A sealcoating business is a type of company that specializes in the application of sealcoating, which is a protective coating applied to asphalt surfaces.
The primary purpose of sealcoating is to extend the lifespan of asphalt pavement by providing a protective layer that shields it from the damaging effects of weather, oxidation, ultraviolet (UV) rays, and traffic wear. By offering sealcoating services, a business can help property owners maintain their asphalt surfaces and protect their investments.
The process involves a thorough cleaning of the pavement, repairing any cracks or potholes, and then applying the sealcoating material.
It is usually recommended to sealcoat asphalt surfaces every few years to ensure optimal protection and prolong their lifespan. Sealcoating businesses may also offer additional services related to asphalt maintenance, such as crack filling, line striping, asphalt repairs, and pavement marking.
These services complement the sealcoating process and provide a comprehensive solution for maintaining and preserving asphalt surfaces.
Steps on How to Write a Sealcoating Business Plan
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC, is a premier asphalt maintenance company based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and its surrounding areas have a substantial demand for professional sealcoating services.
With a growing population, an increasing number of residential developments, commercial establishments, and road infrastructure, our company is well-positioned to capitalize on this market opportunity. Our dedicated professionals possess extensive expertise in sealcoating and asphalt maintenance, ensuring efficient and reliable service.
a. Our Products and Services
We offer a comprehensive range of services to meet the diverse needs of our clients:
- Sealcoating: We utilize top-quality sealcoating materials to protect asphalt surfaces from the weather, UV rays, and traffic wear.
- Crack Filling: Our skilled technicians efficiently repair cracks to prevent water infiltration to the pavement.
- Line Striping: We provide precise line striping services for parking lots, roads, and other asphalt surfaces, ensuring safety and compliance.
- Asphalt Repairs: Our team is capable of handling various asphalt repairs, including pothole filling, surface patching, and more.
b. Nature of the Business
Our sealcoating service company will operate the business-to-consumer business model and also a partnership business (partnership business model). We will work with investors and major players in the construction and real estate market.
c. The Industry
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. will operate in the construction industry, specifically within the sector of asphalt maintenance and pavement services.
d. Mission Statement
At Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC, our mission is to be the leading provider of top-quality sealcoating services, protecting and preserving asphalt surfaces for our valued residential, commercial, and municipal clients. We are committed to delivering exceptional results through our expertise, dedication to customer satisfaction, and use of premium materials.
e. Vision Statement
Our vision at Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC is to set the industry standard for excellence in sealcoating services. We aspire to be recognized as the go-to provider for asphalt maintenance in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and beyond.
f. Our Tagline (Slogan)
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. – “Protecting Asphalt. Preserving Value.”
g. Legal Structure of the Business (LLC, C Corp, S Corp, LLP)
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. will be formed as a Limited Liability Company (LLC).
h. Our Organizational Structure
- Chief Executive Officer (President)
- Project Manager
- Sales and Marketing Officer
- Sealcoating Technicians
i. Ownership/Shareholder Structure and Board Members
- Blake Bradley (Owner and Chairman/Chief Executive Officer) 56 Percent Shares
- Brooke Nathan (Board Member) 14 Percent Shares
- Larry Excel (Board Member) 10 Percent Shares
- Paul Benjamin (Board Member) 10 Percent Shares
- Brittany Tucson (Board Member and Sectary) 10 Percent Shares.
- Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC has a team of skilled professionals with extensive knowledge and experience in sealcoating and asphalt maintenance.
- The company is committed to delivering superior-quality sealcoating services by using premium materials and adhering to industry best practices.
- The company prioritizes customer satisfaction and strives to exceed expectations through open communication, prompt response, and attention to detail.
- In addition to sealcoating, the company offers a range of related services, such as crack filling, line striping, and asphalt repairs, providing a comprehensive solution for clients’ asphalt maintenance needs.
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and its surrounding areas offer a significant market opportunity for professional sealcoating services due to the growing population, residential developments, commercial establishments, and road infrastructure.
- As a local company, Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC may have limited geographic coverage, potentially missing out on opportunities in other regions.
- The sealcoating business can be influenced by seasonal fluctuations, with demand being higher during certain times of the year. This may require efficient resource management and planning during off-peak seasons.
- The company can explore opportunities to expand its operations and target new markets beyond its current geographic location.
- Building strategic partnerships with property management companies, construction firms, or local municipalities can provide access to a broader customer base and collaborative opportunities.
- The growing need for asphalt maintenance, driven by infrastructure development and urbanization, presents an opportunity for the company to capture a larger market share.
i. How Big is the Industry?
The sealcoating industry is a big industry and this can be attributed to the fact that it belongs to the construction industry.
ii. Is the Industry Growing or Declining?
Yes, the sealcoating industry is a growing industry and available statistics show that the global sealcoating market was valued at $2.2 billion in 2021 and is projected to reach $3.7 billion by 2031, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.3 percent from 2022 to 2031.
iii. What are the Future Trends in the Industry?
The sealcoating industry is subject to various trends and advancements that shape its future. There is an increasing focus on environmentally friendly sealcoating materials that minimize the impact on the ecosystem. Future trends include the development and adoption of eco-friendly sealants with lower VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) content and sustainable sourcing of raw materials.
The integration of smart technologies into sealcoating and pavement maintenance is an emerging trend. This includes incorporating sensors to monitor pavement conditions, real-time data collection for proactive maintenance, and the use of self-healing materials to repair minor damages.
Sustainability will continue to be a significant trend in the sealcoating industry. This includes recycling and reusing materials, reducing waste generation, and adopting sustainable practices throughout the entire sealcoating process.
iv. Are There Existing Niches in the Industry?
No, there are no existing niche ideas when it comes to sealcoating services business. This is so because the sealcoating services line of business is a subset or a niche idea in the construction industry.
v. Can You Sell a Franchise of Your Business in the Future?
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. has plans to sell franchises in the nearest future and we will target major cities with thriving construction and real estate market in the United States of America.
- The sealcoating industry may have competition from other local or regional companies offering similar services. Competitors with established market presence and customer relationships could pose a threat.
- Economic downturns or fluctuations in construction and maintenance budgets may impact the demand for sealcoating services.
- Compliance with regulations related to environmental protection, waste disposal, and product safety can pose challenges to the company’s operations.
i. Who are the Major Competitors?
- American Sealcoating & Maintenance
- Jet-Black® Sealcoating
- B&E Sealcoating Products
- GemSeal Pavement Products
- Neyra Industries
- Asphalt Care Services
- Sure-Seal Pavement Maintenance Inc.
- Big Joe’s Sealcoating
- Elite Sealcoating
- A1 Pavement Maintenance
- Advanced Asphalt
- D&H Asphalt Co.
- LDC Paving
- Jet Black Asphalt Sealcoating
- Cactus Asphalt
- EastCoat Pavement Services
- Central Florida Sealcoating
- Premier Pavement Solutions.
ii. Is There a Franchise for Sealcoating Service Business?
Yes, there are franchise opportunities for sealcoating service business, and here are some of them:
- Jet-Black® Sealcoating
- Driveway Doctor
- American Asphalt Sealcoating
- NAC Supply
- B&E Sealcoating Products
- Top Job Asphalt
- Jet Black of Southern New Jersey
- Sure Seal.
iii. Are There Policies, Regulations, or Zoning Laws Affecting Sealcoating Business?
Yes, there are policies, regulations, and zoning laws that can affect the operation of a sealcoating service business in the United States.
However, it’s important to note that specific regulations and requirements may vary depending on the state, county, and local jurisdiction where the business operates. Sealcoating products may contain chemicals that are subject to environmental regulations.
These regulations can include guidelines for proper storage, handling, disposal, and application of sealcoating materials to minimize environmental impact. Sealcoating activities can generate runoff that may contain pollutants.
Some areas have regulations governing the management of stormwater runoff, including requirements for containment and proper disposal of runoff to prevent contamination of water sources. So also in some states, sealcoating businesses may need to comply with zoning restrictions that determine the permissible location for such operations.
It is essential to understand the local zoning ordinances and ensure that the business location is compliant with the designated zoning requirements.
a. Who is your Target Audience?
i. Age Range
Our target audience for Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC may primarily fall within the adult age range, typically ranging from 30 to 65 years old. This age range represents property owners, homeowners, business owners, and facility managers who are responsible for the maintenance and preservation of asphalt surfaces.
ii. Level of Education
The level of education of our target audience may vary, but generally, it can encompass a wide range of educational backgrounds. It may include individuals with a high school diploma or equivalent, as well as those with higher education degrees.
iii. Income Level
Our target audience’s income level can vary, but it typically includes individuals or households with middle to upper-middle income levels. These are individuals or businesses that have the financial capacity to invest in asphalt maintenance services like sealcoating.
The target audience for sealcoating services is diverse and not limited to any specific ethnicity. It can include individuals from various ethnic backgrounds, as asphalt maintenance is required across different communities and demographics.
Our target audience is primarily English-speaking, as English is the predominant language in the United States. However, depending on the specific geographical location and demographics, there may be a need for multilingual communication to cater to non-English speakers.
vi. Geographical Location
The primary geographical location for Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Therefore, our target audience will primarily consist of residential, commercial, and municipal clients in and around the Baton Rouge area.
Our target audience’s lifestyle can vary, but it generally includes property owners, homeowners, businesses, and organizations that value the appearance, functionality, and longevity of their asphalt surfaces.
b. Advertising and Promotion Strategies
- Host Themed Events That Catch Attention.
- Tap Into Text Marketing.
- Make Use of Bill Boards.
- Share Your Events in Local Groups and Pages.
- Turn Your Social Media Channels into a Resource
- Develop Your Business Directory Profiles
- Build Relationships with players in the real estate and construction industry.
i. Traditional Marketing Strategies
- Marketing through Direct Mail.
- Print Media Marketing – Newspapers & Magazines.
- Broadcast Marketing -Television & Radio Channels.
- OOH Marketing – Public Transit like Buses and Trains, Billboards, Street shows, and Cabs.
- Leverage direct sales, direct mail (postcards, brochures, letters, fliers), tradeshows, print advertising (magazines, newspapers, coupon books, billboards), referral (also known as word-of-mouth marketing), radio, and television.
ii. Digital Marketing Strategies
- Social Media Marketing Platforms.
- Influencer Marketing.
- Email Marketing.
- Content Marketing.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Marketing.
- Affiliate Marketing
- Mobile Marketing.
iii. Social Media Marketing Plan
- Start using chatbots.
- Create a personalized experience for our customers.
- Create an efficient content marketing strategy.
- Create a community for our target market and potential target market.
- Gear up our profiles with a diverse content strategy.
- Use brand advocates.
- Create profiles on relevant social media channels.
- Run cross-channel campaigns.
c. Pricing Strategy
When working out our pricing strategy, Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. will make sure it covers profits, insurance, premium, license, and economy or value and full package for each sealcoating service carried out, In all our pricing strategy will reflect;
- Penetration Pricing
- Cost-Based Pricing
- Value-Based Pricing
- Competition-Based Pricing.
Sales and Distribution Plan
a. Sales Channels
Our channel sales strategy will involve using partners and third parties—such as referral partners, affiliate partners, strategic alliances in the real estate and construction industry, and freelancers to help refer clients to us.
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC will build partnerships with related businesses, such as property management companies, construction firms, or landscaping companies, which can create referral networks and collaborative opportunities.
Attending industry events, joining local business associations, and participating in networking activities can help establish connections and generate leads.
b. Inventory Strategy
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC will develop strong relationships with reliable suppliers and manufacturers of sealcoating materials. This includes evaluating suppliers based on factors like product quality, pricing, lead times, and customer service.
We will implement a Just-in-Time (JIT) inventory strategy which will help minimize storage costs and reduce the risk of obsolete inventory.
While implementing a JIT strategy, Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC will maintain a safety stock of essential sealcoating materials and supplies. This acts as a buffer to address unexpected fluctuations in demand, supplier delays, or other unforeseen circumstances.
c. Payment Options for Customers
- Bank Transfers
- Credit or Debit Card
- Electronic Payment Systems such as PayPal or Venmo.
d. Return Policy, Incentives, and Guarantees
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC, offers sealcoating service hence our service offerings do not accommodate a return policy.
While sealcoating services are typically not eligible for traditional returns like retail products, we have policies for addressing customer concerns and ensuring satisfaction. For example, if a customer is dissatisfied with the final outcome due to an error or issue on our part, we will offer to rework or adjust the polished surface to meet their expectations.
We will offer discounts, credits, or other incentives to customers who refer our services to others. We will offer discounted rates for larger projects or multiple surfaces within a single project. We will implement a loyalty program that rewards repeat customers.
Provide benefits such as discounted rates on future projects, priority scheduling, or additional services at a reduced cost.
e. Customer Support Strategy
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC will implement a customer relationship management (CRM) system to track customer interactions, manage inquiries, and facilitate effective communication. We will provide excellent customer service by addressing customer inquiries, resolving issues promptly, and maintaining positive relationships with clients.
Our operational plan involves developing a system for efficient job scheduling, taking into account factors such as project size, location, customer preferences, and equipment availability. We will implement project management tools and software to track and manage ongoing projects, ensuring timely completion and customer satisfaction.
Implementing an effective operational plan ensures that Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC operates efficiently, delivers high-quality services, and maintains strong customer relationships. Regular monitoring, evaluation, and adaptation are essential for success and long-term growth.
a. What Happens During a Typical Day at a Sealcoating Business?
- The office is open for the day
- Documentation and other administrative works are conducted throughout the day
- Marketers go out in the field to market our sealcoating services
- If there is an ongoing sealcoating project, the required team and machinery are sent to the field to carry out the project.
- The team and machinery return to base (office) after the day’s job
- The report for the day is written and submitted to the required authority
- The office is closed for the day.
b. Production Process
There is no production process when it comes to the sealcoating business.
c. Service Procedure
Develop a system for efficient job scheduling, taking into account factors such as project size, location, customer preferences, and equipment availability.
Implement project management tools and software to track and manage ongoing projects, ensuring timely completion and customer satisfaction. Establish safety protocols and guidelines to ensure a safe working environment for employees and customers during sealcoating operations.
Conduct regular quality checks to maintain high standards of workmanship and ensure customer satisfaction. Comply with industry standards and regulations regarding safety, environmental impact, and product usage.
d. The Supply Chain
The supply chain for Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC involves the flow of materials, products, and services from suppliers to the company and ultimately to customers. These suppliers provide the necessary sealcoating materials such as asphalt sealers, crack fillers, additives, and other related products.
e. Sources of Income
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. will make money from;
- Sealcoating services
- Other related maintenance and repair services.
a. Amount Needed to Start Your Sealcoating Service Company?
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. would need an estimate of $150,000 to successfully set up our sealcoating service company in the United States of America. Please note that this amount includes the salaries of all our staff for the first month of operation.
b. What are the Costs Involved?
- Business Registration Fees – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits – $7,300.
- Marketing, Branding, and Promotions – $5,000.
- Business Consultant Fee – $2,500.
- Insurance – $5,400.
- Rent/Lease – $45,000.
- Operational Cost (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $40,000
- Start-up Inventory – $7,500
- Store Equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $4,750
- Equipment and Machines – $40,000
- Website: $600
- Opening party: $3,000
- Miscellaneous: $2,000
c. Do You Need to Build a Facility? If YES, How Much will it cost?
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. will not build a new facility for our sealcoating service company; we intend to start with a long-term lease and after 10 years, we will start the process of acquiring our own facility.
d. What are the Ongoing Expenses for Running a Sealcoating Service Company?
- Labor Costs
- Sealcoating materials such as sealant, crack filler, additives, and marking paint
- Regular maintenance and occasional repair of equipment like sealcoating machines, trucks, trailers, and other tools
- Vehicle Expenses (costs for fuel, insurance, registration, licensing, repairs, and maintenance)
- Marketing and Advertising
- Rent, utilities (electricity, water, internet), office supplies, computers, software licenses, and communication services (phone, email, etc.)
- Licensing and Permits
- Miscellaneous Expenses.
e. What is the Average Salary of your Staff?
- Chief Executive Officer – $55,000 Per Year
- Project Manager – $42,000 Per Year
- Business Developer/Sales and Marketing – $34,000 Per Year
- Accountant – $34,000 Per Year
- Customer Service Executive/Front Desk Officer – $32,000 Per Year
- Seal Coating Technicians – $32,500 Per Year
- Drivers – $30,000 Per Year
f. How Do You Get Funding to Start a Sealcoating Service Company?
- Raising money from personal savings and sale of personal stocks and properties
- Raising money from investors and business partners
- Sell shares to interested investors
- Applying for a loan from your bank/banks
- Pitching your business idea and applying for business grants and seed funding from, the government, donor organizations, and angel investors
- Source for soft loans from your family members and your friends.
a. How Much Should You Charge for Your Product/Service?
Generally, sealcoating companies charge based on the square footage of the area to be sealed. The prices can range from approximately $0.10 to $0.30 per square foot, but it’s important to note that these figures are approximate and can vary significantly.
b. Sales Forecast?
Based on thorough market research and analysis, we anticipate steady growth and profitability for Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. Our projected revenues for the next three years are as follows:
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $450,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): 800,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $1.4 million
c. Estimated Profit You Will Make a Year?
The ideal profit margin we hope to make at Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. will be between 25 and 35 percent on service charges.
d. Profit Margin of a Sealcoating Service Company
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. will collect initial service fees that will range from 60 percent to 70 percent aside from making profits off the total fee charged for any sealcoating services. Please note in planning our sealcoating service project, we will make sure that the bottom line shows a suitable return for the money and effort we put into it as a company.
a. How do you intend to grow and expand? By opening more retail outlets/offices or selling a Franchise?
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. will grow our sealcoating service company by first opening other offices in key cities in the United States of America within the first five years of establishing the business and then will start selling franchises from the sixth year.
b. Where do you intend to expand to and why?
Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. plans to expand to the following cities in the nearest future.
- Denver, Colorado
- Miami, Florida
- Chicago, Illinois
- Houston, Texas
- New York City, New York
- Los Angeles, California
- Dallas, Texas
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Seattle, Washington
- Phoenix, Arizona
The reason we intend to expand to these locations is the fact that available statistics show that the cities listed above have the most thriving construction and real estate market in the United States.
The founder of Blake Bradley® Sealcoating Company, LLC. plans to exit the business via family succession. The company has placed structures and processes in place that will help us achieve our plan of successfully transferring the business from one family member to another and from one generation to another.
The company has successfully developed a detailed transition plan to smoothly hand over responsibilities to the new successor. This includes transferring ownership, training key personnel, and communicating with employees, customers, and suppliers about the change.