Do you want to start a pop up restaurant and need to write a plan? If YES, here is a sample pop up restaurant business plan template & feasibility report. Despite the fact that there are competitions in the restaurant industry in the United States, but if you are determined to start a business in the industry, you can still win a fair share of the available market within your area of specialization or the locations you intend launching the business.
That is why it is expedient to choose a niche that is well accepted and one of such niches is to start a pop up restaurant. A pop up restaurant can be defined as a short-term restaurant that allows chefs to try out new concepts, test new audiences, experiment with edgier cuisine, fundraise money, or draw new investors without the expense of opening a traditional restaurant.
A Sample Pop Up Restaurant Business Plan Template
Table of Content
- 2. Executive Summary
- 5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 6. SWOT Analysis
- 7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- 13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
1. Industry Overview
Pop up restaurants fall under the Chain Restaurant industry and the industry comprises chain and franchised restaurants that provide food services to patrons who order and are served while seated (i.e. waiter or waitress service), and pay after eating.
These establishments may provide this type of food service to patrons in combination with selling alcoholic and other beverages. Please note that a pop up restaurant is a temporary restaurant and most often than not, these restaurants usually find it convenient to operate from a private home, former factory, or similar space, and during festivals.
Pop-up restaurants have been popular since the 2000s in Britain and Australia, but they are not a new phenomenon. Pop-up restaurants have existed in the united states and Cuba. Diners typically make use of social media, such as the blogosphere and Twitter, to follow the movement of these restaurants and make online reservations.
A close observation of the Chain Restaurants industry shows that the industry experienced steady growth over the last half decade. During the stated period, as per capita income increased and unemployment declined, consumer confidence improved, giving rise to greater spending on sit-down meals.
Even though the average industry profit margin remains slim, profit margins at most chains have increased over the last five years, as revenue has grown and costs have been kept under control. The Chain Restaurants industry run of steady growth is projected to moderate in the coming years. It is also projected that consumers will increase their spending at restaurants as the economy continues to improve and unemployment rate drops.
Statistics has it that in the United States of America alone, there are about 789 registered and licensed chains of restaurants (pop up restaurants inclusive) scattered all across the United States responsible for employing about 1,861,015 people and the industry rakes in a whooping sum of $108 billion annually. The industry is projected to enjoy 4.3 percent annual growth within 2011 and 2016.
The industry is made up of a vast array of chain and franchised restaurant operators and food concepts, as well as the extensive number of sites they operate. A number of chains and franchised operators have establishments that are spread nationally and even internationally.
The report further stated that in the past five years, the industry’s concentration level has fallen slightly because a number of conglomerates have offloaded underperforming chains to private equity firms. Most recently in 2014 Darden Restaurants offloaded its 600-plus Red Lobster restaurants to Golden Gate Capital for $2.1 billion.
In summary, it is safe to state that the pop restaurant business is a profitable industry and it is open for any aspiring entrepreneur to come in and establish his or her business in any city in the United States of America.
2. Executive Summary
Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is a world-class restaurant business with a niche in pop up restaurant style services that will be located in San Francisco County – California. We are deliberate about our business location because San Francisco County can boast of per capita personal income of over $100,000, and is among 2 of the top 12 highest-income counties in the United States.
We have been able to secure a short – term lease agreement for a make – shift restaurant facility in the heart of the city. Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC will be involved in operating a short-term restaurant that allows chefs to try out new concepts, test new audiences, experiment with edgier cuisine, fundraise money, and draw new investors without the expense of opening a traditional restaurant.
We are aware that that there are other standard restaurants all around San Francisco County – California which is why we spent time and resources to conduct our feasibility studies and market survey so as to offer much more than our competitors will be offering.
We have a wide array of food and wine cum drink options for our customers, and our outlet is well secured with the various payment options. Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC will at all times demonstrate her commitment to sustainability, both individually and as a firm, by actively participating in our communities and integrating sustainable business practices wherever possible.
We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our client’s needs precisely and completely. We are going to be a customer-centric pop up restaurant business with a service culture that will be deeply rooted in the fabric of our organizational structure and indeed at all levels of the organization.
With that, we know that we will be enables to consistently achieve our set business goals, increase our profitability and reinforce our positive long-term relationships with our clientele, partners (vendors), and all our employees as well.
Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is owned by Martins Jones and his immediate family members. Martins Jones is an American young chef, he has a B.Sc. in Food Science and a Diploma in Business Administration, with about 2 years’ experience in the restaurant industry, working for some of the leading brands in the United States.
Although the business is launching out with just one outlet in San Francisco County – California, but there is a plan to open other outlets in the Greater Los Angeles Area, Marin County and in other key cities in the United States of America.
3. Our Products and Services
Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is in the restaurant industry to make profits and we will ensure we establish a standard restaurant and make available well – prepared local and intercontinental dishes and drinks to our clients.
We are prepared to make profits from the industry and we will do all that is permitted by the law in the United States to achieve our business goals, aim and ambition. Our product and service offerings are listed below;
- American food sales
- Intercontinental food sales
- Assorted wines
- Beverage sales
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our vision is to establish Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC as the premier pop up restaurant concept while maintaining an unwavering dedication to our people, values and principles.
- Our mission is to start a pop up restaurant business that will raise the required capital to establish a standard restaurant in the United States of America.
Our Business Structure
The success of any business is to a larger extent dependent on the business structure of the organization and the people who occupy the available roles. Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC will work with a business structure that will give room to employees to explore their creativity and grow through the corporate ladder of the organization when we transit from pop up to full-time restaurant.
We will ensure that we put the right structures in place that will support the kind of growth that we have in mind while setting up the business. We will ensure that we hire people that are qualified, honest, customer centric and are ready to work to help us build a prosperous business that will benefit all our stake holders (the owners, workforce, and customers).
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our senior management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of ten years or more. In view of that, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Chef (Owner)
- Restaurant Manager
- Human Resources and Admin Manager
- Sales and Marketing Manager
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Chef – CEO (Owner):
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Creating, communicating, and implementing the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
- Reports to the board
Admin and HR Manager
- Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Defining job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carrying out induction for new team members
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- Responsible for arranging travel, meetings and appointments
- Oversee the smooth running of the daily office activities.
- Responsible for managing the daily activities in the pop up restaurant (kitchen inclusive)
- Ensure that the restaurant facility is in tip top shape and conducive enough to welcome customers
- Interfaces with third – party providers (vendors)
- Interface with investors and donors
- Organize fund raising events
- Attends to Customers complains and enquiries
- Prepares budget and reports for the organization
- Any other duty as assigned by the CEO
- Responsible for preparing different meals as requested by our clients
- Make lists and budget for cooking supplies
- Oversee the entire cooking process
- Responsible for training new cooks
- Makes sure that quality is maintained at all times
- Responsible for purchasing food ingredients for the organization
- Ensures that the kitchen is kept clean at all times
- Ensures that all kitchen wares are kept at their proper position after use.
- Any other duty as assigned by the Chief Chef.
Sales and Marketing Manager
- Manage external research and coordinate all the internal sources of information to retain the organizations best customers and attract new ones
- Model demographic information and analyze the volumes of transactional data generated by customer purchases
- Identify, prioritize, and reach out to new partners, and business opportunities et al
- Identifies development opportunities; follows up on development leads and contacts
- Responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- Document all customer contact and information
- Represent the company in strategic meetings
- Help increase sales and growth for the business
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensuring compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the organization
- Serves as internal auditor for the organization
- Interact with customers, take orders for drinks, food and snacks.
- Plan and present bar menu.
- Check identification of the guest to make sure they meet age requirements for purchase of alcohol and tobacco products.
- Mix drinks, cocktails and other bar beverages as ordered and in compliance with hotel standard drink recipes.
- Assist in the movement of cooking utensils, plates, spoons and other relevant wares
- Promptly attends to customers in a friendly and professional manner
- Ensures that customers order is properly taken and delivered
- Ensures that un-occupied tables are always set and ready for customers
- Pulls out chairs for customers as they arrive
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the Chief Chef/Restaurant manager
- Responsible for cleaning the restaurant facility at all times
- Ensure that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the restaurant manager.
6. SWOT Analysis
Pop up restaurants can easily generate business sales with little stress as long as they have delicacies and are well positioned and equipped to carry out their functions.
We are quite aware that there are several pop up restaurants all over San Francisco County – California and even in the same location where we intend locating ours, which is why we are following the due process of establishing a business.
We know that if a proper SWOT analysis is conducted for our business, we will be able to position our business to maximize our strength, leverage on the opportunities that will be available to us, mitigate our risks and be equipped to confront our threats.
Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC employed the services of an expert HR and Business Analyst with bias in the restaurant and fast food business to help us conduct a thorough SWOT analysis and to help us create a Business model that will help us achieve our business goals and objectives.
This is the summary of the SWOT analysis that was conducted for Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC;
Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is centrally located between a densely populated residential estate and a business district in the heart of San Francisco County – California; our location is in fact one of our major strength. We are also one of the very few pop up restaurants in the whole of San Francisco County – California that will prepare a wide range of both intercontinental and local dishes.
Another strength that counts for us is the power of our team; our workforce and management. We have a team that are considered experts in the restaurant line of business, a team of hardworking and dedicated individuals.
Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is a new business which is own by an individual (family), and we may not have the financial muscle to sustain the kind of publicity we want to give our business, to attract some of the biggest donors in town, and also to attract some of the well – experienced chefs in the industry.
Some of the highest income counties in California are Marin County and San Francisco County, which both can boast of per capita personal incomes of over $100,000, and are 2 of the top 12 highest-income counties in the United States.
As a matter of fact, some coastal cities include some of the wealthiest per-capita areas in the U.S., notably in the San Francisco Bay Area and the Greater Los Angeles Area. The truth is that there are no standard pop up restaurants within the area where ours is going to be located; the closest to our proposed location is about 6 miles away. In a nutshell, we do not have any direct competition within our target market area.
Some of the threats that are likely going to confront Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC are unfavorable government policies, demographic/social factors, downturn in the economy which is likely going to affect consumer spending and of course emergence of new competitors within our location.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
Interestingly, pop-up restaurants, like food trucks, are an effective way for young professionals to gain exposure of their skills in the field of hospitality.
One common trend in the industry is that, the more the varieties of meals you can cook (that is local and intercontinental meals) the easier it is for you to welcome a barrage of customers from different cultures and class. For this singular reason, most aspiring entrepreneur ensure that they learn how to make a wide variety of both intercontinental and local meals before launching their business.
So also, in keeping consumers’ appetites satisfied, pop up restaurants have created new menu options that capitalize on the increasing awareness of the health risks associated with a high – fat diets. These trends are expected to continue and contribute to revenue growth going forward.
8. Our Target Market
One thing about pop up restaurants is that you can hardly find someone who don’t patronize them. In view of that, we have positioned our pop up restaurants to service the residents of San Francisco County – California and every other location where our chains of pop up restaurants will be located.
We have conducted our market research and we have ideas of what our target market would be expecting from us. We are in business to sell our food to the following groups of people;
- Busy corporate executives
- Busy businessmen and business women
- Sports Men and Women
- College Students
Our competitive advantages are our access to multi – skilled and flexible chefs and workforce, our ability to quickly adopt new technology and proximity to key markets. Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is launching a standard pop up restaurant that will indeed become the preferred choice of residents of San Francisco County – California.
Our pop up restaurant is located in a corner piece property on a busy road directly opposite one of the largest residential estates in San Francisco County. We have enough parking space that can accommodate well over 15 cars per time.
One thing is certain, we will ensure that we have wide varieties of both intercontinental and local dishes available in our restaurant at all times. One of our business goals is to make Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC a one stop pop up restaurant. Our excellent customer service culture, various payment options and highly secured facility will serve as a competitive advantage for us.
Lastly, our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category (startups pop up restaurant) in the industry, meaning that they will be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and objectives. We will also give good working conditions and commissions to freelance sales agents that we will recruit from time to time.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is in business to prepare and serve a wide variety of both intercontinental and local dishes and wines/drinks to the residents of San Francisco County – California. We are in the restaurant industry to maximize profits and we are going to ensure that we achieve or business goals and objectives.
Our source of income will be the preparing and sale of;
- American food sales
- Intercontinental food sales
- Assorted wines
- Beverage sales
10. Sales Forecast
One thing is certain when it comes to pop up restaurants, if your restaurant is centrally positioned and you have tasty delicacies, you will always attract customers cum sales.
We are well positioned to take on the available market in San Francisco County – California and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough income/profits from the first six months of operation and grow the business and our clientele base.
We have been able to examine the pop up restaurant business, we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast. Below are the sales projections for Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC, it is based on the location of our business and other factors as it relates to pop up restaurant startups in the United States;
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $350,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $450,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $600,000
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor serving same delicacies as we do within same location. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher depending on how our donors and investors respond during our fund raising events.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
The marketing strategy for Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is going to be driven basically by tasty and sumptuous meals, excellent customers service and quality service delivery. We want to drive sales via our delicacies and via referral from our satisfied customers. We are quite aware of how satisfied customers drive business growth especially businesses like pop up restaurants.
Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is strategically located and we are going to maximize the opportunities that are available to us which is why we spent more to locate the business in a location that will be visible and accessible to our target market.
Our sales and marketing team will be recruited based on their vast experience in the industry and they will be trained on a regular basis so as to be well equipped to meet their targets and the overall goal of Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC.
Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is set to make use of the following marketing and sales strategies to attract clients;
- Open our pop up restaurant in a grand style with a party for all.
- Introduce our pop up restaurant business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to residents, corporate organizations, schools, event planners, households and key stake holders in San Francisco County – California
- Ensure that we make wide varieties of both intercontinental and local delicacies in our restaurant at all times.
- Make use of attractive hand bills to create awareness and also to give direction to our restaurant
- Position our signage/flexi banners at strategic places around San Francisco County – California
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is set to create a standard for the pop up restaurant business in San Francisco County – California and throughout the United States which is why we will adopt and apply best practices to promote our business.
Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC;
- Encourage our loyal customers to help us use Word of Mouth advertisement (referrals)
- Advertise our business in relevant food and lifestyle magazines, local newspaper, local TV and radio stations
- Promote our business online via our official website
- List our business on local directories (yellow pages)
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook, twitter, et al to promote our brand
- Install our Billboards in strategic locations in and around San Francisco County – California
- Direct coupon mailing approach
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
- Ensure that all our staff members wear our customized clothes, and all our official cars and trucks are customized and well branded.
12. Our Pricing Strategy
At Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC, our pricing system is going to be based on what is obtainable in the pop up restaurants industry, we don’t intend to charge more (except for premium and customized services) and we don’t intend to charge less than our competitors are offering in San Francisco County – California.
Be that as it may, we have put plans in place to offer discount services once in a while and also to reward our loyal customers especially when they refer clients to us.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC will make available to her clients;
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
- Payment via bank draft
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our client make payment for our food and drinks without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
After following due process, we were able to come up with estimates that we would need to establish our pop up restaurant and these are the key areas where we will spend our startup capital on;
- The total fee for registering the business in the United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $1,300.
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC in the amount of $3,500 and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of – $3,580.
- The cost for hiring Business Consultant (Writing of Business Plans inclusive) – $2,500.
- The cost for insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400.
- The cost for payment of rent for 12 months at $1.76 per square feet in the total amount of $45,600.
- The cost for construction of a standard pop up restaurant and kitchen – $50,000.
- Other start-up expenses including stationery ($500) and phone and utility deposits ($2,500).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $40,000
- The cost for start-up inventory (cooking ingredients and drinks et al) – $25,000
- Storage hardware (bins, rack, shelves, food case) – $3,720
- The cost for counter area equipment (counter top, sink, ice machine, etc.) – $9,500
- The cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $3,750
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al) – $4,000.
- The cost of launching a website – $600
- Miscellaneous – $5,000
We would need an estimate of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($250,000) to successfully set up our pop up restaurant in the United States of America. Please note that this amount includes the salaries of all staff for the first month of operation.
Generating Funds/Startup Capital for Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC
Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is a private business that is owned and financed by Martins Jones and his immediate family members. They do not intend to welcome any external business partners which is why he has decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital to 3 major sources.
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from my Bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $50,000 (Personal savings $40,000 and soft loan from family members $10,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $200,000 from our bank. All the papers and document have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited with the amount.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Part of the plans we have in place to sustain Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC is to ensure that we continue to make available a wide range of American and intercontinental meals and drinks, deliver quality services, improvise on how to do things faster and cheaper. We are not going to relent in providing conducive environment for our workers and also the required trainings that will help them deliver excellent services at all times.
Another factor that kills new businesses is financial leakages. In order to plug financial leakages, the management of Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC will adopt the use of payment machine and accounting software to run the business.
We are quite aware that our customers are a key component to the growth and survival of our business hence we are going to continuously engage them to give us ideas on how to serve them better and the meals and drinks they want to see in our menu.
We will not waste time in adopting new technology, best practices and diversifying our services. Martins Jones™ Pop Up Restaurant, LLC will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of.
Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and retraining of our workforce is at the top burner. We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Renting of facility and remodeling the facility to fit into a standard pop up restaurant: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed cooking utensils and kitchen wares, serving wares, furniture, racks, shelves, computers, electronic appliances, office appliances and CCTV: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Compilation of our list of meals and drinks that will be available in our restaurant: Completed
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – suppliers of cooking ingredients, coffees, wines, alcoholic drinks and soft drinks: In Progress