Do you want to start an ostrich farm from scratch and make money? Or you need a sample ostrich farming business plan template? If YES, then i advice you read on.
Ostrich farming has been in existence for decades but people didn’t start paying much attention to it until very recently. Because Ostriches are not as easy to find as other animals, ostrich farmers earn more profit than other livestock farmers.
Ostrich eggs can fetch as much as $500 while live ostriches can be sold for up to $5,000. Yes, that’s how lucrative ostrich farming can be.
Starting your Ostrich Farm – Sample Business Plan Template
1. Obtain a License-: First, you should register your business and obtain the necessary license needed to start an ostrich farm. You should also write your ostrich farming business plan and study all rules and regulations of ostrich farming in your state including export rules and regulations.
2. Location-: Hey! Ostriches are very fast runners. They love to run so you must first provide a very large sparse of land to breed them in and also fence it in to prevent them from running away.
Also, ostriches can grow as tall as 9 feet so, if you want to build a shelter for them, you should put their heights into consideration. Another thing to put into consideration is water because ostriches drink a lot of water. You can choose a location close to a stream or build an artificial pond to allow for access to adequate water supply.
3. Breeding-: Because of the huge start-up costs, it is advisable for anyone who wants to go into ostrich farming to start on a lower scale. You should start with at least 1 male ostrich and a female ostrich. Due to the high level of production of ostriches, you would have your hands full in no time. So, you shouldn’t be scared of starting small.
4. Feeding-: You can feed your ostriches on fruits, tubers, grains, leaves and even small animals. You could also buy specially formulated feed for them to promote growth and productivity.
5. Healthcare-: Although ostriches have a very strong immune system and are less likely to fall ill, it wouldn’t hurt to have a veterinary doctor on hand to be in charge of caring for their health and ensure that you include these costs in your income statement.
6. Networking-: Ostrich farming is a unique business and not as popular as other livestock farming businesses and as a beginner, you might find yourself in a confused state sometimes.
This is why you need a lot of networking to successfully run an ostrich farming business. You should consider joining internet forums, watching YouTube videos and joining groups or unions of ostrich farmers if you can find any in your locality. There is no limit to what you can learn from other experienced ostrich farmers.
6 Benefits of Ostrich Farming
I would like to start with telling you some of the benefits that you could derive from ostrich farming before I go ahead to tell you how to start an ostrich farming business. Some of the benefits of ostrich farming include-:
- Profitability-: I already mentioned that the egg of an ostrich could sell for as much as $500. Now imagine that you sell just 10 of that in 1 month and that is a very prudent estimation considering the increasing popularity of ostrich farming. Also, a live ostrich sells for as much as $5,000 per one which is a whole lot of money.
- High Return on Investment-: You would also recoup your investments on ostrich farming faster than even pig farming or cattle farming. A single ostrich can produce as many as 40 eggs yearly and within 14 months, the chicks can grow to reach market size.
- Meat Production-: A lot of people do not know that an ostrich produces more meat than cows. A single ostrich could produce as much as 1,800 kilograms of meat where a cow would produce just 250 kilograms of meat.
- Leather-: An Ostrich can also produce as much as 50 square meters of leather which could be sold for profit apart from the meat.
- Feathers-: Ostrich feathers are also in high demand by designers, decorators and manufacturers of furniture and decorations as well as artistes. You could get up to 36 kilograms of feather from one ostrich.
- Easy to raise-: You would think that with the amount of profit that they yield, they would be very difficult to raise but that is far from the case as Ostrich farming is as easy just as it is lucrative. All you need is adequate space, sufficient feeding and healthcare and you are good to go.
Marketing of Ostrich
This is very important information for anybody looking to venture into ostrich farming business. You must understand how your ostrich farming business can earn you some money. Ostriches have multiple uses and this means multiple sources of income for you. Some of the ways you can make money from ostrich farming include-:
- Selling the meat-: Ostrich meat is a healthier option for pork, beef or even fish and contains fewer calories and fat and this makes it very desirable for consumption. Apart from being healthy, they are also tasty and can be sold for as much as $12 per Kilogram.
- Selling the Leather-: The skin of an ostrich is also a very hot sales item because of the quality of leather that can be derived from its skin. Materials made with ostrich leather sells higher than those made with cattle leather and ostrich leather competes only with crocodile and snake leather.
- Selling the feathers-: No part of an ostrich should be trashed because even the feather is useful. Ostrich feathers are used for decorations and furnishings and are popularly demanded in the market.
- Selling the eggs-: Have you ever seen the egg of an ostrich? It’s the biggest egg of any bird in the world and can weigh up to 1 pound. These eggs could be sold for $500 and a single ostrich can lay up to 40 of these eggs yearly.
- Selling live ostrich-: As ostrich farming gains more popularity, there is a high demand for live ostriches for people who want to start their own ostrich farms. There is also a demand for live ostriches in the international market.