Are you about starting a breakfast restaurant? If YES, here’s a complete sample breakfast restaurant business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE to get started.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a breakfast restaurant. We have analyzed and drafted a sample breakfast restaurant marketing plan backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for breakfast restaurant. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- Why Start a Breakfast Restaurant Business?
- Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – Executive Summary
- Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – SWOT Analysis
- Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
- Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Why Start a Breakfast Restaurant Business?
Did you know that starting a breakfast related business is one sure way of getting good returns on your investment? This is because a lot of people who leave their houses very early in the morning may not have time to eat breakfast before venturing out; and this makes this business a profitable one no matter the country of the world it is situated.
Even though there is competition in the restaurant industry, but if you are determined to start a business in the industry, you can still win a fair share of the market within your area of specialization.
So if you have decided to start your own breakfast restaurant business, then you should ensure that you carry out thorough feasibility studies and also market survey. Business plan is yet another very important business document you should not take for granted when launching your breakfast restaurant business.
Below is a sample breakfast restaurant business plan template that can help you to successfully write your own with little or no difficulty.
A Sample Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan Template
- Industry Overview
Breakfast restaurant falls under the Chain Restaurant industry and the industry comprises chain and franchised restaurants that provide food services to patrons who order and are served while seated (i.e. waiter or waitress service), and pay after eating. These establishments may provide this type of food service to patrons in combination with selling alcoholic and other beverages.
A close observation of the industry shows that the industry experienced steady growth over the last half decade. During the stated period, as per capita income increased and unemployment declined, consumer confidence improved, giving rise to greater spending on sit-down meals.
Even though the average industry profit margin remains slim, profit margins at most chains have increased over the last five years, as revenue has grown and costs have been kept under control. The Chain Restaurants industry runs of steady growth is projected to moderate in the coming years. It is also projected that consumers will increase their spending at restaurants as the economy continues to improve and unemployment rate drops.
Statistics has it that in the United States of America alone, there are about 789 registered and licensed chains of restaurants scattered all across the United States responsible for employing about 1,861,015 people and the industry rakes in a whooping sum of $108 billion annually. The industry is projected to enjoy a 4.3 percent annual growth within 2011 and 2016. Darden Restaurants Inc. and Dine Equity are the leaders in the Chain Restaurants industry.
A recent report published by IBISWorld shows that the Chain Restaurants industry has a low level of market share concentration. The report stated that in 2016, the four largest industry players are estimated to account for about 21.2 percent of the available market share.
The industry is made up of a vast array of chain and franchised restaurant operators and food concepts, as well as the extensive number of sites they operate. A number of chains and franchised operators have establishments that are spread nationally and even internationally.
The report further stated that in the past five years, the industry’s concentration level has fallen slightly because a number of conglomerates have offloaded underperforming chains to private equity firms. In 2014, Darden Restaurants offloaded its 600-plus Red Lobster restaurants to Golden Gate Capital for $2.1 billion.
In summary, it is safe to state that the breakfast restaurant business is a profitable industry and it is open for any aspiring entrepreneur to come in and establish his or her business; you can choose to start on a small scale in a street corner like the average mom and pop business or you can choose to start on a large scale with several outlets in key cities all across the United States of America.
Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – Executive Summary
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is a world-class restaurant business with a niche in breakfast style services that will be located in Nassau-Suffolk, New York. We have been able to secure a long term lease agreement for a standard restaurant facility in a perfect location in the heart of the city that is prone to human and vehicular traffic.
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC will be involved in serving breakfast to our customers. We are aware that that there are other standard breakfast restaurants all around Nassau-Suffolk – New York which is why we spent time and resources to conduct our feasibility studies and market survey. We have a wide array of breakfast suitable food options for our customers, and our outlet has various payment options.
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC will at all times demonstrate her commitment to sustainability, both individually and as a firm, by actively participating in our communities and integrating sustainable business practices wherever possible. We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our client’s needs precisely and completely.
We are going to be a customer-centric breakfast restaurant business with a service culture that will be deeply rooted in the fabric of our organizational structure.
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is a family owned and managed business that believes in the pursuit of excellence and financial success with uncompromising services and integrity. We are certain that our values will help us drive the business to enviable heights and also help us attract the clients that will make our business highly profitable.
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is a family business that is owned by Dorothy Harrison and her immediate family members. Dorothy Harrison has a B.Sc. in Food Science and a Diploma in Business Administration from the University of New Jersey, with over 12 years’ experience in the restaurant industry. Although the business is launching out with just one outlet in Nassau-Suffolk – North Carolina, but there is a plan to open other outlets around North Carolina and in other key cities in the United States of America.
- Our Products and Services Offerings
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is in the chain restaurant industry to make profits and we will ensure we make available well-prepared local and intercontinental breakfast suitable dishes and drinks to our clients. Our product and service offerings are listed below;
- Breakfast meals
- Fruits and salads
Our Vision Statement
Our vision is to establish a breakfast restaurant that will become the number one choice for both residents and tourists in and around our restaurant location.
- Our Mission Statement
Our mission is to establish a standard and world – class breakfast restaurant business that will sell franchises all across the United States of America and other countries of the world. We want to become a household name.
- Our Business Structure
The success of any business is dependent on the business structure of the organization and the people who occupy the available roles. Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC will work with a business structure that will give room to employees to explore their creativity, and grow through the corporate ladder of the organization. We will ensure that we put the right structures in place that will support the kind of growth we have in mind while setting up the business.
We will ensure that we hire people that are qualified, honest, customer centric and are ready to work to help us build a prosperous business that will benefit all our stake holders. As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our senior management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of ten years or more.
In view of that, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Chef (Owner)
- Restaurant Manager
- Human Resources and Amin Manager
- Sales and Marketing Manager
Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Chef – CEO (Owner):
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results and developing incentives
- Creates, communicates, and implements the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
Admin and HR Manager
- Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- Defines job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carries out induction for new team members
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- Responsible for arranging travel, meetings and appointments
- Oversees the smooth running of the daily office activities.
- Responsible for managing the daily activities in the breakfast restaurant
- Ensures that the restaurant facility is in tip top shape and conducive enough to welcome customers
- Interfaces with third – party providers (vendors)
- Attends to Customers complains and enquiries
- Any other duty as assigned by the CEO
- Responsible for preparing different meals as requested by customers
- Makes lists and budget for cooking supplies
- Oversees the entire coking process
- Responsible for training new cooks
- Makes sure that quality is maintained at all times
- Responsible for purchasing food ingredients for the organization
- Ensures that the kitchen is kept clean at all times
- Any other duty as assigned by the Chief Chef.
Sales and Marketing Manager
- Identifies, prioritizes, and reaches out to new partners, and business opportunities et al
- Identifies development opportunities; follows up on development leads and contacts
- Responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- Documents all customer contact and information
- Represents the company in strategic meetings
- Helps increase sales and growth for the business
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensures compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the organization
- Serves as internal auditor for the organization
- Interacts with customers, take orders for drinks, food and snacks.
- Presents bar menu
- Checks identification of the guest to make sure they meet age requirements for purchase of alcohol and tobacco products.
- Promptly attends to customers in a friendly and professional manner
- Ensures that customers order is properly taken and delivered
- Ensures that un-occupied tables are always set and ready for customers
- Pulls out chairs for customers as they arrive
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the Chief Chef / Restaurant manager
- Responsible for cleaning the restaurant facility at all times
- Ensures that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the restaurant manager.
Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – SWOT Analysis
Breakfast restaurants can easily generate business deals with little stress as long as they have good delicacies and are well positioned to carry out their functions.
We are quite aware that there are several breakfast restaurants all over Nassau-Suffolk – New York and even in the same location where we intend locating ours, which is why we are following the due process of establishing a business.
We know that if a proper SWOT analysis is conducted for our business, we will be able to position our business to maximize our strength, leverage on the opportunities that will be available to us, mitigate our risks and be equipped to confront our threats.
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC employed the services of an expert HR and Business Analyst with bias in the restaurant and fast food line of business to help us conduct a thorough SWOT analysis and to help us create a business model that will help us achieve our business goals and objectives.
This is the summary of the SWOT analysis that was conducted for Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC;
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is located in – between a densely populated residential estate and business district in the heart of Nassau-Suffolk – New York; our location is in fact one of our major strengths. We are also one of the very few breakfast restaurants in the whole of Nassau-Suffolk – New York that is equipped to prepare a wide range of both intercontinental and local breakfast meals. Another strength that counts for us is the power of our workforce and management.
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is a new business which is owned by an individual (family), and we may not have the financial muscle to sustain the kind of publicity we want to give our business and also to attract some of the well – experienced chefs in the industry.
We are centrally located in one of the busiest area in Nassau-Suffolk – New York and we are open to all the available opportunities that the city has to offer. Our business concept also positioned us to be a one stop shop. The truth is that there are no standard breakfast restaurants within the area where ours is going to be located; the closest to our proposed location is about 6 miles away. In a nutshell, we do not have any direct competition within our target market area.
Some of the threats that are likely going to confront Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC are unfavorable government policies, seasonal fluctuations, demographic / social factors, downturn in the economy which is likely going to affect consumers spending and of course emergence of new competitors within the same location where ours is located.
Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
One common trend in the industry is that, the more the varieties of meals you can cook (that is local and intercontinental meals suitable for breakfast) the easier for you to welcome customers from different cultures and class.
For this singular reason, most aspiring chefs ensure that they learn how to make a wide variety of meals before launching their business. Aside from that, any chef that is worth his or her salt and would want to continue to remain a leader in the industry.
Another interesting trend in this industry is that, in keeping consumers’ appetites satisfied, breakfast restaurants have created new menu options that capitalize on the trend of increasing awareness of the health risks associated with a high – fat diets. The industry has also thrived by developing meals at price points attractive enough to weather the slow recovery, resulting in strong revenue growth.
- Our Target Market
Breakfast restaurant is such a business that you can hardly find someone who don’t patronize them, because everybody eats breakfast except when they are fasting. As a matter of fact, most breakfast restaurants now have menu options for people on different diets.
We are in business to services the following groups of people;
- Event/Party planners
- The government (government guest)
- Busy corporate executives
- Busy businessmen and business women
- Foreign Diplomats and their families
- Sports Men and Women
Our Competitive Advantage
A close study of the restaurant industry reveals that the market has become much more intensely competitive over the last decade. As a matter of fact, you have to be highly creative, customer centric and proactive if you must survive in this industry. We are aware of the stiff competition and we are prepared to compete favorably with other breakfast restaurants and other restaurants in Nassau-Suffolk – New York.
Our competitive advantages are our access to multi – skilled and flexible workforce, our ability to quickly adopt new technology and proximity to key markets. Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is launching a standard breakfast restaurant that will indeed become the preferred choice of residents of Nassau-Suffolk – New York. Our breakfast restaurant is located in a corner piece property on a busy road directly opposite one of the largest residential estates in Nassau-Suffolk.
One of our business goals is to make Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant a one stop breakfast restaurant. Our excellent customer service culture, online store, various payment options and highly secured facility will serve as a competitive advantage for us.
Lastly, our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the industry, meaning that they will be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and objectives.
Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
We are in the Breakfast restaurant industry to maximize profits and we are going to ensure that we achieve or business goals and objectives. In essence, our source of income will be the preparing and sale of;
- Breakfast meals
- Beverage sales
- Fruits and salads
One thing is certain, when it comes to breakfast restaurants, if your restaurant is centrally positioned and you have tasty and well prepared delicacies suitable for breakfast, you will always attract customers cum sales and that will sure translate to increase in revenue generation for the business.
We are well positioned to take on the available market in Nassau-Suffolk – New York and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough income/profits from our first six months of operation. We have been able to critically examine the chains restaurant industry and we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast.
Below are the sales projections for Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant. It is based on the location of our business and other factors as it relates to breakfast restaurant startups in the United States;
- First Fiscal Year: $220,000
- Second Fiscal Year: $450,000
- Third Fiscal Year: $700,000
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor serving same delicacies as we do within same location. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
The marketing strategy for Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is going to be driven basically by tasty and sumptuous meals suitable for breakfast, excellent customers service and quality service delivery. We want to drive sales via the output of our jobs and via referral from our satisfied customers. We are quite aware of how satisfied customers drive business growth especially businesses like breakfast restaurants and related niche restaurants.
Our sales and marketing team will be recruited based on their vast experience in the industry and they will be trained on a regular basis so as to be equipped to meet their targets.
Our goal is to grow Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC to become the leading breakfast restaurant in Nassau-Suffolk – New York which is why we have mapped out strategy that will help us take advantage of the available market.
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is set to make use of the following marketing and sales strategies to attract clients;
- Open our breakfast restaurant in a grand style with a party for all.
- Introduce our breakfast restaurant business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to corporate organizations, schools, event planners, households and key stake holders in Nassau-Suffolk – New York
- Ensure that we make wide varieties of both intercontinental and local delicacies suitable for breakfast in our restaurant at all times.
- Make use of attractive hand bills to create awareness and also to give direction to our restaurant
- Position our signage/flexi banners at strategic places around Nassau-Suffolk – New York
- Position our greeters to welcome and direct potential customers
- Create a loyalty plan that will enable us reward our regular customers
- Engage in roadshows within our neighborhood to create awareness for our breakfast restaurant.
Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is set to create a standard for breakfast restaurant business in Nassau-Suffolk – New York, which is why we will adopt best practices to promote our business. Good enough there is no hard and fast rule on how to advertise or promote a breakfast restaurant.
The challenge is that most startups do not have the required money to pump into publicity and advertising. The cash they have is usually reserved to take care of overhead and operational cost. Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC;
- Encourage our loyal customers to help us use Word of Mouth mode of advertisement (referrals)
- Advertise our business in relevant food and healthy lifestyle magazines, local newspaper, local TV and radio station
- Promote our business online via our official website
- List our business on local directories (yellow pages)
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook, twitter, et al to promote our brand
- Install our billboards in strategic locations in and around Nassau-Suffolk – New York
- Direct coupon mailing approach
- Engage in roadshow from time to time in target communities
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
- Ensure that all our staff members wear our customized clothes, and all our official cars and trucks are customized.
Our Pricing Strategy
At Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC, our pricing system is going to be based on what is obtainable in the industry especially as it relates to breakfast restaurants. Be that as it may, we have put plans in place to offer discount services once in a while and also to reward our loyal customers especially when they refer clients to us.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC will make available to her clients;
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our client make payment for our food and drinks without any stress on their part.
- Startup Expenditure (Budget)
From the comprehensive market survey and feasibility studies conducted, we were able to place figures on the things needed to set up a standard breakfast restaurant business and here are the key areas where we will spend our startup capital;
- The total fee for registering the business in the United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $1,300.
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC in the amount of $3,500 and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of – $3,580.
- The cost for hiring Business Consultant – $2,500.
- The cost for insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400.
- The cost for payment of rent for 12 months at $1.76 per square feet in the total amount of $105,600.
- The cost for construction of a standard breakfast restaurant and kitchen – $100,000.
- Other start-up expenses including stationery ($500) and phone and utility deposits ($2,500).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $100,000
- The cost for start-up inventory (cooking ingredients, beverages, eggs, provisions and drinks et al) – $80,000
- Storage hardware (bins, rack, shelves, food case) – $3,720
- The cost for counter area equipment (counter top, sink, ice machine, etc.) – $9,500
- The cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $13,750
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al) – $4,000.
- The cost of launching a website – $600
- The cost for our opening party – $10,000
- Miscellaneous – $10,000
We would need an estimate of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($250,000) to successfully set up our breakfast restaurant in the United States of America.
Generating Startup Capital for Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is a private business that is solely owned by Dorothy Harrison. She does not intend to welcome any external business partners which is why she has decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital to 3 major sources.
These are the areas we intend generating our startup capital;
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from the bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $100,000 (Personal savings $80,000 and soft loan from family members $20,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $150,000 from our bank. All the papers and documents have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited with the amount.
Breakfast Restaurant Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the number of loyal customers they have, the capacity and competence of their employees, their investment strategy and the business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business, then it won’t be too long before the business closes shop.
One of our major goals of starting Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running. We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to retail our foods, coffees and soft drinks a little bit cheaper than what is obtainable in the market and we are prepared to survive on lower profit margin for a while.
Early Bird® Breakfast Restaurant, LLC will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and retraining of our workforce is at the top burner.
We know that if this is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Leasing of facility and remodeling the facility to fit into a standard breakfast restaurant: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed furniture, racks, shelves, computers, electronic appliances, office appliances and CCTV: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party/launching party planning: In Progress
- Compilation of our list of products that will be available in our shop: Completed
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – suppliers of cooking ingredients: In Progress