Do you want to start a quail farm from scratch and make money? Or you need a sample quail farming business plan template? If YES, then i advice you read on.
Quail bird farming has now positioned itself as one of the most lucrative businesses in the poultry farming industry. Apart from the fact that it can be started on very little capital, it also gives a high return on investment. The main reason for rearing quail birds are for their eggs which have been discovered to possess great nutritional value and highly beneficial to the health.
Some of the health benefits of quail eggs include:
- Helps with stimulating the brain and enhancing brain activity
- Quail eggs are also said to possess some carcinogenic properties which help to prevent and stop the growth of cancer in the body.
- Quail eggs help to improve the look and texture of the skin and also promote hair growth.
- It is also very beneficial for people that are suffering from stomach ulcers or any other digestive tract disorder.
- Quail eggs help to increase hemoglobin levels in the body and detoxify the body. It is also good for pregnant women and helps to fight anemia.
This is just a list of few of the things that quail eggs can do as it is often referred to as ‘the super food’, ‘wonder eggs’ and all sorts of names that point to the fact that it is very beneficial to the human body. People who rear quail birds make money from two major sources-:
- Selling of eggs
- Selling of quail
Starting a Quail Farm – Sample Business Plan Template
1. Get trained -: To learn the tips and tricks of this business, you have to get trained by those who are already in the business. An experienced quail farmer would be able to teach you what you need to know about the practical aspects of quail farming and how to avoid pitfalls and losses.
2. Get licensed-: The next most important thing is to get licensed. I know that some countries do not require you to have a license to practice quail farming but most developed countries do. This is in a bid to prevent bird flu and all other poultry related diseases.
3. Get capital-: Quail farming does not require much capital. Most of the funds you need are for acquiring the birds and feeding them. You may also need funds to get a suitable location if you do not already have one. In all, you would need anywhere between $100 and $500 to start a small scale quail farming business.
4. Get a location-: Most small scale quail farmers practice ‘backyard quail farming’ and you could adopt this system if you do not have enough funds. Whatever system you adopt, keep in mind that the room where you choose to rear the birds must be well ventilated and kept clean at all times so as to prevent disease outbreaks.
You should also create a cage for the birds to protect them from predators and pest. You should also bear in mind that they are birds and can escape so when building a house or cage for them, you should build it in such a way that they cannot escape.
5. Select a good breed-: Just like chickens and other birds, quails also come in different breeds. Some grow very big and are more suitable for consumption while others are better at laying eggs. If you want to venture into quail farming solely for egg production, then you should go for the layer breed like Tuxedo, Manchurian golden, English white and British range.
But if you also want to sell Quail for meat, you should add some broiler breeds like Bob white America and the white breasted Indian. Also, when getting quail birds to start with, you should go for chicks that are at least 2 weeks old.
Unlike poultry farming where you can easily start with day old chicks, quails have high mortality rate in the first two weeks of birth and as a new entrant into the business; you may not understand the technicalities of handling quail chicks that is why you should go for slightly older chicks to start with.
6. Feeding-: You can feed quail birds on the same type of feeds you use for feeding chickens or turkey. But chickens, quail birds do not really consume much food so you don’t really have to be bothered about the cost of feeding because compared to other poultry birds, the costs of quail feeding is quite meager.
7. Labor-:This depends on how occupied you are and how large your farm is but Quail birds are very easy to manage and a single person can handle up to 5,000 birds so, you may not need to hire extra labor if you have enough time on your hands to manage your Quail farm yourself.
8. Marketing-: The first advice that I would give anyone who is planning to go into Quail farming is to do a feasibility study of the business in your area and prepare a quail farming business plan even before you venture into the business. How well do people know about and buy Quail eggs in your area? How profitable is the business for people who are already into it?
How much does an egg go for? These are some of the very important questions you should have answers to even before you go into the business. This would help you a lot when you get to the marketing stage of your business.
You would know how and where to sell to when you are ready. Some ways to sell your products include supplying in crates to grocery stores and supermarkets, organizing seminars and health talk shows about the benefits of quail egg and then selling to attendees, distributing flyers and banners and selling on the internet.
9. Quail meat processing and packaging-: Quail eggs are not the only beneficial products of Quail birds. Quail meat is also very delicious and nutritious. Apart from selling quail eggs, you could also make money from selling processed and packaged Quail meat.
- Food Truck Financial Projection – Profit & Loss Statement - September 22, 2020
- Become a Concession Stand Worker – Job Description & Duties - September 18, 2020
- How to Enter the Great Food Truck Race Successfully - September 10, 2020