Are you a pest control technician and need a license? If YES, here are 4 types of pest control licenses for exterminators and pest control business owners. Pest control workers are sometimes called exterminators. Employers in the pest control industry prefer to hire high school graduates.  Although, it usually takes two or three months to learn the basics in pest control work and it takes a few years of experience to handle the more difficult pest control problems.

Pest control workers are expected to be licensed. There are general-use and restricted-use pesticides available. Technicians may use both, but those who apply or supervise the application of restricted-use pesticides must be certified by the state, which includes training and taking an exam. Continuing education is also required to maintain the license.

All U.S. states require pest control professionals to be licensed, though each state has its own conditions and terms. In Jersey City, New Jersey, for instance, exterminator applicants must undergo a pesticide course, pass a test, and take part in at least 40 hours of on-the-job training. However, in cities like Irvine, California, state law only demands that exterminators pass an exam.

4 Types of Pest Control Licenses for Exterminators and Pest Control Business Owners

Federal law mandates any person who applies or supervises the use of restricted use pesticides (RUPs) to be certified in accordance with EPA regulations and state, territorial and tribal laws. Pesticide applicators must know how to apply RUPs properly and effectively. State, territorial, and tribal authorities certify applicators.

You must be certified in each state, territory, and area of Indian country where you make RUP applications. Check to see if they have requirements that are stricter than the federal requirements. Below are the various types of licenses to consider in the united states:

  1. Private Applicator License

Note that this license is for people who use restricted use pesticides to produce an agricultural commodity on property they own or rent, or on property owned or rented by their employer. Qualifying sites include farms (including sod farms), ranches, groves, nurseries, gardens, aquaculture operations and livestock production operations.

Meanwhile, a commercial applicator license may substitute for a private applicator license for uses (categories) covered by the commercial license. The initial Private Applicator license is good for five years.

  1. Public Applicator License

Public Applicators are individuals who work for a government agency and whose duties include applying restricted-use pesticides. Public Applicators are not required to pay licensing fees. However, they must pass the National Core Exam and category exams that correspond to their type of pest control.

This license is valid only for work performed for the government agency during the course of employment. A commercial applicator license may substitute for a public applicator license if desired. However, liability issues should be taken into consideration and discussed with the employer before making this decision.

  1. Commercial Applicator License

Note that this license is for people who use restricted use pesticides on any agricultural or related area not associated with buildings for any purpose other than as given above for private and public applicator licenses. The Commercial Pesticide Applicator license is required if you want to buy, apply, or supervise the application of a general use or restricted-use pesticide (RUP) without a fee and you do not qualify as a private applicator.

(Private applicators buy, apply, or supervise the application of RUPs to their own land or to land they rent or lease or to the land, owned or leased, of their employer to produce an agricultural, horticultural, or forestry commodity.) Any commercial applicators who wish to charge a fee for the application of any pesticide to the land of another person or business also must obtain a Pesticide Contractor license for each business location.

The Commercial Pesticide Applicator license does not permit you to charge a fee unless you also have a Pesticide Contractor license. If you are a licensed Pesticide Contractor and apply any pesticide to the lands of another person or business, you must have at least one full-time Commercial Pesticide Applicator licensed at your business location.

The Commercial Pesticide Applicator will supervise all applications made under the license. Pesticide purchases must be confined to only those categories for which you are authorized by your license.

  1. Aerial Pesticide Applicator License

Any individual who applies any pesticide (restricted use or general use) by aerial delivery in the United States for any purpose other than public health pest control must have a pesticide applicator license including the aerial category. The license type may be commercial (for hired or contract applications) or public (for work-related applications made by government employees).

Aerial application is not authorized for private applicators. Aerial applications for public health pest control (mosquito control, dog fly control, etc.) require a Public Health Aerial Pest Control License. Meanwhile, the agricultural aerial category is a major category and is the only category required for aerial applicators that do not make pest management decisions (determining when to treat and which pesticides to apply).

Aerial applicators licensed in the aerial category alone are licensed only to apply pesticides aerially according to the directions of another person who has made the pest management decisions. Aerial applicators that make determinations of when treatments are needed and which pesticides to apply must be licensed in all work-related categories (agricultural row crop, agricultural tree crop, forestry, etc.) in addition to the aerial category.

Aerial applicators licensed in the agricultural aerial category only are not authorized to make ground application of restricted use pesticides. Applicators must be licensed in the appropriate ground categories (agricultural row crop, agricultural tree crop, forestry, etc.) to make ground application of restricted use pesticides to these sites.

  • Conclusion

This career path is one you should consider extensively. The employment outlook for pest control is projected to increase faster than the average. Note that the regulations limiting pesticide use will require professional intervention.

Also, the new materials that are being used for insulation around foundations are more prone to pest infestation. In addition, as more people move to pest-prone areas, the number of households in need of pest control will increase.