Are you about starting a private zoo company? If YES, here is a complete sample private zoo business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a private zoo. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample private zoo business marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for private zoos. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
When Walt Disney decided to build DisneyLand, most people doubted that the venture would succeed. But today, DisneyLand is the number one spot for children and adults looking for a park to catch maximum fun. People travel from all over the world to visit DisneyLand.
The truth is that any entrepreneur can model a business after Disney Land in any part of the world and make huge success from the business. So, if you are passionate about making children catch fun, then you should think of starting a private zoo.
The real deal in starting a private zoo business is securing a facility that is large enough to contain caging facilities for various animals, birds and sea creatures and other fun – filled outdoor games for children. You may also include a restaurant and of course enough parking space.
It might take you months to get an ideal facility and a collection of animals, birds and sea creatures, so it is better that you inform your real estate agent well in advance to help you with the search.
Starting a standard a private zoo is akin to starting a family entertainment center and it can be expensive but you can be rest assured that you will make your money within few years of launching the business.
If your private zoo facility is of high standard with unique animals and it is located close to a residential estate with loads of growing families, you will attract a lot of children especially on weekends and special holidays.
Below is a sample private zoo business plan template that can help you to successfully write your own with little or no difficulty.
A Sample Private Zoo Business Plan Template
1. Industry Overview
Private zoo is part of the Zoos and Aquariums industry and this industry is made up of operators that mainly preserve and exhibit land and aquatic animal life for conservation, academic purposes and display to the public. Please note that this industry does not include companies whose primary operations include arboreta, arboretums, aviaries or botanical gardens.
The Zoos & Aquariums industry generate revenue via donations and grants, admissions, membership services, tours, merchandise and food and beverages amongst others.
A recent report published by IBISWorld shows that over the five years to 2018, the industry performed well as unemployment rates declined and per capita disposable income levels increased. As consumers found themselves with more available income, they took more domestic trips and frequented industry establishments.
As a result, IBISWorld expects industry revenue to increase at an annualized 1.5 percent to $2.4 billion, including estimated growth of 2.4 percent in 2018 alone.
The industry has made a big splash over the five years to 2018, as industry revenue was bolstered by rising per capita disposable income, falling unemployment rates and a generally improving economy. Increased consumer spending has played into the industry’s growth as consumers splurged on discretionary items such as zoo park tickets.
The Zoos & Aquariums industry’s recent growth is set to continue during the next five years. The strengthening macroeconomic climate will boost discretionary spending, which will help the domestic tourism sector. The Zoos & Aquariums industry is indeed a very large industry and pretty much thriving in all parts of the world.
Statistics has it that in the united states of America alone, there are about 406 licensed and registered private zoos those who are responsible for employing about 23,040 employees and the industry rakes in a whooping sum of $2 billion annually with an annual growth rate projected at 1.5 percent between 2013 and 2018.
San Diego Zoo Global and Wildlife Conservation Society are the organizations with the lion shares of the available market in this industry.
In recent time, the Zoos & Aquariums industry has experienced revenue growth, despite many families being time – strapped. While the industry contended with mounting competition from alternative leisure activities, such as theme parks, amusement parks, fun centers and cinemas, many operators generated industry revenue growth on the basis of convenience.
In the coming years, the industry revenue is forecast to grow as family entertainment centers such as private zoos will continue to enhance their product portfolios to attract families, despite their reduced leisure time.
Starting a private zoo business in the United States of America can be stressful, it requires enough cash to acquire land large enough to attract families and also cash needed to acquire animals, birds and sea creatures and of course the money required to obtain licenses and to equip the facility to meet the standard expected by potential users.
2. Executive Summary
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is a standard zoo and aquarium business that will be located in a growing community in Washington MSA – District of Columbia. Our basic aim of setting up the business is to contribute our quota in ensuring that children cum families who live in Washington MSA and neighboring cities have a place to go to when they need to hang out as a family.
We have been able to secure a standard and safe facility in a visible location in Washington MSA – District of Columbia. We will primarily preserve and exhibit land and aquatic animal for conservation, academic purposes and display to the public and also to run a fun center for children. We will ensure that we acquire a robust collection of animals, birds and sea creatures.
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is going to become the number one family focused recreation facility in the whole of Washington MSA – District of Columbia and we will work hard to build our private zoo to match the needs of the average tourist and family in the community.
We conducted a thorough research and feasibility studies and we came to the conclusion that Washington MSA – District of Columbia is the right place to open our private zoo. As a matter of fact, our major aim of starting Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is to encourage families in the community to cultivate the habit of going out for recreational activities.
Our private zoo facility is designed to take care of children as well as parents, we have an active family fun center and we have membership packages that are highly discounted for tourist organizations and other groups.
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. will at all times demonstrate her commitment to sustainability, both individually and as a business, by actively participating in our communities and integrating sustainable business practices wherever possible. We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our client’s needs precisely and completely.
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is owned and managed by Jim Martins – Oscar and his immediate family members. Jim Martins – Oscar has a degree in Zoology from the University of Arkansas coupled with over 10 years’ hands on experience in the Zoos & Aquariums industry working for some of the leading brands in the United States of America.
3. Our Products and Services
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is in the Zoos & Aquariums industry to provide recreational facility for tourists and residence of Washington MSA – District of Columbia which is why we have been able to put up a facility that can help us achieve the goal.
We are optimistic that everyone who visit our facility will find unique animals, birds and sea creatures and of course get value for their money. These are the services and amenities that will be made available to our clients in our private zoo facility;
- Operating well secured zoo with a wide range of animals, fishes and bird collections
- Selling merchandise
- Selling food and beverages
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our Vision of starting Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is to build a safe and world – class private zoo with the capacity to display and perverse both wild and domestic animals, birds and sea creatures.
- Our mission for establishing Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is to preserve and exhibit land and aquatic animal life. We want to contribute our quota towards ensuring that Washington MSA communities attract visitors and tourists from all across the globe.
Our Business Structure
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is in business to become the leading private zoo facility in the whole of Washington MSA – District of Columbia and we are aware that it will take the right facility, management and organizational structure to achieve our goal.
We will ensure that we hire people that are qualified, honest, customer centric and are ready to work to help us build a prosperous business that will benefit all the stake holders. As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our senior management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of ten years or more.
Our business will not be built only for the purpose of giving our customers value for their money, but also to make our work environment highly conducive for all our employees. We will provide them with facilities that will help them stay motivated and deliver on their various tasks and goals et al.
In view of that, we have made provisions for the following positions to be occupied by highly qualified and experienced staff;
- Chief Executive Office – CEO
- Facility Manager
- Marketing and Sales Officer
- Private zoo Safety Instructor/Assistant (5)
- Customer Care Executive/Front Desk Officer
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – CEO:
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Creates, communicates, and implements the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
- Responsible for operating and managing the private zoo facility
- Ensures that the facility is in tip top position at all times
- Responsible for managing food and beverage services
- Manages membership and registration services
- Handles other relevant facility operation
Private zoo Safety Instructors/Assistants (5)
- Responsible for feeding the animals
- Ensures that children and adults alike follow laid down safety measures when they visit
- Handles registration
Marketing and Sales Officer (2)
- Identifies, prioritizes, and reaches out to new clients, and business opportunities et al
- Identifies development opportunities; follows up on development leads and contacts
- Writes winning proposal documents, negotiate fees and rates in line with organizations’ policy
- Responsible for handling business research, market surveys and feasibility studies for clients
- Documents all customer contact and information
- Represents the organization in strategic meetings
- Helps to increase sales and growth for the organization.
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting for the organization
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensures compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc.
- Serves as internal auditor for Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc.
Client Service Executive
- Welcomes members and potential members/clients by greeting them in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Ensures that all contacts with clients (e-mail, walk-In center, SMS or phone) provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with clients on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the organization’s services
- Manages administrative duties assigned by the management in an effective and timely manner
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on the organizations’ products, promotional campaigns etc. to ensure accurate and helpful information is supplied to clients when they make enquiries
- Responsible for cleaning in and around the zoo facility
- Cleans up after customers
- Washes glassware and utensils after each use.
- Maintains a clean working area by sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning of glass doors and windows, etc. if required.
- Ensures that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the facility manager.
6. SWOT Analysis
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is in business to provide private zoo facility for tourists, visitors, and families in Washington MSA – District of Columbia and at the same time to make profits. We are aware that there are competitions in the Zoos & Aquariums industry which is why we took out time to conduct an effective SWOT Analysis before investing our hard – earned money into the business.
We know that if we get things right before starting our private zoo, we will not have to struggle before attract loyal clients. We hired the services a HR and Business consultant with bias in business structuring to help us conduct SWOT analysis for our company and he did a pretty good job for us.
Here is a of the result we got from the SWOT analysis that was conducted on behalf of Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc.;
One of the obvious strengths that will definitely stand as a plus for Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is the fact that we have a wide range of rare breed of animals, birds and sea creatures in our zoo and our facility is centrally located in a densely populated – residential area in Washington MSA – District of Columbia; our location is in fact one of our major strength. We equally have a safety measure in place that will help our visitors enjoy their visit to our zoo.
We looked into our Business model and we were able to identify two major weakness. One is the fact that we are a new business and the second is the fact that we may not have the financial resources required to match up with existing private zoos as well as family entertainment and recreation facilities and even government own zoo, entertainment and recreation facilities in District of Columbia.
We are centrally located in one of the busiest areas and densely populated area in Washington MSA – District of Columbia and we are open to all the available opportunities that the city has to offer.
Some of the threats that are likely going to confront Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. are unfavorable government policies, inclement weather, demographic / social factors, downturn in the economy which is likely going to affect consumers spending and lastly, the emergence of new competitors within the same location where our private zoo facility is located.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
An increase in the number of international trips by US residents’ results in a loss of potential revenue for industry operators, as they only operate within the United States. International trips by US residents are expected to increase in 2018, posing a potential threat to the industry.
So also, trends in per capita disposable income positively correlate to changes in industry revenue. When individuals have a greater amount of disposable income, they are more likely to spend on discretionary services, such as zoo and aquarium visits.
Furthermore, as per capita disposable income rises, individuals are more likely to make private donations to industry establishments. Per capita disposable income is expected to increase in 2018, representing a potential opportunity for the industry.
Just like in other business ventures, the owners of private zoos are always looking for ways to increase their market share; they go as far as signing deals with high schools and also religious organizations et al to make use of their facility.
In an increasingly saturated market, private zoo operators will try to bring in revenue year-round, large, destination private zoos dominate the industry, attracting international visitors and operators are expected to continue trying to attract nontraditional markets by providing extra services.
Lastly, it is a common trend that as private zoos grow, it becomes necessary for them to develop new service offerings or install new facilities that will help them attract more people. Little wonder some private zoos now have other facilities targeted towards attracting adults/parents. In order words, it is very important for private zoo facilities to continue to improvise if they want to grow their business and generate their target revenues.
8. Our Target Market
The target market for private zoos cuts across people from different backgrounds. The fact that people visit or register in private zoo and recreational facilities for various reasons makes marketing the business interesting. The target market for private zoos and recreation facilities can be categorized into three various groups.
The first group are families who are looking towards creating time for family hangouts and bonding. The other group of people are schools who would want an ideal place to take students during excursions. These are the category of people that we intend marketing our family entertainment center to;
- Households and families in an around Washington MSA – District of Columbia
- Schools and research centers
- Churches and Religious centers
- Corporate organizations
- Travelers / Tourists
Our competitive advantage
No doubt, the Zoos & Aquariums industry is indeed a prolific and highly competitive industry. Clients will only visit your facility if they know that you can provide the enabling environment and facility for them to catch maximum fun.
We can boast of having some of the rare breeds of animals, birds and sea creatures in our zoo, we have access to multi – skilled and flexible workforce, proximity to key markets and carrying out regular maintenance to keep our facility in good condition.
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is centrally located close to a densely populated – residential area in Washington MSA – District of Columbia; this is obviously going to give us an edge amongst our competitors.
We equally have a team of highly qualified professionals who will work with our animals and all our clients to achieve their aims of visiting our private zoo facility and lastly our gate fee cum membership package is going to be one of the best that anybody living around Washington MSA – District of Columbia can get; it is cheap and affordable.
Lastly, our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the industry. It will enable them to be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our business aims and objectives.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Our marketing strategies will be directed towards achieving specific objectives that support the strategic goals of the organization. The truth is that all that we do will be geared towards creating new market channels, increasing sales and increases our market share.
We will leverage on improving on our services and facility to ensure that we win new clients and retain old members. As part of our sales and marketing strategies, we will pay attention to the promotion of our private zoo facility so as to attract families and corporate organizations to enroll.
Our unique selling proposition is that we are well positioned and people can easily access our facility, our prices are affordable and we have a complete package for families, clubs, schools and research organizations. Parts of the marketing and sales strategies that we will adopt are;
- Open our private zoo facility with a big party for all and sundry
- Advertise our private zoo facility on national dailies, local TV and radio stations
- Promote our private zoo facility online via our official website and all available social media platforms
- Introduce our private zoo facility by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to religious organizations, schools, corporate organizations, households and key stake holders in Washington MSA – District of Columbia
- Print out fliers and business cards and strategically drop them in offices, libraries, public facilities and train stations et al.
- Delivering consistent customer experiences to all our members; making our first impression count positively to those making use of our private zoo facility for the first time
- Make use of attractive hand bills to create awareness and also to give direction to our private zoo facility
- Adopt direct mailing coupon marketing approach
- Position our signage / flexi banners at strategic places in and around Washington MSA – District of Columbia
- Create a loyalty plan that will enable us reward our consistent members especially those that registered as a family or groups
- Engage in roadshows within our neighborhood to create awareness for our private zoo facility.
Sources of Income
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is established with the aim of maximizing profits in the Zoos & Aquariums industry and we are going to go all the way to ensure that we do all it takes to attract both individual clients (families) and corporate clients on a regular basis.
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. will generate income by offering the following services;
- Donations and grants
- Admissions fees into our private zoo facility
- Membership services (fees)
- Tours (fees to tour our private zoo facility from travels and tourism organizations)
- Selling food and beverages
10. Sales Forecast
It is important to state that our sales forecast is based on the data gathered during our feasibility studies and also some of the assumptions readily available on the field.
It would be hard to create a sales forecast with a newly opened business like a private zoo because the statistics that will be provided will be on a short – term basis. Experts say that usually a business should be in operation for at least one year before they can generate the statistics that will help in accurate forecasting; statistics should be at least one-year-old in order to show the trends and pattern in consumer spending.
We expect to welcome a minimum of 12,000 customers i.e. 0ne thousand customers per month within our first year of operation and then in subsequent year we will grow by 25 percent on more.
Below are the sales projection for Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc., it is based on the location of our private zoo facility and the services and products that we will be offering to our clients;
- First Fiscal Year: $240,000
- Second Fiscal Year: $450,000
- Third Fiscal Year: $750,000
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major competitor offering same services as we do within 4.5 miles’ radius from our private zoo facility.
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
We have been able to work with our branding and publicity consultants to help us map out publicity and advertising strategies that will help us walk our way into the heart of our target market. We are set to become the number one choice for clients in the whole of Washington MSA – District of Columbia which is why we have made provisions for effective publicity and advertisement of our private zoo facility.
Below are the platforms we intend to leverage on to promote and advertise Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc.;
- Place adverts on both print (community – based newspapers and magazines) and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community – based sport events and competitions
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook, twitter, YouTube, Google + et al to promote our brand
- Install our billboards in strategic locations all around Washington MSA – District of Columbia
- Engage in roadshow from time to time in targeted neighborhoods
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
- List Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. on local directories / yellow pages
- Advertise our private zoo in our official website and employ strategies that will help us pull traffic to the site.
- Ensure that all our staff members wear our branded shirts and all our vehicles are branded with our corporate logo.
12. Our Pricing Strategy
Our pricing system is going to be based on what is obtainable in the industry, we don’t intend to charge more and we don’t intend to charge less than what our competitors are charging as gate fees.
Be that as it may, we have put plans in place to offer discount services once in a while and also to reward our loyal customers especially when they refer clients to us or when they register as a family, groups or a religious organization and schools.
The prices of our gate fees and services will be same as what is obtainable in the United States’ open market.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. will make available to her clients;
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our client make payment for admission into our private zoo facility without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
When it comes to starting a private zoo business, you should be ready to raise enough capital to cover some of the basic expenditure that you are going to incur. The truth is that starting this type of business does not come cheap.
You would need money to purchase and secure a standard zoo facility big enough to accommodate the number of cages (animals) you want to be available in your zoo, you will also need money to obtain license and permits, acquire supplies, pay your workforce and pay bills until the revenue you generate from the business becomes enough to pay the daily running cost and overhead.
The items listed below are the basics that we would need when starting our private zoo facility business in the United States;
- The total fee for registering the business in the United States of America – $750.
- The cost for legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits – $1,500.
- Marketing promotion expenses (8,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of $10,000.
- The cost for hiring Business Consultant – $5,000.
- Insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $30,800.
- The cost of accounting software, CRM software and Payroll Software – $3,000
- The cost for leasing facility for the private zoo – $250,000.
- The cost for facility remodeling and equipping the facility with various cages – $150,000.
- The cost for acquiring a wide range of birds, sea creatures and animals – $200,000
- Other start-up expenses including stationery – $1000
- Phone and utility deposits – $3,500
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $100,000
- The cost for Start-up inventory – $15,000
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al) – $10,000.
- The cost of launching a website – $600
- The cost for our grand opening party – $15,000
- Miscellaneous – $15,000
We would need an estimate of $750,000 to successfully launch a small but standard private zoo in Washington MSA – District of Columbia.
Generating Funds/Startup Capital for Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc.
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is a business that will be owned and managed by Jim Martins – Oscar and his immediate family. They are the only financier of the business which is why they decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital for the business to just three major sources.
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings and sale of his stocks
- Generate part of the startup capital from friends and other extended family members
- Generate a larger chunk of the startup capital from the bank (loan facility).
N.B: We have been able to generate about $250,000 (Personal savings $200,000 and soft loan from family members $50,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $500,000 from our bank. All the papers and documents have been duly signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the number of loyal customers they have, the capacity and competence of their employees, their investment strategy and the business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business, then it won’t be too long before the business closes shop.
One of our major goals of starting Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without the need for injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running. We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to equip our facility with some of the rarest breeds of animals, birds and sea creatures, make our zoo facility safe and secured and of course make our services affordable.
Green Abode® Private Zoo, Inc. will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and retraining of our workforce is at the top burner.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of ten years or more. We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Acquiring facility and remodeling the facility (construction of cages and housing for animals inclusive): In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed animals, birds and fishes: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: Completed
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and in the neighborhood: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party planning: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors and key stakeholders in the industry: In Progress