An alkaline water business is a type of business that sells water that has a pH level higher than 7, which is considered to be alkaline. Alkaline water is believed to have various health benefits, including improving hydration, boosting the immune system, and neutralizing acid in the body.
There are different ways to make alkaline water, including adding alkaline minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium to the water or using an ionizer to raise the pH level. An alkaline water business may sell bottled alkaline water or offer alkaline water dispensers for customers to refill their containers. Some businesses may also offer delivery services for their alkaline water products.
The alkaline water business belongs to the bottled water industry, which is a subset of the non-alcoholic beverage industry. Available statistics show that the global non-alcoholic beverages market size was valued at USD 919.13 billion in 2019 and is projected to reach USD 1,257.77 billion by 2027.
Steps on How to Start an Alkaline Water Business
Table of Content
Conduct Market Research
Conducting market research is an essential step when starting an alkaline water business. First, you are expected to determine who your ideal customers are. This may include people who are health-conscious, athletes, or those who are concerned about the quality of their tap water.
Thereafter, you should carry out research on other alkaline water businesses in your area and analyze their pricing, marketing strategies, and product offerings. This will help you understand how you can differentiate your business from the competition.
Conduct surveys and focus groups to gather feedback from potential customers about their interest in alkaline water and what they look for in a product. This will help you understand your target market’s needs and preferences. Lastly, based on your research, you should develop a marketing plan that targets your ideal customers and highlights your unique selling points.
a. Who is the Target Market for Alkaline Water Business?
The target market for the alkaline water business can vary depending on the brand and its positioning. However, generally speaking, the target market for alkaline water is health-conscious individuals who are looking for a healthier alternative to regular tap or bottled water.
This may include people who are interested in the health benefits of alkaline water, such as its ability to neutralize acidity in the body and provide antioxidant properties. Additionally, athletes and fitness enthusiasts may be attracted to alkaline water due to its potential to improve hydration and performance.
b. Is Alkaline water Business a Profitable Business?
Yes, the alkaline water business is considered a profitable business. As a matter of fact, revenue in the Non-Alcoholic Drinks market amounts to US$1.45tn in 2023. The market is expected to grow annually by 4.56% (CAGR 2023-2027).
c. Are There Existing Niches in the Industry?
No, there are no existing niches when it comes to the alkaline water business because the alkaline water business is a subset of the non-alcoholic beverage industry.
d. Who are the Major Competitors?
- Essentia Water
- Flow Alkaline Spring Water
- Alkazone Antioxidant Water
- Evamor Natural Alkaline Artesian Water
- Waiakea Hawaiian Volcanic Water
- TEN Alkaline Spring Water
- Eternal Water
- Voss Artesian Water
- Core Hydration
- Iceland Spring
- JUST Water
- Boxed Water is Better
- Propel Alkaline Water
- Pure Inventions Alkaline Water Drops
- Smartwater Alkaline
- TAJA Coconut Water
- The Alkaline Water Company Inc.
e. Are There County or State Regulations or Zoning Laws for Alkaline Water Businesses in the United States?
A business that involves the bottling or distribution of alkaline water may be subject to regulations related to food safety, labeling, and packaging standards. Additionally, businesses that operate in commercial or industrial areas may need to comply with zoning laws and obtain permits for their facilities.
It is important to research and comply with all applicable regulations and laws before starting an alkaline water business in the United States. This may involve contacting local or state regulatory agencies, obtaining necessary permits and licenses, and ensuring that the business is in compliance with all relevant health and safety standards.
f. Is There a Franchise for Alkaline Water Business?
Yes, there are franchise opportunities for an alkaline water business, and here are some of them;
- AlkaViva Water Ionizers
- Culligan Water
- Watermill Express
- PÜR Company
- Kangen Water
- Primo Water
- Quench USA
- The Alkaline Water Company.
g. What Do You Need to Start an Alkaline Water Business?
- A Feasibility Report
- Business and Marketing Plans
- Business Licenses and Permits
- Production facility
- EIN (Employer Identification Number)/Federal Tax ID Number.
- A Corporate Bank Account
- Equipment, Machines, and Supplies
- Startup and Working Capital
Choose a Memorable Business Name
When looking to start a business, before you can begin to file the necessary documents with the constituted authorities or start your website, it is necessary that you come up with a name that you will be recognized with. It is essential that the name you come up with can easily be pronounced, is unique and easily memorable.
Some of the catchy business name ideas suitable for an alkaline water business are;
Creative Alkaline Water Business Name ideas
- Purple Bottle® Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Green Leaf® Alkaline Water Company, Co.
- New Spring® Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Kenny Smith® Alkaline Water Company, Co.
- Ernie Johnson Jr.® Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Chris Webber® Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Grant Hill® Alkaline Water Company, LLC.
- Steve Smith® Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Isiah Thomas® Alkaline Water Company, LLC
- Greg Anthony™ Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Jalen Rose® Alkaline Water Company
- Mark Jackson® Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Skip Bayless™ Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Jeff Van Gundy® Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Doris Burke® Alkaline Water Company, LLC
- Hubie Brown® Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Mike Breen® Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Richard Jefferson™ Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Paul Pierce® Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
- Scottie Pippen® Alkaline Water Company, Inc.
Register Your Business
a. What Type of Business Structure is Best for Alkaline Water Business?
The ideal business structure for an alkaline water company is determined by a variety of factors, including the size of the company, the number of owners, the level of personal liability the owners are ready to accept, and the tax consequences of the various business structures.
However, we normally advocate coming with minimal liability. An LLC is a hybrid corporate form that provides the flexibility of a partnership while also providing its owners with limited liability protection. An LLC can have one or more owners, and the owners are not personally accountable for the debts or liabilities of the business. This business form is frequently used for small to medium-sized organizations.
b. Steps to Form an LLC
- Choose a Name for Your LLC.
- File Articles of Organization.
- Choose a registered agent.
- Decide on member vs. manager management.
- Create an LLC operating agreement.
- Comply with other tax and regulatory requirements.
- File annual reports.
c. What Type of License is Needed to Open an Alkaline Water Business?
- General Business License
- Food Establishment Permit
- Bottled water permit
- Sales Tax Permit
- Environmental Permit
- Building Permit
- Zonal Permit
- Signage Permit
d. What Type of Certification is Needed to Open an Alkaline Water Business?
You don’t need any certifications to open an alkaline water business.
e. What Documents are Needed to Open an Alkaline Water Business?
- Business and liability insurance
- Federal Tax Payer’s ID
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Business License
- Business Plan
- Operating Agreement for LLCs
- Insurance Policy
- Food Establishment Permit
- Bottled water permit
- Sales Tax Permit
- Environmental Permit
- Building Permit
- Zonal Permit
- Signage Permit
f. Do You Need a Trademark, Copyright, or Patent?
Whether an alkaline water business needs a trademark, copyright, or patent will depend on the specific products, services, and branding associated with the business. Be that as it may, an alkaline water business may want to consider obtaining a trademark for its business name or logo to prevent others from using similar names or logos that could cause confusion in the marketplace.
An alkaline water business may want to consider obtaining a copyright for its original recipes, marketing materials, or other creative content that it produces. They may also obtain a patent if they invented a unique piece of equipment or technology that is used in its business operations.
Cost Analysis and Budgeting
a. How Much Does It Cost to Start an Alkaline Water Business?
The cost to start an alkaline water business can vary widely depending on factors such as the size of the business, location, equipment, and supplies needed, staffing costs, marketing expenses, and more. However, a rough estimate could range from $250,000 to $1 million or more, depending on the size and scope of the business.
b. What are the Costs Involved in Starting an Alkaline Water Business
- Legal and administrative costs (the cost of obtaining business licenses and permits, registering the business, and consulting with attorneys and accountants): $7,500
- Equipment and supplies (Bottling equipment, water pumps, filters, packaging materials, alkaline, and more): $150,000
- Staffing costs: $75,000
- Rent/lease: $150,000
- Marketing and advertising costs: $8,000
- Insurance costs: $8,800
- Miscellaneous Expenses: $5,000.
c. What Factors Determine the Cost of Opening an Alkaline Water Business?
- The size of the alkaline water business
- The choice of location
- The required licenses and permits
- The cost of hiring and paying a business consultant and attorney
- The cost of branding, promotion, and marketing of the alkaline water business
- The cost of furnishing and equipping the alkaline water production facility
- The cost of the insurance policy covers
- The cost of registering the business
- Source of your supplies and ongoing expenses
- Cost of recruiting and training your staff
- The cost of the purchase and customizing of uniforms
- The cost of the grand opening of the alkaline water business.
d. Do You Need to Build a Facility? If YES, How Much Will It Cost?
It is not necessary to build a new facility for your alkaline water business, but, if you have the required finance, it will pay you to build your own facility. The truth is that building or reconstructing a production facility for your alkaline water business will help you come up with a facility that will perfectly fit into your overall business goals and vision.
e. What are the Ongoing Expenses of an Alkaline Water Business?
- Rent or mortgage payments for the space where the business operates.
- Utility bills, including electricity, gas, and water.
- Equipment maintenance and repair costs for the alkaline water system, filtration system, and any other related equipment.
- Supplies such as filters, bottles, caps, labels, and packaging materials.
- Payroll expenses for employees, including wages, taxes, and benefits.
- Marketing and advertising expenses to promote the business and attract new customers.
- Insurance premiums for liability, property, and workers’ compensation.
- Accounting and bookkeeping expenses, including software, taxes, and professional fees.
- Renting or leasing a vehicle for deliveries, if applicable.
- Licenses and permits are required to operate the business.
- Bank fees and payment processing fees.
- Inventory expenses to maintain an adequate supply of alkaline water and related products.
f. What is the Average Salary of your Staff?
- Chief Executive Officer – $70,000 per year
- Production Manager – $60,000 per year
- Plant Engineer – $58,000 per year
- Quality Control Manager – $55,000 per year
- Distribution Manager – $45,000 per year
- Sales and Marketing Manager – $35,000 per year
- Administrative Assistant – $33,000 per year
- Customer Service Representative – $32,000 per year
- Delivery Driver -$30,000 per year
g. How Do You Get Funding to Start an Alkaline Water Business?
- Raising money from personal savings and sale of personal stocks and properties
- Raising money from investors and business partners
- Sell shares to interested investors
- Applying for a loan from your bank/banks
- Pitching your business idea and applying for business grants and seed funding from the government, donor organizations, and angel investors
- Source for soft loans from your family members and friends.
Write a Business Plan
a. Executive Summary
Purple Bottle® Alkaline Water Company, Inc. is a startup alkaline water production company that aims to provide high-quality alkaline water to consumers in the United States. Our goal is to become a leading provider of alkaline water in the market by delivering exceptional products and services to our customers.
Our alkaline water is sourced from natural springs and is treated using state-of-the-art filtration and ionization processes to ensure the highest quality and purity. Our products will be sold through various channels, including supermarkets, health food stores, and online platforms.
To ensure the success of our business, we have assembled a team of experienced professionals who are committed to providing the best products and services to our customers.
Our management team has extensive experience in the beverage industry, and we have hired qualified production, quality control, sales, and distribution staff to ensure that our products meet the highest standards of quality and safety.
b. Products and Service
Purple Bottle® Alkaline Water Company, Inc. will offer a variety of alkaline water products, including bottled water, dispenser refills, and customized delivery options.
c. Mission Statement
At Purple Bottle® Alkaline Water Company, Inc., our mission is to provide high-quality alkaline water to our customers, helping them lead healthier and more balanced lifestyles. We are committed to sourcing our water from natural springs and treating it using advanced filtration and ionization processes to ensure the highest quality and purity.
We are dedicated to providing exceptional products and services to our customers, and we strive to make a positive impact on the communities we serve.
Our vision is to become the leading provider of alkaline water in the United States, recognized for our commitment to quality, innovation, and customer service. We aim to revolutionize the beverage industry by delivering products that promote health and wellness and contribute to a sustainable future.
We will achieve our vision by investing in state-of-the-art technology, hiring the best talent, and fostering a culture of continuous improvement and innovation.
d. Goals and Objectives
The goals and objectives of an alkaline water business are to produce a variety of alkaline water products, including bottled water, dispenser refills, and customized delivery options.
e. Organizational Structure
- Chief Executive Officer
- Production Manager
- Plant Engineer
- Quality Control Manager
- Distribution Manager
- Sales and Marketing Manager
- Administrative Assistant
- Customer Service Representative
- Delivery Driver.
a. SWOT Analysis
- High-quality alkaline water sourced from natural springs
- State-of-the-art filtration and ionization processes ensure the highest quality and purity
- Experienced management team with extensive industry knowledge
- Strong distribution network and partnerships with key retailers
- Ability to offer customized delivery options to meet customer needs.
- High initial startup costs for production facility and equipment
- Heavy competition in the beverage industry, including from well-established brands
- Limited brand recognition and customer awareness in the market
- Dependence on third-party bottlers for production and packaging.
- Growing consumer demand for health and wellness products, including alkaline water
- Increasing awareness and acceptance of alkaline water as a healthier alternative to traditional bottled water
- Expansion into new markets and geographies
- Introduction of new product lines or flavors to meet customer preferences and trends.
- Economic downturns or shifts in consumer spending patterns
- Government regulations and compliance requirements
- Price volatility of raw materials and production costs
- The emergence of new competitors or disruptive technologies
- The potential negative impact of environmental concerns on the bottled water industry.
b. How Do Alkaline Water Businesses Make Money?
Alkaline water businesses make money from selling alkaline water.
c. Payment Options
- Credit and debit cards
- Apple Pay and Google Wallet
- Gift cards and store credit
- Installment payments
- Cash on delivery.
d. Sales & Advertising Strategies
- Identify and target specific demographics, such as health-conscious individuals, athletes, and those with certain health conditions that could benefit from alkaline water.
- Utilize social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to promote the brand and its products. Running targeted ads and creating engaging content that can help build brand awareness and attract new customers.
- Collaborate with influencers in the health and wellness space to promote the brand and its products.
- Target local customers through billboard advertising, flyers, and community events. Sponsoring local events and participating in trade shows and expos can also help promote the brand and its products.
- Encourage current customers to refer new customers through referral programs. Offering incentives like discounts or free products to those who refer others is a great way to increase sales and build brand loyalty.
- Establish strategic partnerships with retailers and distributors to expand the brand’s reach and increase sales. Partnering with grocery stores, health food stores, and online retailers can help us reach new customers and increase brand visibility.
- Offering promotions and discounts is an effective way to attract new customers and increase sales.
a. How Much Should You Charge for Your Product/Service?
The price of alkaline water in the USA varies depending on several factors such as the brand, size of the bottle, location, and the retailer. Generally, a 16.9 oz (500ml) bottle of alkaline water can range from $1 to $4, while a 1-liter bottle can range from $2 to $8 or more. The cost may be higher for premium brands or those that are sourced from natural springs.
b. How Much Profit Do Alkaline Water Business Owners Make a Year?
Assuming an alkaline water business generates $500,000 in annual revenue with a profit margin of 10%, the business owner could expect to make a profit of $50,000 per year.
c. What Factors Determine the Amount of Profit to Be Made?
- The capacity of the alkaline water business and their sales volume
- The location of the alkaline water business
- The management style of the alkaline water business
- The business approach of the alkaline water business
- The advertising and marketing strategies adopted by the alkaline water business.
- The number of years the alkaline water business has been in business
d. What is the Profit Margin of an alkaline water Business?
In general, a profitable alkaline water business may have a profit margin ranging from 10% to 15% or more. However, this can vary widely depending on the specific business and market.
e. What is the Sales Forecast?
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $440,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $640,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $800,000
Set Up your Shop/Office
a. How Do You Choose a Perfect Location for Alkaline Water Business?
- The demography of the location
- The demand for alkaline water in the location
- The purchasing power of businesses and residents of the location
- Accessibility of the location
- The number of alkaline water production companies in the location
- The local laws and regulations in the community/state
- Traffic, parking, and security et al
b. What State and City is Best to Open an Alkaline Water Business?
- San Francisco, California.
- Los Angeles, California
- Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Silver Spring, Maryland
- Washington, D.C.
- New York City, New York
- Nashville, Tennessee
- Portland, Oregon
- Seattle, Washington
- Austin, Texas
- Miami, Florida
- Chicago, Illinois
c. What Equipment is Needed to Operate an Alkaline Water Business?
- Water Purification System
- Ionizer Machine
- Water Storage Tanks
- Bottling Equipment such as bottles, caps, and labeling machines.
- Delivery Vehicles
- Testing Equipment
- Maintenance Equipment.
If you are looking to start an alkaline water production business, then you should make plans to hire employees. This is because an alkaline water production business cannot be run by an individual.
Launch the Business Proper
Launching a new business is key to how successfully the business can gain traction in the market space. So, you must make sure you organize a launch party that will attract key players such as health-conscious individuals, athletes, and those with certain health conditions that could benefit from your alkaline water.
a. What Makes an Alkaline Water Business Successful?
- Choose a good location to launch the business
- Make sure your alkaline water is top-notch
- Throw an open house grand party before officially opening the business
- Be deliberate with your marketing sales approach
- Encourage the use of word of mouth to promote your alkaline water business
- Leverage all available online and offline platforms to promote your alkaline water business
b. What Happens During a Typical Day at an Alkaline Water Business?
- The day would typically start with the water purification process. This involves running the raw water through a purification system to remove impurities and contaminants.
- Once the water has been purified, it is ionized to raise its pH level to make it alkaline. This involves running the water through an ionizer machine, which separates the water into acidic and alkaline components.
- After the water has been ionized, it is bottled and packaged for distribution. This includes filling the bottles, capping them, and labeling them with the appropriate information such as the brand name, batch number, and expiration date.
- During the day, samples of the water are taken and tested to ensure that it meets the required alkaline levels and quality standards. If any issues are found, adjustments may be made to the purification or ionization process.
- Distribution of the alkaline water to retail stores.
- Maintenance and Cleaning.
- Other tasks that may be done during the day include managing inventory, scheduling staff, accounting and bookkeeping, and customer service.
c. What Skills and Experience Do You Need to Build an Alkaline Water Business?
- Excellent quality control skills
- Excellent customer services skills
- Interpersonal skill
- Health and safety knowledge
- Accounting and bookkeeping skills
- Business management skills
- Bargaining and bidding skill
- Work experience in an alkaline water production business environment or in the non-alcoholic beverage industry
- Experience in managing people.