Are you about starting a video game store? If YES, here is a complete sample video game store business plan template & feasibility report you can use for FREE.
Okay, so we have considered all the requirements for starting a video game store. We also took it further by analyzing and drafting a sample video game store business marketing plan template backed up by actionable guerrilla marketing ideas for video game stores. So let’s proceed to the business planning section.
Table of Content
- Why Start a Video Game Store?
- Video Game Store Business Plan – Executive Summary
- Video Game Store Business Plan – SWOT Analysis
- Video Game Store Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Video Game Store Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Video Game Store Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
- Video Game Store Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
Why Start a Video Game Store?
Starting a video game store business is just like starting any other retail business, and it will require startup capital, planning (feasibility studies, market survey, budgeting), and of course time.
A video game store retails different types of video games and accessories. If you are considering starting this type of business, then you must hunt for the right location, a location with the right demographic composition. With the right location, items in stock, and good pricing structure, you can start making profit as soon as possible after opening your business.
If you are sure this type of business is what you truly want to do after you must have conducted your feasibility studies and market research, then the next step to follow is to write a good business plan; a detailed blue print of how you intend raising your seed capital, setting up the business, managing the flow of the business, sorting out tax and marketing your products.
The truth is that it is one thing to have a fantastic idea cum business plan, it is another thing for the business plan to translate to money, which is why it is important to assemble a team of dedicated workers to work with if you want to be successful with your video game store business.
Below is a sample video game store business plan template that will help you successfully write yours without much stress.
A Sample Video Game Store Business Plan Template
- Industry Overview
Video game store business is categorized under the video game retail store industry and businesses in this industry retail a wide range of toy and hobby goods, such as traditional dolls and toys, electronic toys (including video and electronic games), board games, hobby kits and craft supplies et al. These goods are retailed to the general public after they are purchased from local and international manufacturers and wholesalers.
In recent time, the video game retail store industry has done brilliantly, growing in line with economic recovery. On the other hand, competition from discount department stores and e-commerce channels has absorbed much of the demand for industry products by offering low prices and one-stop-shop convenience. In view of that, discount stores have become the leading hobby and toy retailers in the united states.
IBISWorld projected that despite an extremely competitive environment both internally and externally, hobby and toy retailers are expected to experience growth over the five years to 2022.
The Video game retail stores industry is indeed a very large industry and pretty much thriving in all the parts of the world. Statistics has it that in the United States of America alone, there are about 21,563 legally registered video game retail stores responsible for employing about 158,296 employees and the industry rakes in a whooping sum of $20bn annually.
It is important to state that; the industry experienced a 1.1 percent growth between 2013 and 2018. Hobby Lobby Stores Inc. and Michaels Stores have the lion shares in the USA market.
A recent research conducted by IBISWorld shows that the Video game retail stores industry has crafted moderate revenue growth over the past five years. Operators in this industry retail a variety of toys and hobby goods, including dolls, electronic toys, games, hobby kits and craft supplies.
The research also shows that over the five years to 2018, industry operators steadily recovered from recessionary lows, in line with improving economic conditions. As consumer income rose during the period, competition intensified and operators both within and external to the industry fought to win over consumers.
Increased competition from discount department stores and online retailers stifled industry sales and profitability, as lower-priced comparable products increasingly lured customers away from traditional industry operators.
In summary, video game store business is evergreen and thriving. In response to the ever-growing demand for video games and accessories, players in the industry are now opening additional stores thereby creating chains of stores across different cities. They are always ready to expanded into new markets and of course adapt to the changing trend in consumer tastes and increase sales.
Video Game Store Business Plan – Executive Summary
Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. is a neighborhood video game retail store that will be located in a growing community in Lake Street, Petoskey – Michigan. We conducted our feasibility studies and market survey and we came to the conclusion that Lake Street, Petoskey is the right location for us to launch our video game retail store.
We are in the video game store line of business to make profits at the same time to give our customers value for their money. We want to give people who patronize our video games the opportunity to choose from a wide range of video games and other related products. We will leverage on all major retail channels, including specialty stores, merchandisers and online store.
We are aware that there are several video game stores and even toy and hobby chains of stores that also retail video games and accessories all around Petoskey – Michigan, which is why we spent time and resources to conduct our feasibility studies and market survey so as to enable us locate the business in an area that will support the growth of the business
We ensured that our facility is easy to locate and our outlet is equipped with the various payment of options available in the United States of America Much more than retailing quality and affordable video games and related products, we will ensure that our customer care is second to none in the whole of Lake Street, Petoskey – Michigan.
We know that our customers are the reason why we are in business which is why we will go the extra mile to get them satisfied whenever they visit our store. Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. will ensure that all our customers are given first class treatment whenever they visit our store.
We have a CRM software that will enable us manage a one on one relationship with our customers no matter how large they may grow to. We will ensure that we get our customers involved in the selection of brands that will be on our racks and also when making some business decisions that will directly or indirectly affect them.
Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. is owned by Joel Anderson and his immediate family members. Joel Anderson has successfully managed several video game retail stores both in Petoskey and Dallas – Texas prior to opening his own video game store. Joel Anderson has a Degree in Business Administration and he will run the business alongside his immediate family members.
- Our Product Offering
Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. is going to operate a registered neighborhood video game store that will retail a wide range of video games and video games accessories. We are in the video game retail industry to make profits and give our customers value for their money.
These are some of the products that we will retail in our video game retail store;
- A wide range of video games from top flight video games companies like Microsoft Corporation, Nintendo Co. Ltd., Activision Blizzard Inc., GameStop Corp., Sony Corporation and Electronic Arts Inc.
- Video games renting services
- Sale of Video games and accessories
Our Vision Statement
Our vision is to establish a one stop video game store business in Lake Street, Petoskey – Michigan.
- Our Mission Statement
Our mission is to establish a video game retail store that will make available a wide range of video games and accessories from top brands at affordable prices to the residents of Lake Street, Petoskey.
- Our Business Structure
Our intention of starting a video game store is to build a standard video game retail store that will be a one – stop shop, which is why we will ensure that we put the right structures in place that will support the kind of growth that we have in mind while setting up the business.
We will ensure that we only hire people that are qualified, honest, customer centric and are ready to work to help us build a prosperous business that will benefit all our stake holders. As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of five years or more especially when we start selling our franchise or running chains of video game retail stores.
In view of that, we have decided to hire qualified and competent hands to occupy the following positions;
- Chief Executive Officer (Owner)
- Store Manager
- Merchandize Manager
- Sales and Marketing Manager
- Store Attendant/Customer Services Executive
Roles and Responsibilities
Chief Executive Officer – CEO (Owner):
Grows management’s effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives; developing a climate for offering information and opinion
Accountable for fixing prices and signing business deals
Responsible for providing direction for the business
Creates, communicates, and implements the organization’s vision, mission, and overall direction – i.e. leading the development and implementation of the overall organization’s strategy.
Responsible for signing checks and documents on behalf of the company
Assesses the success of the organization
- Responsible for managing the daily activities in the store
- Ensures that the store facility is in tip top shape and conducive enough to welcome customers
- Maintains office supplies by checking stocks; placing and expediting orders; evaluating new products.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; calling for repairs.
- Carries out induction for new team members
- Responsible for training, evaluation and assessment of employees
- Ensures that goods and products are properly arranged
- Handles any other duty as assigned by the CEO
- Manages vendor relations, market visits, and the ongoing education and development of the organizations’ buying teams
- Helps to ensure consistent quality of video games and video games accessories on our rack
- Responsible for the purchase of video games and video games accessories for the organization
- Responsible for planning sales, monitoring inventory, selecting the merchandise, and writing and pricing orders to vendors
Sales and Marketing Manager
- Manages external research and coordinate all the internal sources of information to retain the organizations’ best customers and attract new ones
- Models demographic information and analyze the volumes of transactional data generated by customer purchases
- Identifies, prioritizes, and reaches out to new partners, and business opportunities et al
- Responsible for supervising implementation, advocate for the customer’s needs, and communicate with clients
- Documents all customer contact and information
- Represents the company in strategic meetings
- Helps increase sales and growth for the company
- Responsible for preparing financial reports, budgets, and financial statements for the organization
- Provides managements with financial analyses, development budgets, and accounting reports
- Responsible for financial forecasting and risks analysis.
- Performs cash management, general ledger accounting, and financial reporting
- Responsible for developing and managing financial systems and policies
- Responsible for administering payrolls
- Ensures compliance with taxation legislation
- Handles all financial transactions for the organization
- Serves as internal auditor for the organization
Store Attendant/Client Service Executive
- Ensures that all contacts with customer (e-mail, walk-In center, SMS or phone) provides the client with a personalized customer service experience of the highest level
- Through interaction with customers on the phone, uses every opportunity to build client’s interest in the company’s products and services
- Manages administrative duties assigned by the store manager in an effective and timely manner
- Consistently stays abreast of any new information on products, promotional campaigns etc. to ensure accurate and helpful information is supplied to our customers when they make enquiries
- Provides information about warranties, manufacturing specifications, care and maintenance of merchandise and delivery options
- Bags or packages purchases
- Responsible for cleaning the store facility at all times
- Ensures that toiletries and supplies don’t run out of stock
- Handle any other duty as assigned by the store manager.
Video Game Store Business Plan – SWOT Analysis
Our plan of starting just one outlet of our video game retail store is to test run the business for a period of 3 to 5 years to know if we will invest more money, expand the business and then open other video games and accessories stores all over Michigan.
We are quite aware that there are several video game retail stores all over Petoskey – Michigan and even in the same location where we intend locating ours, which is why we are following the due process of establishing a business. We know that if a proper SWOT analysis is conducted for our business, we will be able to position our business to maximize our strength, leverage on the opportunities that will be available to us, mitigate our risks and be welled equipped to confront our threats.
Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. employed the services of an expert HR and Business Analyst with bias in retailing to help us conduct a thorough SWOT analysis and to help us create a Business model that will help us achieve our business goals and objectives.
This is the summary of the SWOT analysis that was conducted for Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc.
Our location, the business model we will be operating, varieties of payment options, wide range of video games and video games accessories from local and international manufacturing brands and our excellent customer service culture will definitely count as a strong strength for Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc.
A major weakness that may count against us is the fact that we are a new video game retail store in Lake Street, Petoskey – Michigan and we don’t have the financial capacity to engage in the kind of publicity that we intend giving the business.
The fact that we are going to be operating our video games and accessories store in one of the huge residential estates with the right demographic composition in Lake Street, Petoskey – Michigan provides us with unlimited opportunities to sell our video games to a large number of people.
We have been able to conduct thorough feasibility studies and market survey and we know what our potential customers will be looking for when they visit our retail store. We are well positioned to take on the opportunities that will come our way.
We are quite aware that the rising popularity of e-commerce poses a significant threat to the video games business, as consumers may substitute goods purchased online for goods purchased at video game stores due to the affordability and convenience of e-commerce and the wider range of goods that are available online.
E-commerce sales are expected to rise in 2018, posing a potential threat to the industry. Another threat that may likely confront us is the arrival of a new video games and video games accessories are retailed.
Video Game Store Business Plan – MARKET ANALYSIS
- Market Trends
If you are close observer of the toys and hobby goods industry, you will agree that during the last five years, the intensely competitive environment has driven many small players to exit the industry. Due to their size, large companies are able to offer competitively priced goods and the number of children under the age of nine is projected to grow.
Please note that spending on hobby goods and toys is generally discretionary; therefore, a rise in household disposable income would increase the propensity for customers to purchase more industry goods, leading to growth in demand. Per capita disposable income is expected to increase in 2018, creating a potential opportunity for the industry.
Although these trends are forecast to continue over the next 5 years, some video game retail stores will benefit from increasing demand for new technologies, such as video games. Beyond every reasonable doubt, the video game retail store that can successfully flow with the trend and keep up with consumer and technology trends will definitely fare well in the coming years
It is now a common phenomenon for video game retail stores to leverage on technology to effectively predict consumer demand patterns and to strategically position their store to meet their needs; in essence, the use of technology helps retailers to maximize supply chain efficiencies. No doubt data collected from customers goes a long way to help retail stores serve them better.
- Our Target Market
When it comes to selling items that are found in video game retail stores, there is indeed a wide range of available customers. In essence, our target market can’t be restricted to just a group of people, but all those who reside in the locations where we intend opening our video game retail store. One thing is certain, we will ensure that we only retail quality and affordable items in our video game retail store.
In view of that, we have positioned our video game retail store to service residents of Petoskey – Michigan and every other location where our video game retail store will be located in the United States of America. We are in business to retail video games and video games accessories to the following groups of people;
- Schools and Students
- Households (parents)
- Video game lounge owners
- Video game rental business owners
The competitive advantages that will help us standout from our competitors is not restricted to having an exclusive sales contract, stocking seasonal products and access to highly skilled workforce. Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. is launching a standard video game retail store that will indeed become the preferred choice in Lake Street, Petoskey – Michigan.
Our video game retail store is located in a corner piece property on a busy road directly opposite one of the largest residential estates in Petoskey – Michigan. One thing is certain, we will ensure that we have a wide range of quality and affordable items in our store at all times. It will be difficult for customers to visit our store and not see the items that they are looking for.
Our highly experienced and qualified management, customer service culture, online store, various payment options and highly secured facility with enough packing space will also serve as a competitive advantage for us.
Lastly, all our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category in the industry. It will enable them to be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our business aims and objectives.
Video Game Store Business Plan – SALES AND MARKETING STRATEGY
- Sources of Income
Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. is established with the aim of maximizing profits in the industry and we are going to go ensure that we do all it takes to sell a wide range of video games to a wide range of customers. Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. will generate income by;
- Retailing a wide range of video games from top flight video games companies like Microsoft Corporation, Nintendo Co. Ltd., Activision Blizzard Inc., GameStop Corp., Sony Corporation and Electronic Arts Inc.
- Video games renting services
- Sale of video games accessories
- Retailing traditional entertainment and learning games
It is important to state that our sales forecast is based on the data gathered during our feasibility studies, market survey and also some of the assumptions readily available on the field.
One thing is common with video game retail store, the larger the store, the larger the number of customers that will patronize them. Although we may not be as large as Hobby Lobby Stores Inc.and Michaels Stores, but we will ensure that within our capacity we make available a wide range of items from different brands in our store.
Below are the sales projections that we were able to come up with for the first three years of operations;
- First Fiscal Year: $120,000
- Second Fiscal Year: $250,000
- Third Fiscal Year: $450,000
N.B: This projection was done based on what is obtainable in the industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and the arrival of a competitor in same location as ours within the period stated above. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
- Marketing Strategy and Sales Strategy
Prior to choosing a location for Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. we conduct a thorough market survey and feasibility studies in order for us to penetrate the available market and become the preferred choice in Petoskey – Michigan.
We hired experts who have good understanding of the video game retail stores industry to help us develop marketing strategies that will help us achieve our business goal of winning a larger percentage of the available market in Lake Street, Petoskey – Michigan.
In summary, Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. will adopt the following sales and marketing approach to win customers over;
- Introduce our video game retail store by sending introductory letters to schools, residence, and other key stake holders in and around Lake Street, Petoskey – Michigan
- Open our video game retail store with an open house party for children in the community
- Advertise our business in community based newspapers, local TV and radio stations
- List our business on yellow pages’ ads (local directories)
- Attend trade fairs and relevant exhibitions to sell our video game and video game accessories
- Leverage on the internet to promote our business
- Engage in direct marketing
- Encourage word of mouth marketing (referrals) from satisfied and loyal customers
Video Game Store Business Plan – Publicity and Advertising Strategy
Despite the fact that our video game retail store is well located, we will still go ahead to intensify publicity for the business. We are going to explore all available means to promote our video game retail store.
Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. has a long-term plan of opening chains of video game retail stores in various locations, which is why we will deliberately build our brand to be well accepted in Lake Street, Petoskey – Michigan before venturing out.
Here are the platforms we intend leveraging on to promote and advertise Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc.;
- Place adverts on both print (community based newspapers and magazines) and electronic media platforms
- Sponsor relevant community programs
- Leverage on the internet and social media platforms like; Instagram, Facebook, twitter, et al to promote our brand
- Install our billboards in strategic locations all around Lake Street, Petoskey – Michigan
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas in the community where our video game retail store is located
- Position our Flexi Banners at strategic positions in the location where our video game retail store is located.
- Ensure that all our workers wear our branded shirts and all our vehicles are well branded with our organization’s logo et al.
Our Pricing Strategy
Pricing is one of the key factors that gives leverage to video game retail stores, it is normal for consumers to go to places where they can get items at cheaper price which is why big players in the industry attract loads of consumers.
We know we don’t have the capacity to compete with other video game retail stores, but we will ensure that the prices of all the video games and accessories that are available in our store are competitive with what is obtainable amongst video game retail stores within our level and in our location.
- Payment Options
The payment policy adopted by Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. is all inclusive because we are quite aware that different customers prefer different payment options as it suits them but at the same time, we will ensure that we abide by the financial rules and regulation of the United States of America.
Here are the payment options that Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. will make available to her clients;
- Payment with cash
- Payment via credit cards
- Payment via online bank transfer
- Payment via check
- Payment via mobile money transfer
In view of the above, we have chosen banking platforms that will enable our clients make payment for our video games and video game accessories without any stress on their part. Our bank account numbers will be made available on our website and promotional materials.
- Startup Expenditure (Budget)
When it comes to starting a video game retail store business, the major areas that you will spend the bulk of your cash is in renting or leasing a standard store facility. Aside from that, you are not expected to spend much except for paying of your employees and the stocking of your store with a wide range of video games and accessories.
These are the key areas where we will spend our startup capital;
- The total fee for registering the Business in the United States of America – $750.
- Legal expenses for obtaining licenses and permits as well as the accounting services (software, P.O.S machines and other software) – $1,300.
- Marketing promotion expenses for the grand opening of Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. in the amount of $3,500 and as well as flyer printing (2,000 flyers at $0.04 per copy) for the total amount of – $3,580.
- The cost for hiring business consultant – $2,500.
- Insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation and property casualty) coverage at a total premium – $2,400.
- The cost for payment of rent for 12 months at $1.76 per square feet in the total amount of $55,240.
- The cost for shop remodeling (construction of racks and shelves) – $20,000.
- Other start-up expenses including stationery ($500) and phone and utility deposits – ($2,500).
- Operational cost for the first 3 months (salaries of employees, payments of bills et al) – $60,000
- The cost for Start-up inventory (stocking with a wide range of both locally and imported quality video games and video game accessories from different manufacturing brands) – $70,000
- The cost for store equipment (cash register, security, ventilation, signage) – $13,750
- The cost of purchase and installation of CCTVs – $5,000
- The cost for the purchase of furniture and gadgets (Computers, Printers, Telephone, TVs, Sound System, tables and chairs et al) – $4,000.
- The cost of Launching a Website – $600
- The cost for our opening party – $7,000
- Miscellaneous – $10,000
We would need an estimate of $200,000 to successfully set up our video game retail store in Lake Street, Petoskey – Michigan.
Generating Fund/Startup Capital for Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc.
Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. is owned and financed by Joel Anderson and his immediate family members. They do not intend to welcome any external business partners which is why they decided to restrict the sourcing of the startup capital to 3 major sources.
- Generate part of the startup capital from personal savings
- Source for soft loans from family members and friends
- Apply for loan from my Bank
N.B: We have been able to generate about $100,000 (Personal savings $75,000 and soft loan from family members $25,000) and we are at the final stages of obtaining a loan facility of $100,000 from our bank. All the papers and documents have been signed and submitted, the loan has been approved and any moment from now our account will be credited with the amount.
Video Game Store Business Plan – Sustainability and Expansion Strategy
The future of a business lies in the number of loyal customers that they have, the capacity and competence of their employees, their investment strategy and the business structure. If all of these factors are missing from a business, then it won’t be too long before the business close shop.
One of our major goals of starting Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. is to build a business that will survive off its own cash flow without the need for injecting finance from external sources once the business is officially running. We know that one of the ways of gaining approval and winning customers over is to sell our video games and video game accessories a little bit cheaper than what is obtainable in the market and we are prepared to survive on lower profit margin for a while.
Planet Excel™ Video Game Store, Inc. will make sure that the right foundation, structures and processes are put in place to ensure that our staff welfare are well taken of. Our organizations’ corporate culture is designed to drive our business to greater heights and training and re – training of our workforce is at the top burner.
As a matter of fact, profit-sharing arrangement will be made available to all our management staff and it will be based on their performance for a period of three years or more. We know that if that is put in place, we will be able to successfully hire and retain the best hands we can get in the industry; they will be more committed to help us build the business of our dreams.
- Business Name Availability Check: Completed
- Business Registration: Completed
- Opening of Corporate Bank Accounts: Completed
- Securing Point of Sales (POS) Machines: Completed
- Opening Mobile Money Accounts: Completed
- Opening Online Payment Platforms: Completed
- Application and Obtaining Tax Payer’s ID: In Progress
- Application for business license and permit: Completed
- Purchase of Insurance for the Business: Completed
- Leasing of facility and remodeling the store: In Progress
- Conducting Feasibility Studies: Completed
- Generating capital from family members: Completed
- Applications for Loan from the bank: In Progress
- Writing of Business Plan: Completed
- Drafting of Employee’s Handbook: Completed
- Drafting of Contract Documents and other relevant Legal Documents: In Progress
- Design of The Company’s Logo: Completed
- Printing of Promotional Materials: In Progress
- Recruitment of employees: In Progress
- Purchase of the needed furniture, racks, shelves, computers, electronic appliances, office appliances and CCTV: In progress
- Stocking our store with a wide range of video games and video game accessories: In Progress
- Creating Official Website for the Company: In Progress
- Creating Awareness for the business both online and around the community: In Progress
- Health and Safety and Fire Safety Arrangement (License): Secured
- Opening party/launching party planning: In Progress
- Compilation of our list of products (video games and video game accessories) that will be available in our store: Completed
- Establishing business relationship with vendors – wholesale suppliers of various brands of products (video games and video game accessories) that we intend retailing: In Progress