Are you about starting a sewing machine repair business? If YES, here is a complete sample sewing machine repair business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE. Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a sewing machine repair business. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample sewing machine repair marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for sewing machine repair companies. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- 2. Executive Summary
- 5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
- 6. SWOT Analysis
- 7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- 13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
Why Start a Sewing Machine Repair Business?
The fact that people and businesses make use of sewing machines for commercial or private purposes on a daily basis means that sewing machines would need to be serviced and repaired when damaged for peak performance. Sewing machine owners hire or visit sewing machine repair centers for different reasons; it could be for routine servicing, major repair works, or for refurbishing their sewing machines. For whatever reasons; sewing machine repair workshops will always translate to money for their owners.
In some climes, you would be required to own a license to start a sewing machine repair workshop. If this applies to you, then you have to get all the training and documentations needed so that you can easily get an operating license. If you want to operate a corporate sewing machine repair workshop, then you must get it registered with the corporate affairs department of your state or country.
So, if you have decided to open a sewing machine repair workshop, then you should ensure that you carry out feasibility studies and also market survey. This will enable you properly locate the business in a location with people who own all sorts of industrial and normal sewing machines and then hit the ground running. Business plan is yet another very important business document that you should not take for granted when launching your own business.
Below is a sample sewing machine repair services workshop business plan template that can help you to successfully write your own with little or no difficulty.
A Sample Sewing Machine Repair Business Plan Template
1. Industry Overview
Sewing machine repair services business falls under the Appliance Repair Services industry and businesses in this industry are involved in repair and maintenance of sewing machines, home and garden equipment and household-type appliances like lawn mowers, edgers, snow- and leaf-blowers, washing machines, clothes dryers and refrigerators.
It is important to state that players in this industry do not retail new equipment or appliances and the industry does not include businesses that are involved in automotive repairs or electronic and computer repair services. Industry services are provided to both businesses and households.
Those that are involved in sewing machine repair services are known to repair all types of sewing machines from different manufacturers since the technology in sewing machines are pretty much similar. Home sewing machines are designed for one person to sew individual items while using a single stitch type.
In a modern sewing machine, the fabric easily glides in and out of the machine without the inconvenience of needles and thimbles and other such tools used in hand sewing, automating the process of stitching and saving time. Industrial sewing machines are larger, faster, and more varied in their size, cost, appearance, and task.
A recent report published by IBISWorld shows that appliance repair services are expected to account for the majority of industry revenue at 63.8 percent in 2017. This segment includes the repair of items such as refrigerators, stoves, washing machines and clothes dryers. This segment’s share of revenue has fluctuated between 2012 and 2017.
In 2012, demand for consumer appliance repairs increased as personal disposable income levels remained low. Consumers on tight budgets choose to repair their appliances rather than purchase new ones. As disposable income increases and prices of appliances decrease however, consumers are more likely to purchase a new appliance, rather than repair an old one.
The Appliance Repair Services industry is indeed a large industry and pretty much active in most countries of the world. Statistics has it that in the united states of America alone, there are about 58,193 registered and licensed sewing machine repair companies scattered all across the United States responsible for employing about 71,889 people and the industry rakes in a whooping sum of $4 billion annually.
The industry is projected to enjoy 0.4 percent annual growth within 2012 and 2017. It is important to state that Best Buy and Sears Holdings have the lion share of the available market in this industry.
The sewing machine repair services line of business is very open to any aspiring entrepreneur who has the technical capacity to open and run the business. Just ensure that you have all the required permits and license to operate a sewing machine repair workshop.
2. Executive Summary
Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company is a family business that is registered in the United States of America and will be located in Columbia – South Carolina. We have been able to secure a standard facility in an ideal location highly suitable for the kind of repair business that we want to build.
Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company will provides numerous services to garment making factories, tailors and clothing alteration businesses, including repair and servicing of boilers, presses, irons, conveyors etc.
Our workers are going to be selected from a pool of highly experienced sewing machine repair technicians in and around Columbia – South Carolina and also from any part of the United States of America as the business grows. We will make sure that we take all our workers through the required training that will position them to meet the expectation of the company and to compete with leading sewing machine repair workshops in the United States.
We operate with the philosophy of accountability and client dedication to all our customers. Our celebrated history of helping businesses within the garment making, tailoring, fashion designing and alterations industry gives us the experience our clients need.
At Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company, our client’s best interest will always come first, and everything we do will be guided by our values and professional ethics. We will ensure that we hold ourselves accountable to the highest standards by meeting our client’s needs precisely and completely.
Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company is a family business that is founded by Alexander Belmont and his immediate family members. Alexander Belmont can boast of having the required experience to build and manage a sewing machine repair company that can compete with leaders in the industry.
3. Our Products and Services
Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company is established with the aim of maximizing profits in the sewing machine repair line of business. We want to compete favorably with the leading sewing machine repair services in the United States which is why we have put in place a competent quality assurance team that will ensure that every repair and maintenance job carried out meet and even surpass our customers’ expectations.
We will work hard to ensure that Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company is not just accepted in Columbia – South Carolina but also in other cities in the United States of America where we intend opening our sewing machine repair workshops.
Aside from repairing and servicing mechanical sewing machine, electronic sewing machine, computerized or automated sewing machine, embroidery machine and overlock sewing machine or serger, we will also offer repair, maintenance services and supplies of steam equipment, air vacuum, finishing equipment, vacuum and spotting boards, steam irons, industrial sewing machines. Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company excels in providing a wide range of parts and supplies to keep tailoring operations running seamlessly. We make ordering simple and cost efficient for our clients.
4. Our Mission and Vision Statement
- Our vision is to establish a standard sewing machine repair shop whose services and brand will not only be accepted in Columbia – South Carolina but also in other cities in the United States of America.
- Our mission is to provide professional sewing machine repair, maintenance services and other related services that will assist businesses, individuals, and households that own different types of sewing machines in ensuring that their sewing machines are always in good shape and working as expected. We want to build a sewing machine repair company that can favorably compete with other leading brands in the sewing machines maintenance and repair industry.
Our Business Structure
Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company is a sewing machine repair and maintenance company that intends starting small in Columbia – South Carolina, but hopes to grow big in order to compete with leading sewing machine repair centers in the industry.
We are aware of the importance of building a solid business structure that can support the picture of the kind of world class business we want to own, which is why we are committed to only hire the best hands.
At Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company, we will ensure that we hire people that are qualified, hardworking, creative, customer centric and are ready to work to help us build a prosperous business that will benefit all the stake holders.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our senior management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of five years or more as agreed by the board of trustees of the company. In view of the above, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Executive Officer
- Workshop Supervisor
- Human Resources and Admin Manager
- Sales and Marketing Executive
- Sewing Machine Repair and Maintenance Engineers / Technicians (10)
- Client Service Executive
5. Job Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – CEO:
- Increases management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives; developing a climate for offering information and opinions.
- Creates, communicates, and implements the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
- In charge of fixing prices and signing business deals
- Responsible for providing direction for the business
- Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
- Evaluates the success of the organization
- Reports to the board
Sewing Machine Repair Workshop Supervisor:
- Serves as project manager of the organization; works directly with employees
- Builds company image by collaborating with customers, government, community organizations, and employees; enforcing ethical business practices.
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
- Makes certain that the sewing machine repair and maintenance department perform efficiently, coordinates employee efforts, and facilitate communications between management and sewing machine repair and maintenance technicians
- Ensures that the organization work in line with international best practices in the sewing machine repair services line of business.
Human Resources and Admin Manager
- Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of HR and administrative tasks for the organization
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Defining job positions for recruitment and managing interviewing process
- Carries out induction of new team members
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- Responsible for arranging travel, meetings and appointments
- Oversees the smooth running of the daily office activities.
Sales and Marketing Manager
- Models demographic information and analyze the volumes of transactional data generated by customer
- Writes winning proposal documents, negotiate fees and rates in line with organizations’ policy
- Responsible for handling business research, market surveys and feasibility studies for clients
- Responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- Develops, executes and evaluates new plans for expanding sales
- Creates new markets cum businesses for the organization
- Empowers and motivates the sales team to meet and surpass agreed targets
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization.
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensuring compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the organization
- Serves as internal auditor for the organization
Sewing Machine Repair and Maintenance Technicians (8)
- Repairs and replacing mechanical sewing machine, electronic sewing machine, computerized or automated sewing machine, embroidery machine and overlock sewing machine or serger engines and parts (body shell replacement, motor replacement)
- Performs general sewing machine repairs
- Carries out scheduled and preventative repair and maintenance services
- Sale of sewing machines spare parts and accessories
- Handles other repair and maintenance services
Client Service Executive
- Welcomes clients and potential clients by greeting them in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Ensures that all contacts with clients (e-mail, walk-In center, SMS or phone) provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with clients on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the company’s services
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on the organizations’ products, promotional campaigns etc. to ensure accurate and helpful information is supplied to clients when they make enquiries
6. SWOT Analysis
Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company engaged the services of a professional in the area of business consulting and structuring to assist our organization in building a well – structured sewing machine repair business that can favorably compete in the highly competitive sewing machine maintenance and repair industry in the United States.
Part of what the business consultant did was to work with the management of our organization in conducting a comprehensive SWOT analysis for Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company. Here is a summary from the result of the SWOT analysis that was conducted on behalf of Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company;
Our core strength lies in the power of our workforce. We have a team of highly trained and experienced sewing machine technicians, a team with excellent qualifications and experience in various niche areas in the industry. Aside from the synergy that exists in our carefully selected workforce, our services will be guided by best practices in the industry.
As a new sewing machine repair and maintenance garage in Columbia – South Carolina, it might take some time for our company to break into the market and gain acceptance especially from top profile clients in the already saturated and highly competitive industry; that is perhaps our major weakness. Another weakness is that we may not have the required cash to pump into promoting our business the way we would want to.
The truth is that the opportunities available to those that are operating in the sewing machine maintenance and repair industry is massive considering the number of individuals and companies who own and make use of different types of sewing machines in the United States. As a sewing machine repair and maintenance company, we are ready to take advantage of any opportunity that is available in the industry.
Come to think of it, the falling home ownership rate has reduced the industry’s potential market, the industry’s overall contribution to the economy is diminishing and of course the rate of technological change that is expected to increase over the next five years is going to pose as a threat to our business.
We also not ignoring the fact that one of the major threats that we are likely going to face is economic downturn. Another threat that may likely confront us is the arrival of a new sewing machine repair and maintenance company in same location where our target market exists and who may want to adopt same Business model like us.
7. MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
One good thing about the appliance repair services industry cum sewing machine repair line of business is that it is an open industry hence a low level of market share concentration. Even though large sewing machine companies operate in the industry, but revenue is also spread among thousands of small / freelance sewing machine repair businesses and even mobile sewing machine repair businesses.
As a matter of fact, no single sewing machine repair shop can account for more than 5.0 percent of the total revenue generated in the industry. This is the reason why smaller sewing machine repair shops accounts for a large percentage of the players in the industry.
It is a known trend to find steady growth in the sewing machine repair line of business, as the Appliance Repair Services industry has grown steadily over the last five years in the United States of America and it is projected to continue to enjoy steady growth.
Individuals and businesses have increased demand for sewing machine repair services, as rising per capita disposable income and corporate profit encourage consumers to opt for sewing machine repair and maintenance services over do-it-yourself repair. Going forward, disposable income levels are expected to continue to grow, encouraging some consumers to spend more on the maintenance and repair of their sewing machines.
Lastly, it is now becoming trendy to find sewing machine engineers and technicians who do not have the required finance to rent a shop opt for going mobile.
8. Our Target Market
Before starting our sewing machine repair and maintenance company in Columbia – South Carolina, we conducted a market survey and feasibility studies and we are certain that there is a wide range of clients who would need our services.
In view of that, we have created strategies that will enable us reach out to various businesses and households who we know can’t do without our services. Below is a list of the people and organizations that we have specifically marketed our sewing machine repair services to;
- Households that own sewing machines
- Fashion designers
- Clothes manufacturing companies
- Garment and uniform making factories
Top on our list when it comes the competitive advantages we are bringing to the market are our ability to allocate product/service to area of greatest need, having a good reputation and of course access to highly skilled workforce.
We know that surviving in the business world as a sewing machine repair and maintenance company requires more than expertise, knowing how to deliver standard repairs and maintenance jobs but also how to network with key people that matters and decision makers.
We know that there are loads of big time investors that have a stake in the sewing machine maintenance and repair industry; but one thing is certain; there is room big enough to accommodate both the big sewing machine repair company and the small one as well.
What smaller sewing machine repair companies need to do to survive in the industry is to concentrate on providing their services to individuals and cottage companies that make use of sewing machines before bidding for big sewing machine repair contracts from large garment making factories.
Lastly, all our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the industry. It will enable them to be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our business aims and objectives.
9. SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company is established with the aim of maximizing profits in the sewing machine repair, maintenance and servicing industry and we are going to go all the way to ensure that we do all it takes to meet and surpass the expectations of all our clients.
Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company will generate income by offering the following maintenance, servicing and repair related services;
- Repairing and replacing mechanical sewing machine, electronic sewing machine, computerized or automated sewing machine, embroidery machine and overlock sewing machine or serger engines and parts (body shell replacement, motor replacement)
- Performing general sewing machine repairs
- Carry out scheduled and preventative repair and maintenance services
- Sale of sewing machines spare parts and accessories
- Other related repair and maintenance services
10. Sales Forecast
When it comes to sewing machine repair services, you can’t rule out the fact that there would always be owners of sewing machines who would need to take their machines for routine maintenance and servicing or for outright repairs.
We are well positioned to take on the available market in the industry and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough profits from our first six months of operation and grow our sewing machine maintenance and repair company to enviable heights.
We have been able to critically examine the sewing machine maintenance, servicing and repair market and we have analyzed our chances in the industry and we have been able to come up with the following sales forecast. The sales projection is based on information gathered on the field and some assumptions that are peculiar to similar startups in Columbia – South Carolina.
- First Year: $250,000
- Second Year: $450,000
- Third Year: $750,000
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor offering same sewing repair services as we do within same location. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
We are mindful of the fact that there is growing competition in the sewing machine maintenance, servicing and repair industry, hence we have been able to hire some of the best marketing experts to handle our sales and marketing.
Our sales and marketing team will be recruited based on their vast experience in the industry and they will be trained on a regular basis so as to be well equipped to meet their targets and the overall business goal of Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company.
Our corporate goal is to grow Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company to become one of the top 10 sewing machine maintenance, servicing and repair brands in the United States of America which is why we have mapped out strategies that will help us take advantage of the available market and grow to become a major force to reckon with not only in Columbia – South Carolina but also in other cities in the United States of America where we intend opening our sewing machine repair centers.
Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company is set to make use of the following marketing and sales strategies to attract clients;
- Introduce our sewing machine maintenance, servicing and repair company by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to Households who own sewing machines, Fashion designers, Tailors, Clothes manufacturing companies, Garment and uniform making factories and other key stake holders in and around Columbia – South Carolina
- Promptness in bidding for industrial sewing machines repair, servicing and maintenance contracts
- Advertise our business in relevant business sewing machines/magazines, newspapers, TV and radio stations.
- List our business on yellow page ads (local directories)
- Attend relevant international and local expos, seminars, and business fairs et al
- Create different packages for different category of clients in order to work with their budgets and still deliver excellent services
- Leverage on the internet to promote our business
- Engage direct marketing approach
- Encourage word of mouth marketing from loyal and satisfied clients
11. Publicity and Advertising Strategy
We have been able to work with our brand and publicity consultants to help us map out publicity and advertising strategies that will help us walk our way into the heart of our target market. We are set to become the number one choice for clients in the whole of Columbia – South Carolina and other cities in the United States of America where we intend opening our sewing machine repair workshop which is why we have made provisions for effective publicity and advertisement of our company.
Below are the platforms we intend to leverage on to promote and advertise Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company;
- Place adverts on both print (newspapers and magazines) and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community based events / programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, twitter, YouTube, Google + et al to promote our services
- Install our billboards in strategic locations all around Columbia – South Carolina
- Engage in roadshows from time to time in targeted neighborhoods
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
- List our sewing machine repair, servicing and maintenance business in local directories / yellow pages
- Advertise our sewing machine repair, servicing and maintenance business in our official website and employ strategies that will help us pull traffic to the site.
- Ensure that all our staff members wear our branded shirts and all our vehicles are well branded with our company logo
12. Our Pricing Strategy
At Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company we will keep the prices of our services below the average market rate for all of our customers by keeping our overhead low and by collecting payment in advance from big companies who would steadily bring in their sewing machines for routine servicing, maintenance and repairs. In addition, we will also offer special discounted rates to all our customers at regular intervals.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company will make available to her clients;
- Payment with cash
- Payment via Point of Sale Machine (POS)
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our client make payment for our services without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials.
13. Startup Expenditure (Budget)
In setting up any business, the amount or cost will depend on the approach and scale you want to undertake. If you intend to go big by renting a place, then you would need a good amount of capital as you would need to ensure that your employees are well taken care of, and that your facility is conducive enough for workers to be creative and productive.
The tools and equipment that will be used are nearly the same cost everywhere, and any difference in prices would be minimal and can be overlooked. However, this is what it would cost us to set up Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company;
- Business incorporating fees in the United States of America will cost – $750.
- The budget for Liability insurance, permits and license will cost – $3,500
- Acquiring a workshop facility for at least 6 months (Re – Construction of the facility inclusive) will cost – $100,000.
- The amount required to purchase the needed repair equipment – $25,000
- Equipping the office (computers, printers, projectors, markers, internet facility, furniture, telephones, filing cabinets, and electronics) will cost – $30,000
- Amount required to purchase the needed software applications to run our business – $3,500
- Launching an official Website will cost – $500
- The amount need to pay bills and staff members for at least 2 to 3 months – $70,000
- Additional Expenditure such as Business cards, Signage, Adverts and Promotions will cost – $5,000
Going by the report from the market research and feasibility studies conducted, we will need about two hundred thousand (200,000) U.S. dollars to successfully set up a medium scale but standard sewing machine repair, maintenance and servicing garage in the United States of America.
Generating Startup Capital for Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company
Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company is a registered business that will be owned and managed by Alexander Belmont and his immediate family members. They are the sole financiers of the business which is why they decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital for the business to just three major sources.
These are the areas we intend generating our startup capital;
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings and sale of his stocks
- Generate part of the startup capital from friends and other extended family members
- Generate a larger chunk of the startup capital from the bank (loan facility).
N.B: We have been able to generate about $50,000 (Personal savings $40,000 and soft loan from family members $10,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $100,000 from our bank. All the papers and documents have been duly signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited.
14. Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
One of our major goals of starting Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running.
We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to offer our sewing machine maintenance, servicing and repair services a little bit cheaper than what is obtainable in the market and we are prepared to survive on lower profit margin for a while.
Alexander Belmont® Sewing Machine Repair Company will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our company’s corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and retraining of our workforce is at the top burner.
We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Incorporation: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts various banks in the United States: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Securing a standard office facility for our workshop: Completed
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating part of the startup capital from the founders: Completed
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents: In Progress
- Design of Logo for the business: Completed
- Purchase of sewing machine repair and servicing tools and equipment: Completed
- Printing of Promotional Materials: Completed
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed office furniture, office equipment, software applications, electronic appliances and facility facelift: In progress
- Creating Official Website for the business: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors and key players in various industries: In Progress
- How to Choose a Perfect Business Name That Stand Out in 2022 - October 29, 2021
- How to Write a Marketing Plan in 2022 [A Complete Guide] - September 29, 2021
- 75 Great Business ideas for the Future 2025 – 2030 - September 3, 2021