A touchless car wash business is a type of car wash service that cleans vehicles without physical contact between the cleaning equipment and the vehicle’s surface. In traditional car washes, brushes, cloths, or other physical cleaning tools come into direct contact with the car’s exterior.
In contrast, touchless car washes use high-pressure water, detergents, and sometimes specialized chemicals to clean the vehicle’s exterior without physically touching it.
Touchless car wash businesses can be standalone facilities, part of a larger car care center, or even mobile units that can be deployed at various locations.
The specific equipment and technology used in touchless car washes can vary, but they all share the common principle of cleaning without physical contact.
Steps on How to Start a Touchless Car Wash Business
Conduct Market Research
Conducting thorough market research is crucial when starting a touchless car wash business to understand the demand, competition, and other factors that can influence the success of your venture.
First, you should start by clearly outlining your research objectives. Determine what specific information you need and what questions you want to answer.
For example, you might want to know the target market size, customer preferences, local competition, and potential growth opportunities.
Determine the demographics, psychographics, and geographic characteristics of your potential customers. Consider factors such as age, income, car ownership, lifestyle, and location. This will help you tailor your services and marketing strategies to the right audience.
If possible, research existing touchless car wash businesses in your target area. Identify their strengths, weaknesses, pricing strategies, and customer reviews. This information will help you understand the competitive landscape and find ways to differentiate your business.
Lastly, conduct a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) analysis for your touchless car wash business. This will help you identify areas where you can excel and areas that may need improvement.
Based on your market research findings, refine your business plan. Clearly define your target market, competitive positioning, pricing strategy, marketing approach, and growth plans.
a. Who is the Target Market for Touchless Car Wash Business?
- Individuals who own personal vehicles
- Truck and SUV owners
- Taxi companies, delivery services, and other businesses with vehicle fleets
- People living in or near urban and suburban areas where there is a higher concentration of vehicles
- Time-conscious customers who are in a hurry or have busy schedules
- Car enthusiasts who are particular about maintaining the appearance of their vehicles
- Environmentally Conscious Customers who are concerned about water conservation and the environmental impact of traditional car washes
- Business and corporate clients, such as local car dealerships, rental car companies, and car rental agencies.
b. Is Touchless Car Wash Business a Profitable Business?
The profitability of a touchless car wash business depends on factors such as location, pricing, competition, and operational efficiency.
With the right strategy and a suitable market, it can be a profitable venture due to its convenience and low risk of damaging vehicles.
Additionally, environmental considerations and customer preferences for touchless cleaning methods can attract a customer base, but success requires careful market research and effective management.
c. Are There Existing Niches in the Industry?
No, there are no niche ideas when it comes to touchless car wash business.
d. Who are the Major Competitors?
- Mister Car Wash
- Autobell Car Wash
- Zips Car Wash
- Goo Goo Express Wash
- Delta Sonic Car Wash
- Brown Bear Car Wash
- Crew Carwash
- Waterway Carwash
- Quick Quack Car Wash
- Boomerang Car Wash
- Sparkling Image Car Wash
- The Wash Tub
- Mike’s Carwash
- Breeze Thru Car Wash
- Prime Car Wash
- Metro Express Car Wash
- Glisten Car Wash
- ScrubaDub Auto Wash Centers
- Red Carpet Car Wash
- Clearwater Car Wash.
e. Are There County or State Regulations or Zoning Laws for Touchless Car Wash Businesses?
Yes, there are county or state regulations and zoning laws that apply to touchless car wash businesses in the United States.
These regulations can vary significantly from one location to another, and it is essential to research and comply with local laws and requirements.
Many states and localities have regulations related to water usage, wastewater disposal, and the use of chemicals in car wash operations. Touchless car wash businesses often need to comply with these regulations to minimize environmental impact.
Zoning laws dictate where certain types of businesses can be located. Ensure that your chosen location complies with local zoning regulations for the type of commercial activity you plan to undertake.
Regulations related to signage, building aesthetics, and landscaping may affect the appearance of your car wash facility. Some municipalities have strict guidelines to maintain the visual appeal of the area.
Compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is essential to ensure your car wash facility is accessible to individuals with disabilities.
Proper disposal of waste generated during car wash operations, including chemicals and used materials, should be managed according to local regulations.
f. Is There a Franchise for Touchless Car Wash Business?
Yes, there are franchise opportunities for touchless car wash business, and here are some of them:
- Mister Car Wash
- Autobell Car Wash
- Zips Car Wash
- Goo Goo Express Wash
- Delta Sonic Car Wash
- Brown Bear Car Wash
- Quick Quack Car Wash
- Boomerang Car Wash
- Prime Car Wash
- Metro Express Car Wash.
g. What Do You Need to Start a Touchless Car Wash Business?
- Business Plan
- Equipment (High-pressure washers, detergents, water recycling system)
- Legal Entity (LLC, Corporation, etc.)
- Business Licenses and Permits
- Water Supply and Drainage
- Marketing and Branding
- Staff and Training
- Pricing Strategy
- Environmental Compliance
- Financing and Capital.
Choose a Memorable Business Name
When looking to start a business, before you can begin to file the necessary documents with the constituted authorities or start your website, it is necessary that you come up with a name that you will be recognized with.
It is essential that the name you come up with can easily be pronounced, is unique and easily memorable. Some of the catchy business name ideas suitable for a touchless car wash are;
Creative Touchless Car Wash Name ideas
- Raul Gonzales® Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
- Green Earth® Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
- Kingsley Haris™ Touchless Car Wash, LLC
- Simon Hulk® Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
- Elba Hogan® Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
- Edwin Beckel® Touchless Car Wash, LLC
- Bright Eden™ Touchless Car Wash, LLC
- Mike Powel® Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
- John Smith© Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
- Cena Browne® Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
- Phil Fritz™ Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
- Robin Johnson™ Touchless Car Wash, LLC
- Julius Allen® Touchless Car Wash, LLC
- Smart Jackson® Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
- Greg Argon™ Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
- Stanley Solomon® Touchless Car Wash, LLC
- Bob Warren™ Touchless Car Wash, LLC
- Fraser Jeffrey® Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
- Canton Mansfield™ Touchless Car Wash, LLC
- Moore Van Wert ® Touchless Car Wash, Inc.
Register Your Business
a. What Type of Business Structure is Best for Touchless Car Wash Business?
The best type of business structure for a touchless car wash business depends on several factors, including the size of the business, the number of owners, and the level of personal liability exposure the owners are willing to accept.
However, we usually recommend a limited liability company (LLC) for a touchless car wash business. An LLC is a popular choice for startup businesses because it offers personal liability protection for the owners while allowing them to be taxed as a pass-through entity.
This means that the profits and losses of the business are passed through to the owners’ personal tax returns, avoiding double taxation.
Ultimately, the best business structure for a touchless car wash business will depend on factors such as the ownership structure, the club’s goals and objectives, and the type of services and activities offered.
b. Steps to Form an LLC
- Choose a Name for Your LLC.
- File Articles of Organization.
- Choose a registered agent.
- Decide on member vs. manager management.
- Create an LLC operating agreement.
- Comply with other tax and regulatory requirements.
- File annual reports.
c. What Type of License is Needed to Open a Touchless Car Wash Business?
- Business License
- Operating Permit
- Environmental Permit
- Water Discharge Permit
- Signage Permit
- Zoning Permit
- Health Department Permit
- Stormwater Management Permit
- Wastewater Treatment Permit
- Hazardous Waste Handling License
- Sales Tax Permit
- Vehicle Dealer License (if selling products).
d. What Type of Certification is Needed to Open a Touchless Car Wash Business?
You don’t need any certification to open a touchless car wash business.
e. What Documents are Needed to Open a Touchless Car Wash Business?
- Business Plan
- Business License Application
- Operating Permit Application
- Environmental Compliance Documents
- Zoning Approval Documents
- Lease or Property Ownership Agreement
- Insurance Policies
- Employee Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS
- Employee Contracts and Hiring Documents
- Equipment and Supplier Agreements
- Financial Projections and Business Financial Statements
- Marketing and Advertising Plans
- Water Usage and Conservation Plans
- Waste Disposal and Recycling Plans
- Employee Training Manuals and Safety Procedures.
f. Do You Need a Trademark, Copyright, or Patent?
For a touchless car wash business, the primary intellectual property consideration is branding and possibly innovative technologies.
Trademarks are crucial for protecting the business’s name, logo, or slogan, ensuring that competitors can’t use similar identifiers. Copyrights may be relevant if the business creates unique marketing materials, signage, or software for operations.
Patents could be significant if the car wash has developed proprietary technology, such as specialized equipment or water recycling systems.
Note that the choice between these protections depends on the specific intellectual property assets of the business. It’s advisable to consult with legal experts to determine which forms of protection are necessary to safeguard your business’s unique assets and brand identity.
Cost Analysis and Budgeting
When it comes to starting a touchless car wash business, the startup costs vary, and could range from as low as $150,000 to $1 million or more.
b. What are the Costs Involved in Starting a Touchless Car Wash Business
- Business Registration Fees – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits – $2,800.
- Marketing, Branding, and Promotions – $1,200.
- Business Consultant Fee – $2,500.
- Insurance – $1,800.
- Rent/Lease – $150,000
- Operational Cost (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $50,000
- Equipment, and Supplies – $250,000
- Website: $600
- Opening party: $3,000
- Miscellaneous: $3,000
c. What Factors Determine the Cost of Opening a Touchless Car Wash Business?
- The size of the touchless car wash business
- The choice of location
- The required licenses and permits
- The cost of hiring and paying a business consultant and attorney
- The cost of branding, promotion, and marketing of the touchless car wash business
- The cost of furnishing and equipping the touchless car wash business
- The cost of the insurance policy covers
- The cost of registering the business
- Cost of recruiting and training your staff
- The cost of the purchase and customizing of uniforms
- The cost for the grand opening of the touchless car wash business.
d. Do You Need to Build a Facility? If YES, How Much Will It Cost?
Whether you need to build a facility for your touchless car wash business depends on various factors, including your business model, location, and available resources.
Standalone car wash facilities typically require construction, which can be a significant expense. Costs can vary widely depending on factors like size, location, equipment, and site preparation.
Small-scale facilities might cost around $100,000 to $500,000, while larger and more sophisticated operations can run into millions. Mobile or pop-up setups may have lower initial construction costs.
To get an accurate estimate, you should consult with contractors, and architects, and consider local building codes and zoning regulations to determine the total investment required to build your facility.
e. What are the Ongoing Expenses of a Touchless Car Wash Business?
- Wages for employees involved in car washing, customer service, and maintenance.
- Water and electricity for the car wash equipment, lighting, and other operational needs.
- Regular upkeep and repairs for high-pressure washers, water recycling systems, and other machinery.
- Costs for cleaning agents, detergents, and other chemicals used in the car wash process.
- Costs related to the purchase or treatment of water, depending on local rates and conservation measures.
- Expenses for proper disposal of wastewater, chemicals, and other waste materials.
- Ongoing expenses to promote the business, including digital and traditional advertising.
- Liability insurance, property insurance, and workers’ compensation coverage.
- Monthly costs for property rent or mortgage payments if you own the car wash facility.
- Regular payments for local business taxes, permits, and license renewals to stay compliant with regulations.
f. What is the Average Salary of your Staff?
- Chief Executive Officer – $55,000 Per Year
- Manager – $42,000 Per Year
- Accountant – $37,000 Per Year
- Maintenance Technicians – $36,500 Per Year
- Operators – $32,000 Per Year
g. How Do You Get Funding to Start a Touchless Car Wash Business?
- Raising money from personal savings and sale of personal stocks and properties
- Raising money from investors and business partners
- Sell shares to interested investors
- Applying for a loan from your bank/banks
- Source for soft loans from your family members and your friends.
Write a Business Plan
a. Executive Summary
Bernardo Hercules® Touchless Car Wash, Inc. is a cutting-edge touchless car wash business set to revolutionize the car cleaning industry in New York City, New York.
With a prime location and innovative technology, we offer efficient and eco-friendly car washing services that cater to urban and suburban vehicle owners, commuters, and commercial fleets.
Our touchless car wash utilizes state-of-the-art high-pressure washers, eco-friendly detergents, and a water recycling system to deliver impeccable car cleaning without physical contact, minimizing the risk of vehicle damage.
This commitment to quality, convenience, and environmental sustainability sets us apart in the competitive New York City market.
New York City’s bustling urban environment, coupled with its large population of vehicle owners, presents a significant market opportunity for a touchless car wash service that values speed, efficiency, and environmental responsibility.
b. Products and Service
At Bernardo Hercules® Touchless Car Wash, Inc., our core service includes touchless car washing, which utilizes high-pressure water, eco-friendly detergents, and sometimes specialized chemicals to remove dirt and grime without contact.
Additional services may encompass vehicle detailing, waxing, and polishing for a thorough cleaning and preservation of the vehicle’s appearance.
c. Mission Statement
At Bernardo Hercules® Touchless Car Wash, Inc., our mission is to provide New York City’s vehicle owners with the most efficient, eco-friendly, and high-quality car cleaning services.
We are committed to delivering a touchless car wash experience that ensures customer satisfaction, minimizes environmental impact, and maintains the pristine appearance of their vehicles.
Our vision at Bernardo Hercules® Touchless Car Wash, Inc. is to lead the car wash industry in New York City by redefining the way urban and suburban vehicle owners care for their automobiles. We aspire to be the recognized symbol of efficient, eco-conscious car cleaning, with multiple locations across the city.
We envision a future where every car owner in New York City values the ease and environmental responsibility we offer, making us the go-to destination for premium touchless car wash services.
d. Goals and Objectives
The primary goals and objectives of a touchless car wash business are to provide efficient, high-quality car cleaning services, promote environmental sustainability, expand the customer base, and achieve profitability through customer satisfaction and operational efficiency.
e. Organizational Structure
- Chief Executive Officer
- Maintenance Technicians
a. SWOT Analysis
- Utilization of advanced touchless car wash technology for efficient and damage-free cleaning.
- Strategic placement in the heart of New York City for high visibility and accessibility.
- Water recycling and eco-conscious detergents appeal to environmentally-conscious customers.
- Building a recognizable and trusted brand in a competitive market.
- High startup costs for site acquisition and equipment.
- Ongoing expenses for utilities, equipment maintenance, and labor.
- A competitive market with various car wash options.
- Ensuring compliance with local environmental and business regulations.
- Increasing urban and suburban vehicle ownership in New York City.
- A rising interest in eco-friendly car cleaning methods.
- Collaboration with local businesses and car dealerships to expand customer reach.
- Potential for expanding to different areas within the city.
- Economic fluctuations affecting consumer spending.
- Stricter environmental regulations impacting water usage and disposal.
- Shifting customer preferences for car cleaning methods.
- Local and national competitors affecting market share and pricing strategies.
b. How Do Touchless Car Wash Business Make Money?
Touchless car wash businesses generate revenue through a variety of sources. Their primary income comes from offering car washing services, charging customers per wash, or through subscription plans. Additional services like vehicle detailing, waxing, or premium wash packages can increase earnings.
Loyalty programs and memberships encourage repeat business. Moreover, partnerships with local businesses and dealerships can bring in additional income.
Marketing and advertising collaborations with other companies and selling car care products can create supplementary revenue streams.
Overall, the main source of income for touchless car wash businesses is the provision of efficient, eco-friendly, and high-quality car cleaning services to a diverse customer base.
c. Payment Options
- Credit Cards
- Debit Cards
- Mobile Payment Apps (e.g., Apple Pay, Google Pay)
- Online Payment Platforms (e.g., PayPal).
d. Sales & Advertising Strategies
- Establish a professional website and engage in online advertising through Google Ads and social media platforms. Optimize your website for local SEO to attract nearby customers. Use eye-catching visuals and clear service descriptions to convey value.
- Leverage social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to showcase your car wash services, share customer reviews, and run targeted ad campaigns.
- Create customer loyalty programs offering discounts, free washes after a certain number of visits, or special promotions for repeat customers.
- Collaborate with nearby businesses, such as auto dealerships, gas stations, or restaurants, to cross-promote services or offer exclusive deals to their customers.
- Develop attractive promotional packages, such as discounted monthly memberships, family deals, or bundle services that include car detailing, waxing, and interior cleaning. Limited-time offers and flash sales can create a sense of urgency.
- Encourage satisfied customers to leave reviews on platforms like Google, Yelp, and TripAdvisor.
- Respond promptly to any negative feedback with a commitment to improving services.
- Implement a referral program that rewards customers who refer friends and family to your car wash.
a. How Much Should You Charge for Your Product/Service?
Basic Touchless Car Wash: This typically includes a standard exterior wash with high-pressure water and detergents. Prices can range from $6 to $15 or more.
Premium Wash: A premium touchless car wash often includes additional services such as undercarriage cleaning, wheel cleaning, and a wax or protectant application. Prices can range from $15 to $25 or more.
Full-Service Touchless Car Wash: Full-service car washes may include interior cleaning, vacuuming, window cleaning, and more. These services can range from $25 to $50 or higher.
Subscription Plans: Some touchless car washes offer monthly or annual subscription plans that provide unlimited or a set number of washes for a fixed fee. Subscription prices can vary widely, from $20 to $50 or more per month.
b. How Much Profit Do Touchless Car Wash Business Owners Make a Year?
The profit that touchless car wash business owners can make in a year can vary widely based on several factors, including the size of the business, the number of clients served, pricing strategies, operational costs, and local market conditions.
Because there are so many variables, it’s challenging to provide a specific annual profit figure for touchless car wash business owners.
Some touchless car wash businesses may generate modest profits, while others with larger operations and efficient strategies could potentially achieve higher profitability.
c. What Factors Determine the Amount of Profit to Be Made?
- The size and capacity of the touchless car wash business
- The service offerings of the touchless car wash business
- The location of the touchless car wash business
- The management style of the touchless car wash business
- The business approach of the touchless car wash business
- The advertising and marketing strategies adopted by the touchless car wash business.
- The number of years the touchless car wash business is in business
d. What is the Profit Margin of a Touchless Car Wash Business?
On average, the profit margin for touchless car wash business products ranges from 10% to 30%, depending on the location, and service offerings.
e. What is the Sales Forecast?
Below is the sales forecast for a touchless car wash business. It is based on the location of the business and other factors as it relates to such startups in the United States.
- First Fiscal Year (FY1): $350,000
- Second Fiscal Year (FY2): $550,000
- Third Fiscal Year (FY3): $750,000
Set Up your Shop/Office
a. How Do You Choose a Perfect Location for Touchless Car Wash Business?
- The demography of the location as it relates to vehicle ownership.
- The demand for the services offered by touchless car wash business in the location
- The purchasing power of businesses and residents in and around the location
- Accessibility of the location
- The number of touchless car wash businesses, and other car wash businesses in and around the location
- The local laws and regulations in the community/state
- Traffic, parking, and security et al
b. What State and City is Best to Open a Touchless Car Wash Business?
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Los Angeles, California
- New York City, New York
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Houston, Texas
- Washington, D.C.
- San Francisco, California
- Dallas, Texas
- Miami, Florida
- Chicago, Illinois.
c. What Equipment is Needed to Operate a Touchless Car Wash Business?
- High-pressure washers
- Water recycling system
- Detergent and chemical dispensers
- Payment processing system
- Entry and exit control systems
- Vacuum and blower systems
- Security cameras and alarms
- Signage and branding materials
- Computer and software for operations and customer management
- Water storage tanks
- Plumbing and drainage systems
- Air compressors
- Electrical infrastructure
- Safety equipment and signage for employees.
If you are looking to start a touchless car wash business, then you should make plans to hire employees because a touchless car wash business cannot be run by an individual.
Launch the Business Proper
Organizing an opening party for a new touchless car wash business can be a good way to introduce your business to the community and create awareness about your services.
If you want to go ahead to organize a proper launch for your touchless car wash business, then you must make sure to invite potential clients (families), key stakeholders, and other members of the community who may be interested in your services.
a. What Makes a Touchless Car Wash Business Successful?
- Providing high-quality services and ensuring customer satisfaction
- Employing skilled and knowledgeable professionals who can handle various types of touchless car wash equipment.
- Offering excellent customer service, including clear communication, responsiveness, and addressing customer needs.
- Setting reasonable and competitive prices while maintaining profitability and value for customers.
- Staying informed about and compliant with local and state regulations regarding environmental impact and other related requirements.
- Developing a strong online presence, marketing strategies, and customer outreach to attract and retain a customer base, including engaging with the local community and online reviews.
b. What Happens During a Typical Day at a Touchless Car Wash Business?
A typical day at a touchless car wash business involves a well-orchestrated sequence of activities. Customers arrive and choose their preferred car wash package, pay at the kiosk, and follow directional signs to the wash bay. Once inside, they place their vehicle in the designated area, and the automated system takes over.
High-pressure water jets, detergents, and chemicals are precisely applied to clean the vehicle’s exterior without physical contact. An undercarriage wash, wheel cleaning, and sometimes waxing or protective coatings are included.
After the wash, customers can use the provided vacuums and detailing stations to clean the interior. Employees oversee the operations, ensuring efficiency and customer satisfaction while addressing any issues that may arise.
c. What Skills and Experience Do You Need to Build a Touchless Car Wash Business?
- Knowledge of touchless car wash techniques and equipment
- Basic business and financial management skills
- Sales and marketing skills
- Understanding of local regulations and compliance standards
- Project management and organization skills
- Customer service and communication skills
- Ability to operate touchless car wash machines and equipment
- Knowledge of touchless car wash regulations
- Leadership and team management skills
- Problem-solving and decision-making abilities.