Skip to Content

10 Best Grants to Start a Christmas Tree Farm

The term “tree farm” was first heard from lumber giant Weyerhaeuser within the 20th century. Since then, the term has been used to describe a specific area of land that is properly managed to guarantee continuous commercial production.

Within this particular definition, you will find that farm simply implies harvest and continuous production refers to sustainability. Same as with any business endeavor, a Christmas tree farm necessitates a good amount of capital to start off perfectly.

Nevertheless, keep in mind that there are available grants that can help you start this business as well as set you on the path to success. To make it easy for you, below are available grants to consider when looking to start a Christmas tree farm within the United States.

Available Grants to Start a Christmas Tree Farm

  1. Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP)

EQIP makes available financial assistance that works to aid agricultural producers in utilizing conservation practices on their farms. Have it in mind that you can leverage this program to invest in practices that bolster the quality of your Christmas trees while safeguarding the environment.


To qualify for EQIP funding, you will need to be the owner or operator of a qualifying land engaged in agricultural, forestry, or livestock production. Qualifying land includes cropland, rangeland, pasture, nonindustrial private forest land, and other farm or ranch lands.

How to Apply

To apply, you will have to visit your local NRCS conservationist to indicate interest in the program.

  1. Tree assistance program

The Farm Service Agency Tree Assistance Program has been providing financial aid to orchards and nursery tree growers to “replant or rehabilitate trees, bushes, and vines destroyed by natural disasters.” Trees that are considered under this scheme include ornamental, fruit, nut, and Christmas trees managed for commercial sale. Note that trees used for pulp or timber do not qualify for assistance.


Orchardists and nursery tree growers are expected to meet certain criteria to be eligible for this grant. The requirements include;

  • Experienced an eligible tree, bush, or vine loss
  • Was the legit owner of the qualifying trees, bushes, and vines at the period the natural disaster happened.
  • Replace those trees, bushes, and vines within 12 months from the date the TAP application is approved.
How to Apply

The easiest way to apply is by visiting the local USDA/FSA to find a local office. It is recommended you reach out to the local office first to make sure you are updated on the right documents to bring to the office.

  1. USDA Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program

The USDA Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program is another option to consider especially since they provide funds to establishments that cater to the education, training, and technical assistance new farmers need to start and sustain their farms.

When looking to start a new Christmas tree farm, there is so much you can learn from these resources to ensure you attain success.


To be eligible, you will have to be a collaborative state, tribal, local, or regionally-based network or partnership of eligible public and/or private entities.

The collaborations will have to be one of the following entities: State Cooperative Extension Services; Federal, State, municipal, or tribal agencies; community-based organizations (CBOs); nongovernmental organizations (NGOs); junior and four-year colleges or universities or foundations managed by a college or university; and private for-profit organizations.

How to Apply

You will have to register with to ensure you can apply when the grant becomes available. To guarantee you stay current on all NIFA’s BFRDP funding opportunities, register for alerts. These email alerts will let you know when BFRDP Requests for Applications (RFAs) are released.

  1. Rural Energy for America Program (REAP)

REAP still continues to provide financial assistance to agricultural businesses for renewable energy systems as well as energy efficiency improvements. Keep in mind that you can leverage this grant to invest in eco-friendly technologies for your Christmas tree farm.


Any business that’s small and rural, as well as farms of any size.

How to Apply

You will need to visit the grant website to complete a REAP application package. To do this you will have to answer a few basic questions and upload some files through the site’s simple drag-and-drop portal. All these can be achieved within 10-20 minutes.

  1. USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant (SCBG)

The USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant program is also another available grant that provides funds to bolster the competitiveness of specialty crops, such as Christmas trees. This grant can help fund your plans to boost product quality, expand markets, or even carry out extensive research on pests and diseases.


Note that only state departments of agriculture are considered eligible to apply for funding to AMS. Keep in mind that individuals or other non-federal entities looking to apply will have to submit to the right state department of agriculture.

How to Apply

To understand the right way to apply for SCBGP funding in your state, reach out to your SCBGP state department of agriculture.

  1. Conservation Reserve Program (CRP)

The essence of this program is to provide funding to farmers who develop long-term, resource-conserving plant species on their land. It is also possible to leverage this program in one way or the other to fund the establishment of Christmas tree plots on your farm.


To qualify to enroll in CRP, the farmer is expected to have owned or operated the land for at least 12 months prior to the first year of the contract period.

How to Apply

Farmers will have to apply either via the continuous sign-up at any time, or during a general sign-up. However, to ensure you have the right details regarding funding opportunities, including any CREP projects in your state, reach out to your local FSA office.

  1. Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) Program

SARE makes available grants for research, education, and outreach efforts to ensure that farmers can implement sustainable practices. Keep in mind that you can utilize this grant to fund research and education initiatives that will boost the sustainability of your Christmas tree farm.

  • Farmers and ranchers
  • Researchers
  • Extension agents and other educators
  • Graduate students
How to Apply

Grants are administered by SARE’s four regional offices. Visit the appropriate region to learn which grant type is right for you and to access application instructions.

  1. Forest land enhancement program

The essence of this U.S. Forest Service-managed Forest Land Enhancement Program is “to provide technical assistance to non-industrial private forest owners to encourage and enable active long-term forest management.” New Farmers will benefit from the stewardship plans for sustainable agro-forestry applications that boost the productivity of forest resources.


To be considered for this assistance, landowners will need to possess an approved land-management plan.

How to Apply
  • Meet the requirements
  • Complete and submit the FEP Forest Management Plan Funding application form.
  • Complete and submit the Land Owner Agreement Form
  1. Forest stewardship program

The sole aim of FSP is to make available grants and technical assistance to nonindustrial private forest owners to encourage and enable forest management. The program has worked primarily for the development of “comprehensive, multi-resource management plans that provide landowners with the insight they require to manage their forests for a variety of products and services.”


You will have to be the owner of a nonindustrial private forest land such as rural lands, including wildland, urban interface, with existing tree cover, or ideal for growing trees, that is owned or leased long-term by any private individual, group, association, corporation, or other private legal entity, such as Alaska Native corporations.

How to Apply

You will have to visit the grant web page to find the local office where you can meet the forester who will request that you complete a Forest Stewardship Application and will answer any questions that you may have about the program

Noted above are available grants to consider when looking to start a Christmas tree Farm. Also, search for state and local grants and assistance programs available in your area. You can benefit from the programs because they provide extra support and resources particularly designed to your region’s needs.