Are you about starting a health & medical spa? If YES, here’s a complete sample health & medical Spa business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE.
All over the world, especially in the western world, one could wake up one morning and decide to have a body procedure. This is one of the reasons why the health and spa business have continued thrive. Beauty health practitioners make sure that they give their clients the best of procedures.
A Sample Health and Medical Spa Business Plan Template
1. Industry Overview
The Health and Wellness Spa industry has experienced stable development over the five years to 2016. Industry proceeds have progressively recovered with improving per capita disposable income and consumer confidence. To make profit, spas have stretched their array of service offerings, predominantly their range of anti-aging and medical treatments.
The baby-boomer generation is likely to take advantage of growing anti-aging services over the next five years, making the demographic an exclusively important source of industry growth. Most services at a medical spa are executed by medical professionals such as physician’s assistants, nurses and aestheticians.
Medical spas are supervised by a physician, although the doctor may not always be on site or handle many of the procedures. In the united states of America, there is always the need to work so as take care of the basic needs of life. Some folks get to work round the clock with little or no time left for them to take care of themselves, hence their health may suffer.
Some do not even mind looking the way they are because there isn’t ample time to take a rest. Yet others wouldn’t mind setting aside some little time to pamper themselves at a health and medical spa. This set of people would not mind to visit a spa or have a spa attendant come to their homes to give them a massage.
Over the years we have come to see that the spa business has continued to be on the rise, as the demand for it has continued to increase.
One of the very good things about this trade is the ability to have a spa attendant come for a private service. In the past this used to be a challenge as some assistants were reluctant, but recently things have changed as the spa industry has gone a step further in rendering more services.
Starting a spa just like every other business requires one to be thoroughly calculative. Steps like renting or buying a facility to use, procuring the various equipment needed, finding the right employees, as well as getting the required skills, are just some of the hurdles that must be scaled.
Nonetheless, there are other very technical steps that have to be cancelled out too. It is also very important that in running a spa business successfully, there has to be a flexible payment option for customers to use. It is important to state that these days; spa businesses also provide some other services asides from the typical spa.
They are expanding their services to include anti-aging treatments in order to stimulate growth. Industry employment has grown, keeping pace with overall industry expansion. Some go as far as having a drink and food lounge where customers can unwind whilst they wait, or even after being serviced.
When starting a Spa business, it is necessary to choose a location that is close to a boutique, hair salon or nail salon in order to attract clients that patronize such places.
2. Executive Summary
Miyakay health and Medical Spa world is a new classy neighborhood in Dallas, Texas. It promises an all-round day spa experience. We offer four classy, ultra- chic treatment rooms with premium spa linens and equipment. Our body procedure styles are second to none, as we offer the very best.
Our services include; the traditional Swedish Massage, Hot Stone Massage, Deep Tissue work, Pregnancy, Sports, Reflexology, amongst many others.
We also have very effective facial and body treatments as well as the latest anti-aging products and techniques that can effectively meet the needs of our clients. As a matter of fact, we are conspicuously located near a hair and nail salon, so that we can attract clients who would also be in need of spa services.
Miyakay Health and Medical Spa is a standard Spa lounge in a 4,000 square feet facility. It is therefore no joke to say that we have one of the biggest spas with the latest products and service techniques in Dallas. We have the very best of attendants who have been well trained to make clients’ visit a worthwhile and fun packed one.
We have a posh and classy environment that can attract all and sundry to come have a taste of what it means to run an ultra- chic spa. Furthermore, we have gifts for each customer who comes to patronize us.
Our Spa will open from 8 a.m. and close by 10 p.m. from Mondays to Thursdays, and will run a 24 hour service from Friday to Sunday. We decided to operate in this format because from our market survey and feasibility studies, we realized that customers have the most flexible time schedules during the weekends.
We have well trained employees who have skills on how to give clients the very best. It is no wonder that out mantra at Miyakay is Customers First. The products we use are majorly organic, so customers can be rest assured that there wouldn’t be any reaction whatsoever on their skin.
Our bar attendants and those who man the restaurant arm of our business have the best of drinks and foods that can leave clients satisfied. One of the things that most clients look out for in a spa is the level coziness. We have done adequate research in that area and as such have spent quite a lot in making our Spa really beautiful and conducive.
Our state of the art facility in Dallas, Texas, USA is so attractive that people who need our services cannot but walk in because we use the latest technology in the industry. Our excellent customer service is second to none, as we have exhaustively trained our employees in the business.
Furthermore, Miyakay Health Spa is owned and managed by Miss Hilly Beartop and her family. She is the financier, and she functions as developer and manager of Miyakay Spa.
She has been a business administrator and a sales professional for over 10 years, with a track record that speaks volume. She has worked as a manager in one of the leading Spas in Dallas. After her retirement there, she decided it was time to start her own business.
3. Our Products and Services
At Miyakay Medical and Health Spa, our supreme aim is to give our clients an all-round experience so that they do not have to look elsewhere. This is one of the reasons why we propose to offer a wide range of services that are carried out by licensed medical practitioners, therapists and aestheticians that would keep our clients asking for more.
Our Ultra-chic facility and ambiance promises a lot. Some of the services and amenities that we offer in our spa include;
- Therapeutic Massage Services
- Body Treatments
- Body Procedures
- Anti-aging Treatments
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our Vision is to be the number one Medical and Health Spa Lounge in Dallas, Texas.
- Our mission is to run a money-making business by offering health, therapeutic massage and aesthetic services in a gentle, classy and professional setting.
Our Business Structure
Miyakay Health and Medical Spa is set to become one of the leading Spas in Dallas Texas, and as such, we need to lay down a solid business structure.
This would enable us meet and even surpass our expectations. We do not intended to take our customers for granted, which is why we are set to make excellent customer service our watch word. Web also will lay emphasis on employee training and retraining.
We want to build a devoted workforce that will work together to help the organization achieve its projections, because with the right structure in place, we can build systems and structures that will make the business even run on autopilot. Miyakay Medical Spa will employ skilled people to occupy the following position;
- Manager (Owner)
- Medical Practitioner
- Marketing Officer
- Spa Attendant
- Unisex Salon Manager
- Security Guard
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Managing Director/CEO (Owner)
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Creates, communicates, and implements the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for recruitment
- Responsible for payment of salaries
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
- Ensures that the facility is in tip top shape and conducive enough to welcome customers
- Prepares budget and reports for the organization
- Responsible for Training and Development in the organization
- Handles procurement
- Defines job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carries out staff induction for new team hires
Marketing Officer (2)
- Develops, executes and evaluates new plans for expanding increase sales
- Documents all customer contact and information
- Represents the company in strategic meetings
- Helps increase sales and growth for the company
- Manages the company’s CRM system
- Identifies, prioritizes, and reaches out to new partners and business opportunities et al
- Sees to it that clients are attended to and on time
- Books clients for massage sessions
- Passes information to the aesthetician about clients
- Reaches out to clients when information needs to reach them
- Takes and book clients for massage sessions
- In charge of all the body procedures
- Advises a client on the type of risks and advantages involved in procedures
- Follows up on recovery procedures
- Medically counsels clients at all times
- Carries out all massage styles and formulas on clients
- Makes sure they are satisfied at all times
- Makes sure that all beauty and massage therapies are body friendly
Unisex Salon Manager
- Interacts with customers, take orders for their hairstyles
- Responsible for the day to day welfare of the business
- Responsible for quality control
- Assesses customers’ needs and preferences and make recommendations
- Prepares financial report at the end of every working week
- Handles all financial transaction on behalf of the company
- Interfaces with our bankers
- Responsible for payment of tax, levies and utility bills
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the manager
- Mops the floors
- Wipes down the machines
- Washes off the folding tables
- Cleans the bathroom
- Empties the trash
- Washes the windows
- Cleans the vending machines, change machines and video game screens
- Ensures that the facility is secured at all time
- Controls traffic and organize parking
- Gives security tips to staff members from time to time
- Patrols around the building on a 24 hours basis
- Submits security reports weekly
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the manager
6. SWOT Analysis
Without a shadow of doubt, starting a medical Spa requires loads of cash, and this especially applies to ambitious businesspersons who may not have huge sum of money saved up in a bank.
We know that tons of cash is vital in the setting up of a typical medical Spa business, and this is why we decided to do all that is required to build a profitable business. Part of the needful step required to be taken, is conducting a SWOT Analysis.
We employed the services of Mr. Napatne Buzak, an HR and Business consultant who is renowned for the trade, to help us conduct SWOT analysis for our company and he did a pretty good job for us. Here is a of the result we got from the SWOT analysis that was conducted on behalf of Miyakay Medical Spa.
Miyakay Medical Spa is centrally situated where there are salons and nail studios. We see this as a strength as we will be able to attract clients who might as well need massages and general body pampering.
We believe that locating our business in Texas would eventually work out for good as we look to attract a great deal of people. Yet another strength we have is the fact that we have equipment that are second to none and these equipment will help us give our clients the best of services.
The weakness of Miyakay Medical Spa is the fact that it is a new business which is owned by an individual (a small family), and we may not have the monetary ability to sustain the kind of publicity that can give us leverage.
We are centrally positioned in one of the busiest areas of Dallas, Texas; and we are open to all the available opportunities that the city has to offer. Our business concept has us positioned in such a way that we will attract all and sundry.
One of the major threats that confront businesses all over the world is economic downturn; when the economy is bad, it affects consumer spending which in turn impacts businesses negatively. Another threat that may likely affect us is the competition which is found in the spa industry in general.
Every day, more and more people delve into the industry, and we are aware that only the dogged ones survive, this is why we are trying hard to position ourself in a way that makes everyone want to check us out.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
The ability of medical spa business owners to carry on seeking out ways to serve their clients in the most suitable ways is one of the keys to enticing loads of clients. One of the ways that this is done is by adding other matching services to their business offerings.
It is also as a result of this that we at Miyakay medical Spa have some additional services like a beauty salon; where clients, or even their family or friends can hang out and wait for them whilst they get their body procedures done. Also there is a health shop that allows even those who do not want a spa service to shop for products.
We have invested quite a lot in making our medical Spa facility a haven to behold. We have also keyed into the trend and we have succeeded in making the interior and exterior a classy one with competent medical attendants.
8. Our Target Market
Before arriving at the place that would be suitable for our state of the art Spa, we undertook a feasibility studies and market survey and we were able to recognize those who will profit significantly from our service offerings.
As a result, we found out that Dallas, Texas would be our best bet, as we are sure to attract upwardly mobile people, working class folks, as well as non- working class people. Hence, these are the category of people that we intend marketing our Spa business to;
- Busy Corporate Executives
- House Wives
- Business Owners
Our competitive advantage
From our feasibility studies and market survey, we observed that the competition in the industry is though because there are quite a number of people who run spas where we are located. It is for this reason that we have added some more services like a drink bar, restaurant and Karaoke lounge, because we know that only very few spa businesses can measure up to what we offer.
Yet another competitive advantage we have over others is that we have a standard Spa facility that offers additional complementary services that will definitely help us attract and retain customers.
We are hopeful that we have a state of the art Spa facility with the best massage techniques ever. We also have an advantage because of the type of products we offer our clients, because they have no side effects at all. We know how harmful some chemicals can be, that is why we have keyed into using organic products.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
10. Sales Forecast
Our sales prediction is founded on the data gathered during our feasibility studies and also some of the assumptions readily available on the field with reference to similar businesses in Dallas, Texas. We know that we are well situated and we will definitely attract clients that will not only patronize our spa, but clients that will patronize our bar and restaurant.
This means that we will generate additional income from these sources. Below is the sales projection for our business, it is based on the locality of our Spa and the type of services and products that we will be offering;
- First Year: $80,000
- Second Year-: $120,000
- Third Year-: $180,000
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any Spa offering same additional services like us within 4.5 miles radius from our facility.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
The marketing policies that we will adopt will be such that can guarantee us great turnover. We will be on our toes all the time to make sure that we shape a loyal customer base. These customers are such that will always patronize our services as well help us use word of mouth to get their friends and acquaintances to patronize us.
We want to drive sales through using really effective organic products and providing excellent services so that we can surpass the expectations of the clients we are able to attract overtime. We shall also keep our clients glued to us by the constant training we will give our employees so that they would always be abreast of changes in the industry.
Our unique selling proposition is that we have various complementary services such as a drink bar, Karaoke lounge, restaurant, as well as the massage techniques we have to offer. We make bold to say that there aren’t too many people who are into Spa business the way want to run ours.
In view of that, we are going to adopt the following strategies to ensure that we do not only attract customers but ensure that they become loyal to our brand.
- Open Miyakay spa with a loud party. We shall also offer free trial for all our visitors for the first three days of launching the business.
- Advertise our medical Spa business on national dailies, local TV stations and local radio stations.
- Endorse Miyakay online via our official website and all available social media platforms.
- Improving the performance of our brands.
- Hire the services of experts to make our brands the first choice in Dallas Texas.
- Delivering consistent customer experience to all our guests; making our first impression count positively.
- Make use of attractive hand bills to create awareness and also to give direction to our state of the art facility.
- Adopt direct mailing coupon marketing approach.
- Position our signage/flexi banners at strategic places.
- Create a loyalty plan that will enable us reward our regular customers.
- Engage in roadshows within our neighborhood to create awareness for our services.
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
We are conscious of the power of publicity for new businesses like ours which is why we created a budget that will help us access various publicity and advertising platforms that will enable us reach out to our potential market. At Miyakay, will ensure that we leverage on all conventional and non – conventional publicity and advertising techniques to promote our business. Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Miyakay;
- Encourage our loyal customers to help us use Word of Mouth mode of advertisement (referrals)
- Advertise our medical and health business in relevant magazines- beauty and non-beauty magazines, local newspaper, local TV and radio stations
- Promote our health Spa business online via our official website
- List our medical Spa business on local directories (yellow pages)
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, twitter, et al to promote our brand
- Install our billboards in strategic locations
- Use direct coupon mailing approach
- Engage in roadshows from time to time
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas all around Dallas, Texas
12. Our Pricing Strategy
At Miyakay, our pricing system is going to be based on what is available in the industry, we don’t intend to charge more (except for premium and customized services) and we don’t intend to charge less than our competitors are offering in the city we are located.
Be that as it may, the management of Miyakay Spa has put plans in place to offer discount services once in a while and also to reward our loyal customers especially when they refer clients to us. The prices of our products (Organic skin care products, amongst others) will be same as what is obtainable in any part of the United States of America.
- Payment Options
We have put in place different payment options; particularly for our complimentary service offerings. In other words, our payment policy is going to be all inclusive because we are quite aware that different people prefer different payment options as it suits them. Here are the payment options that will be available in every of our spa;
- Payment by cash/coins
- Payment via Point of Sale (POS) Machine
- Payment via online bank transfer (online payment portal)
- Payment via Mobile money
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will help us achieve our payment plans without any difficulty.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
These are the key areas where we will spend our startup capital;
- The Total Fee for Registering the Business in Dallas, Texas $750
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses (Health department license and business license) and permits (Fire department permit, Air and water pollution control permit, and Sign permit et al) – $4,500
- Marketing promotion expenses (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of $3,580
- Cost for hiring Consultant – $2,000
- Insurance (general liability, theft, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $30,800
- Cost of accounting software, CRM software and Payroll Software – $3,000
- Cost for leasing facility for the Spa – $70,000
- Cost for facility remodeling – $50,000
- Other start-up expenses including stationery – $1000
- Phone and Utilities (gas, sewer, water and electric) deposits – $3,500
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $40,000
- The cost for Start-up inventory – $15,000
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al) – $30,000
- The cost of Launching a Website – $600
- The cost for our grand opening party – $5,500
- Miscellaneous supplies $10,000
We would need an estimate of $1 million to successfully launch our Spa business in Dallas, Texas. Please note that the startup cost is higher than the average startup cost for a Spa business simply because we intend adding other services.
Generating Funding/Startup Capital for Miyakay Health and Medical Spa World
Miyake spa is a family business and it will be financed by the owner who is also a doctor. These are the areas where we intend sourcing for fund for Miyakay health and medical Spa World;
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings and sale of stocks
- Generate part of the startup capital from family members and friends (soft loans)
- Generate a larger chunk of the startup capital from the bank
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Miyakay health and medical Spa World is set to become the number one Spa business in the whole of Dallas, Texas. It is for this reason that we have taken our time to craft out a business plan that will help us set up and grow the business. Part of the plans we have to sustain our business is that we will have efficient machines and equipment.
We will also continue to deliver quality services and think of how to do things faster and cheaper. We are not going to relent in providing a conducive environment for our workers and also give the required training that will help them deliver excellent services at all times.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business licenses and permits (Health department license and business license, Fire department permit, Air and water pollution control permit, and Sign permit et al): Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Acquiring facility and remodeling the facility: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Marketing/Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of Massaging machines: In Progress
- Purchase of furniture and gadgets (Printer, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al): In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: Completed
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and in the neighborhood: In Progress
- Health, Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party/launching party planning: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors who would supply all our needs in the medical and health spa industry: In Progress