So you have been thinking; weighing your options to determine if starting a clothing line is the right step for you to take and that’s a good thing because starting a clothing line is not something to be rushed into. You have to carefully consider if it’s a viable business and whether or not you have what it takes to succeed in the business. So, here are 10 reasons why you should start your own clothing line.
N.B-: This article was culled from: “The Complete Guide to Starting a Clothing Line from Scratch.”
10 Reasons Why You Should Start your Own Clothing Line
1. You are stylish and influential-: Do you often get stares of admiration when you walk into a place? Do people compliment almost everything you wear? Do you see yourself as a very stylish person? If your answers are yes, then that is the first pointer to the fact that starting a clothing line is the right business for you. When people see you as stylish and even kind of look up to you for advice and tips on dressing and fashion, then you won’t have a problem convincing them to buy your products.
2. You are very creative-: Starting and running your own clothing line need a high level of creativity. You may be able to employ people to handle the design process but you still have to have some amount of creativity in you to be able to scrutinize, select and criticize designs. You also have to be able to make some designs yourself too.
So if you have designed some stuff in the past, maybe just as a hobby or for some friends and people could not stop complimenting and talking about those designs, then maybe it’s time to start making money from that hobby of yours.
3. You are not scared of hard work-: I mean real hard work. Starting a clothing line goes beyond making some few pieces of clothes and sending them off to the market. You have to figure out a lot of things like where you would get raw materials from, how you would market and promote your products, how to increase revenue and profitability, how you would beat the competitors and a host of other things.
4. Neither are you scared of competition-: The truth is, the fashion industry is very competitive and there are tons of clothing brands in the market as we speak. Starting a clothing line is now as easy as taking a trip to China to get some factory sew you some clothes and attach your label on it.
Sometimes, you won’t even have to go through the stress of traveling to China; what’s the internet for? If you are someone who is a competitor, someone who doesn’t see the competition as a threat but an inspiration, then you should start planning to start your clothing line as we speak.
5. You have access to funding-: Some have capital but do not know what to do with it while for some people, there are business ideas and plans but funding is a challenge. Starting a clothing line is no small financial undertaking.
Although you can start small, you would still need enough money to start and promote your business. So if you have some money sitting somewhere without an idea of what to do with it, then you should consider the option of investing in your own clothing line.
6. You have something unique to offer-: Like I mentioned above, starting a clothing line is about creativity. You are not just going to be churning out some copy cat pieces. You would have to make unique clothing designs. So, if you feel like you have some ideas up your sleeve, something new that you could bring into the industry; some gaps that you have identified and you think that you have what it takes to fill, then you should go right ahead to start your clothing line.
7. You have contacts in the industry-: Do you know some of the movers and shakers of the fashion industry in your location? How much experience do you have in the industry? Have you worked in the fashion industry maybe as a stylist or an assistant? Then you won’t have a problem when you start because you would need some of these contacts to promote your brand when you start.
8. You have some basic sewing knowledge-: Assuming you didn’t know what water looked or tasted like, I could pour you some engine oil and call it water and well, you would take it from me because you have no idea of what water should look or taste like. That’s what happens when you go ahead to start a clothing line without having basic sewing knowledge.
Yes, you would employ people to handle the sewing but how would you be able to communicate your ideas to them and direct them on how to execute projects. There would be errors to correct and adjustments to make but how would you go about it when you have no idea of how it should be done?
9. You have a business plan-: If you have a business plan written and you already know all what you need to start the business, you have your visions and mission figured out, you have carefully analyzed the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities as well as threats of the business and you feel like it’s a viable business, then you have one of the major tools you need to start a clothing line. What are you still waiting for?
10. And a marketing plan too-: The production aspect of your clothing line business is just half of the work. You also need to figure out how to market and sell your products, how to advertise your products. Would you open your own retail store? Would you work with a distributor instead? Are you willing to explore online selling options?
If you feel like you already have these figured out, then you have what it takes to start a clothing line and you shouldn’t waste one more second before you start your clothing business. Remember, clothing business is good business; why? Because everyone wears clothes!