Do you want to start an in-home personal training business? If YES, here is a sample personal training business plan template & FREE feasibility report.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a personal training business. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample personal training marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for personal training businesses.
The fact that people want to stay fit and live healthy means that they will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal including exercising and eating right, and that is where personal fitness trainers comes in. The role of in-home personal trainers is to assist people in reaching personal health and fitness goals. Personal trainers possess the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to design safe and effective fitness programs.
If you want to partake in this thriving industry, then you need to obtain all the necessary licenses and certifications. Although there are competitions at various levels in the industry, but if you are able to come up with a good business strategy, you are sure of getting your own fair share of the available market in the industry.
Below is a sample in-home personal fitness trainer business plan template that will help you successfully write yours without much stress.
A Sample In-Home Personal Fitness Trainer Business Plan Template
Table of Content
- 2. Executive Summary
- 5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 6. SWOT Analysis
- 7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- 13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
1. Industry Overview
A personal trainer is an individual certified to have varying degrees of knowledge involved in exercise prescription and instruction. They motivate clients by setting goals and providing feedback and accountability. Trainers also measure their client’s strengths and weaknesses with fitness assessments.
These fitness assessments are usually performed before and after an exercise program to measure their client’s improvements. They should also educate their clients in many other aspects of wellness besides exercise, including general health and nutrition guidelines.
The Personal Trainers Services industry includes individuals who offer one-on-one and small-group fitness training. Personal trainers may also provide personalized diet programs. Personal trainers are typically employed by gyms, fitness studios and hospitals, or they are self-employed.
Please note that large – group instructors and professional athletic trainers are not included as part of the Personal Trainers industry.
A close study of this industry shows that the industry is truly thriving in the united states as a result of loads of Americans facing obesity and other health challenges over the past decade, with skyrocketing levels of diabetes, heart disease and other chronic diseases.
As a result, demand for the Personal Trainers has increased. Wellness, maintenance and disease prevention have become some of the buzzwords circulating among people who are becoming increasingly concerned about what they eat and how it affects their health.
The industry has a positive outlook due to increasing emphasis on disease prevention through improved exercise and dietary habits. Growing focus on preventive care services and public interest in nutrition will also underpin demand.
The Personal Fitness Services industry is a thriving sector of the economy of the United States of America and they generate over $9 billion annually from more than 577,757 registered and licensed personal fitness trainers/coaches. The industry is responsible for the employment of over 584,844 people.
Experts project the industry to grow at a 1.9 percent annual rate. It is important to state that there is no single organization that has a lion share of the available market in the industry.
A recent report published by IBISWORLD shows that the Personal Trainers industry has experienced steady growth over the last five years, fueled by rising demand for weight-loss services and greater interest in customized workout regimes.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than one third of Americans are obese, increasing demand for the Personal Trainers industry.
However, industry operators have had to increasingly compete with inexpensive do-it-yourself exercise methods that cost much less than personal trainers. Consequently, industry revenue growth has been relatively subdued in recent years, and IBISWorld estimates that industry revenue will grow 2.7 percent in the coming year.
It can’t be over emphasized that the demand for the services offered by personal fitness trainers grows when public confidence declines and people’s ability to handle issues on their own wanes. Going forward, clients will likely require less guidance, high-income households will serve as the primary vehicle of growth in the industry.
Lastly, as a personal fitness trainer, the key attributes needed to make good success from the trade is robust knowledge, patience, enthusiasm, passion about the specific area to be handled, and constant positivity. You are also expected to be highly proactive; you would need to be good at planning, preparation, and have certain other organizational skills.
2. Executive Summary
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company is a professional and licensed personal fitness services that is specialized in helping her clients go through fitness schedules, overcome their health challenges and achieve their personal health and fitness goals.
The scope of our business offerings covers areas such as health coaching cum counseling, planning and monitoring exercise programs, planning and monitoring food programs, planning and monitoring nutrition programs, promoting healthy eating habits and encouraging regular medical checkups et al.
Our business will be located in – between a well – populated residential estate and a business district in Las Cruces – New Mexico, United States of America.
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company is a client-focused and result driven fitness training company that provides broad-based in-home personal fitness services at an affordable fee that won’t in any way put a hole in the pocket of our clients. We will ensure that we work hard to meet and surpass all our clients’ expectations as it relates to their personal health and fitness goals.
At Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company, our clients’ overall best interest would always come first, and everything we do will be guided by our values and professional ethics. We will ensure that we hire certified personal fitness trainers with various skills set who are passionate in helping our clients achieve their personal fitness and health goals in record time.
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company will at all times demonstrate her commitment to sustainability, both individually and as a in – home personal fitness training company, by actively participating in our communities and integrating sustainable business practices wherever possible.
We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our clients’ needs precisely and completely.
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company is founded by Paul Anderson. He is a certified and renowned personal fitness coach with cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automated external defibrillator (AED) certifications and a member of The International Confederation of Registers of Exercise Professionals (ICREPs).
He has a combined experience of over 20 years working with top government officials, corporate executives, celebrities and sports people both in the United States of America.
3. Our Products and Services
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company is going to offer varieties of services within the scope of the Personal Trainers Services industry in the United States of America.
Our intention of starting our in-home personal fitness trainer business is to help our clients overcome their fitness and health challenges, achieve their personal fitness and health goals and improve their overall well-being. Our service offerings are listed below;
- Exercise instruction and demonstration
- Fitness consultation
- Planning and monitoring exercise programs
- Planning and monitoring food and nutrition programs
- Promoting healthy lifestyle and eating habits
- Encouraging regular medical checkups
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our vision is to build a highly competitive and effective in-home personal fitness trainer business that will become the number one choice for both individuals and corporate organizations in Las Cruces – New Mexico and the whole of the United States of America.
- Our mission is to provide affordable, professional and highly effective in-home personal fitness training services to a wide range of clients.
- We want to position Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company to become one of the leading in-home personal fitness brands in the industry in the whole of Las Cruces – New Mexico, and also to be amongst the top 10 personal fitness training companies in the United States of America within the first 5 years of operation.
Our Business Structure
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company, is intends starting small in Las Cruces – New Mexico, but hopes to grow big in order to compete favorably with leading firms in the industry. We are aware of the importance of building a solid business structure that can support the kind of world class business we want to own.
At Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company, we will ensure that we hire people that are qualified, hardworking, creative, passionate, result driven, customer centric and are ready to work to help us build a prosperous business that will benefit all our stake holders.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our senior management staff/partners and it will be based on their performance for a period of five years or more as agreed by the board of trustees of the company. In view of the above, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Principal Partner / Chief Personal Fitness Trainer
- Personal Fitness Trainer (Exercise Psychologist) (5)
- Office Administrator
- Marketing Executives
- Client Service Executive
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Principal Partner / Chief Executive Officer:
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results
- Creating, communicating, and implementing the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
Personal Fitness Trainers (Exercise Physiologist)
- Demonstrate how to carry out various exercises and routines
- Watch clients do exercises and show or tell them correct techniques to minimize injury and improve fitness
- Give alternative exercises during workouts or classes for different levels of fitness and skill
- Monitor clients’ progress and adapt programs as needed
- Explain and enforce safety rules and regulations
- Give clients information or resources about nutrition, weight control, and lifestyle issues
- Give emergency first aid if needed
- Evaluate clients’ fitness levels and health conditions
- Build individualized exercise programs
- Explain exercises in detail and suggest alternatives if needed
- Explain safe and proper use of gym equipment
- Research on new exercise techniques and trends
- Promote in home personal fitness packages and plans
- Perform CPR and administer first aid in case of emergencies
- Inform clients about gym safety and hygiene guidelines
- Build a positive and trusting relationship with customers
- Advise customers on how to change nutritional and lifestyle habits as needed
- Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- Regularly hold meetings with key stakeholders to review the effectiveness of the organizations’ Policies, Procedures and Processes
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Defining job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carrying out induction for new team members
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- Responsible for arranging travel, meetings and appointments
- Oversee the smooth running of the daily activities for the organization.
Marketing Executive (Contract)
- Identify, prioritize, and reach out to new clients, and business opportunities et al
- Follows up on development leads and contacts; participates in the structuring and financing of programs
- Negotiate fees and rates in line with organizations’ policy
- Responsible for handling business research, market surveys and feasibility studies for clients
- Responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- Documents all customer contact and information
- Represents Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company in strategic meetings
- Helps to increase sales and growth for the organization
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting for one or more properties.
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensuring compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the organization
- Serves as internal auditor for the organization.
Client Service Executive
- Welcomes clients and visitors by greeting them in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Ensures that all contacts with clients (e-mail, walk-In center, SMS or phone) provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with clients on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the company’s products and services
- Manages administrative duties assigned by the principal partners in an effective and timely manner
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on the organizations’ products, promotional campaigns etc. to ensure accurate and helpful information is supplied to clients when they make enquiries
- Receives parcels/documents for the organization.
6. SWOT Analysis
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company engaged the services of a core professional in the area of business consulting and structuring to assist our organization in building a well – structured personal fitness trainer business that can favorably compete in the industry in the United States.
Part of what the team of business consultant did was to work with the management of our organization in conducting a SWOT analysis for Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company. Here is a summary from the result of the SWOT analysis that was conducted on behalf of Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company;
Our core strength lies in our ability to attract local support and frequent referrals, having a high prior success rate and recommendation/accreditation from authoritative source. So also, we have a team with excellent qualifications and experience in the Personal Trainers Services industry.
Aside from the synergy that exists in our carefully selected team members and our strong online presence, Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company is well positioned in a community with the right demography and we know we will attract loads of clients from the first day we open our doors for business.
As a new in – home personal fitness training company in Las Cruces – New Mexico, it might take some time for our organization to break into the market and gain acceptance especially from top profile clients in the fast – growing Personal Trainers Services industry; that is perhaps our major weakness.
The services provided by the Personal Trainers industry are considered discretionary by most consumers. Consequently, demand for industry services is linked to per capita disposable income. When per capita disposable income rises, consumers are likely to pay for more industry services and opt for higher-priced industry offerings.
Going forward, per capita disposable income is expected to increase, representing a potential opportunity for the industry. As a standard in-home personal fitness training company, we are ready to take advantage of any opportunity that comes our way.
Adults between the ages of 20 and 64 represent the Personal Trainers industry’s largest market. Consequently, the aging baby-boomer generation and the coming of age of their children have broadened the market for personal trainers. The number of people aged 20 to 64 is expected to increase in the coming year, though the slow rate of growth poses a potential threat to the industry.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
The trend in the Personal Trainers Services industry shows that in the last half a decade, the industry has grown consistently. With the growing population of obese people in the United State, in-home personal fitness training services are needed regardless of economic conditions.
Going forward, as people continue to be employed and regain a steady income, private health insurance will become more affordable, prompting consumers to seek in – home personal fitness training services.
One thing is certain, the trend in the Personal Trainers Services industry is such that if you want to be ahead of your competitors, you should be able to acquire as much certifications as possible and you should be able to have loads of testimonies from your clients.
The truth is that if your clients experience huge difference in their overall well – being as a result of hiring your services, then they will be compelled to help promote your organization. Another notable trend in this industry is the influence of technology; the advent of technology is responsible for the increase income generated by personal fitness trainers all over the world.
With technology, it is now easier for in – home personal fitness trainers to collect data, direct their marketing towards the demography that needs their services and continue to learn and adopt international best practices in the industry.
8. Our Target Market
The target market for in – home personal fitness training companies is all encompassing. Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company is a professional in-home personal fitness training company that is specialized in helping her clients overcome fitness and health challenges, achieve their fitness and health personal goals and improving their overall wellbeing and productivity.
Our target market as a in – home personal fitness training company cuts across people of different classes and walks of life. We are coming into the Personal Trainers Services industry with a business concept that will enable us work with the clients from different backgrounds and status. Below is a list of the clients that we have specifically design our in – home personal fitness services for;
- Working class adults/corporate executives
- Business people/entrepreneurs
- Government officials
- Public figures
- Sports men and women
- College students
- People undergoing depression
- Senior citizens
Our competitive advantage
The Personal Trainers Services industry is indeed very prolific and highly competitive. Clients will only hire your services if they know that you can help them overcome their fitness and health challenges, and achieve their overall fitness goals.
We are quite aware that to be highly competitive in the Personal Trainers Services industry means that you should be able to deliver consistent quality service, our clients should be able to experience remarkable difference and improvement and we should be able to meet the expectations of our clients at all times.
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company might be a new in – home personal fitness training company in Las Cruces – New Mexico, but the management team and the owner of the business are core professionals, licensed and highly qualified personal fitness trainers that can successfully help her clients overcome their fitness and health challenges and achieve their personal fitness and health goals within a short period of time.
These are part of what will count as a competitive advantage for us. Lastly, our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the industry. It will enable them to be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and objectives.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company is established with the aim of maximizing profits in the Personal Trainers Services industry and we are going to ensure that we do all it takes to attract clients on a regular basis.
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company will generate income by offering the following services;
- Exercise instruction and demonstration
- Fitness consultation
- Planning and monitoring exercise programs
- Planning and monitoring food and nutrition programs
- Promoting healthy lifestyle and eating habits
- Encouraging regular medical checkups
10. Sales Forecast
One thing is certain, there would always be individuals who would need the services ofin-home personal fitness trainers in other for them to overcome their fitness challenges. This is the major reason why our services will always be needed.
We are well positioned to take on the available market in Las Cruces – New Mexico and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough income / profits from the first six months of operation and grow our business and our clientele base.
We have been able to examine the in-home personal fitness trainer’s market, we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast. The sales projections are based on information gathered on the field and some assumptions that are peculiar to similar startups in Las Cruces – New Mexico.
Below are the sales projections for Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company, it is based on the location of our in – home personal fitness training company and of course the wide range of services that we will be offering;
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $150,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $350,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $650,000
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor offering same services as we do within same location. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
We are mindful of the fact that there are stiff competitions amongst in – home personal fitness training companies in the United States of America; hence we have been able to hire some of the best marketing experts to handle our sales and marketing.
Our sales and marketing team will be recruited based on their vast experience in the industry and they will be trained on a regular basis so as to be well equipped to meet their targets and the overall goal of Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company.
We will also ensure that our clients overcome their fitness and health challenges in record time. Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company is set to make use of the following marketing and sales strategies to attract clients;
- Introduce our in – home personal fitness training company by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to corporate organizations, religious organizations, households and key stake holders in and around Las Cruces – New Mexico.
- Prints out fliers and business cards and strategically drop them in offices, libraries, public facilities and train stations et al.
- Uses friends and family to spread word about our in – home personal fitness training company
- Post information about our in – home personal fitness training company on bulletin boards in places like schools, libraries, and local coffee shops.
- Place a small or classified advertisement in the newspaper, or local publication about our in – home personal fitness training company
- Advertises our in – home personal fitness training company in relevant educational magazines, newspapers, TV and radio stations
- Attends relevant educational expos, seminars, and business fairs et al
- Engages direct marketing approach
- Encourages word of mouth marketing from loyal and satisfied clients.
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
We have been able to work with our brand and publicity consultants to help us map out publicity and advertising strategies that will help us walk our way into the hearts of our target market. We are set to become the number one choice for both corporate and private clients in the whole of Las Cruces – New Mexico which is why we have made provisions for effective publicity and advertisement of our business.
Below are the platforms we intend to leverage on to promote and advertise Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company;
- Place adverts on both print (community – based newspapers and health and fitness magazines) and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community – based events / programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google + et al to promote our brand
- Install our Bill Boards in strategic locations all around Las Cruces – New Mexico.
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
- List our in – home personal fitness training company in local directories / yellow pages
- Advertise our life in – home personal fitness training company in our official website and employ strategies that will help us pull traffic to the site.
- Ensure that all our staff members wear our branded shirts and all our vehicles are well branded with our logo et al.
12. Our Pricing Strategy
Generally, counseling and coaching services are billed on per hour billing rate and flat fees on a weekly or monthly basis as it applies. As a result of this, Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company will charge our clients flat fees except for few occasions where there will be need for us to charge special clients on hourly basis.
At Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company we will keep our fees below the average market rate by keeping our overhead low and by collecting payment in advance. We will also offer special discounted rates to all our clients at regular intervals.
We are aware that there are some clients that would need special assistance, we will offer flat rate for such services that will be tailored to take care of such clients’ needs.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company will make available to her clients;
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment with cash
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via mobile money
- Payment via Point of Sales Machines (POS Machines)
- Payment via check
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our client make payment for our services without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials to clients who may want to pay for our services.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
Starting an in-home personal fitness training company can be cost effective because on the average, you are not expected to acquire expensive machines and equipment. What you should be concerned about is the amount needed to secure a standard office facility in a good and busy business district, the amount needed to furniture and equip the office, pay bills, promote the business and obtain the appropriate business license and certifications.
This is what it would cost us to start our own standard in-home personal fitness training company in the United States of America;
- Business incorporating fees in the United States of America will cost – $750.
- The budget for liability insurance, permits and license will cost – $3,500
- Acquiring an office space that will accommodate the number of employees we intend employing for at least 6 months (Re – Construction of the facility inclusive) will cost – $35,000.
- Equipping the office (computers, printers, projectors, markers, pens and pencils, furniture, telephones, filing cabinets, and electronics) will cost – $10,000
- The cost for accounting software, CRM software and Payroll Software – $3,000
- Other start-up expenses including stationery – $1000
- Phone and Utilities (gas, sewer, water and electric) deposits – ($3,500).
- The cost for launching an official website will cost – $500
- The amount needed to pay bills and staff members for at least 2 to 3 months – $50,000
- Additional Expenditure such as Business cards, Signage, Adverts and Promotions will cost – $5,000
- Miscellaneous – $5,000
Going by the report from the market research and feasibility studies conducted, we will need about one hundred and fifty thousand (150,000) U.S. dollars to successfully set up a medium scale but standard in – home personal fitness training company in the United States of America.
Generating Funds/Startup Capital for Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company is a private business that will be owned by Paul Anderson. He is the only financier of the business which is why he has decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital for the business to just three major sources.
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings and sale of his stocks
- Generate part of the startup capital from friends and other extended family members
- Generate a larger chunk of the startup capital from the bank (loan facility).
N.B: We have been able to generate about $50,000 (Personal savings $35,000 and soft loan from family members $15,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $100,000 from our bank. All the papers and documents have been duly signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the number of loyal customers that they have, the capacity and competence of their employees, their investment strategy and business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business, then it won’t be too long before the business closes shop.
One of our major goals of starting Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running.
We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to offer our in – home personal fitness training services a little bit cheaper than what is obtainable in the market and we are prepared to survive on lower profit margin for a while.
Paul Anderson® Personal Fitness Training Company will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and retraining of our workforce is at the top burner of our business strategy.
We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check:>Completed
- Business Incorporation: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Leasing a standard office facility in a good location plus reconstruction: In progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating part of the startup capital from the founders: Completed
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents: In Progress
- Design of Logo for the school: Completed
- Printing of Promotional Materials: Completed
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed software apps, furniture, office equipment, electronic appliances and facility facelift: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the business: In Progress
- Creating awareness for the business in Las Cruces – New Mexico: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with estate managers and key players in various industries: In Progress