Are you wondering what type of laser is best for black ink tattoo removal? If YES, here are 7 best lasers for black ink tattoo removal in 2021. Tattoo removal is indeed most effectively performed using lasers. The mechanism by which the laser works is by breaking up larger ink granules into smaller particles. The body is unable to clear the larger particles but when smaller, the immune system is capable of clearing the ink.
Successful clearance of a tattoo is dependent on several factors. While the experience of the physician performing the tattoo removal can’t be ignored, he/she is limited by the laser being used. Just as every patient is different, every tattoo that undergoes laser tattoo removal is unique.
Expert laser practitioners want to be able to remove any tattoo, regardless of the colours of ink in the design. To do so, you’ll need multiple laser wavelengths to get the job done. Different laser wavelengths are needed to remove different colours of tattoo ink.
The wavelength of a tattoo laser determines what colours it can treat. The most common colour in tattoos is black. The best wavelength for treating black inks is 1064nm. This wavelength also is the safest for darker skin type. Even if the tattoo doesn’t look like it has black ink, over 95% have some component of black ink. Therefore, it is imperative that the laser chosen for tattoo removal has a 1064 wavelength.
Note that the next most common ink is red. This is best treated with a 532 wavelength. Most times, the 532 and 1064 wavelengths are packaged together in the same laser. It requires a doubling of the frequency to go from 1064 to 532 (double frequency means halving wavelength).
The remaining colours require a variety of wavelengths so it is necessary to have multiple wavelengths to treat coloured tattoos. The lighter the colour – pink, yellow, white, light blue – the harder it is to treat. Also, have it in mind that the FDA does regulate laser tattoo removal machines. According to their guide to tattoo removal, when a laser tattoo removal machine acquires FDA approval, it means that the FDA has checked its equivalent to an existing legal machine on the market.
You’re also encouraged to contact the FDA’s MedWatch if you have any problems or severe negative reactions to tattoo removal. It’s important to report these things so that others can avoid those faulty laser tattoo removal machines and stay safe.
Aside from the FDA, there isn’t a single authority body that regulates and certifies these machines. It’s a good idea to check for clinical studies, however. Note that this will help you understand more about how the machines have been tested before being released to the public. They also give you a chance to see how they actually performed during use. Here are top lasers for black ink tattoo removal.
What is the Best Laser for Black Ink Tattoo Removal in 2021?
Table of Content
Youruo Portable Laser Tattoo Machine
This picosecond hand-held laser pen is designed for erasing small, simple tattoos. If you had eyebrow tattoos or even had your makeup permanently tattooed on your face, then this laser machine is designed to help. You can also use this tattoo remover on beauty marks, birthmarks, age marks, and vascular lesions.
The Youruo portable picosecond laser fires at two different wavelengths, in single or double pulses, at a spot size of 1 to 5mm. That’s quite small! You would struggle to remove a large tattoo with this tiny laser. Also, note that this laser unit has a colour touch screen that guides you through the process of using it. This makes it one of the easier tattoo removal lasers to use for beginners.
Lucid Q PTP Laser Tattoo Removal Machine
The Lucid Q PTP laser is a Q switched Nd: YAG tattoo remover with 1064nm and 532nm wavelengths available. It’s a large unit and is designed for professional use within a clinic – so you may struggle to buy one of these if you want it for home use!
Described as the “fastest laser tattoo removal machine”, this unit is easy to operate and has smart technology for auto-calibration. Note that it is ideal for beginners who don’t want to spend all day with their nose in the manual looking for the right instructions.
The speed of this tattoo laser is up to 25 Hz and it can maintain that speed and energy with spot sizes up to 10mm. That’s good for most tattoo sizes. Also, have it in mind that it comes with the fractional HP mode which allows this laser to be just as effective at targeting pigmentation in darker skin tones as well as lighter skin tones.
Single-pulse Q Switch Laser
Single-pulse Q switch laser is known as the world’s best tattoo removal laser. The technology is based on the belief that there should be no compromise on the ones who buy the product. The company cares for its customers’ safety. And that point is above all. Following are some specifications of the single-pulse Q switch laser. Those make it superior or different from the rest.
- The laser it contains has high energy. And the light is pure. The light beam tends to move deeper, and reaches every bit of the tattoo pigment, and breaks it.
- It can remove the most complex tattoos even those are the tattoos made with coloured ink like purple, orange, and green, sky blue.
- The laser beam has a high delivery capacity. It enters the skin and starts breaking pigments in just some nanoseconds.
- After the first shoot, a white-coloured frosting covers the skin and will not allow the subsequent shoots of laser to penetrate the skin.
- The machine is built with customer safety concerns.
NEATCELL Hand-Held Laser Tattoo Machine
This small, hand-held gadget by NEATCELL is designed to erase skin troubles and pigmentation, including tattoos. The most positive reviews for this device say that it helps to fade away old tattoos inked with black and blue colours.
Note that it is incredibly cheap, especially when you compare it to the tattoo removal machines that they use in clinics, which can cost upwards of $100,000. It’s also from an unknown brand and is made in China. The set includes a pair of glasses (though it would be wise to buy your own that block the blue light from this laser more efficiently), an instructions manual in US English, and USB charging cable.
PicoSure Tattoo Removal Laser
PicoSure is another tattoo removal laser that is considered the leader in the market of tattoo removal lasers. Below are some specifications of the PicoSure.
- PicoSure uses a smaller beam of light that makes it more effective
- Due to short beam technology, it doesn’t leave scars on the surrounding areas of the tattoo.
- The PicoSure uses the Picosecond technology. It is the most advanced form we have in the market for now.
- Unlike the other lasers, the PicoSure doesn’t use heat to bring the pigments apart rather it uses pressure waves to break the unwanted pigments.
- The broken tattoo pigments are then absorbed by the lymphatic tissue and you will get rid of them
6. DONSU Q Switch Laser Tattoo Removal Machine
This laser is for home use – but you better be ready to study the user manual that comes with it before you use it! The laser operates with 1064nm and 532nm wavelengths, which makes it wonderful for black and red ink colours but not so well for greens and blues. The spot area is adjustable from 1mm to 5mm, which is smaller than average.
In the box, you also get three different heads to use with the laser. One is meant for dark pigmentation and tattoos, while the other two are designed for freckles and acne. Generally, this is a better laser tattoo remover for very small tattoos. If you have eyebrow tattoos or small initials or stars somewhere on your body, this will be good enough to remove them. With larger tattoos, it will seemingly take you forever just to complete one session.
Zynx Tattoo Removal Machine
This is the professional-grade tattoo removing machine. It can also be leveraged for the removal of facial hairs and scars. The machine uses heat energy to disrupt the particle of the tattoo ink. As heat can cause harm to the skin so, the machine has two cooling built-in systems. These cooling systems instantly remove the sensation of heat when once the light beam hits the targeted particle of the ink. Here are some specifications of the Zynx tattoo removal machine.
- Along with tattoos, it can clear the birthmarks and the other age marks also.
- The machine has a coloured touch screen for easy monitoring of the operations.
- Leaves the skin with no scars.
- Only recommended for commercial level use.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Fastest Most Effective Tattoo Removal Technology For Black Ink?
According to experts, Picoseconds technology is the fastest, more powerful, safer, most effective tattoo removal technology for black ink.
What Tattoo Removal Laser Works Best On Dark Skin?
For darker skin tones, YAG laser technology remains the best for providing safe and effective treatments.
What Is The Best Choice Of Laser For Tattoo Removal, Q Switch Or Picosure?
Note that picosure lasers remove tattoos more quickly and completely than older-style Q-Switch lasers. PicoSure patients also report shorter recovery time compared to Q-switched lasers and fewer treatments to remove the tattoo. PicoSure laser tattoo removal can even remove stubborn blue and green ink and can be used in areas that have already been laser treated.
Which Laser Is Best For Dark Tattoo Removal, Picosure Or Astanza?
The PicoSure Laser is the fastest laser in the world for tattoo removal, clearing dark tattoo ink faster than Astanza, mainly because they use shorter light pulses that heat up so quickly they fracture the tattoo ink and have reduced risk of scarring surrounding tissue. The difference in speed is also what helps to make the picoseconds lasers less likely to scar the surrounding tissue.
What Are The Hardest Colours To Remove With Laser Tattoo Removal?
- Fluorescent dyes
- Lighter greens and blues
Why Do Ink Colours Matter For Laser Tattoo Removal?
This is because different wavelengths of light are absorbed by different tattoo ink colours. Note that the right wavelength will be attracted to the ink.
Can You Have A Black Tattoo Removed?
Yes, Black Tattoos are the easiest colours to remove. Tattoos with many colours are more challenging to remove. They might require treatment with different lasers and wavelengths to be effective.
What Are The Benefits Of Choosing Picosure Laser Tattoo Removal?
- Tattoo Removal for All Ink Colours
- Reduces the overall level of pain experienced
- Permanent Tattoo Removal
- PicoSure Is Accurate and Effective
- Used for Other Skincare Treatments
- Scarring Is Rare
What Are The Picosure Laser Tattoo Removal Pre And Post Care Instructions?
- Sun exposure, including tanning beds and the application of sunless tanning products, are expected to be avoided for 2 weeks prior to and after the treatment, preferably 4 weeks. Sun exposure, tanning, and sunless tanning products decrease the effectiveness of the laser treatment and increase the chance of post-treatment complications.
- Areas to be treated are expected to be clean and free of any lotion, makeup and sunscreen. If you have any of these on, they will have to be completely washed off prior to treatment.
- Accutane and any other photosensitizing medication should be discontinued for a period of at least 6 months prior to receiving treatment and should not be used during your course of treatment.
- Waxing and/or the use of chemical depilatories will have to be avoided in the treatment area for 2 weeks before and after the treatment to avoid skin sensitivity. Shaving is allowed before treatment to remove surface hair in the areas to be treated.
- You may not be pregnant for any treatment.
- During the period of your treatments, notify staff of any changes to your medical history, health status, or personal activities that may be relevant to your treatment.
- Immediately after treatment, there may be “frosting” on the area that is treated. Redness and swelling is typical. Pinpoint bleeding may also occur.
- A cool compress may be applied and Tylenol is recommended for discomfort.
- Clean treated area daily allowing water or shower to run over the wound, and then pat the area dry.
- Apply Aquaphor ointment to wound area 2-3 times a day. Keep the area moist, and let the scab fall off on its own.
- Cover the treated area with a non-stick Telfa gauze pad (after Aquaphor is applied) until the wound is healed.
- Try not to pick, peel, rub, scrub, or scratch at the skin in the treatment area throughout the healing process. If crusting occurs, do not shave or pick the area.
- Although blisters and scabs can be a normal response to tattoo removal, most patients will not experience them.
- No swimming or using hot tubs/whirlpools until the wound heals.
- Physical exercise that causes perspiration should be discontinued for at least 2-7 days after treatment as excessive perspiration may disrupt the healing process.
- Avoid sun exposure.
- Contact the office if there is any indication of blistering or infection (redness, tenderness or pus).
Pico Laser Tattoo Removal Technology, Myth or Reality?
Reality! Picoseconds lasers offer a faster and more extensive response than traditional tattoo removal approaches, such as nanosecond laser technology.
What Should You Do After Laser Treatment For Your Tattoo?
- Please ensure to use an over the counter antibiotic ointment like Neosporin.
- Do not be alarmed by blisters
- Remember not to pick the scabs, blisters, or crusts that form after your laser tattoo removal treatment.
- If you are experiencing any type of discomfort or inflammation after having a tattoo removed you can take Tylenol and also apply an ice pack hourly for 5-10min right after your treatment.
- Wear sun block to protect the area of your skin that received treatment for at least 3 months after each session. Do not apply make-up or anything that may irritate the healing area. Scented lotions tend to irritate healing skin.
- You may shower 2 hours after receiving tattoo removal.
Does Laser Tattoo Removal Leave Permanent Damage?
Yes, there is a slight chance that the treatment can leave a permanent scar and the tattoo removal site can become infected.
How Does The Picosure Laser Differ From Other Tattoo Removal Lasers?
Note that traditional Q-switched lasers deliver photo-thermal pulses that heat the skin and surrounding tissues, meanwhile, PicoSure leverages photomechanical technology to dismantle the tattoo particles. PicoSure patients also note shorter recovery time compared to Q-switched lasers and fewer treatments to remove the tattoo
What Do You Do To Prepare For Laser Tattoo Removal?
- Consider wearing sunscreen and/or avoid the sun
- Avoid pre-treatment shaving, waxing, or exfoliating
- Avoid tanning and spray tans several weeks prior to your procedure
- Do not smoke at least six weeks before undergoing treatment to promote better healing
- Avoid taking aspirin, certain anti-inflammatory drugs, and some herbal medications that can cause increased bleeding
- Irrespective of the type of treatment to be performed, hydration is very important before and after surgery for safe recovery.
How Does One Choose A Provider For Laser Tattoo Removal?
- Search for a provider that has different types of lasers
- Leverage a board-certified and experienced specialist
- Select a provider that completes a thorough consultation
- Pick a provider that communicates realistic expectations of the tattoo removal process.
- Do some research on lasers
How Does Laser Tattoo Removal Compare To Other Methods?
According to experts, laser treatment is more or less safer and faster than many other tattoo removal methods, such as excision, dermabrasion, or salabrasion because laser treatment selectively treats the pigment in the tattoo. Owing to the latest laser technology innovations, even those stubborn tattoos are no match. Once they are gone, they don’t leave anything behind except for a memory.
15. Will The Tattoo Disappear Completely After Treatment?
Generally, yes the tattoo will completely disappear after laser treatments but this will depend on a number of factors. These factors may include colours, tattoo artist experience, age of the tattoo, and the placement of the ink on the skin and the pressure the tattoo artist places when applying.
Does The Laser Remove Some Colours Better Than Others?
Yes, have it in mind that different dyes respond to different light wavelengths. Black and dark green are the easiest colours to remove; yellow, purple, turquoise and fluorescent dyes are the toughest to fade.
How Many Treatments Do You Need For Tattoo Removal?
Although every client and every tattoo is different, most professional tattoos will take around 5 and 10 treatments for complete removal and most amateur tattoos will need about 1 and 3 treatments.
What Type Of Tattoos Can Be Removed With Picosure?
According to experts, PicoSure can be used to remove a wide range of tattoo colours and types. Hard ink colours, such as blue and green, and previously treated tattoos can exponentially be removed with PicoSure.
- A Guide to Great Business ideas for the Future 2025 – 2030 - September 3, 2021
- How Long Do Cordless Drill Batteries Last in 2021? - August 2, 2021
- How Does the Use of Cargo Containers Benefit the Economy? - August 2, 2021