Do you run a coffee shop and you make use of Bunn coffee brewer? If YES, here is a 5-step guide on how to clean a commercial Bunn coffee maker with vinegar. There are so many coffee makers in the United States market to choose from. One of them is the Bunn Coffee maker. This particular Coffee Maker is made by the Bunn-O-Matic Corporation.
According to the company, Bunn Coffee makers brew coffee that is robust in flavour without the common bitterness encountered with some coffee machines. These Coffee makers do this by using a patented system that keeps the temperature at the ideal brewing temperature of 2000 Fahrenheit.
It also has a fast brew cycle which exposes the water to the ground coffee beans for the perfect length of time for a perfect coffee flavour. The Bunn Coffee maker also creates the perfect amount of turbulence via its spray head to suspend the ground coffee and extract the entire flavour uniformly for the perfect cup of coffee.
However, steady cleanup of the Bunn coffee maker will ensure that you always brew good and standard coffee, and your coffee machine will also stay durable. To clean a Bunn coffee maker thoroughly, you need to wash the container and machine before and after use, dust the thermal carafe, and clean the machine well every 90 days.
Table of Content
Difference Between Cleaning and Descaling your Coffee Maker
First, it is important you understand the difference between cleaning and descaling your coffee maker if you want to make and serve tasty and delicious coffee. Cleaning your Bunn coffee maker involves extracting piled up coffee oil that has accumulated over time in your coffee maker. Note that with time, the residue coffee will make the newly brewed coffee to lose its taste.
If your Bunn coffee maker is not cleaned well, the remnants can lead to choking and blockages that can make the coffee maker useless. Descaling your Bunn coffee maker gets rid of the mineral build-up that accumulates on the heating part of all coffee makers. This build-up alters the water in your machine from getting to the desired level.
When water is not enough, it is challenging to remove the full flavour from the coffee beans/grinds and which will make the coffee lose its taste.
It is highly advisable to wash your commercial Bunn coffee maker after every close of work. All the extractive parts of the coffee maker need to be washed after every job to forestall piling up of germs.
Although you can wash your Bunn coffee maker by simply using soap concentration and water, however it is essential to wash the machine in a dishwasher. The brew funnel and decanter must be cleaned thoroughly every day after use. Note that this process might take up to a minimum of three hours and sometimes a whole day.
6 Supplies You Need to Wash a Commercial Bunn Coffee Maker with Vinegar
Deep-washing your commercial Bunn coffee machine on occasion is a crucial part of keeping it running smoothly. By using a functional coffee pot descaler like white vinegar once a month, you do not only prevent clogs caused by build-up and mineral deposits, but you also ensure that the coffee stays hot and tastes great. To clean the Bunn coffee maker thoroughly, you will need the following supplies:
According to experts, vinegar is a wonderful cleansing supply used to clean a commercial Bunn coffee maker because it enters into all corners and removes accumulated stains, germs, and minerals that have piled up into the machine over time.
Note that to effectively clean your Bunn coffee maker, you must apply dishwater detergent and some warm water to soak it. You can then make use of a dish brush to clear the sides, top, and bottom to dry it.
3. Dish soap or a mild liquid
During the cleaning process, which will be well outlined below, you will have to rinse with dish soap or mild liquid, and then clean the coffee machine with mild clothing. After you are through with the outside, you will also have to take off the lid of the water tank and allow fresh breeze to blow it.
4. Soft cloth
Remember that a soft cloth is always used to clear and dust the Bunn coffee machine while washing it.
5. Spray head cleaning tool
This is used to make water or other liquids enter all the parts of the Bunn coffee machine. It is very necessary since the human hands can’t get to the corners of the machine. It helps remove all the coffee stains in the machine and make the whole washing process easy.
6. Distilled water (descaling)
Just like it was stated above, descaling is another cleansing procedure which is ideal for cleansing the Bunn coffee machine. You can do this by using white purified vinegar to run the coffee maker. Fill the water section with small vinegar and brew the same way you make coffee. It will remove every coffee particles hiding in the machine.
The Cleaning Process of the Bunn Coffee Maker Using Vinegar
The cleaning process of the Bunn coffee maker is dynamic, and people tend to do what works for them. However, the process detailed below is the way almost everyone cleans the machine. But you have to first start by assembling all your tools and making them readily available. It is also advisable to sanitizer the area you need to wash the Bunn coffee maker with a pure cloth and anti-bacterial to make it germ-free. After that, follow the steps outline below:
- Pour one quart of white vinegar into a measuring jug. Then, assemble the coffee machine as normal. Just twist and lock your coffee jug into place and then place the empty carafe onto the base plate. Open the lid and pour the vinegar into the reservoir. Then close the lid and turn on the machine. To get the perfect result, use at least a 20% white vinegar concentrate or stronger.
- At this point, sit back and let the vinegar do its work. White vinegar is always preferable in this process because it penetrates the hot water tank, effectively eroding any mineral deposits that have built up inside the machine. Note that the cleaning process should take around two hours.
- After two hours, unplug the brewer and remove the brew funnel. Reach underneath the top of the machine and twist the spray head off in a clockwise direction.
- At this point, pour a full carafe of distilled water into the top of the machine and close the lid. This water will start to flush the vinegar out from within the hot water tank. However, always ensure to put the carafe on the base plate to catch the water/vinegar solution, otherwise you will be getting everywhere wet! Do this at least ten times until the vinegar smell subsides.
- Then remove the brew funnel and reinstall the spray head by twisting it into place in a counter clockwise direction. After you must have done this, replace the brew funnel and plug the machine back in so that the water in the hot water tank can heat back up. Add some distilled water to the machine and put your carafe back on the warmer plate.
To effectively clean your commercial Bunn coffee maker, you have to remove the grinder from the socket. Note that soaking the grinder in water damages the mill, and water damage nullifies warranty, so never put the grinder in the dishwater no matter what. Always clean surface areas with soft, moist, or mild cloth.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does Vinegar Clean Coffee Maker?
Yes, vinegar cleans the coffee maker.
How Do You Clean A Bunn Vpr Series Coffee Maker?
- Turn off the machine.
- Clean the exterior.
- Clean brew funnel.
- Clean spray-head
3. Is Clr Better Than Vinegar?
Yes! CLR does a better job. Vinegar is a mild acid, and that is what will dissolve minerals. CLR is stronger and more effective.
4. Does Bunn Make A Programmable Coffee Maker?
Yes! Digital controls automatically turn on the warmer plate during brewing and off after 2 hours.
5. What Is The Correct Ratio Of Water To Coffee?
One to two tablespoons of ground coffee for every six ounces of water. This can be adjusted to suit individual taste preferences.
6. Why Does Your Bunn Coffee Maker Drip Slowly?
The major reason why your coffee maker drips so slow is that it needs to be cleaned. Water from your tap can build up calcium and mineral deposits in your coffee maker and make it brew slowly.
7. How Do You Clean A Bunn Commercial Coffee Maker?
Make a small amount of vinegar and pour it into the brewer’s reservoir through the lid; the lid should remain closed after pouring one-quarter cup of vinegar in. You will throw the water in the carafe away due to the vinegar. If you are doing this for a long period, allow your vinegar to sit for about two hours so it can dissolve your minerals.
8. How Do You Clean A Bunn Coffee Maker With White Vinegar?
- Remove the spray head. Wash and remove any lime deposits or film
- Wipe away any deposits inside the spray-head tube
- Then reattach the spray-head
9. How Do You Clean A Bunn Coffee Maker With Clr?
For automatic drip coffee machines get 12 to 30 cup capacity, mix one-part CLR to eight parts water. Then pour the clear liquid over the entire pot of solution after completely discharging it from the maker once all product has run off the maker.
10. How Do You Clean Your Coffee Maker Without Vinegar?
Mix two cups of water with one cup of hydrogen peroxide. Run the concoction through your coffee maker’s normal brewing cycle. After this cycle has brewed, flush the equipment by brewing freshwater through one cycle or two.
11. Can You Use Rice Vinegar To Clean Coffee Maker?
Yes, you can. The cleaning performance of rice vinegar is similar to that of white vinegar. Vinegar, rice vinegar, cider vinegar, or white wine vinegar can be used in place of regular cleaning products.
12. How Do You Make Coffee In A Bunn Vpr Series?
- Put a Bunn coffee filter in the brew funnel
- Place the desired amount of coffee into the filter and level out the grounds for a more even brew
- Slide the brew funnel into the filter guide
- Open the lid
- Fill the carafe with 4 to 10 cups of water
- Turn on the power
13. What Are Some Tips For Cleaning A Bunn Coffee Maker?
- Make a solution of one part vinegar to two parts distilled water. Vinegar is acidic and can easily break down calcium deposits
- Then pour the descaling solution into your coffee maker and initiate a brewing cycle
- Perform at least three to five rinses by running a brewing cycle with only water
14. How Do You Deep Clean A Coffee Maker?
The following steps are how to deeply clean a coffee maker;
- Fill the coffee maker with vinegar and water.
- Brew and let soak.
- Finish the cycle and flush with water
15. How Often Do You Clean A Bunn Coffee Maker?
It is recommended to be cleaning your Bunn coffee maker once a week at least. The more often you clean your machine, the better, but one to two cleanings per week strikes a good balance between cleanliness and effort.
16. What Is The Best Coffee Maker For Coffee Snobs?
- Best Automatic Pour-Over Coffee Maker– Breville Precision Brewer Glass Coffee Maker
- Best Espresso Machine– Breville Barista Express
- Best Pour-OverCoffee Brewer– Chemex
- Best French Press– Bodum Chambord French Press Coffee Maker
17. How Do You Drain A Bunn Commercial Coffee Maker?
- Unplug the Bunn coffee maker
- Remove brewing filter and spray head
- Insert Bunn deliming tool
- Remove mineral scale
- Rinse your machine
- Clean spray head
- Return spray head
18. How Do You Adjust The Water Level On A Bunn Coffee Maker?
Gently press the start or brew button once or twice for each two seconds less the machine should release water. Press and hold the button until three clicks are heard, then release. This will decrease the amount of water released. This will change the amount only for this brewing.
19. Can You Use Clr In A Bunn Coffee Maker?
Yes! You can use CLR ‘Calcium’, Lime, and Rust Remover in coffee makers that do not allow for permanent water storage. Note! For Gevalia, Keurig, and Cuisinart coffee makers, CR Ltd’s Calcium, Lime, and Rust Remover is not recommended. CLR (Calcium), Lime, and Rust Remover should not be used on espresso machines.
20. Can You Use Vinegar To Clean Your Braun Coffee Maker?
Absolutely yes! you can mix a solution of white vinegar and water in about equal parts. Fill your water reservoir with this mixture, then run a full cycle. Leave the mixture to cool for an hour, then dump it out.
21. Does Bunn Make The Best Coffee Machine On The Market?
Absolutely yes! Bunn is one of the best brands of coffee makers on the market, and it has been in existence for a while.
22. Can You Run Bleach Water Through Your Coffee Maker?
You can use it though, but cleaning a coffee maker using bleach isn’t recommended.
23. How Often Should You Clean Your Coffee Machine?
Normally, you should clean your coffee maker after every use, removing the grounds and cleaning the brew basket, lid and carafe. The deeper cleaning of descaling to remove mineral deposits should be done at least every three months.
24. What Is The Best Bunn Coffee Maker To Buy?
- BUNN VP17-1SS Pour-over Coffee Maker
- BUNN Speed Brew 10 Cup BX Home Coffee Machine
- BUNN CSB3T Speed Platinum Thermal Coffee Machine
- BUNN GRB Velocity Brew 10 Cup Home Coffee Machine
- BUNN BT Velocity Brew 10-Cup Thermal Carafe Home Coffee Machine, Black
25. What Can You Use Besides Vinegar To Clean A Coffee Maker?
Rather than vinegar, alternatively, you can try lemon juice or baking soda. Both have similar cleaning qualities to vinegar without the pungent smell and taste.
26. How Long Does It Take For Water To Warm Up In A Bunn?
It usually takes about 20-30 minutes to get the first tank of water warm or hot. From that time on, the Bunn keeps 10 cups of water hot at all times in the insulated storage tank.
27. Can You Use Baking Soda To Clean Your Coffee Maker?
Of course yes! Baking soda is a natural alternative and effective way to clean a coffee maker. One of the best reasons to use baking soda is that it’s a good way to eliminate odors.
28. How Much Vinegar Do You Use To Clean A Coffee Maker?
You will need about 4 cups of undiluted vinegar to clean a coffee maker.
29. How Often Should You Replace Coffee Maker?
The average lifespan of a good coffee maker is about 5 years. If you take good care of the machine by cleaning and descaling regularly, the machine can last up to 10 years.
30. What’s Lurking In Your Coffee Maker And Toaster Oven?
Small kitchen appliances like a coffee maker, blender, or toaster can harbor bacteria which can possibly cause illness.
31. How Much Coffee Do You Put In A 12 Cup Coffee Maker?
To fill a standard 12-cup coffeemaker, you will need 12-24 tablespoons (or between 3/4 and 1 1/2 cups) of ground coffee. This will yield 12 6-ounce servings, or about 6 standard 12-ounce mugs of coffee. For a smaller pot, simply scale the ratio down.
32. How Do You Keep A Bunn Coffee Maker From Overflowing From The Top?
- Make sure that the power to the brewer is on
- Then locate the start button
- Press the start button once for every 2 seconds you want to be taken off the time the water will pour
- Once you are done choosing the amount of time you want to take off, press and hold the (start) button down until you hear three clicks
- Then let a pot fill up so you can check the level. I’d suggest doing this without using the coffee so you don’t waste coffee during this trial-and-error process
33. Should I Leave My Bunn Coffee Maker On All The Time?
You must leave it plugged in at all times.
34. Do Bunn Coffee Makers Need Special Filters?
The Bunn Coffee and tea filters are specially designed to work with Bunn brewers. The selection of coffee filters is an important step in brewing perfect coffee.
35. How Do You Troubleshoot A Bunn Coffee Maker?
- Check the water lines.
- Check incoming water temperature and pressure
- Check the inlet solenoids
- Clean and de-lime the machine
36. How Much Coffee Do You Put In A 10 Cup Bunn?
A 10-cup coffee maker will require an annual grind of 12 tablespoons coffee, medium grind, and cold water of 50 ounces each.
35. What Are The Disadvantages Of A Coffee Maker?
Here are the disadvantages of a coffee maker;
- It is expensive
- It is bigger
- It has a limited option
- It has a taste variation
- Maintenance issues
38. How Many Tablespoons Of Coffee Do You Use For 12 Cups Of Coffee?
To fill a standard 12-cup coffeemaker, you will need 12-24 tablespoons (or between 3/4 and 1 1/2 cups) of ground coffee. This will yield 12 6-ounce servings, or about 6 standard 12-ounce mugs of coffee.
39. Do Bunn Coffee Makers Have A Lifetime Warranty?
No! Each Bunn coffee maker will have a limited warranty, and it is usually 1 year at least.
40. How Long Should A Bunn Coffee Maker Last?
A Bunn coffee maker typically lasts between 5 and 10 years on average. It could last up to 10 years if you keep the machine regularly cleaned.
41. How Many Times Should I Run Vinegar Through Your Coffee Maker?
It’s best to just run some vinegar through a brew cycle once every month, to keep your machine hygienic and your coffee tasting great as well.
42. How Many Scoops Of Coffee Do You Need For 6 Cups?
For making 6 cups, about 10 tablespoons are recommended or 60 grams of coffee.
43. Are Bunn Coffee Makers A Fire Hazard?
The answer is yes! Coffeemaker’s plastic pour-in bowl and lid can melt or ignite due to an electrical failure, posing burn and fire hazards to consumers.
44. Do Any Bunn Coffee Makers Have Auto Shut Off?
Yes! All Bunn coffeemakers have an automatic shutoff.
45. How Many Scoops Of Coffee Do You Need For 8 Cups?
You would need about 4 scoops for 8 cups of coffee.
46. Do Bunn Coffee Makers Use A Lot Of Electricity?
Yes! Bunn coffee makers consume a lot of electricity. It uses a little over one kilowatt of electricity per day, adding less than $5 to home electric bills each month, according to Bunn users who measured their coffee machine’s energy consumption using a Kill-A-Watt to cut down on energy costs related to your Bunn coffee maker.
47. What Happens If You Don’t Descale Your Coffee Machine?
If you don’t descale your machine or leave it without cleaning, the residue will have a few undesirable effects on your coffee. Your coffee will begin to taste bitter. Thus, your coffee and coffee machine will produce an acrid smell. Coffee residue can cause clogging and blockages that can render a machine unusable.
48. Can A Dirty Coffee Maker Give You Diarrhea?
Most likely. While most people won’t be at that extreme point, your gastrointestinal issues might be the result of your coffee maker being contaminated.