a big consulting firm, you can start out as an independent contractor for other firms until you save up enough to start out your own consulting firm.
- 5 Tools and Equipment You Need to Become a Locksmith - October 29, 2020
- How Much It Cost to Dispose Hazardous Waste Per Ton - October 29, 2020
- How to Be an Effective Manager – 37 Tips to Help You - October 29, 2020