Do you want to start a pure green company and need to write a business plan? If YES, here is a sample pure green business plan template & feasibility report. Starting a business from the very scratch can be daunting and starting a juice and smoothie bar is no different. Instead, buying a franchise is one of the easiest ways to start your own business. When you purchase a franchise, you remove a lot of the guessing work that goes into opening your own business.
Table of Content
- 2. Executive Summary
- 5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 6. SWOT Analysis
- 7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- 13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
Why Start a Pure Green Business?
Pure Green is one of the fastest growing smoothie and juice bar franchises in the country. Pure Green is a New York City born juice bar that started in 2014 when wellness entrepreneur, Ross Franklin opened the first Pure Green retail location.
This company over the years has evolved from a New York City based juice and smoothie business into a national wholesale company and franchise empire. Pure Green currently has 7 retail locations in New York City and has locations in development in both Florida and Chicago.
The company’s menu consists of handcrafted and made-to-order superfood smoothies, acai and pitaya bowls, organic steel-cut oatmeal and cold pressed juice and shots. Pure Green boasts of using the highest quality ingredients for all their products with superfoods sourced from all over the world.
Pure Green is a simple, easy-to-operate business that doesn’t require any prior food experience. The juice bar market is strong and growing, and Pure Green stands out with a menu built around performance-based superfood ingredients. Pure Green’s philosophy is that every product on the menu should taste amazing and be a nutritional powerhouse.
A Sample Pure Green Business Plan Template
1. Industry Overview
This industry consists of establishments that primarily sell smoothies and fresh-made juices. A smoothie is a blended, sometimes sweetened beverage primarily made from fresh fruit or vegetables combined with ice, frozen fruit or other frozen ingredients.
Some juice and smoothie bars offer add-ins, like soy milk, whey powder, green tea and herbal or nutritional supplements. Revenue from other beverage and food sales is also included. According to reports, the Juice and Smoothie Bars industry has grown steadily over the past five years as businesses in this industry have adapted to rapidly changing consumer preferences.
In recent years, the perceived high sugar content of some smoothies and juices has forced the industry to adapt its offering. For this reason, cold press juice, which is made by hydraulically chopping and crushing produce thereby yielding highly nutritious juice, has risen to prominence.
Experts believe this industry will continue to evolve over the next five years, in line with consumer preferences. Owing to rising competition levels and less certainty about future consumer tastes, the industry is projected to become more nimble, with juice bars subletting space from existing retailers.
2. Executive Summary
Our parent company, Pure Green, was established in 2014 with the mission of inspiring healthier communities by connecting people with nutrient rich and great tasting products. Over the years, it has grown into a company that is very passionate about providing nutrient dense and delicious products that supercharge human body for peak performance.
The general goal of the company is to inspire people to live a healthy lifestyle with the highest quality and best tasting products in our warm, friendly and engaging locations. Pure Green cold pressed juice is proudly served to professional athletes from over 50 professional sports teams, high-end hotels, celebrities and everyday people looking for optimal nutrition.
The company’s dedication to the mission of inspiring healthier communities has made Pure Green a standout leader within the wellness space, helping the company realize exponential franchise growth. By opening a franchised Pure Green location in Detroit, we hope to establish the right culture of educating our guests on optimal nutrition and world class hospitality where we create a warm, friendly and engaging guest experience.
We plan to bring to Detroit the same quality of ingredients and commitment that sets Pure Green apart from competitors. It is our mission to create healthier communities around Detroit that set’s us apart from the other industries and attract encouraging foot traffic to our location.
Detroit, is the largest and most populous city in the state of Michigan, the largest American city on the United States – Canada border, and the seat of Wayne County. The municipality of Detroit had an estimated population of 672,662 (2008), making it the 23rd-most populous city in the united states. The metropolitan area, known as Metro Detroit, is home to 4.3 million people, making it the second-largest in the Midwest after the Chicago metropolitan area.
Our objective is to lease a site very close to the Palmer Park neighborhood just west of Woodward. We will need to remodel the interior according to the Pure Green company design. We also plan to duplicate the successful formula used by Pure Green all over the United States.
We will use our own personal strategies and skills to create our own success in our own location. We also plan to train our crew at the Pure Green University to ensure outstanding results in quality food and customer service. Our plan is to become the first Pure Green Shops in Detroit and provide the highest quality products, duplicating Pure Green successful products.
We will also provide top notch service in a quick and efficient manner and keep our menu simple to maintain low food cost. We also plan to leverage marketing strategies to build volume quickly, while also maintaining and expanding an outstanding reputation as being the best neighborhood juice bar.
3. Our Products and Services
Pure Green’s founder, Ross Franklin, is dedicated to health and wellness and it has reflected immensely on all Pure Green products. At Pure Green Detroit, we will offer good green smoothie with kale, spinach, mango, banana, pineapple, and coconut water.
These smoothies are absolutely delicious; not too sweet, but it avoids the heavy veggie flavor that some green smoothies have. We will also offer Banana Nut smoothie, with banana, cashew butter, pure coconut, pure whey protein, lacuna nectar, and coconut water, which are delicious and decadent.
Our products will also include Mocha Cold Brew smoothie, with cold brew coffee, raw cacao, almond butter, banana, pure whey protein, Lucama nectar, and almond milk. We will also make our own house milks, almond, cashew, and coconut; all sweetened with Lucama nectar which adds a delightful sweetness without attacking taste buds with sugar.
All our juices will be fresh made and bottled in store, cold pressed, with no preservatives, so you know how fresh they really are, and you can taste it. We will also offer many non-green juices as well, beet, watermelon, lemonade, and coconut water with fruit and chia seeds. Pure Green Detroit will also offer cleanses with a range of choices.
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- At Pure Green Detroit, our vision is to generate sales and profit. Also, since we are a service business, we will also exist to serve our customers. These two reasons for our existence are inextricable. If one aspect does not exist, the other will cease to exist.
- At Pure Green, our mission is to inspire healthier communities by connecting people with performance driven superfoods.
- Making an impact on people’s health is not an extension of our business, it is our business and it drives everything that we do, from how we source ingredients to who we hire and how we build relationships with our local communities.
Our Business Structure
Pure Green Detroit consists of five members with an equal concern in our franchise. We will owner operate our Juice bar daily. We will keep our starting salaries low to keep labor costs down. Each member contributes with a generalized assignment as well as being trained in all the bar’s operations, including making smoothies, working the counter, and delivering juice.
We are an extremely experienced, and well balanced team. We plan to have a part-time staff to include smoothie makers, delivery drivers, and servers. We are planning on a staff of 10 employees to come on at peak business levels. Our first month will have a higher labor rate due to training, pre-opening preparation and grand opening labor.
We have forecasted labor at 16% of gross sales. We will strive to keep our payroll at 16% or lower. Our founding members collectively will select each candidate. They will adopt an effective interview process designed to staff the bar with highly qualified people for each position.
Each applicant will be rated and evaluated according to Pure Green pre-defined set of standards designed for each position and further sent to Pure Green University for intense training. Background checks will be utilized for designated positions. Recruiting efforts will always center on referrals. These roles include:
- Facility Operator
- Information officer
- Department managers
- Store manager
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counselling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results
- Creating, communicating, and implementing the facility’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall facility’s strategy.
- Tasked with fixing prices and signing business deals
- Tasked with providing direction for the business
- Tasked with signing checks and documents on behalf of the Pure Green Detroit
- Evaluates the success of the facility
- Tasked with preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the facility
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports
- Tasked with financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting
- Tasked with developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Tasked with administering payrolls
- Ensures compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the facility
- Serves as internal auditor for the facility
- Provide technological guidance within the facility.
- Supervise information system and communications network.
- Develop and implement a customer service platform to serve the facility in every aspect.
- Design, establish, and maintain a network infrastructure for local and wide area connectivity and remote access.
- Oversee Internet and computer operations.
- Takes care of the day-to-day operations of the information technology department including directing staff, who support administrative computing, networking, user services, telecommunications and other information technology functions.
- Assess and anticipate technology projects and recommend appropriate action and resources.
- Controls inventory levels by conducting physical counts; reconciling with data storage system.
- Maintains physical condition of store by planning and implementing new design layouts; inspecting equipment; issuing work orders for repair and requisitions for replacement.
- Maintains store staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with customers on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the Pure Green Detroit ’s products and services
- Takes care of administrative duties assigned by the operator in an effective and timely manner
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on Pure Green Detroit, promotional campaigns etc. to makes sure accurate and helpful information is supplied to customers when they make enquiries
- Tasked with cleaning the facility at all times
- Makes sure that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Cleans both the interior and exterior of the facility
- Any other duty as assigned by the operator.
6. SWOT Analysis
Our goal at Pure Green Detroit is to create a Pure Green modelled smoothie and juice bar that caters to the need of the people of Detroit, which will also capture majority of the local market share. We are very passionate about providing nutrient dense and delicious products that supercharge human body for peak performance. Clearly summarized below is the result of our SWOT Analysis that states our strengths and shortcomings in the industry;
- We leverage every means available to satisfy our customers.
- We will be committed to the success and happiness of our staff.
- We will be committed to providing quality products and beverage at all times.
- We will consistently follow the franchisor’s proven methods.
- Recruiting and retaining quality employees
- Tight margins will allow little wiggle room for error
- Little barriers to entry allows for immediate business opportunities
- New and viable market
- Government mandates (restaurant operation, food safety, and worker protection at the federal level and health, sanitation, safety, fire at the local level)
- Rising operating costs
- Building/maintaining sales volume
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
In this increasingly connected world, individuals are becoming more aware to the environmental impact of a growing population competing over finite natural resources. They are becoming more open to less harmful products – especially if they are as easy to find and use as other products.
Though the scientific cause and effect of many environmental issues remains debated by some, what is undeniable is a significant consumer interest in environmentally friendly business practices and products.
Recent reports have it that 88% of Americans believe taking care of the earth is very important – but only 52% believed that the government should be taking action to protect it. Green business can benefit either way: greater consumer interest and/or more protective policy!
Globally, reports have it that 55% of consumers across 60 countries are willing to pay higher prices for goods from environmentally conscious companies. Another study claims that 71% of Americans at least consider the environment as a factor when shopping.
Organic food sales in particular seem to have turned a corner, rising 11.3% in 2014, while overall food sales grew only 3%. Organic food has become far more mainstream over the last several years – expanding well beyond the niche market it once was. Sales in 2014 were over $35 billion – compared to only $3.4 billion in 1997.
Growth is projected to continue strongly until at least 2022. Explicitly, consumers care more now than ever about green industry and have the resources to find the products that meet their requirements. And companies are noticing!
From huge multinational companies and local businesses to the meaningful growth in green franchise opportunities, the green movement is in full swing and reaping benefits. And the trend is not driven by customer interest alone, as sustainable business practices help companies save money over time.
8. Our Target Market
Pure Green Detroit will appeal to a broad base of consumers in both the residential and business community. The location selected for Pure Green Detroit was chosen primarily to appeal to the growing number of households and workers in the area. Detroit is a major port on the Detroit River, one of the four major straits that connect the Great Lakes system to the Saint Lawrence Seaway.
The city’s Metropolitan Airport is ranked among the most important hubs in the United States. The City of Detroit anchors the second-largest regional economy in the Midwest, behind Chicago and ahead of Minneapolis–Saint Paul, and the 13th-largest in the United States.
About 80,500 people work in downtown Detroit, comprising one-fifth of the city’s employment base. Thousands more employees work in Midtown, north of the central business district. A number of the city’s downtown employers are relatively new, as there has been a marked trend of companies moving from satellite suburbs around Metropolitan Detroit into the downtown core, where our first facility will be located.
All Pure Green Operators successfully complete an extensive, multi-week training program prior to taking over operation of a franchised Pure Green business.
With additional development courses and franchise support available, Pure Green Operators are equipped to handle decisions and reap the rewards of a challenging business. We will differentiate ourselves with SERVICE! We will establish our business offering as a clear and viable alternative for our target market.
- Create a relationship-oriented business
We will establish concrete long-term relationships with customers, not single-visit deals. Become their smoothie bar and destination of choice. Make them understand the value of the relationship.
- Focus on target markets
We also plan to focus our offerings on specific population groups as the key market segment we should own. We do not want to compete for the buyers who go to “fast food” or “Fried products” types of restaurants. We definitely want to be able to sell to smart, quality conscious customers.
- Leverage our skills and experience
We will also make use of the various skills of our Managing Owners and learn through the extensive training program provided by our parent company.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
At Pure Green Detroit, we will generate revenue by offering the people of Detroit good green smoothie with kale, spinach, mango, banana, pineapple, and coconut water. These smoothies are absolutely delicious and it avoids the heavy veggie flavor that some green smoothies have.
We will also attract customers and generate good income by offering Banana Nut smoothie, with banana, cashew butter, pure coconut, pure whey protein, lacuna nectar, and coconut water, which is delicious and decadent. Our products will also include Mocha Cold Brew smoothie, with cold brew coffee, raw cacao, almond butter, banana, pure whey protein, Lucama nectar, and almond milk.
We will also make our own house milks, almond, cashew, and coconut; all sweetened with Lucama nectar which adds a delightful sweetness without attacking taste buds with sugar. We will also sell many non-green juices as well, beet, watermelon, lemonade, and coconut water with fruit and chia seeds. Pure Green Detroit will also offer cleanses with a range of choices.
10. Sales Forecast
We at Pure Green Detroit are forecasting sales of approximately $956,000 in our first fiscal year (February 2022 to March 2022) with an opening date of mid-February 2022. We project sales increasing at .5% monthly, an overall yearly rate of 6% per year.
Our forecast is conservative and is based on an average of $24.00 average per order. At Pure Green Detroit, we are convinced that our business will increase with time. We have a strong management team who will be on the property daily to monitor operations. We will constantly watch product quality, customer service, and costs.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
At Pure Green Detroit, we plan to start our marketing during the construction phase. Our main factor in success is simply that a person can enjoy a good and fresh juice, fast service, and friendly familiar faces. We will all be involved in Sales and Marketing.
We will gather information about the neighborhoods, use our POS System to track top sellers and gather a customer base for marketing offers. We will also mandate our staff to have a comprehensive understanding of the menus, ingredients and methods of preparation of all of our products.
We train our staff to always describe and recommend items, even to regular customers, and to always up-sell. The key to our employee’s success in up-selling is the realization that it almost always brings in better tips because the checks are higher. We will emphasize service to differentiate ourselves.
We will establish our business offerings as a clear and viable alternative for our target market, from the scores of “slow delivery”, “artificial ingredients”, and “your average” juice bar chains. We will build long-term relationships with our customers, becoming their destination of choice for fresh juices. We will sell ourselves as the best neighborhood and community juice bar.
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
At Pure Green Detroit, we plan to gather enough brand awareness to leverage the product line into other regions and gain inquiries from potential inventors. To achieve this goal to expand and grow, we plan to do the following;
- Pay 6% publicity fee to our parent company
- Pay $1,239 per month on Public relations services for the next year intended to build awareness of editors and product information insertions, reviews, etc.
- Spend $790 per month concentrating on drive time Radio advertising. We plan to experiment with different stations, keeping careful track of results. As with the school fundraising program, we expect the stand and signage to be a substantial portion of our advertising.
- List our business on local directories
- Attend relevant international and local health, finance and business expos, seminars, and business fairs et al
- Leverage on the internet to promote our business
- Engage direct marketing approach
- Encourage word of mouth marketing from loyal and satisfied clients
12. Our Pricing Strategy
At Pure Green Detroit, plans are in place to boost our income, which may include posting specials on high-profit items at the drive-up window. We also plan to give out free product coupons to those who have purchased a certain number of smoothies or something similar.
Also, our management has been able to develop window sales techniques such as our servers asking if the customer would like new flavor toppings with any drink of their choice. We believe that our pricing will be stable with what our parent company offers in the market, but with the value-added feature of immediate, Sit-down service and convenience.
- Payment Options
We at Pure Green Detroit plan to ensure that all our payment options will be all inclusive and acceptable because we understand greatly that different people prefer different payment options. Here are the payment options that we will make available to our clients;
- Payment by cash
- Payment via Point of Sale (POS) Machine
- Payment via online bank transfer (online payment portal)
- Payment via Mobile money
We have also chosen banking platforms that will help us achieve our plans with little or no issues. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials to clients who may want to deposit cash or make transfers.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
We at Pure Green Detroit hope to take advantage of an existing structure located close to Palmer Park neighborhood just west of Woodward. It is 2,429 square feet. We will remodel according to the Pure Green designs to make our concept both visually and functionally suitable.
- Construction is estimated at $348,630 – see Pure Green FDD
- Start-up cash on hand is estimated for 3 months working capital, inventory, labor and rent.
- Short-term assets include phone equipment, small wares, booths, chairs, tables, pendants, sconces, and lighting.
- Long-term assets include all kitchen equipment, POS system, and signage.
- Confidential and proprietary information are omitted from this plan.
Generating Funding/Startup Capital for Pure Green Detroit
Pure Green Detroit will be established as a Limited Liability Company, with five managing owners holding an equal share (20%) and interest in the franchise.
- Precious Panthers: Facility Operator. Hands-on management of all daily facility and company operations.
- Martin Duff: Information Manager. Hands-on management of daily operations and sales trends.
- Fidel Steve: Store manager. All office procedures. Hands-on management of daily operations.
- Richard Thomas: Cashier/ Marketing and future finances and investments. Hands-on management of daily operations.
- Felix Stowe: Departments manager. Hands-on management of daily operations.
Note: The purpose of this business plan is to secure additional, long-term funding from our banking platform to establish a Pure Green franchise in the city of Detroit. The owners of the company are willing to invest $250,000 and assume over $311,000 in short-term liability to secure the funding for inventory, and early operations. The SBA 504 loan we seek is in the amount of $250,000 and if approved, will be amortized to 2 years.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Pure Green Detroit exists for the purpose of generating sales and profit, since we are a service business that will exist to serve our customers. These two reasons for our existence are inextricable. If one aspect does not exist, the other will cease to exist. We will always offer fresh products and a welcoming environment.
We will remain cheerful, courteous, well trained, and focused on pleasing our guests. We will strive to become the first destination of choice for those in our neighborhood and community. Our staff will be offered a workplace where they can prosper and grow in a dignified, fun, and rewarding manner. We will give support to and contribute to our community schools, churches, groups, and businesses.
We are projecting profit based on the performance of other franchises and our own judgement. We assume that by using marketing strategies, sales strategies, good customer relationships, fresh ingredients, and good management practices, we will succeed.
In order to meet the sales goal in the first year we would have to sell 120 checks each day with a $24 per check average. Our sales each day should reach an minimum average of $2,880. Note that our forecast is based on an average and some months will increase and others decrease.
We do not predict any major decreases in sales, as Detroit area restaurants are busy all year round. Our main concerns will be aggressive time management to keep labor costs under control. Proper purchasing, food preparation and handling to keep food costs down. Growth will be sustained through increased sales.
At Pure Green Detroit, we haven’t ruled any one group or class out in our target market area. Just about everyone loves juices, talk more of energy and health boosting juices. Most residents in Detroit have busy schedules, and find value in exceptional and timely service.
We strongly believe that almost everyone will appreciate our value based products and calm atmosphere. We have a strong commitment to community involvement including sponsorship for school/group teams. We strongly believe we will overcome any competition in our area.
The local competition includes Starbucks, McDonald’s, Papa John’s, Little Caesars etc. Most of these are at least three miles from our location and are no competition to our concepts, ideals, fresh ingredients, and welcoming service. Pure Green Detroit will remain competitive in the mid-price point. With an average ticket of $24.00, we are priced above our direct competitors. Quality, Quick, and Simple is the goal of Pure Green Detroit.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Incorporation: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts : Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Conducting feasibility studies: Completed
- Leasing, renovating and equipping our facility: Completed
- Generating part of the startup capital from the founder: Completed
- Applications for Loan from our Bankers: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Packaging and Promotional Materials: Completed
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of software applications, furniture, office equipment, electronic appliances and facility facelift: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business (Business PR): In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with banks, financial lending institutions, vendors and key players in the industry: In Progress