Are you about starting an Italian ice cream company? If YES, here is a complete sample Italian ice cream business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE. If you intend starting an Italian ice cream related business, you are expected to launch the business in a location with the right climatic condition – a place where there is some measure of fair weather in terms of heat and all that.
If you make the mistake of launching an ice cream business in a city known to snow all through the calendar year, you are likely not going to make headway with such business. If you can successfully launch an Italian ice business in the right location and if your shop is located in an area with good human and vehicular traffic, and you have different flavors of Italian ice and other ice dessert, you may not have to struggle to get people to visit your shop and make purchase.
A Sample Italian Ice Cream Business Plan Template
Table of Content
- 2. Executive Summary
- 5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 6. SWOT Analysis
- 7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- 13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
1. Industry Overview
Players Ice Cream and Gelato Store Franchises mainly serve ice cream or gelato. It is important to state that corporate-owned establishments and frozen yogurt stores are not part of this industry. The Ice Cream and Gelato Store Franchises industry of which Italian ice belongs to has come a long way and it is still evolving with a good number of Italian ice desert makers bringing in creativity in terms of flavors, packaging and mode of selling.
If you are a close observer of happenings in the Ice Cream and Gelato Store Franchises industry, you will agree that the industry has gained ground in the united states in recent years. Loads of factors are responsible for influencing demand for ice cream and gelato, especially the increasing health consciousness of consumers, higher input costs and the emergence of frozen yogurt.
The revenue growth for the industry will be more subdued going forward, as competition from healthier, frozen yogurt substitutes intensifies. Consumers are increasingly moving away from ice cream and gelato stores, as the level of health consciousness in the United States rises. Nevertheless, ice cream and gelato’s popularity during warm summer months is expected to cushion the industry from any serious declines in demand.
A recent report published by IBIS World shows that the Ice Cream and Gelato Store Franchises industry has been on the rise during the five years to 2016, albeit with limited growth. The report pointed out that several factors have been influencing demand for ice cream and gelato, especially the increasing health consciousness of consumers and the emergence of frozen yogurt.
This is because health-conscious consumers are less likely to purchase ice cream and gelato. Furthermore, frozen yogurt has gained popularity as a substitute to ice cream and this increased competition has negatively impacted industry revenue during the five-year period. However, growth in disposable income and declines in the price of milk (and therefore ice cream) have led to increases in industry revenue.
2. Executive Summary
Dorothy’s Italian Ice is a registered and standard Italian Ice cream and gelato production company that will be based in Beale Street, Memphis – Tennessee, USA and will cover a wide range of clients both domestic and corporate clients.
We are in the Ice Cream and Gelato Store Franchises industry to retail variety of Italian ice deserts such as ice cream and gelato served for consumption on premises, ice cream and gelato served at table by server, self-service beverages, ice cream and gelato served through drive-through, ice cream and gelato for consumption off premises, and beverages served for consumption off premises et al to a wide range of customers along the locations where we intend positioning our Italian ice mobile truck and permanent shop.
We have put plans in place to also sell our franchise and offer consultancy services in line with our area of business. We are in the Ice Cream and Gelato Store Franchises industry to positively compete with other leading and brands in the industry and our corporate business goal is to be among the top 5 brand in the Italian ice production line of business in the United States of America.
As a company, we are willing to go the extra mile to invest in some of the finest professionals we can find and also, we have set plans in place to acquire the best of equipment when it comes to setting up a standard Italian ice and gelato production business.
Dorothy’s Italian Ice, is set to redefine how Italian ice and gelato store franchise business should be run, not just in Memphis – Tennessee, but also throughout the United States of America and Canada.
Which is why we have put plans in place for continuous training and re – training of all our staff members at regular interval and also liaising with stake holders in the industry to contribute our quota in the way Italian ice and gelato making equipment should be designed and fabricated to meet the ever-changing demand of the industry.
Our strongest selling point at Dorothy’s Italian Ice is the unique taste of the different flavors of Italian ice and gelato dessert that we will produce and sell. There is hardly any customer that will taste any of our products who would not want to come back and make more purchase – we take great delight in welcoming repeated customers over and over again.
Dorothy’s Italian Ice will at all-times demonstrate her commitment to sustainability, both individually and as a firm, by actively participating in our communities and integrating sustainable business practices wherever possible. We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our customers’ needs precisely and completely whenever they patronize our products.
We will cultivate a working environment that provides a human, sustainable approach to earning a living, and living in our world, for our partners, employees and for our customers.
3. Our Products and Services
At Dorothy’s Italian Ice, we deal in all forms and flavors of Italian ice and gelato deserts, we are an establishment that primarily prepare, serve / sell Italian ice and gelato dessert via our customized mobile truck and in our permanent location.
Our intention of starting Dorothy’s Italian Ice, is to make profits from the Ice Cream and Gelato Store Franchises industry and we will do all that is permitted by the law of the United States to achieve our aim and ambition. Here are some of our products and services;
- Ice cream and gelato served for consumption on premises
- Ice cream and gelato served at table by server
- Self-service beverages
- Ice cream and gelato served through drive-through
- Ice cream and gelato for consumption off premises
- Beverages served for consumption off premises
- Training, consultancy and advisory services
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Over vision is to be amongst the top 5leading Italian ice and gelato production companies in the United States of America before our 10th anniversary.
- Our mission is to build a world – class Italian ice and gelato production business that will meet the needs of all our customers and potential customers in the regions / cities where we have our permanent shops and where our mobile truck will pass through and to sell franchise all across the United States of America and Canada.
Our Business Structure
As part of our plans to build a standard Shave Ice Production Company in Memphis – Tennessee, we have perfected plans to get it right from the beginning which is why we are going the extra mile to ensure that we have competent and hardworking employees to occupy all the available positions in our company.
With the wide range of our product offerings and the plan to sell franchise, we are only expected to employ more than it is required to run a conventional Italian ice and gelato dessert production business. Definitely, we will have various employees to man the various services offering at Dorothy’s Italian Ice.
In view of that, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Executive Officer
- Plant Manager
- Food Technologist
- Human Resources and Admin Manager
- Sales and Marketing Team
- Accountants / Cashiers
- Truck Drivers
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – CEO (Owner):
- Will Increase management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting and positioning the business for great success.
- Generating, interacting, and applying the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction of the organization.
- Accountable for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Accountable for providing direction for the business
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Assesses the success of the organization
- Accountable for overseeing the smooth running of the Italian ice and gelato dessert production plant
- Part of the team that determines the quantity of Italian ice and gelato desert that are to be produced
- Maps out strategy that will lead to efficiency amongst workers in the plant
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of plant workers
- Guarantees that the steady flow of both raw materials to the plant and easy flow of finished products through wholesale distributors to the market
- Guarantees operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
Human Resources and Admin Manager
- Answerable to overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- Appraises job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Defining job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Oversee the smooth running of the daily office and field activities.
- Accountable for creating and the production of all the flavors of Italian ice and gelato dessert produced by the company
- Ensures that the organization follows due process as it applies to the nature of business we are into
- Serve as the quality control cum assurance officer of the organization
Sales and Marketing Team
- Retails Italian ice and gelato dessert to our customers when they make demands
- Manage external research and coordinate all the internal sources of information to retain the organizations’ best customers (retailers) and attract new ones
- Model demographic information and analyze the volumes of transactional data generated by customer purchases
- Develop, execute and evaluate new plans for expanding increase sales
- Files all customer contact and information
- Represent the company in strategic meetings
- Helps to increase sales and growth for the company
Accountant / Cashier
- Answerable to preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Offers managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports; analyzes financial feasibility for the most complex proposed projects; conducts market research to forecast trends and business conditions.
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- In charge of driving the Italian ice and gelato dessert mobile truck to various sales locations and back to base
- Assists in loading and offloading the equipment and supply
- Runs errand for the organization
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the sales and marketing executive or human resources and admin manager
- Responsible for cleaning the truck and shop facility at all times
- Ensure that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Cleans both the interior and exterior of the truck and shop facility
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the human resources and admin manager.
6. SWOT Analysis
Because of our drive for excellence when it comes to running a standard Italian ice and gelato dessert production company, we were able to engage some of the finest business consultants in Memphis – Tennessee to look through our business concept and together we were able to critically examine the prospect of the business and to access ourselves to be sure we have what it takes to run a standard Italian ice and gelato dessert production company that can compete favorably in the Ice Cream and Gelato Store Franchises industry.
In view of that, we were able to take stock of our strengths, our weakness, our opportunities and also the threats that we are likely going to be exposed to in Memphis – Tennessee and even in the United States of America as a whole. Here is a of what we got from the critically conducted SWOT Analysis for Dorothy’s Italian Ice;
Our strength lies in the fact that we have various flavors of Italian ice and gelato deserts that can meet the needs of a wide range of customers. We have well – designed and structured mobile ice cream trucks and equipment that has positioned us to meet the demand of products even if the demand tripled over night or if we have a massive order to meet and emergency need.
Another factor that counts to our advantage is the background of our Chief Executive Office; she has a robust experience in the industry and also a pretty good academic qualification to match the experience acquired which has placed her amongst the top-flight professionals in the United States of America.
We are not ignoring the fact that offering consultancy services and running a standard and accredited training center is definitely going to count as a positive for us.
The fact that we are setting up an Italian ice and gelato dessert production business in a city with other established ice cream plants might likely pose a challenge for us in breaking into the already saturated market in Memphis – Tennessee.
In essence our chosen location might be our weakness. But never the less, we have plans to launch out with a big bang. We know with that, we will be able to create a positive impression and we have a proper handle when it comes to building on an already gather momentum.
The opportunities available to us are unlimited. Loads of people consume all forms and flavors of Italian ice and gelato deserts on a daily basis and all what we are going to do to push our products to them is already perfected. There are also loads of people who would want to learn how to make Italian ice and gelato dessert and they will readily find our government approved shave ice desert training center highly ideal for them to fulfill that goal.
The threat that is likely going to confront us is the fact that we are competing with already established Italian ice and gelato dessert production, ice cream truck companies, ice cream production companies and frozen yogurt stores in Memphis – Tennessee and also there are other entrepreneurs who are likely going to launch similar business within the location of our business.
Of course, they will compete with us in winning over the available market. Another threat that we are likely going to face- is unfavorable government policies and of course economic downturn. Usually economic downturn affects purchasing / spending powers.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
Generally, when it comes to ice desert such as Italian ice and gelato, shave ice, snow cone, frozen yogurt and ice cream et al, everyone will quite agree that the market trend changes from time to time. Italian ice and gelato dessert production companies are seriously researching and creating flavors and varieties that will keep them afloat in business.
Any Italian ice and gelato dessert production company that wants to remain relevant in the scheme of things in the industry must be willing to explore the ice deserts world; he or she must be able to come up with a product that taste unique from what is available in the market.
Another trend is that some Italian ice and gelato dessert production companies, ice cream production companies and frozen yogurt stores have gone beyond only selling their products in their stores to taking it out to people in parks, sport centers and public places through vans and mobile food trucks.
Some Italian ice and gelato production companies, ice cream production and frozen yogurt stores have even gone ahead to start retailing their products to the public through vending machines; it is one of the strategies that is helping them gain a huge market share.
Lastly, technology is a major tool in marketing mobile food, Italian ice and gelato dessert, snow cone and ice cream truck business. As a matter of fact, there are mobile apps that customers can use to track their favorite Italian ice and gelato dessert mobile food truck.
8. Our Target Market
Just like ice creams, Italian ice and gelato deserts are generally consumed by almost everybody in our planet as such, anyone who chose to establish an Italian ice and gelato dessert shop or Italian ice trucking business in any part of the world especially in tropical regions or countries in the equator is sure going to get good returns on his or her investment as long as they are doing the right thing when it comes to setting up a business and effectively running the business.
There is indeed a wide range of available customers. In essence, our target market can’t be restricted to just a group of people, but all those who love Italian ice and gelato deserts and of course those who would want to try it out. This is the reason is why we have been able to map out strategic locations all around Memphis – Tennessee where we will position our mobile Italian ice and gelato dessert truck per time.
In view of that, we have conducted our market research and we have ideas of what our target market would be expecting from us. We are in business to engage in wholesale distribution and to retail a wide range of Italian ice and gelato deserts flavors to the following groups of people;
- Corporate Executives
- Government Officials
- Business People
- Military Men and Women
- Sports Men and Women
- Everyone who resides in our target locations.
Our competitive advantage
Our aim of starting Dorothy’s Italian Ice is to build a business that can grow within the first 10 years of establishing the business to be listed amongst the top 5 Italian ice and gelato dessert production companies in the United States of America. With that in mind, we have been able to come up with competitive strategies that will help us compete favorably in the industry.
We are going to be one of the very few Italian ice and gelato dessert production companies in Memphis – Tennessee with vending machines in all our mobile trucks and shop locations.
Another competitive advantage that we have is the vast experience of our management team, we have people on board who are highly experienced and understands how to grow business from the scratch to becoming a national phenomenon.
So also, the wide varieties of Italian ice and gelato deserts flavors et al that we produce, our large national distribution network and of course our excellent customer service culture will definitely count as a strong strength for the business.
One thing is certain, we will ensure that our Italian ice and gelato dessert mobile truck is well equipped and meet the required standard at all times.
Lastly, all our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category (startups Italian ice and gelato dessert production businesses in the United States) in the industry. It will enable them to be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our business aims and objectives.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Dorothy’s Italian Ice is established with the aim of maximizing profits in the Ice Cream and Gelato Store Franchises industry in the United States of America and we are going to go all the way to ensure that we do all it takes to sell a wide range of shave ice or ground – up ice deserts flavors to a wide range of customers.
Dorothy’s Italian Ice will generate income by selling the following products;
- Ice cream and gelato served for consumption on premises
- Ice cream and gelato served at table by server
- Self-service beverages
- Ice cream and gelato served through drive-through
- Ice cream and gelato for consumption off premises
- Beverages served for consumption off premises
- Training, consultancy and advisory services
10. Sales Forecast
One thing is certain, there would always be people who would purchase Italian ice and gelato deserts all across the United States of America.
We are well positioned to take on the available market in Memphis – Tennessee and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough income / profits from the first six month of operations and grow our business.
We have been able to critically examine the Ice Cream and Gelato Store Franchises industry- market and we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast. The sales projections are based on information gathered on the field and some assumptions that are peculiar to similar startups in Memphis – Tennessee.
Below are the sales projection for Dorothy’s Italian Ice , it is based on the location of our business and of course the flexibility of our market approach (mobile food truck and permanent location);
- First Fiscal Year-: $150,000
- Second Fiscal Year-: $450,000
- Third Fiscal Year-: $800,000
N.B: This projection is done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and the arrival of a competitor in same location as ours within the period stated above. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Before choosing a location to Dorothy’s Italian Ice and also the kind of Italian ice and gelato dessert flavors to produce, we conducted a thorough market survey and feasibility studies in order for us to be able to be able to penetrate the available market in the cities where we intend positioning our business.
We have detailed information and data that we were able to utilize to structure our business to attract the numbers of customers we want to attract per time and also for our products to favorable compete with other leading Italian ice and gelato dessert brands in Memphis – Tennessee and the whole of the United States of America.
No doubt, technology is a major tool in marketing ice cream and mobile food truck. As a matter of fact, there are mobile apps that customers can use to track their favorite Italian ice cum ice cream truck. Other strategies that we will adopt are to ensure that our Italian ice mobile truck is well branded, and we are always playing good music on our truck.
The truth is that people naturally get attracted to colorful designs and good music. We will also network with event managers; they are in a better position to help us increase sales especially when they are involved in outdoor events.
We hired experts who have good understanding of the Ice Cream and Gelato Store Franchises industry to help us develop 11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Despite the fact that our Italian ice and gelato dessert production company is a standard one with a wide range of flavors and products that can favorably compete with other leading brands in the United States, we will still go ahead to intensify publicity for all our products and brand. We are going to explore all available means to promote Dorothy’s Italian Ice.
Dorothy’s Italian Ice has a long-term plan of selling our franchise all around the United States of America which is why we will deliberately build our brand to be well accepted in Memphis – Tennessee before venturing out to other cities in the United States of America.
As a matter of fact, our publicity and advertising strategy is not solely for selling our products but to also effectively communicate our brand. Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Dorothy’s Italian Ice.
- Place adverts on both print (community based newspapers and magazines) and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, et al to promote our brand
- Install our Bill Boards on strategic locations all around Memphis – Tennessee
- Engage in road show from time to time in targeted communities
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
- Position our Flexi Banners at strategic positions in the location where we intend getting customers to start patronizing our products.
- Ensure that all our staff members wear our customized clothes, and all our official cars and trucks are customized and well branded.
When it comes to pricing for products such as Italian ice and gelato desserts, shave ice dessert, snow cone, ice creams and frozen yogurts, there are no hard and fast rules, the prices depend on the size and packaging. Generally, the price for Italian ice and gelato dessert, shave ice, snow cone, ice cream and frozen yogurts and similar products like confectioneries and cupcakes et al are affordable hence there is no need to employ any detailed strategies when it comes to pricing.
In view of that, our prices will conform to what is obtainable in the industry but will ensure that within the first 6 to 12 months our products are sold a little bit below the average prices of various Italian ice and gelato dessert brands in the United States of America. We have put in place business strategies that will help us run on low profit margin for a period of 6 months; it is a way of encouraging people to buy into our brands.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Dorothy’s Italian Ice is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Dorothy’s Italian Ice, will make available to her clients;
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards / Point of Sale Machines (POS Machines)
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
- Payment via bank draft
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our client make payment for products without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials to clients who may want to deposit cash or make online transfer for the purchase of our Italian ice and gelato dessert.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
When it comes to starting a standard Italian ice and gelato dessert production and Italian ice mobile truck business, one is expected to spend the bulk of the start – up capital on is the purchase of standard and well – equipped Italian ice and gelato dessert mobile truck and a shop facility.
Aside from that, you are not expected to spend much except for purchasing ingredient, paying of your employees and utility bills. These are the key areas where we will spend our start – up capital;
- The total fee for registering the business in the United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $1,300.
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of Dorothy’s Italian Ice®, LLC; in the amount of $3,500 and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of – $3,580.
- The cost for hiring Business Consultant – $2,500.
- Insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400.
- Other start-up expenses including stationery ($500) and phone and utility deposits ($2,500).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $100,000
- The cost for start-up inventory (raw materials and packaging materials et al) – $9,000
- Storage hardware (bins, rack, shelves, food case) – $3,720
- The cost for counter area equipment (counter top, sink, ice machine, etc.) – $9,500
- The cost for Italian ice and gelato dessert making equipment – $20,000
- The cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $4,750
- The cost of purchase of mobile shave ice truck – $50,000
- The cost of launching a website – $600
- The cost for our opening party – $5,000
- Miscellaneous – $1,000
We would need an estimate of One Hundred and Fifty Thousand ($150,000)to successfully set up our Italian ice and gelato dessert production company in Memphis – Tennessee. Please note that this amount includes the salaries of all the staff for the first 3 month of operation.
Generating Funds / Startup Capital for Dorothy’s Italian Ice®, LLC
Dorothy’s Italian Ice®, LLC is a privately registered family business that is owned and financed by Dorothy Jones and his immediate family members. We do not intend to welcome any external business partners, which is why he has decided to restrict the sourcing of the start – up capital to 3 major sources.
These are the areas we intend generating our start – up capital;
- Generate part of the start – up capital from personal savings and sell of stocks
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from my Bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $50,000 (Personal savings $40,000 and soft loan from family members $10,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $100,000 from our bank. All the papers and document have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited with the amount.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the numbers of loyal customers that they have the capacity and competence of the employees, their investment strategy and the business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business (company), then it won’t be too long before the business close shop.
One of our major goals of starting Dorothy’s Italian Ice, is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without the need for injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running. We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to retail our Italian ice and gelato deserts flavors a little bit cheaper than what is obtainable in the market and we are well prepared to survive on lower profit margin for a while.
Dorothy’s Italian Ice will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and re – training of our workforce is at the top burner.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of three years or more. We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
Check List / Milestone
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Conducting feasibility studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Leasing a shop facility (renovation inclusive): Completed
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Graphic Designs and Printing of Packaging Marketing / Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party / launching party planning: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – wholesale suppliers / merchants: In Progress
- Purchase of mobile Italian ice and gelato dessert trucks: Completed