Are you about starting a sand blasting company? If YES, here is a complete sample sand blasting business plan template & feasibility report you can use FREE.
If you are interested in the commercial cleaning industry and you are looking towards starting a niche business in the industry, then one of your best bets is to start a sandblasting business.
Table of Content
- 1 What is Sandblasting?
- 2 Sandblasting Business Plan – Executive Summary
- 3 Sandblasting Business Plan – SWOT Analysis
- 4 Sandblasting Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- 5 Sandblasting Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- 6 Sandblasting Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
- 7 Sandblasting Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
What is Sandblasting?
Sandblasting is a process that is used to roughen or clean (a surface) with a jet of sand driven by compressed air or steam.
If you are sure that this type of business is what you truly want to do after you must have conducted your market research and feasibility studies, then the next step to follow is to write a good business plan; a detailed blue print of how you intend raising your seed capital, setting up the business, managing the flow of the business, sorting out tax and marketing your services.
Below is a sample sandblasting services company business plan template that will help you to successfully write your own without stress.
A Sample Sandblasting Business Plan Template
- Industry Overview
Sand blasting which is also known as bead blasting and abrasive blasting, is a generic term for the process of smoothing, shaping and cleaning a hard surface by forcing solid particles across that surface at high speed; the effect is similar to that of using sandpaper, but provides a more even finish with no problems at corners or crannies.
Sandblasting can occur naturally, usually as a result of particles blown by wind causing aeolian erosion, or artificially, using compressed air. Interestingly, sandblasting is part of the pressure washing services industry.
Sandblasting is the technique that is used in creating the lettering and engraving on most modern cemetery monuments and markers. Sandblasting can also be used to produce three-dimensional signage. This type of signage is considered to be a higher-end product when compared to flat signs. These signs often incorporate gold leaf overlay and sometimes crushed glass backgrounds which is called smalt’s.
When sandblasting wood signage, it allows the wood grains to show and the growth rings to be raised, and is a popular way to give a sign a traditional carved look. Sandblasting can also be done on clear acrylic glass and glazing as part of a store front or interior design.
Sandblasting can be used to refurbish buildings or create works of art (carved or frosted glass). Modern masks and resists facilitate this process, producing accurate results. Sandblasting techniques are used for cleaning boat hulls, as well as brick, stone, and concrete work. Sandblasting is used for cleaning industrial as well as commercial structures, but is rarely used for non-metallic workpieces.
The sandblasting cum pressure washing industry is in the mature stage of its life cycle. Over the last 10 years, the industry is projected to improve its contribution to the United States’ economy by 3.6 percent. The sandblasting cum pressure washing industry is expected to grow a little faster than the overall economy due to a steep revenue decline and profit margin contractions at the start of the stated period, effectively skewing IVA growth rates.
Going forward, in the next five years, the sandblasting cum pressure washing industry IVA and GDP are expected to increase at a steady rate.
Just like any other business, the demand for sandblasting services usually declined during recession period/economic downturn due to declining household spending on cleaning services and reduced demand from business clients. As the economy grew, and income increased, there will be corresponding increase in the demand for cleaning related services such as sandblasting.
The Sandblasting cum Pressure Washing industry is indeed a very large industry and pretty much thriving in some parts of the world especially in developed countries. As a matter of fact, there are no companies with a leading market share in the industry.
Statistics has it that in the United States of America alone, there are about 135,302 licensed and registered pressure washing cum sandblasting businesses responsible for employing about 187,073 employees and the industry rakes in a whooping sum of $9bn annually with an annual growth rate projected at 0.5 percent
In conclusion, it is important to state that any cleaning operation that make use of sandblasting technique can present risks for workers’ health and safety, specifically in portable air blasting or blast room (booth) applications. This is why it is important to properly learn the trade before launching your sandblasting business.
Sandblasting Business Plan – Executive Summary
Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. a standard sandblasting cum pressure washing business that is incorporated under the law of the United States of America. Our head office will be located in a densely populated business district in the heart of Los Angeles – California, U.S. We are strategically positioned in between a residential center and an industrial hub and we are set to service the whole of the community.
Our basic service offering as a sandblasting company will revolve around sandblasting and related services. Although our intention of starting a sandblasting business is to offer only the above stated services, but we will not close our doors to diversification (additional services) as long as it does not affect our core services.
We will offer both in-station and out-off station services. Our customers will have the options of choosing from our different packages which is why we designed various packages.
At Ed Graham® Sandblasting, we are quite optimistic that our values and quality of service offering will help us drive our sandblasting business to enviable heights and also help us attract the number of clients that will make the business highly profitable. We will be dedicated to establishing good business relationships with our clients giving them value for their money and reasons for them to hire our services again.
We are quite aware that in order to become the number one choice in our city, we must continue to deliver quality sandblasting services and that is exactly what we will do. We are open to the use of latest technology in the industry. No doubt our excellent customer service and the range of services we offer will position us to always welcome repeated customers.
Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. is owned and managed by Mr. Ed Graham and his immediate family members. Ed Graham has over 15 years’ experience managing some of the leading pressure washing companies in different cities in the United States of America and Canada prior to starting Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc.
- Our Service Offerings
Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. is a standard and well – equipped sandblasting company that offers a wide range of services. We intend giving our customers every reason to always come back which is why we have customized our services. These are the services we will offer as a sandblasting company;
- Wet abrasive blasting
- Bead blasting
- Wheel blasting
- Micro-abrasive blasting
- Automated blasting
- Dry-ice blasting
- Bristle blasting
- Vacuum blasting
- Other related pressure cleaning services
Our Vision Statement
Our Vision is to become the number one sandblasting company in the whole of Los Angeles – California with active presence in major cities in the United States of America and Canada.
- Our Mission Statement
Our mission as a sandblasting company is to develop a highly successful, profitable all round sandblasting business which provides quality services in our community and to become a standard for an ideal sandblasting cum pressure washing business not only in the State of California but also throughout the United States of America.
- Our Business Structure
We are quite aware that the success of any business lies in the foundation on which the business is built on, which is why we have decided to build our sandblasting company on the right business foundation.
As a matter of fact, we are set out to build a sandblasting business that will be a standard in the industry in the United States of America. We want to build a business of dedicated workforce who will ensure that our customers are satisfied and they get value for their money.
We aware that it takes a business with the right employees and structure to achieve all what we have set to achieve, which is why will be putting structures and processes in place that will help us deliver excellent services and run the business on auto pilot.
With the wide range of our service offerings, we are only expected to employ more than is required to run a conventional sandblasting business. Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. will employ professionals and skilled people to occupy the following position;
- Manager (Owner)
- Accountant / Cashier
- Marketing and Sales Executive
- Client Service Executive
- Sandblasting cum Pressure Machine Operators (6)
- Truck/Van Driver
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Creating, communicating, and implementing the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- Responsible for fixing prices and signing business deals and payment of salaries
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
- Responsible for managing the daily activities in the organization
- Ensure that the facility is in tip top shape and conducive enough to welcome customers
- Prepares budget and reports for the organization
- Carrying out induction for new team members
- Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- Regularly hold meetings with key stakeholders (clients and member of the board) to review the effectiveness of the business Policies, Procedures and Processes
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Oversee the smooth running of the daily activities of organization.
Marketing and Sales Executive
- Identify, prioritize, and reach out to new clients, and business opportunities et al
- Identifies development opportunities; follows up on development leads and contacts
- Writing winning proposal documents, negotiate fees and rates in line with organizations’ policy
- Responsible for handling business research, market surveys and feasibility studies for clients
- Responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- Develop, execute and evaluate new plans for expanding increase sales
- Document all customer contact and information
- Represent Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. in strategic meetings
- Help increase sales and growth for Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc.
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting for the organization
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensuring compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc.
- Serves as internal auditor for Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc.
Client Service Executive
- Welcomes clients and visitors by greeting them in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Ensures that all contacts with clients (e-mail, walk-In center, SMS or phone) provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with clients on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the company’s products and services
- Manages administrative duties assigned by the manager in an effective and timely manner
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on the organizations’ products and, promotional campaigns etc. to ensure accurate and helpful information is supplied to clients when they make enquiries.
Sandblasting cum Pressure Machine Operators (6):
- Responsible for handling sandblasting machines and equipment
- Ensures the efficiency of portable blast equipment, blast cabinet, and blast room
- Maintain a clean working area by sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning of glass doors and windows, etc. if required.
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the manager.
Truck / Van Driver:
- Responsible for transporting equipment, supplies and workers to project site
- Delivers completed cleaning jobs that are movable to clients as requested
- Runs errand for the organization
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the manager.
Sandblasting Business Plan – SWOT Analysis
Sandblasting business is one of the many businesses that can easily generate sales with little stress as long as they are well positioned and equipped to carry out their services. We are building a standard sandblasting business with variety of services which is why we have decided to subject our business idea (company) to SWOT Analysis.
Ordinarily we can successfully run a normal sandblasting business without the stress of writing a detailed business plan, but because of the kind of sandblasting business we want to establish, we don’t have any option other than to follow due process.
We hired the services of Mr. Sam Carrington, an HR and Business consultant with bias in startups to help us conduct SWOT analysis for our company and he did a pretty job for us. Here is a preview of the result we got from the SWOT analysis that was conducted on behalf of Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc.;
Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. is centrally located in a densely populated industrial and residential estate in Los Angeles – California; our location is in fact one of our major strengths. We have a well – equipped facility and we are also one of the very few sandblasting companies in the whole of Los Angeles – California that offers a wide range of services for both households and industries.
Another strength that counts for us is the power of our team; our workforce and management. We have a team of experts in the sandblasting industry, a team of hardworking and dedicated individuals.
Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. is a new business which is owned by an individual (family), and we may not have the financial muscle to sustain the kind of publicity we want to give our business and also to attract some of the high paying clients without first establishing our presence in the industry.
We are centrally located in one of the busiest areas in Los Angeles – California and we are open to all the available opportunities that the city has to offer. Our business concept also positioned us to be a one stop shop in the sandblasting industry.
The truth is that there are no standard and well – equipped sandblasting cum pressure washing business within the area where ours is going to be located; the closest facility to our proposed location is about 6 miles away. In a nutshell, we do not have any direct competition within our target market area.
Some of the threats that are likely going to confront Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. is unfavorable government policies, seasonal fluctuations, demographic/social factors, downturn in the economy which is likely going to affect consumer spending and of course emergence of new competitors within the same location where ours is located.
Sandblasting Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
As it relates to the use of sandblasting, in the US the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) mandates engineered solutions to potential hazards, however silica sand continues to be allowed even though most commonly used blast helmets are not sufficiently effective at protecting the blast operator if ambient levels of dust exceed allowable limits.
Adequate levels of respiratory protection for blast operations in the United States is approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
In the past, when sandblasting was performed as an open-air job, the worker was exposed to risk of injury from the flying material and lung damage from inhaling the dust. The silica dust produced in the sandblasting process would cause silicosis after sustained inhalation of the dust.
But all that has changed in recent time as more safety measures are now put in place. As a matter of fact, you cannot be allowed to operate sandblasting in the United States without meeting the basic safety requirements for such business.
Another common trend in the sandblasting industry is that in the bid to survive global economic meltdown and to ensure steady flow of income to effectively run the business, most sandblasting companies engage in other related services. Some of them even go as far as establishing other related industrial cleaning services simply because they all fall within same line of business.
- Our Target Market
Before choosing a location for our sandblasting business, we conducted our feasibility studies and market survey and we were able to identify those who will benefit greatly from our service offerings. Below is a list of the people and organizations that our sandblasting services is designed for;
- Boat, ship and ferry operators
- Art studios and artists
- Facility and Estate managers
- Cemetery operators
- Hotels and Motels
- Residential areas
- Religious Centers
- Construction companies
Our Competitive Advantage
The possibility of sandblasting businesses springing up in the location where ours is located can’t be ruled out. We aware of this which is why we decided to come up with a business concept that will position us to become the leader in Los Angeles – California.
Our competitive edge is that we are a well – equipped sandblasting cum pressure washing business that has loads of complimentary business offerings that can easily assist us in attracting both corporate and individual customers within the radius of our business operation.
We can confidently say that the location of our sandblasting business will definitely count as a positive for us amongst any competitor that might start a sandblasting business or any other related cleaning business in same location where ours is located.
Lastly, all our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the industry. It will enable them to be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our business aims and objectives.
Sandblasting Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
The marketing strategy for Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. is going to be driven basically by excellent customers service and quality service delivery. We will ensure that we build a loyal customer base. We want to drive sales via the output of our jobs and via referral from our satisfied customers. We are quite aware of how satisfied customers drive business growth especially sandblasting cum pressure washing and industrial cleaning related services.
Our sales and marketing team will be recruited based on their vast experience in the industry and they will be trained on a regular basis so as to be well equipped to meet their targets and the overall goal of Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. is set to make use of the following marketing and sales strategies to attract clients;
- Introduce our business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to corporate organizations, industries, households and key stake holders in and around Los Angeles – California.
- Print out fliers and business cards and strategically drop them in offices, libraries, public facilities and train stations et al.
- Use friends and family to spread word about our business
- Post information about our sandblasting services company and the services we offer on bulletin boards in places like schools, libraries, and local coffee shops et al
- Place a small or classified advertisement in the newspaper, or local publication about our sandblasting company and the services we offer
- Leverage on referral networks such as agencies that will attract clients who would need our customized services
- Advertise our sandblasting services company in relevant magazines, newspapers, TV and radio stations.
- Attend relevant expos, seminars, and business fairs et al to market our services
- Engage in direct marketing approach
- Encourage the use of word of mouth marketing from loyal and satisfied students
- Join local chambers of commerce and industry to market our services.
Sources of Income
Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. is established with the aim of maximizing profits in the sandblasting industry and we are going to go all the way out to ensure that we do all it takes to attract clients on a regular basis. Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. will generate income by offering the following services;
- Wet abrasive blasting
- Bead blasting
- Wheel blasting
- Micro-abrasive blasting
- Automated blasting
- Dry-ice blasting
- Bristle blasting
- Vacuum blasting
- Other related industrial cleaning services
We are well positioned to take on the available market in Los Angeles – California and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough income/profits from the first six months of operation and grow our sandblasting business and our clientele base.
We have been able to examine the sandblasting cum pressure washing industry, we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast. Below is the sales projection for Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc., it is based on the location of our business and of course the wide range of related industrial services that we will be offering;
- First Fiscal Year: $200,000
- Second Fiscal Year: $450,000
- Third Fiscal Year: $750,000
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the sandblasting cum pressure washing industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor offering same services as we do within same location. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
Our Pricing Strategy
Our pricing system is going to be based on what is obtainable in the sandblasting cum industry, we don’t intend to charge more (except for premium and customized services) and we don’t intend to charge less than our competitors. Be that as it may, we have put plans in place to offer discount services once in a while and also to reward our loyal customers especially when they refer clients to us.
- Payment Options
At Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc., the payment policy adopted will adopt will be all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. will make available to her clients;
- Payment via bank transfer
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards / Point of Sale Machines (POS Machines)
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our clients make payment for services rendered without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials.
Sandblasting Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. is set to create a standard for the sandblasting business in Los Angeles – California and throughout the United States which is why we will adopt and apply international best practices to promote our business.
Good enough there is no hard and fast rule on how to advertise or promote a sandblasting business. The challenge is that most sandblasting cum pressure washing companies do not have the required money to pump into publicity and advertising. Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc.;
- Encourage our loyal customers to help us use Word of Mouth mode of advertisement (referrals)
- Advertise our sandblasting cum pressure washing business in relevant magazines, local newspaper, local TV and local radio stations
- Promote our business online via our official website
- List our business on local directories (yellow pages)
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, twitter, et al to promote our brand
- Install our Billboards in strategic locations all around Los Angeles
- Direct coupon mailing approach
- Engage in roadshows from time to time in target communities in Los Angeles
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
Startup Expenditure (Budget)
We have been able to pull cash that will be enough for us to successfully launch a standard sandblasting company in Los Angeles – California, US. These are the key areas where we will spend our startup capital on;
- The total fee for registering the business in Los Angeles – California – $750.
- The legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits – $1,500.
- Marketing promotion expenses (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of $3,580.
- The cost for hiring Business Consultant – $2,000.
- Insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $3,800.
- The cost of accounting software, CRM software and Payroll Software – $1,200
- The cost for leasing facility for the car wash – $20,000.
- The cost for facility remodeling – $5,000.
- Other start-up expenses including stationery – $1000)
- Phone and utility deposits – ($3,500).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $20,000
- The cost for the purchase of portable blasting equipment, mobile dry abrasive blast systems, blast cabinet, siphon blast system (suction blast system), blast room, dust collection system, a material recycling or media reclamation system to collect abrasive blasting media, automated mechanical or pneumatic systems, overhead cranes for maneuvering the workpiece, wall-mounted units with multiple axes that allow the operator to reach all sides of the workpiece, and sound-dampening materials used to reduce noise levels – $20,000
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, tables and chairs et al): $4,000.
- The cost of launching a website: $600
- Miscellaneous: $5,000
We would need an estimate of $95,000 (Ninety Five Thousand Dollars) to successfully launch our sandblasting business in Los Angeles – California, US.
Generating Funds/Startup for Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc.
Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. will be owned and managed by Ed Graham and his immediate family members. They decided to restrict the sourcing of startup capital for the business to just three major sources.
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings and sale of his stocks
- Generate part of the startup capital from friends and other extended family members
- Generate a larger chunk of the startup capital from the bank (loan facility).
N.B: We have been able to generate about $25,000 (Personal savings $20,000 and soft loan from family members $5,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $70,000 from our bank. All the papers and documents have been duly signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited.
Sandblasting Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Part of the plans we have in place to sustain and expand Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. is to ensure that we continue to deliver quality services, and improvise on how to do things faster and cheaper. We are not going to relent in providing a conducive environment for our workers and also the required trainings that will help them deliver excellent services at all times.
Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and re – training of our workforce is at the top burner. As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of three years or more.
From our findings, another factor that kills a new business is financial leakage. In order to plug financial leakages, the management of Ed Graham® Sandblasting, Inc. will adopt the use of payment machine and accounting software to run the business.
We are quite aware that our customers are the key component to the growth and survival of our business hence we are going to continuously engage them to give us ideas on how to serve them better. We will not waste time in adopting new technology, international best practices and diversifying our services once the need arises.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Acquiring facility and remodeling the facility: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed sandblasting, pressure washing machines, industrial cleaning equipment, electronic appliances, office appliances, etc: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: Completed
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and in the neighborhood: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – suppliers of all our needed cleaning accessories and supplies et al: In Progress
Latest posts by Ajaero Tony Martins (see all)
- A Sample Music Venue Business Plan Template - February 2, 2020
- A Sample Indoor Shrimp Farming Business Plan Template - February 2, 2020
- How Long You Have to Buy Insurance After Buying a Used Car - January 29, 2020