Are you about starting a gym or fitness center? If YES, here’s a complete sample gym or fitness center business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a gym/fitness center. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample gym/fitness center marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for gym/fitness centers. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- Executive Summary
- Market Analysis
- SWOT Analysis
- Financial Projection
- Marketing Plan
- Marketing ideas & Strategies
Why Start a Fitness Center?
If you very much agree with the saying that goes ‘ health is wealth’, then you may also very well agree that one of the ways of staying healthy is by keeping fit and having a good BMI. It is very important to not be complacent when the issue of staying fit comes to fore. This is one of the reasons why there has been the craze for fitness lately all over the globe. Those who are particular about staying fit know that it is a part of life
In the United States of America for instance; the rate at which folks get obese have continued to be an alarming thing. This is no thanks to the junk type of diet that these folks subject themselves to. However, truth is that one can curb being obese and even totally eradicate those unwanted fats in the body by simply enrolling in a gym and eating healthy. This is one of the sole aims which those who are in the gym business try to pass across.
How Easy Is It to Start a Gym Business?
Starting a gym is a very interesting and profitable venture. This is because much more than wanting to help other people realize their weight goals, you also can keep and stay fit always.
It is pertinent to state that it might be a little capital intensive, as you will have to procure all valuable and vital exercising equipment that will promote your business. You do not want to be found wanting when clients call for certain types of equipment. You will also need to hire the best of instructors that can assist the people reach their goals pretty faster and systematically.
Writing a Business Plan
One of the basic steps that you will need to take if you want to start on the right path of any business at all is by writing a business plan. This also applies to the gym business. You will need to put pen down the various sales projections you have, your vision, mission and all what not. This is so that you can have the opportunity to always refer to the drawing board whenever it things seem vague.
Writing a business plan to many may not come easy, but the truth is that you can use an existing template to write yours. Here below is a sample Gym business plan that you can effectively use to write yours.
A Sample Gym & Fitness Center Business Plan Template
- Gym Business Overview
Gym business is gaining more grounds in recent times as it was in the 20th century. People are now more aware of the immeasurable benefits they stand to gain when they enroll in a gym. It is now obvious to a myriad of people that they can stay healthy, improve their lifestyle and live longer if they exercised regularly.
Statistics has it that there is a steady increase in the number of people that enroll in gyms and the fact that gym facilities is now closer to residential areas make this possible. In order words, with the increase in the number of people that enroll in gyms, comes the increase in the revenue generated by gyms.
Some people enroll in gyms not because they don’t have the money to purchase some of the basic gym equipment, but because exercising regularly requires discipline and that is part of what they stand to get when they enroll in a gym with an instructor at hand.
Loads of factors are responsible for the springing up of gyms in various locations in the United States of America; chief amongst them is the rise in the number of obese people. Being obese is a risk to one’s health, which is why obese people who thoroughly want to stay healthy and fit enroll in gyms that are close to them.
Different people visit gyms and fitness centers for various reasons. Some people register in the gym basically to shed some weight through proper exercising, whilst others go to the gym to train and increase their biceps (muscles) i.e. body building and other enroll in gym for cardio sessions et al.
Researchers, engineers, health and fitness experts are always improvising and inventing fitness equipment that can help people and gym owners achieve their aims. Although gym equipment can be expensive, but the truth is that most of the equipment last longer if they are well utilized. Aside from the fact that they last longer, acquiring any gym equipment is an investment that is worth the while.
Starting a gym business in the United States of America is less stressful; it requires enough cash to equip the gym facility to meet the standard expected by gym users. As a matter of fact, building a swimming pool around the gym facility is one of the factors that could attract clients to enroll in gyms.
The gym industry is not going to go out of fashion anytime soon, but rather the number of people that enroll in gyms will continue to be on the increase and that of course will translate to more monies for gym owners.
Sample Fitness Center Business Plan Template – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
The trend in the gym and fitness industry is such that if a gym is well positioned in a residential area or a place where people can easily access without much stress, there is the likelihood that the gym will enjoy high patronage.
Just like in other business venture, the owner of gyms and fitness clubs are always looking for ways to increase their market share; they go as far as signing deals with high schools and also offer home services. What they do is that they offer pro bono services for a period of time, and then thereafter introduce a fee gradually and before too long they would have successfully converted some of the people that benefited from their pro bono services to loyal members.
It is common trend that as gyms grow, it becomes necessary for them to develop new service offerings or install new facilities that will help them attract more people. Little wonder some gyms now have juice bars within their facility to encourage people towards healthy drinking. In order words, it is very important for gyms to continue to improvise if they want to grow their business and generate their target revenues.
- Our Target Market
The target market for gyms cuts across people of different walks of life. The fact that people register in gyms and fitness clubs for various reasons makes marketing the business interesting. The target market for gym and fitness centers can be categorized into three various groups.
The first group is the people who are looking towards shedding some weight through proper exercising and under the guidance of a qualified instructor. The other group of people are those who are interested in building their biceps (body building), and the last group of people are those who just want to enroll for cardio sessions under the watchful eyes of a qualified trainer. These sessions are a combination of light weights, treadmills and bikes.
Fit as Fiddle Gym and Fitness Club will work towards providing services, facilities and environment that will help us reach out to our target market. These are the category of people that we intend marketing our gym and fitness club to;
- Corporate Executives
- Business People
- Sportsmen and Sportswomen
- Young Couples
Our Competitive Advantage
Fit as Fiddle Gym and Fitness Club is centrally located in a densely populated – residential area in Irving, Texas; this is obviously going to give us an edge amongst our competitors. We equally have a team of highly qualified professionals who will work with all our clients to achieve their aims or enrolling in our gym and lastly our membership package is one of the best that anybody living in Texas can get; it is cheap and affordable.
We can confidently say that the location of our gym will definitely count as a positive for us amongst any competitor that might start a gym and fitness business in same location where ours is located. We will continue to work hard to ensure continuous improvement in our facility and service delivery. As a matter of fact, our services will be second to none in Texas.
Sample Gym Business Plan Template – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Our marketing strategies will be directed towards achieving specific objectives that support the strategic goals of the organization. The truth is that all that we do will be geared towards creating new market channels, increasing sales and increase our market share. We will leverage on improving on our services and facility to ensure that we win new clients and retain old members.
At Fit as Fiddle Gym and Fitness Club, our marketing strategies will be consistent throughout the marketing mix and we will take into consideration product improvement, promotion, and price. As part of our sales and marketing strategies, we will pay attention to the promotion of our gym so as to attract people to enroll and become members of our gym.
Our unique selling proposition is that we are well positioned and people can easily access our facility, our prices are affordable and we have a complete package for families. Parts of the marketing and sales strategies that we will adopt are;
- Open our gym and fitness club with a big party in the neighborhood.
- Advertise our gym and fitness club on national dailies, local TV stations and local radio station
- Promote our gym and fitness club online via our official website and all available social media platforms
- Continuously Improve the performance of our brands
- Hire the services of experts to make our brands the first choice for people in Irving, Texas
- Deliver consistent customer experiences to all our members; making our first impression count positively to those making use of our gym facility for the first time
- Make use of attractive hand bills to create awareness and also to give direction to our gym and fitness club
- Adopt direct mailing coupon marketing approach
- Position our signage / flexi banners at strategic places
- Create a loyalty plan that will enable us reward our consistent members especially those that registered as a family
- Engage on road shows within our neighborhood to create awareness for our gym and fitness club.
Our Pricing Strategy
Our pricing system is going to be based on what is obtainable in the industry, we don’t intend to charge more (except for premium and customized services) and we don’t intend to charge less than what our competitors charge their members in Irving, TX.
Be that as it may, we have put plans in place to offer discount services once in a while and also to reward our loyal customers especially when they refer clients to us or when they register as a family. The prices of our services will be same as what is obtainable in the United States’ open market.
- Payment Options
Our payment policy is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different people prefer different payment options as it suits them. Here are the payment options that will be available to clients who want to make payment / register for our gym program;
- Payment by cash
- Payment by check
- Payment via Point of Sale (POS) Machine
- Payment via online bank transfer (online payment portal)
- Payment via Mobile money
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will help us achieve our payment plans without any difficulty.
Sample Fitness Center Business Plan Template – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Fit as Fiddle Gym and Fitness Club is in Irving for serious business, which is why we have identified key platforms that will enable us achieve our goal of promoting and advertising our business so as to attract the crop of people that we designed our business for.
We have been able to enter into alliance with key stakeholders in Irving, Texas to help us use their good will to promote our business. We will ensure that we leverage on all conventional and non – conventional publicity and advertising technique to promote our gym and fitness club. Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Sean and Sharon Hotel, Las Vegas;
- Encourage our loyal members to help us use Word of Mouth mode of advertisement (referrals)
- Advertise our gym and fitness club in sports magazines, local newspaper, local TV stations and local radio station
- Promote our gym and fitness club online via our official website
- List our gym and fitness club on local directories (yellow pages)
- Sponsor relevant community sport events
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook , twitter, et al to promote our brand
- Install our Bill Boards on strategic locations
- Direct coupon mailing approach to introduce our gym and fitness club to residence
- Engage in road show from time to time to create awareness of our gym and fitness club in the residential areas around our facility
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
Start – Up Expenditure (Budget)
These are the types of exercise equipment that we will make available in our gym and fitness center;
- Resistance bands
- Weight machines
- Flexion machines
- Pull-up bars
- Wall bars
- Weight training
- Elliptical trainer
- Street Strider (elliptical cross trainer on wheels)
- Exercise machine
- Kettle bell
- Fitness (biology)
- Hojo undō
- Pull-up bar
- Medicine balls
- Boxing Gear
- Gym flooring
- Cable Attachments
- Weight plates
- Wearable items as proper footgear, gloves, and hydration packs.
- Filing Cabinets
- Notice board
- Employee Uniform
Generating Funding / Startup Capital for Fit as Fiddle Gym and Fitness Club
Fit as Fiddle Gym and Fitness Club is a family business and it will be financed by the owner who is also the gym manager. These are the areas where we intend sourcing for fund for Fit as Fiddle Gym and Fitness Club;
- Generate part of the start – up capital from personal savings and sale of his stocks
- Generate part of the start – up capital from family members and friends (soft loans and gifts et al)
- Generate a larger chunk of the startup capital from the banks (loan facility).
Sample Gym & Fitness Center Business Plan Template – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
We are in business to make profits and to build a popular gym and fitness brand in Irvin, Texas, hence we must do all it takes to grow the business and to ensure that the business survives generation after generation. Part of the plans we have put in place to sustain our business is to ensure that we continue to deliver quality services, acquire latest gym and fitness equipment and improvise on better and cheaper packages four members and intended members.
Our workers will sure continue to enjoy working with us because we will deliberately make it our work environment very conducive and accommodating. Furthermore, we are quite aware that our customers are key components to the growth and survival of our business hence we are going to continuously engage them to give us ideas on how to serve them better. We will not waste time in diversifying our services; expand our product and service offerings once the need arises.
Check List / Milestone
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Acquiring facility and remodeling the facility: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging Marketing / Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the Needed gym and fitness equipment, electronic appliances, office appliances and suppliers: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: Completed
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and in the neighborhood: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party / launching party planning: In Progress