Do you know that pigs have one of the highest rates of reproduction in animals? Pigs can birth up to 15 offspring at once and that is just one of the things that make pig farming attractive to investors. Pigs also grow very fast and pork meat is in huge demand in most countries where there is a minority of people practicing religions that forbid consumption of pork meat.
In a typical pig herd, there are the males which are known as the boar, the females known as the sows and the little pigs known as the piglets or the farrows. Pig farming is very lucrative. You could get up to 200 new piglets in a year (even with a small herd) and that’s a lot of money if you are able to grow them to the right size and sell them.
Farmers are often faced with the challenges of choosing the best animals to rear because there are just so many to choose from-goats, pigs, poultry, fishes etc.If you are faced with such a challenge, some of the reasons why you should consider choosing pig farming over others include-:
5 Reasons Why You Should Invest in Pig Farming
- Pigs have low mortality rate compared to other animals. They are more rugged and easier to raise. They can also survive days without food or water.
- Pigs are also cheaper to raise compared to fishes or poultry because they can eat most foods that humans eat and even if you have to buy feed for them, their feeds are cheaper than those of other animals. If you do not have money for fancy pig feed, you can always make do with stuff you can find around you or food wastes from your kitchen. This is totally impossible with fishes.
- Also, you wouldn’t have to worry about people stealing your pigs because most people would not touch live pigs with a 6-feet pole.
- The immune system of pigs is higher than other animals. As long as you give them the needed vaccines regularly, they would not fall sick. The same cannot be said for chickens which could be wiped out in one fell swoop by a disease outbreak.
- Pigs also generate more profit and if you ever get tired of pig farming, you could easily dive into real estate, using your pig farm as your first construction site.
So without further ado, let me quickly introduce you to a piggery business plan for startinga pig farming business.
Starting a Commercial Pig Farm – Sample Business Plan Template
1. Location-: The first thing you need to take care of is finding a suitable location for breeding your pigs. Please, do not try to do this at home. Why? The reason is because pigs can be very smelly and you will be sure to receive a lot of complaints and protests from your neighbors because of the smell and noise your piggery would generate.
So instead of causing great discomfort to others, look for a farmland for your piggery. Just one plot of land would be enough for a small scale piggery but if you are opting for a large scale pig farming business, make sure you purchase a land that is large enough to allow for spacing, grazing and feeding.
2. Housing-: The shelter that you would build for your pigs is known as a pig pen. This would keep your pigs safe from the elements of weather and other diseases or contamination. You may build your pen with iron or concrete depending on which one you prefer and find more affordable. When constructing your pig pen, ensure that you build a proper drainage for the pigs where all the wastes can pass through.
You should also make sure the drainage is kept clean at all times to avoid insects, pests, diseases and contamination. Pigs love playing in water, so you should consider building a water pool in your pig pen for them to play in and stay healthy.
The water in the pool should be changed regularly and kept clean at all times. You can also allow the pigs to come out of the pen and play outdoors sometimes but be sure to guide them closely, so that they don’t wander off.
3. Piglets-: To start your piggery, you would need healthy piglets which you can get from other pig farmers around you. Ensure that the piglets you buy are healthy and have been well taken care of. You should also ask for their vaccination history records to be sure that they have taken their vaccinations up to date.
You would need both male and female pigs. The number of piglets you need to purchase would depend on the size of your pen because pigs can multiply very quickly. Pig farmers start with as low as one each (male and female) or as many as 50 each depending on the scale of pig farming you want to go into.
4. Professional Assistance-: To ensure that your pigs receive the best healthcare, you should engage the services of a veterinary doctor who would act as a consultant for your piggery. The duties of the veterinary doctor would include giving the pigs the right vaccination regularly, checking up on the pigs from time to time to ensure that they are in good health, offering nutrition advice and treating the pigs when they fall ill.
5. Feeding-: You are in luck when it comes to pig feeding because they can eat most of the things that human beings can eat which means that you may not have to start worrying about getting some special feed for them. However, it is important to pay special attention to their nutritional needs. They need to be fed a balanced diet with classes of food like protein for body building, carbohydrate for growth and strength, vitamins, minerals and fiber.
You should also provide them with clean water all the time. I already mentioned that pigs love water and this includes their drinking water. They would also play in and mess up their drinking water, so you should opt for a water supply system that cannot be messed up by the pigs and ensure that they are checked upon and their water is changed regularly.
6. Marketing-: Pigs can be sold live to meat sellers or used to make sausages and bacon. You can approach other pig farmers for assistance on how to sell your pigs. Pigs are usually sold per kilogram so the bigger your pigs, the more money you would earn.